Mark Noble's letter to us - 31/12/2019

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

scatts

Mark Noble's letter to us - 31/12/2019

Post by scatts » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:43 pm

I doubt he would be allowed to write and send such a letter so I'm treating this as propaganda from the owners. Nevertheless, it's an interesting insight. Here's my interpretation:

Hello everyone.

As captain of this great football club, I want to speak directly to you, my fellow West Ham United supporters.

> I'm the only person you might listen to. Maybe Declan, but I'm "Captain West Ham" so it's me.

I know that we were going through a difficult time and the club decided to make a decision to change manager.

> Stating the obvious just in case anyone missed it.

David Moyes knows the club and he knows a lot of the players and the players he worked with - myself, Manu, Angelo, Arthur, Cress, Dec, Reidy, Michail and Zaba - really liked and respected him and the way he worked when he was here. He got players playing to their full potential and I hope and believe he can do it again.

> Moyes knows some of our players (although probably not the most important ones). Some of the people he worked with before thought he was okay (but not all of them). I think he might get some players playing well again but I'm not certain so we'll just have to wait and see.

I know the fans are not happy with the situation we find ourselves in, but we all love and support our club and we need to get behind the manager and try to get ourselves out of this position.

> We've read the social media following Moyes' appointment and we are a bit worried about it.

The manager worked for a long time at a club that is very similar to West Ham in Everton, and you don't stay at a club for that long under the scrutiny of passionate fans unless you are good at your job.

> We've noticed some of you like what he did at Everton many, many years ago and so we'd like to highlight this as being a straw to clutch at.

I think David is the best person for the job.

> I had to say that but I'd prefer to add ..."under the circumstances".

My main thing is that I have always put the club before myself in my career. I just want us to do well. The last few seasons have been full of ups and downs, and I just want the club to be stable.

> I've had enough of this crap and probably you have too.

We hoped that would happen with Manuel because he is such a great guy and had a proven managerial pedigree, but we now need to get back to what we are as West Ham United and achieve realistic targets before aiming higher. When Manuel was appointed, I was really hoping it would be that way, but it didn't work out.

> I'm not going to explain why it went wrong but the bottom line is that any "great" manager doesn't stand a chance here and neither are we able to get to the "next level", so let's be realistic about that.

I enjoyed some fantastic football under him and learned so much from him and his staff and I know they were genuinely gutted that it didn't work out, but I do feel like we need to walk before we can run and build something.

> (until something more structural changes)..the best we can hope for in the next ten years or so is repeatable, cup-free, mid-table finishes so let's just get used to that, eh?

We need to win football matches and, however that comes at the minute, I'll take that.

> Our football won't be pretty but with luck we might get a few points.

Everybody knows I care for this football club and I want to win so badly, not just for myself but for every West Ham United fan out there.

> You can believe what I say because I'm just like you, only richer.

Sometimes I take so much pressure on my own shoulders that every time we make a mistake or concede a goal, I blame myself, rightly or wrongly, and my emotion can come out.

> Not really sure why this part is here.

That's why I have played at this level for so long, because I care so much, and I want us to do well.

> This also. Maybe they think these sentences will appeal to fan's emotions and add weight to all the key messages?

I know it's a tough time for the fans, I understand that, but I do believe we need to come together and show the manager support and start getting results because, at the end of the day, results are all that matters.

> We know a lot of you don't like Moyes and will be disappointed that the "next level" idea is pretty much dead in the water but we'd like to keep the money from staying in the Premier League and also to avoid any more protests.

Let's hope we all enjoy a happy New Year.

Come on you Irons!

e17

Re: Mark Noble's letter to us - 31/12/2019

Post by e17 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:48 pm

Metal Hammer

Post by Metal Hammer » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:53 pm

Please don't shout abuse at my mate David Sullivan

S-H

Post by S-H » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:55 pm

Arch Dandy

Post by Arch Dandy » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:06 pm

Dear Mister "You're not Good so i Call and Write My Fans"
This will be the last chant I ever send your ass
It's been 10 years and still no trophies, we don't deserve it?
I know you got my last two protests, we shouted the words out perfect..

e17

Post by e17 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:06 pm

scatts wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:43 pm
Sometimes I take so much pressure on my own shoulders that every time we make a mistake or concede a goal, I blame myself, rightly or wrongly, and my emotion can come out.

