Bobby Madley: The truth?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

The Old Man of Storr

Re: Bobby Madley: The truth?

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:17 am

Poor old Judy , I mean she's no oil painting nowadays but to call her a dog.....that's just rude .

BondsoBob

Post by BondsoBob » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:38 am

I feel for the bloke. We've all done stupid things that we instantly regret. Sometimes some of us get away with it, sometimes we don't.

Eggs'n'nuts

Post by Eggs'n'nuts » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:52 pm

BondsoBob wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:38 am
I feel for the bloke. We've all done stupid things that we instantly regret. Sometimes some of us get away with it, sometimes we don't.
This.

He who casts the first stone and all that. Reading the posts of others that have seen him perform over the years far more than me, it's always come across as him not being the most complete and competent referee in the professional game, but I don't think he was any better or worse than the rest of them.

The lid has got to lifted one day on The PGMOLiverpool (as Preview Percy calls them).

Samba

Post by Samba » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:16 am

jastons wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:41 am
Sh*gged his Jack Russell. Allegedly.
:lol:

Samba

Post by Samba » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:17 am

Kialos wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:02 am
After reading this

"I sent it as a private text to somebody who I trusted, somebody who had been a huge part of my life for the previous 10 years and who I was on reasonable terms with."

Who else thought
Rebekah Vardy
:lol:

Samba

Post by Samba » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:21 am

Better than Noble's letter!
Got a lot of sympathy for him. And another good warning for all of us to heed.

S-H

Post by S-H » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:09 am

Not the truth, I was hoping for to be honest. I suppose this would have been in the snug, if it was..

Fair play to him though, that is a well written piece, and you do have to feel for him, social media is a plague on society.
Last edited by S-H on Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Old Man of Storr

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:39 am

Be nice to see some consistency in these dismissal / disciplinary hearings - right across the board for everyone not just the select few .

Imagine a Top Premiership Striker had posted what Madely did .

Not even a fine I bet .

Graza

Post by Graza » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:09 am

The Old Man of Storr wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:39 am
Be nice to see some consistency in these dismissal / disciplinary hearings - right across the board for everyone not just the select few .

Imagine a Top Premiership Striker had posted what Madely did .

Not even a fine I bet .
A footballer would have been fined by their club, fined by the league and would probably have donated time and money to a charity that helps the group they had ****ed off.

Mere mortals are disposable however.

It's obviously a stupid thing to say. It's obviously discriminatory. He's had a dark thought about all the **** he's had thrown at him and sent it to someone who had the context for it and probably laughed themselves. I know a number of people with all sorts of disabilities, some would have laughed at his comment and replied "no chance you fat f***" others would have been mortified and very cross. It is where we are as a society. I can't figure out why he didn't say this then? Could it have saved his job? Maybe, possibly not. Would also have quashed all the stupidity about dogs, that said I used to work with a guy who was actually fired and prosecuted for making films of a brass and his dog so it does happen.

That's said he was a **** ref.

e-20

Post by e-20 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:19 am

How long had he been with his ex partner I wonder.

The Old Man of Storr

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:24 am

e-20 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:19 am
How long had he been with his ex partner I wonder.
In dog years ?

Samba

Post by Samba » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:36 pm

Graza wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:09 am
It's obviously a stupid thing to say. It's obviously discriminatory. He's had a dark thought about all the **** he's had thrown at him and sent it to someone who had the context for it and probably laughed themselves. I know a number of people with all sorts of disabilities, some would have laughed at his comment and replied "no chance you fat ****" others would have been mortified and very cross. It is where we are as a society. I can't figure out why he didn't say this then? Could it have saved his job? Maybe, possibly not. Would also have quashed all the stupidity about dogs, that said I used to work with a guy who was actually fired and prosecuted for making films of a brass and his dog so it does happen.
Clearly, once the HR nazi's were involved, he was f*cked.
They are the police (who themselves are not policed) in any business but, accountable to nobody except at best, an industrial tribunal.
They don't care about moralities but they DO care about what THEIR actions look like, especially in a case like this.
FAR easier to f*ck him over than have to risk defending themselves against possibly looking like they had condoned some kind of disability discrimination. Even though imo, it wasn't. It was someone attempting to make a funny, at his OWN expense. He wasn't taking the piss out of the person he filmed. Again, imo. I don't care how sh*t he was or wasn't as a ref, that had nothing to do with this case.
No, by sacking him, they can take some kind of moral high ground & say, 'Look at us, we do the correct thing'.
One of the morals of the story is, who in your life can you really trust, sending stuff to?

Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"

Post by Tristan Shout » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:00 pm

Seems very harsh, I've got a few mates that send me the occasional "close to the knuckle" meme's or funny pictures, usually just after a celebrity has died or something terrible has happened in the news,.
I usually look at it, if it's funny I'll laugh to myself, if it's really funny I might forward it on to other like minded friends, If it is a picture of a fat person in an amusing compromising position or predicament, I might chuckle to myself, but does that warrant me losing my job? I've got a wife, two kids and a mortgage, it's not like I've gone out and assaulted someone or verbally abused someone, I've just looked at a picture message, that's hardly a crime

Vic_Watson

Post by Vic_Watson » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:05 pm

Tristan Shout wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:00 pm
Seems very harsh, I've got a few mates that send me the occasional "close to the knuckle" meme's or funny pictures, usually just after a celebrity has died or something terrible has happened in the news,.
I usually look at it, if it's funny I'll laugh to myself, if it's really funny I might forward it on to other like minded friends, If it is a picture of a fat person in an amusing compromising position or predicament, I might chuckle to myself, but does that warrant me losing my job? I've got a wife, two kids and a mortgage, it's not like I've gone out and assaulted someone or verbally abused someone, I've just looked at a picture message, that's hardly a crime
Now I know what an unhealthy interest in "dogging" means. :wink:

Johnny Byrne's Boots

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:17 pm

Tristan Shout wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:00 pm
Indeed. When Antonio crashed his car at Christmas, up popped a picture of an old lady and her mobility scooter in a trench. Is that discriminatory? Mocking a disabled, elderly woman scores at least two out of three on the off limits list according to the permanently offended.

Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"

Post by Tristan Shout » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:44 pm

I've seen that picture, didn't find it that funny but I can see the amusing side, that is where the difference is, I can look at that picture and smile but at no point would I ever push a disabled old lady into a hole then stand there pointing and laughing at her, I'd be the first to run to her rescue and help her out and make sure she was ok, also I shouldn't lose my job if I forward the picture on to a friend

alf git

Post by alf git » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:14 pm

And there you have it.
From beastiality to pushing disabled oaps into earthworks. It's a slippery slope i tell thee.

IG8Hammer

Post by IG8Hammer » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:55 pm

I do feel for him.

Presumably it was a completely 'harmless joke', in that the person in the video knew nothing about it, and the person it was sent to wasn't offended, but just leaked it to get him back.

However, being a referee, like say a teacher, you need to maintain yourself as a person of good character.

psychoscoredthelot

Post by psychoscoredthelot » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:55 pm

The Old Man of Storr wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:24 am
In dog years ?
:scarfer:

Kialos

Post by Kialos » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:14 pm

The irony for me is that I thought he was a pretty poor referee, promoted to the PL to soon and as such is not missed but it seems harsh he's been disposed off in the manner he has.

Obviously we've only got one side here but on face value it does seem like something that could have been dealt with by issuing a warning letter as to future conduct in the first instance rather than instant dismissal. Still think there might be more to it than meets the eye particularly with the PGMO who I don't think are strangers to infighting and agendas.