Bobby Madley: The truth?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

S-H

Re: Bobby Madley: The truth?

Post by S-H » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:24 pm

White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:24 am

The Old Man of Storr wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:17 am
Poor old Judy , I mean she's no oil painting nowadays but to call her a dog.....that's just rude .
Well played Sir!

White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:31 am

IG8Hammer wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:55 pm
I do feel for him.

Presumably it was a completely 'harmless joke', in that the person in the video knew nothing about it, and the person it was sent to wasn't offended, but just leaked it to get him back.

However, being a referee, like say a teacher, you need to maintain yourself as a person of good character.
Me too. I find it hard to believe with his family situation that he harbours ill feeling towards the disabled.

Like he says 6 seconds, ruined his life and by extension his family's.

I've made much darker jokes to friends and I've seen much worse on here.

Yes, what he said is not entirely pleasant but it was never for wider distribution and his "friend" is, what I think they refer to in the business, as a ****.

Look at this way, Frankie Boyle (who I used to find funny) once said on stage "why did Jordan go out with a cage fighter? Because she needed someone hard enough to stop Harvey ****ing her" .

I believe the right on BBC still employ him.

They also ran a competition which Ben Stokes won this year having mocked the same kid (poor ****er) in a video that everyone has seen.

IG8Hammer

Post by IG8Hammer » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:36 am

White Goodman wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:31 am
Me too. I find it hard to believe with his family situation that he harbours ill feeling towards the disabled.

Like he says 6 seconds, ruined his life and by extension his family's.

I've made much darker jokes to friends and I've seen much worse on here.

Yes, what he said is not entirely pleasant but it was never for wider distribution and his "friend" is, what I think they refer to in the business, as a ****.

Look at this way, Frankie Boyle (who I used to find funny) once said on stage "why did Jordan go out with a cage fighter? Because she needed someone hard enough to stop Harvey ****ing her" .

I believe the right on BBC still employ him.

They also ran a competition which Ben Stokes won this year having mocked the same kid (poor ****er) in a video that everyone has seen.
Yes, I don't think he deserved to lose his job over. it To be honest, I doubt many employers would have sacked an employee over this alone. I think the issue for the FA would have been that if they didn't do anything, person x would have leaked it to the press and they didn't want to have to deal with the backlash.

Graza

Post by Graza » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:22 pm

White Goodman wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:31 am
That's tame for Boyle.

Look at the comment about Gretta the other day on the last leg https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/02/last-leg ... -11992781/

She'll get another gig.

The inconsistency of application gets me as much if not more than anything else. Just like refereeing...

szola

Post by szola » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:20 pm

Did Bobby have someone in his corner versed in the laws of the land?

Being a PL referee means world wide exposure, so they should be more paranoid than most.

Why haven't Bobby sued his frenemy?

Graza

Post by Graza » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:27 pm

szola wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:20 pm
Did Bobby have someone in his corner versed in the laws of the land?

Being a PL referee means world wide exposure, so they should be more paranoid than most.

Why haven't Bobby sued his frenemy?
Articles said he had his union rep who one would have to assume would know enough about the situation and the surrounding terms of misconduct.

A better question might be "was his frenemy ever found?"

Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:57 pm

Graza wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:22 pm
The inconsistency of application gets me as much if not more than anything else. Just like refereeing...
Both Rosie Jones and Frankie Boyle are comedians though. They're not held to same standard as a Premier League match official.

That said the FA has no backbone and if this is all there was to it I fail to see why a disciplinary followed by some form of "re-education" an apology and posting of the video wouldn't have been sufficient punishment.

Seems like both parties wanted it to go away quietly but then worse rumours spread on social as is often the case when you try to hush something up.

mushy

Post by mushy » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:18 am

There is nothing new in the article is there, this was just the same stuff repeated from newspaper articles from two years ago.

So, why come out with it all again now?
Probably more to this then meets the eye.

rciron

Post by rciron » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:58 am

mushy wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:18 am
There is nothing new in the article is there, this was just the same stuff repeated from newspaper articles from two years ago.

So, why come out with it all again now?
Probably more to this then meets the eye.
:thup: was thinking the same thing

Gnome
Quite eloquent for a garden ornament

Post by Gnome » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:11 pm

Old news but it does highlight some of the structural issues which blight top level refereeing in this country.

A lot of people on here saying the FA ought to do this or that but in fact they are fairly powerless to do anything.

