FAC3: Gillingham 0-2 West Ham Utd (05/01/20)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Re: Gillingham v West Ham United: FAC3 Match Thread

Post by jastons »

Aceface wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:48 am Just another reason to like Zabaleta – the retro goal celebration. No-one else celebrates with two arms in the air anymore, it's too uncool.
I think Zabaleta gets a lot of unfair stick on here. He's not in his mid 20s anymore so he won't be as fast as 10 years ago but he's still a quality player.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:34 am I think it was pretty clear to me that he was looking hard for that penalty. The contact was nowhere near enough to make him go to ground like that. I think we'd have been pretty peeved to see a penalty like that given against us.

Edit: Just to explain in a bit more detail... the defender definitely grabbed hold of Zabs shirt. I think Zab had decided to go down because of this. Unfortunately the defender let go just before Zab went down which, imo, made it look a touch unnatural.
The Gillingham defender had his arm/hand on Zabaleta's shoulder - similar to the penalty awarded to Mark Noble vs Bournemouth , similar to every Liverpool and Manchester City penalty awarded ever . Zab did go down a bit easy when you compare things to football played during the 60s , 70s and 80s .
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

fjthegrey wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:41 am What if he's been 'coached' to do exactly what he was doing?
Valid point.

For a striker his size he should be winning aerial duels though. We took Arnautovic’s physicality and work rate for granted I think.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

steps wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:55 am
For a striker his size he should be winning aerial duels though. We took Arnautovic’s physicality and work rate for granted I think.
I haven't seen anything wrong with Haller's physicality, or work rate in the last two games.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

There's winning aerial duels, and then there's aimlessly ****ing the ball on for non-existent runners so their keeper can launch the ball back at us 5 seconds later. Something Carroll seemed to do endlessly to little production.

Sometimes you've much more to gain from just putting off the defender who is winning the header and look to react to the misplaced 2nd ball and counter from there. In fact, I'd say more often than not that should be your approach considering how unlikely a flick on to a runner actually comes off.

I thought Haller played smart yesterday. Picked his battles, kept defenders occupied. Long aerial balls are clearly Gillingham's bread and butter. Absolutely no point trying to fight them at their own game.
Belchio

Post by Belchio »

This was a prime example why VAR should be removed 100% from the FA CUP with not all teams having access to it a distinct advantage or disadvantage is formed.

Several challenges last night could have resulted in VAR action. Yet the lack of it resulted in referring errors. Had VAR been present then Westham would of profited. Without VAR Gingham profited.

Other matches in this round have had VAR employed, which has changed the game and often the results.

It should be 100% removed for all ties so thats its a level playing field for all teams whom compete.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:54 am The Gillingham defender had his arm/hand on Zabaleta's shoulder - similar to the penalty awarded to Mark Noble vs Bournemouth , similar to every Liverpool and Manchester City penalty awarded ever . Zab did go down a bit easy when you compare things to football played during the 60s , 70s and 80s .
Oh I know it's a common part of the game now... I just think it would have looked a bit more natural had he gone down half a second earlier. Must be slowing down in his older age :)

To be fair, I wasn't entirely comfortable with Nobles penalty against Bournemouth either.
The Old Man of Storr

Anyway , what was good to see was -

Moyes picking a very strong side which showed our intent - players getting stuck in and coping well with lower league tactics - Zabaleta's first goal for West Ham and celebration - Pablo Fornals' second goal for West Ham [ not counting friendlies ] , it was in essence Gillingham 0 Pablos 2 - :) - Steve Evans' face when Fornals scored [ harsh maybe but better than the alternative ] - we avoided going out of the FA Cup to a lower league side -
We won .
Ding
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 509 likes

Post by Ding »

Coops wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:44 am I wonder if the thinking was to try out a new formation against lesser opposition. Iron out the flaws in the cup and then we have it in our armoury to take into a Premier league game.
He said something about needing to have the flexibility to change into 3 at the back in his post match interview. I assume he means exactly this.
The Old Man of Storr

Burnley Hammer wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:03 am

To be fair, I wasn't entirely comfortable with Nobles penalty against Bournemouth either.
Don't get me wrong , I know what you're going on about and I agree that Noble and Zabaleta went down too easy but all they're doing is what everyone else is doing so either West Ham miss out on points or goals by adopting some higher moral cause or they join in with the Big Boys .
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

fjthegrey wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:01 am Sometimes you've much more to gain from just putting off the defender who is winningr and look to react to the misplaced 2nd ball and counter from there. In fact,g aerial balls are clearly Gillingham's bread and butter. Absolutely no point trying to fight them at their own game.
This did cross my mind. Lots of flailing elbows were being dished out by Gillingham and I did wonder if he just thought **** it, it’s not worth it. Rice took one to the forehead, and we lost Fredricks to a possible hamstring. Those sort of games often leave casualties.

To the paying public it can seem quite annoying at the time though.

You’re right about Carroll. Wouldnt of thought twice about about steaming in, you love to see it but offer can result in little or no effect.
JLCABA
Has liked: 202 likes
Total likes: 160 likes

Post by JLCABA »

Ogbonna was superb last night

Has he ever been so good so consistently ?

I am hoping Bramall Lane isn't where the form dips
Longaz
Has liked: 1385 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Longaz »

steps wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:55 am
:? But Haller's won more ariel duels than any player in the whole league. 127! 14 more than the next player.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Cracking evening that. Really enjoy going to places like Gillingham, yes the away end is pony but the ground being in the middle of a housing estate, surrounded by terraced streets but also near the town centre and station is something we don't get to experience that much anymore.

Onto the game itself, I thought the first half was absolutely dire, the less said about that the better. Second half the players clearly had a rocket up their ***** at half time by Moyes, totally different side. Anderson again superb, Fornals decent when he came on. I also thought Haller had a decent game up to the point of finishing. Pleased for Zaba, he played well when he came on and was a threat, not sure he can do it against premier league sides though.

For negatives, I thought all 3 CM's were poor, Masuaku's first touch is shambolic and Balbuena looked a bit lost at times.
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

Stepney wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:08 am Does it really kick off at 18:16pm? I thought they made a mistake on the BBC website?

Anyhow this has the usual West Ham banana skin feel to it but I can see us winning 0-2 in a turgid game of football.
Got the score right although tbf it wasn't necessarily a 'turgid' game of football. We had to work incredibly hard for that win but I was proud that we got over the line in the end. I hope this new mentality of the players sticks.

Well done West Ham.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Nice to see Declan Rice getting credit from Gills fans for applauding the opposition supporters following yesterday's win at The Priestfield.

More in this week's OV: https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=134196

Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

Very balance OV, I agree with most of what they said.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

"I'd like to give a special thanks to the ref. I thought he was excellent. So much better than the ones we regularly get for our matches."
- vinney
:lol:
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Coops wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:11 pm Very balance OV, I agree with most of what they said.
Same. I thought their fans were hospitable as well, at least in the pubs that I went to.

I like the scaffold away end, it makes it feel like the OS. Our support was pretty quiet though. It was like everyone was having a chat and a catchup with mates.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Goal line scramble for our first is something of a stretch.

One full back, after we'd worked it forward, crossed it for another who shot firmly on target and it went in. Keeper should have done better but it's certainly not a lucky bobble. It's a well worked goal.