> Not really sure why this part is here.

That's why I have played at this level for so long, because I care so much, and I want us to do well.

> This also. Maybe they think these sentences will appeal to fan's emotions and add weight to all the key messages?
First bit: disclaimer about him having a pop at Oggy

Second bit: Pure club rep big up. Reads like a child has written a thesis on why they love West Ham

e17

Post by e17 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:11 pm

Fair play to “Mark” though - Not accidentally left a bit in about growing up in 4-4-2 Green Street, Canning Town.

Or mistaken his mate Angelo for his old mate Pedro :wink:

bonzosbeard

Post by bonzosbeard » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:14 pm

At first I thought this was a joke.

Yet another reason why I'm going off him and other fans are right to see this for what it is.

fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:16 pm

Running out of credible allies ain't they.

Previously this would have been met with mild backing from most fans. Now, like everything the owners associate themselves with, he just looks bad.

At best I feel indifferent towards it. At worst I think he looks like a bloke desperate for the status quo to remain as is because he is desperate to still be relevant. And whilst I still believe he's a good player, the next level for us probably doesn't involve him anymore.

Italian Hammer

Post by Italian Hammer » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:16 pm

Just comes across as "please don't protest live on tv as the owners really really don't want that".

FWIW - don't think there should be a protest inside the stadium during the bournemouth game as it will just have a negative effect on the team.

johnnyb

Post by johnnyb » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:20 pm

This and all the other sh*t player interviews on the OS do my head in. Just keep your traps shut about needing to work harder and must do better etc etc and just go and show us on the pitch.

denzel

Post by denzel » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:20 pm

Arch Dandy wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:06 pm
outStanding

Rozzop

Post by Rozzop » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:27 pm

He is apart of the problem. He should have been upgraded years ago and is not a good captain in my opinion.

thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:34 pm

johnnyb wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:20 pm
This and all the other sh*t player interviews on the OS do my head in. Just keep your traps shut about needing to work harder and must do better etc etc and just go and show us on the pitch.
I agree, but I'm sure other clubs have very similar social media profiles.

If you go on the Arsenal website right now you'll probably see Ozil saying how great Arteta is and Chambers saying they need to all work harder for results.

scatts

Post by scatts » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:35 pm

e17 wrote:
First bit: disclaimer about him having a pop at Oggy

Second bit: Pure club rep big up. Reads like a child has written a thesis on why they love West Ham
Good points, e17, thanks!

scatts

Post by scatts » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:36 pm

fjthegrey wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:16 pm
Running out of credible allies ain't they.

Previously this would have been met with mild backing from most fans. Now, like everything the owners associate themselves with, he just looks bad.

At best I feel indifferent towards it. At worst I think he looks like a bloke desperate for the status quo to remain as is because he is desperate to still be relevant. And whilst I still believe he's a good player, the next level for us probably doesn't involve him anymore.
:thup:

e17

Post by e17 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:40 pm

This bit of his letter:
at the end of the day, results are all that matters.
That’s the only bit that is sincere from the letter writer

Pob!

Post by Pob! » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:40 pm

Mr West Ham! :lol:

Dildo Dave's public puppet who holds NO clout whatsoever, he should take a long look at himself before having the audacity to address us with some media friendly bull**** statement.

f*** off Mark, you are a part of the problem not a solution.
Last edited by Up the Junction on Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited by moderator.

Paolopaul

Post by Paolopaul » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:44 pm

A bit harsh, the letter may be a bit misguided but there can be little doubt Mark Noble really loves and cares about West Ham.

I can see what he was trying to achieve by sending this out, but the disconnect between the club and fans is too big for things like this to work.

Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.

Post by Croydon » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:47 pm

Arch Dandy wrote:
:thup: