Mark Noble's letter to us - 31/12/2019

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

bonzosbeard

Re: Mark Noble's letter to us - 31/12/2019

Post by bonzosbeard » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:53 pm

He played well today. I don't want to hear stuff from him which I think supports the board.

As it happens I agreed with them getting pelligrini and wasn't off the idea of getting Moyes.

What I hate is the notion they saved us and the fact the net spend is far lower than these supposed big transfer window cash splashes.

Then there is the stadium issue and next level.

Mark just play well on the pitch and leave it at that. Cheers

westham,eggyandchips

Post by westham,eggyandchips » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:56 pm

RichieRiv wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:00 pm
S-h is correct. This is in his contract. He has very little choice.

He really does take every loss personally. He has always done so since breaking into the first team. He really does think that he has let the team and the supporters down every single loss.

He is not "milking" the club. He has been very sensible in his preparation for the day he hangs his boots up.

Once again I read unsubstantiated conjecture and frankly utter b*llocks.
He doesn't need to write letters to the fanbase though.

Keep his nut down and do the business for 90min on the pitch. The letter just makes him look like a puppet for the two-Bob owners.

antonyirons

Post by antonyirons » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:56 pm

happydaystoytown wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:37 pm
I just wish he would stop acting as 'Mr West Ham' and start playing as 'Mr West Ham'.

But I think that's beyond him now and all he's left with, is the acting.
Ooops; bit premature, this post. I mean, that Mark Noble, what's he ever done for West Ham? As the commentator said, not only does he talk the talk, he walks the walk. When the going gets tough.....Mr West Ham indeed.
COYI!!!!

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Post by Up the Junction » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:05 pm

antonyirons wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:56 pm
Ooops; bit premature, this post.
The thing is, when you try and mug someone off based on one game you end up looking like a mug yourself when, in the next game (or the one after that) the player concerned has a shocker.

antonyirons

Post by antonyirons » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:15 pm

Up the Junction wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:05 pm
The thing is, when you try and mug someone off based on one game you end up looking like a mug yourself when, in the next game (or the one after that) the player concerned has a shocker.
I'm not trying to mug anyone off, just slightly tongue-in-cheek pointing out that those who have long written Mark Noble off do so at their peril. Of course he may have an absolute stinker against Gillingham or Sheffield United but today he showed all his critics why he deserves all the respect that they seem determined not to give him whilst being very quick to get on his case. I hope at least they had the good grace to cheer his two goals and Man-Of-The-Match performance.

ballantine

Post by ballantine » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:25 pm

I read it as "I promise I'll get back to running about a bit again now. And so will some of the other lads. Cheers!"

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Post by Up the Junction » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:33 pm

antonyirons wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:15 pm
...whilst being very quick to get on his case.
And it took you an hour or so after the final whistle to get on a fellow member's case. This is not up for debate...

Kialos

Post by Kialos » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:43 pm

Kialos wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:14 pm
It's what the manager and players do out on the pitch that counts.

They have done their talking, let's see the walking (not literally!)
The manager and all the team walked the walk today. All credit to them.

RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:45 pm

westham,eggyandchips wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:56 pm
He doesn't need to write letters to the fanbase though.

Keep his nut down and do the business for 90min on the pitch. The letter just makes him look like a puppet for the two-Bob owners.
Well someone thought he should. I'm also not too sure he is that bothered about whether people on social media consider him to be a puppet. That criticism could be levelled at Sir Trev, Bonzo and a whole host of ex players.

the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Post by the pink palermo » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:48 pm

Nobles name gets put on all sorts of correspondence to supporters, I'm surprised people can get worked up about it.

It's all marketing b*llocks.

Hammer Laffers

Post by Hammer Laffers » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:52 pm

It’s quite interesting. On the one hand he does seem like a puppet, yet when I compare it to a similar message I once wrote to quite a few people at work i can make comparisons.

When you are in charge of a team, like Mark Noble, you feel a responsibility to do everything for that team, defend it, be honest about it and try and get everyone together going towards a common goal.

Does Noble dislike the owners? Who knows, I’m sure in private he acknowledges that mistakes have been made by the owners. But when you are captain of a team you have three choices

A) come out, defend your team, attempt to unite everyone towards a common goal - knowing that some will label you a puppet

B) come out, slate the team, slate the board, slate the management - next thing everyone is going ‘Mark Noble is supporting our protest against the owners’, then when either the team gets relegated or the protests get portrayed negatively in the press, “its Nobles fault”

C) Say nothing - then you get the ‘where’s our captain?!’ part of the support coming out.