Back in 2001 it was agreed that referees needed to be professional at the top level. FIFA statutes say that refereeing is the responsibility of the relevant national association so it was the FA's responsibility to organise professional refereeing if that's the way they wanted to go. However back then the FA's coffers weren't overfull - there was a nice shiny new Wembley due to be built and that was going to cost a fortune, so the extra expense of funding the select group was going to prove difficult.

The solution was to set up PGMOL jointly with the Premier League (awash with tv money) and the Football League. This saved the FA a fortune but the down side was that all responsibility for standards and disciplinary matters was now vested in an organisation that, to all intents and purposes, is run by referees and ex-referees. This is in contravention of the FIFA statutes, which requires any referees committee or organisation to be "directly subordinate" to the national association.

So while a national association in charge of all refereeing might reasonably be expected to operate in the best interests of the game as a whole, a PGMOL style organisation will have a natural tendency to protect the interests of referees first, at the expense of the game in general.

Given the low standards of refereeing that are deemed to be "acceptable" by PGMOL a referee is far more likely to be dismissed for something like the Madley affair than he is for actually being no good at the job. The suspicion is that Madley's face didn't fit with Riley and his cronies. This has happened before with PGMOL when Matt Messias was rated among England's top 4 referees by UEFA who gave him match after match, while PGMOL disagreed with his style and barely gave him a game towards the end of his career. The suspicion is, therefore, that Madley simply gave PGMOL a convenient reason to give him the boot.

None of which explains why nobody at PGMOL has been asked to explain why they made a false statement suggesting that Madley left for family reasons. After all how can anyone trust referees if the organisation that supplies them lies to us?

mushy

Post by mushy » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:44 pm

Thanks for the clarification Gnome, nice to have an insiders knowledge.

Vic_Watson

Post by Vic_Watson » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:58 pm

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:37 pm

Not sure what this I doing in the General Discussion thread and not under the Film, Music and TV, but anyhow, for what its worth, I thought he was at his best when he had The Wailers as his backing group

Boooogers!

Post by Boooogers! » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:43 pm

Good to see him back.

Any news on Delli Ali's punishment for mocking an entire race and over 1,000 coronavirus death victims and posting it on to social media?

I assume the PFA and the Premier League will be applying similar standards of punishment here...

Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:57 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:37 pm
Not sure what this I doing in the General Discussion thread and not under the Film, Music and TV, but anyhow, for what its worth, I thought he was at his best when he had The Wailers as his backing group
I preferred him when he presented This Morning. Several classes above Schofield, Holmes or Leslie.

e-20

Post by e-20 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:46 pm

Boooogers! wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:43 pm
Good to see him back.

Any news on Delli Ali's punishment for mocking an entire race and over 1,000 coronavirus death victims and posting it on to social media?

I assume the PFA and the Premier League will be applying similar standards of punishment here...
I think like so many others they need to refer to the universal race pecking order guide before making any decision as to whether they are worth smacking a pro footballers wrist over ... or perhaps how many care if they dont. Think that's how modern morality works in such organisations.

e-20

Post by e-20 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:06 pm

wow Gnome so that's why the PGMOL managed without even a rueful smile to claim that referees, prior to VAR, got 95% of major decisions correct, when anyone with half a brain, be it through watching matches or who understands the maths behind percentages, knows such a claim was 100% impossible to sustain beyond the language of mythology.

Might also explain my experience many years back when Poll managed to jump out of the way without warning to allow Chelsea to simply stroke in an equalising free kick in a cup match. I emailed them and to my surprise actually got a reply. It said that while they did not admit to any error on Polls part I could be re-assured it would not happen again. A year later the same ref did the same thing this time with Chelsea being the victim. What goes around comes around maybe, not that it helped us, but shows no one knows what's going on or around the Refs' private club. I bet they even have a funny handshake to keep everyone onside.

Westbourne Bill

Post by Westbourne Bill » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:15 pm

If it had been a Prem footballer and not a Prem referee, there is absolutely no way he would have been sacked. That's the reality.

Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:18 pm

e-20 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:46 pm
I think like so many others they need to refer to the universal race pecking order guide before making any decision as to whether they are worth smacking a pro footballers wrist over ... or perhaps how many care if they dont. Think that's how modern morality works in such organisations.
Social Justice Warrior Top Trumps
SJW1: "I play my transexual card."
SJW2: "I raise you a race card - Asian local businessman."
SJW1: "Hmmm... I'm going to have to play my black lesbian social worker card."
SJW2: "NOoooooooooooooooo!"