FAC3: Gillingham 0-2 West Ham Utd (05/01/20)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

FAC3: Gillingham 0-2 West Ham Utd (05/01/20)

Post by -DL- »

Sunday 5th Jan 2020, KO: 18:16

We absolutely have to win this game, because I will never, ever, hear the end of it from my work-mates.

Strongest team possible please!
Lil Joe 17
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Re: Gillingham v West Ham United: FAC3 Match Thread

Post by Lil Joe 17 »

Can you bring your son to this game DL please
Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Tristan Shout »

If it's true that moysie is getting a £2m bonus for keeping us up then that would have a big impact on his priorities,
Myself, I would play the strongest squad as success builds confidence, but I'm not getting £2m
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Lil Joe 17 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:58 pm Can you bring your son to this game DL please
I'd love to, but this late in the day, the chances of getting him a ticket are slim to none.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Lived that way for 5 years (in Rochester, Tunbridge Wells & Tonbridge to be exact), good people and a nice place

I could see this being an awful game of football
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

I am happy for Moyes to "rest" a couple of players as long as the core of the team is made up of first teamers. What I don't want to see is a white flag with a second string team that sacrifices the FA Cup.
The good work from tonight will be lost if we surrender meekly on Sunday.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I agree strongest team possible, coz this team is very good on their own ground. The last team to beat them was Rotherham, who won 3-0 at their gaffe in November, but they've had some very good results since then and as I have already said, they have a right in yer face type manager in Steve Evans who gets the best out of his teams
denzel

Post by denzel »

I imagine we will have to rest one or two but I’d like to see a really strong team for this one. Let’s have a go at the cup this year please. :crest:
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

Unfortunately I can see us putting out a weakened side because of our current league position and the heavy Christmas schedule. If we do Moyes will have missed a trick, a win here would certainly help build a small feel good factor, whereas a poor display and a loss will have the place toxic again.

I'd go:

------------------Fabianski
Fredericks---Diop---Balbuena---Masuaku
--------------Noble---Rice
Antonio------------------------Lanzini
---------------Anderson
-----------------Haller

Subs: Martin, Ogbonna, Zabaleta, Creswell, Holland, Snodgrass, Ajeti

Hopefully Yarmolemko is back and can make the bench (what's happened to him?), if things go well I'd also give Ajeti some minutes.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Anyway - bit of a heads up for those coming to the game. One of the easiest ways to get here is by train - high-speed from St Pancras/Stratford to Gillingham direct.

All around the ground and Gillingham town centre are controlled parking zones, and no doubt for this Medway Council's enforcement teams will be about to boost their coffers.

There is a long stay car park at Balmoral Gardens, but that gets full pretty quickly, so get there early. There is also one that's not council run on Trafalgar Road, but that's only £2 to park for up to 12 hours, and that obviously also fills up quick. I'm not going to mention the ones by the station, as getting a space in them at the best of times is a ball ache. Failing that, Chatham Town Centre has ample parking, and you can get busses 101, 176, 177, and 182 from there (101 and 182 are the more direct ones to Gillingham, the others go around the houses) - but that time of night on a Sunday, they will be infrequent. If you don't mind a 20 minute walk, then there's also Dockside Outlet Centre - but do not use the surface car parks as they are ANPR controlled and you only get 2 hours. Also slightly further out, but still within walking distance is The Strand pay and display. Medway Maritime Hospital Car Parks are also within a 15 - 20 minute walk from the ground.
Blow Bubbles

Post by Blow Bubbles »

No problem with a number of changes... Gillingham are mid table League 1 after all.

But still got to be a (mostly) senior team. Hopefully with a few who want to show why they should be in starting 11 for the league rather than the bench.
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 298 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

I'd be happy with a fairly serious rotation, even in a comfortable win a few key players looked tired. Also a good spot to get in minutes for players returning from injury and let some players try to impress the new manager.

Like to see Ajeti, Diop, Reid (if available) Johnson and Holland either in the lineup or on the bench.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Blow Bubbles wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:22 pm No problem with a number of changes... Gillingham are mid table League 1 after all.

But still got to be a (mostly) senior team. Hopefully with a few who want to show why they should be in starting 11 for the league rather than the bench.
They are strong on their own ground and are not to be under-estimated. Their manager will see us as a very achievable scalp and will have them fired up and will make sure they will come at us at 100 mph from the off. Any slacking off on our behalf will be seen as a potential weakness to be exploited
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

As long as it's not raining or snowing I don't care,
Northbank Bar
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by Northbank Bar »

Our fringe players are not good enough.Play Ajeti,sanchez,Martin.-Is asking for trouble.Strongest possible team please.Get the job done then get Rice and Haller off.Only player I would rest would be Antonio who it seems has injury issues.
Northbank Bar
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by Northbank Bar »

Anyone know if theres any pubs near the ground which will be showing the match ,bearing in mind I will be cheering for West Ham.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Northbank Bar wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:41 pm Anyone know if theres any pubs near the ground which will be showing the match ,bearing in mind I will be cheering for West Ham.
It's on the box mate, and all the pubs around the town centre and within walking distance generally have the football on.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

8 first teamers, one or two youth players, one or two squad players

Fabianski
Johnson Diop Ogbonna Masuaku
Noble Rice
Holland Anderson Fornals
Haller

More than enough to see off any league one side.

3-0, into the hat for round 4.
kenthammer
Has liked: 245 likes
Total likes: 395 likes

Post by kenthammer »

Fleur de lis in gillingham road designated away fans pub
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

kenthammer wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:50 pm Fleur de lis in gillingham road designated away fans pub
Directly opposite my work place!