Basically, the captaincy of West Ham United Football Club is no different to the managers position at the moment - a poisoned chalice.
Last edited by Hammer Laffers on Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

antonyirons

Post by antonyirons » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:52 pm

Up the Junction wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:33 pm
And it took you an hour or so after the final whistle to get on a fellow member's case. This is not up for debate...
Oh come on, lighten up won't you?

Pob!

Post by Pob! » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:53 pm

antonyirons wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:15 pm
I'm not trying to mug anyone off, just slightly tongue-in-cheek pointing out that those who have long written Mark Noble off do so at their peril. Of course he may have an absolute stinker against Gillingham or Sheffield United but today he showed all his critics why he deserves all the respect that they seem determined not to give him whilst being very quick to get on his case. I hope at least they had the good grace to cheer his two goals and Man-Of-The-Match performance.
Honestly fella, you come across a bit of a tool...

The first goal was a very fortunate deflection and the second a penalty from a dubious dive..

Let's not pretend he was Pirlo in his prime.. Most of us gave Oggy the MOTM accolade.

antonyirons

Post by antonyirons » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:05 pm

Pob! wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:53 pm

Thanks for your kind words. You remind me of the unhappy old geezer who used to stand behind me on The North Bank relentlessly slagging off Trevor Brooking.

stu1

Post by stu1 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:12 am

Pob! wrote:
the second a penalty from a dubious dive..
It wasn’t a dive it was just clever play. Noble draws exactly the same foul regularly all over the pitch, often to get him out of trouble when being chased down due to his lack of pace.

If an opposing player clumsily runs behind you clipping your heels once, twice, possibly three times, then you have every right to go down and I say that as someone who despises diving.

The Old Man of Storr

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:45 am

I think our dislike of the owners is clouding just about everything now , from whether it was Pellegrini's fault , the Players' fault or the Board's fault we find ourselves down in the bottom half of the table , to David Moyes being our new Manager to a letter from ' Mark Noble ' -

Good win today , thought it was a great response from the whole team especially The Captain .....and The Supporters .

We were as one .

As it should be .

e-20

Post by e-20 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:46 am

antonyirons wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:52 pm
Oh come on, lighten up won't you?
Now this could get interesting.

Depressed Hammer

Post by Depressed Hammer » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:02 am

Pob! wrote:

The first goal was a very fortunate deflection and the second a penalty from a dubious dive..

Let's not pretend he was Pirlo in his prime.. Most of us gave Oggy the MOTM accolade.
Having seen all games today , i would say Noble played himself into the top 4 midfielders . Showed guts, spirit and inspired others to do the same.
Well done Mark Noble!!!! Hats off today Sir!!!

Blow Bubbles

Post by Blow Bubbles » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:05 am

Hammer Laffers wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:52 pm
It’s quite interesting. On the one hand he does seem like a puppet, yet when I compare it to a similar message I once wrote to quite a few people at work i can make comparisons.

When you are in charge of a team, like Mark Noble, you feel a responsibility to do everything for that team, defend it, be honest about it and try and get everyone together going towards a common goal.

Does Noble dislike the owners? Who knows, I’m sure in private he acknowledges that mistakes have been made by the owners. But when you are captain of a team you have three choices

A) come out, defend your team, attempt to unite everyone towards a common goal - knowing that some will label you a puppet

B) come out, slate the team, slate the board, slate the management - next thing everyone is going ‘Mark Noble is supporting our protest against the owners’, then when either the team gets relegated or the protests get portrayed negatively in the press, “its Nobles fault”

C) Say nothing - then you get the ‘where’s our captain?!’ part of the support coming out.

Basically, the captaincy of West Ham United Football Club is no different to the managers position at the moment - a poisoned chalice.
This. In any workplace, successful managers, mid level (captain) to director (chairman) only ‘gripe upwards’. There’s a really relevant clip demonstrating this from Saving Private Ryan, if I knew how to find and post it.

Noble cannot moan the players and the fans about those above him - only give his honest opinion about it privately to those above.

Edit: link if anyone is actually interested in my above
Last edited by Blow Bubbles on Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:08 am

As i said before the game, a completely un-necessary letter. All that is needed is performance on the pitch.

Open letters are a waste of time aimed at people who don’t want to listen.