FAC3: Gillingham 0-2 West Ham Utd (05/01/20)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Re: Gillingham v West Ham United: FAC3 Match Thread

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Yet another in the main decent oppo view, fair play to Rice as well :thup:

Steve is going to be disappointed, wanting us & Brighton both to be relegated, Brighton are doing alright..

I know I am in the minority but I thought the ref was ok, can understand the Gills mentioning the ref, my Ipswich supporting mates reckon the standard of referring in league 1 has to be seen to be believed it's so bad.
miles
This site...
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 421 likes

Post by miles »

JLCABA wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:27 am Ogbonna was superb last night

Has he ever been so good so consistently ?
Gollum's first spell when he plonked him in the middle of the back three. Imperious.
ornchurch ammer
Has liked: 131 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by ornchurch ammer »

steps wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:55 am Valid point.

For a striker his size he should be winning aerial duels though. We took Arnautovic’s physicality and work rate for granted I think.
I think Arnautovic's work rate is a bit of a myth. If he fancied it then yes, if not he was the laziest player on the pitch.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Knighter10WHU wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:55 am ...Masuaku's first touch is shambolic ....
It's either shambolic, or a thing of beauty. There's no in-between with Masuaku!
JLCABA
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 157 likes

Post by JLCABA »

miles wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:26 pm Gollum's first spell when he plonked him in the middle of the back three. Imperious.

Good point well made :thup:
Graza

Post by Graza »

ornchurch ammer wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:28 pm I think Arnautovic's work rate is a bit of a myth. If he fancied it then yes, if not he was the laziest player on the pitch.
Fit and interested he was a menace to all defences. Moyes got him up for it and firing, China knocked him off it and he became the player he was at Stoke, until the last 5 games when he had to justify the wages he wanted at his next job. He's not the first, he won't be the last, DiCanio was dogshit when uninterested, Payet couldn't be bothered his last half a season and so many more.
Burnley Hammer wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:32 pm It's either shambolic, or a thing of beauty. There's no in-between with Masuaku!
When he's hot he's hot. Remember the home game against Chelsea when he just did whatever the hell he wanted and it all came off. Compared to Marko he always puts it in but doesn't always get it out.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

said Warps mum...
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9646 likes

Post by S-H »

:D
Albie Beck
Has liked: 627 likes
Total likes: 654 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Mega Ron wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:18 pm Our support was pretty quiet though. It was like everyone was having a chat and a catchup with mates.
It was quiet, and chanting and singing was very sporadic but we shouldn't be too surprised. The CBA attitude which had begun to overtake many of us is starting to permeate.
mushy
Has liked: 651 likes
Total likes: 874 likes

Post by mushy »

upton girlie wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:45 am We wondered about the minutes silence for Mental Health too.
The stadium announcer told us around 6pm that there would be a total of two minutes ‘applause/silence’ - one for Gary and one for mental health. We saw the mental Health banner briefly but it got rushed away at 6.14pm. The Gary Rhodes minutes applause then commenced at 6.15pm.
I was on the understanding that the reason for the 6.16pm start was for the promotion/awareness of Mental Health across all clubs and the TV, and to use the minutes silence to reflect apon ourselves.
No disrespect meant towards the Gillingham FC supporting chef btw.
I wonder if Gillingham FC will get pulled up for it?
I have a feeling the stadium announcer got it wrong when he said there would be one minutes clapping for 'nice guy' Gary Rhodes and another minutes applause for the mental awareness thing.
I think the mental awareness thing was all about the one minute delayed kick off and showing the banner, but no one minute applause.
Does anyone know if any other clubs had a one minute applause for this?
mushy
Has liked: 651 likes
Total likes: 874 likes

Post by mushy »

Belchio wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:01 am This was a prime example why VAR should be removed 100% from the FA CUP with not all teams having access to it a distinct advantage or disadvantage is formed.

Several challenges last night could have resulted in VAR action. Yet the lack of it resulted in referring errors. Had VAR been present then Westham would of profited. Without VAR Gingham profited.

Other matches in this round have had VAR employed, which has changed the game and often the results.

It should be 100% removed for all ties so thats its a level playing field for all teams whom compete.
The point being that with or without Var it's the same for both teams.
Can you imagine the furore if the ref missed a simple offside and Var wasn't being used -even though the equipment was there and usable?
There would be hell to pay.
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:32 pm It's either shambolic, or a thing of beauty. There's no in-between with Masuaku!
Thats what you pay for. The higher the price the greater the consistency of quality. Most if not all players in the top 2 divisions have unbelievable talent and ability to cut it. Only the very best can do it week in week out and play in a championship winning side. Anderson is also highly talented but lacks the mentality to cut it in a top 2 1st eleven. That is possibly why the middle of the premier and possibly the championship are so closely contested, as each club us stocked full of high level but inconsistent players.