Sheffield Utd 1-0 West Ham Utd (10/01/20)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

SoulCircus
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 87 likes

Re: Sheffield United v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by SoulCircus »

stu1 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:26 pm He was pretty fair in his comments to be honest.
So I saw, fair play to him for consistency.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

THAT GOAL SHOULD HAVE STOOD! The law STATES:

"--handball will not be awarded if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from their own head/body/foot or the head/body/foot of another player who is close/nearby."

Why are people saying it was a proper application of the law? It clearly is not following it, as stated.
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by old fart »

Well that was a famine of football on many levels
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

didn't know that part of the law

this new handball law is pony, not denying it. worse than VAR IMHO

but lots of goals have been disallowed in a similar fashion

was a rubbish performance though
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

chappo59 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:29 pm

Oh and the 4/1 on relegation pre match looks like the bet of the year so far.

We look dogshite
I got 12/1 pre season.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

So annoying, I honestly thought it was a good dull nulfying away performance against a top 8 team apart from that stupid mistake that cost us. Haller has to better with that header for a 45 mil striker, shame Andersen didn't do better with his chance and Lanzini should've smashed it low forcing the keep to dive and hopefully parry
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

In Bournemouth win tomorrow we’ll drop in to the bottom three.

We then have Leicester, Man City and Liverpool twice in our next 6 games. :shock:

Moyes has a job on his hands making sure we aren’t adrift in the bottom three by the end of those 6 games.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

didn't know that part of the law regarding ricochets

this new handball law is pony, not denying it. worse than VAR IMHO

but lots of goals have been disallowed in a similar fashion

was a rubbish performance though
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

Moyes says we were worthy of a point maybe more...If MP had said that after that performance he would have got slaughtered on here.
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by old fart »

Ironing Board wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:31 pm THAT GOAL SHOULD HAVE STOOD! The law STATES:

"--handball will not be awarded if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from their own head/body/foot or the head/body/foot of another player who is close/nearby."

Why are people saying it was a proper application of the law? It clearly is not following it, as stated.
Because that's not what law says, look it up
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

chappo59 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:29 pm

Oh and the 4/1 on relegation pre match looks like the bet of the year so far.

We look dogshite
I got 12/1 pre season.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Hammer.CA wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:30 pm What are you his f**king agent? The reason anyone with an ounce of sense doesn't want Allen in is because we don't need another midfielder wit sod all pace, the same as Fellaini. We've been going down the same road for years, it hasn't worked ffs.
For one thing, Noble is 32. We need someone with similar qualities who can play when he is not fit. For another, why do you think he would be our only signing. We can sign Joe Allen AND other players.

We need a keeper and at least two midfielders in this window.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Ironing Board wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:31 pm THAT GOAL SHOULD HAVE STOOD! The law STATES:

Can we sue for 25 million?
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

Jeez !!!
How much did we have to endure to lose by just one goal. We’d done the hard bit and snuffed out home advantage after about 20 minutes. Following that we looked comfortable and on the up in the remaining 25 mins of the 1st half. Start the 2nd half off and no real advantage either way. Then the error and goal. Due to that we had to then re-assert ourselves against a bouyed crowd and a team handed a goal. But we came back into it with 4 chances on goal to finish the stronger side. 2 disallowed goals, 2 terrible finishes from Lanzini and Haller should have had us level much earlier.
BubbleBoy

Post by BubbleBoy »

It was a poor game of football, well contested.....but a really poor game from a quality perspective.

I was getting very frustrated with the commentary more than anything else, as they kept digging out Anderson and Haller, whom for me produced the only glimmers of actual Premier League Standard football this evening.
Anderson for me was the best player on the pitch by a distance.
He looked interested and confident again tonight, should have had a shot a few times rather than pass, but I feel we need to keep him up beside Haller as much we can.

Neither side deserved to win.
The handball rule on VAR is horrible.
We will stay up this year.

The fact the Sheff U are 5th at the minute shows you how poor the league is.
I admire the way SU fight for the game, to the point they seem a moment away from a red card, but they are a team who will be found out if they don't invest in some creativity next season.

Note to Moyes - believe in your squad more - we don't need to be safety first...and Fornals is your best midfielder
Back Stronger :crest:
neathiron
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by neathiron »

Georgee Paris wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:13 pm 1 shot on target. Hoof ball. Absolutely boring. No fabianski. What a time to be a hammer. Still we looked good against Bournemouth and Gillingham and ran around a bit quicker and looked more determined and definitely a little bit fitter. :scarfer:
On the bright side, if Pellegrini was still in charge we would have lost that 4-0 tonight!
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

HammerPDC wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:23 pm I’m sorry this kind of attitude is what I take issue with

Gary Neville has just said as much on Sky and he’s right we went there tonight looking for 1 point set a team out for 1 point and would have been elated with 1 point

Now if your going to City, Liverpool then fair enough they imo are the only two occasions in a season you’d be forgiven for having that attitude, we were at Sheffield United

I know they are going well and that leads me into my second point they’re going well because they get stuck in their physical and put it all on the line for the result. I didn’t see one pair of b*llocks in a West Ham shirt tonight and that’s been a theme since I’d say Big Sam left

We aren’t where we are in the division because of our team on paper. It’s actually got good quality in it. We are there because of our physical commitment, effort and attitude, point blank

My third and final point is David Moyes. He is the manager now he sets the tone he sets the culture he sets the attitude and he wants to go there tonight and play all the defenders he can find and try and play out a 0 - 0 well for that we got what we deserved. You play 3 forward players you have 5 or so shots and you don’t win games. The game has passed David Moyes by its been 7 or so years since he was last playing attractive football in this league and despite the Bournemouth game that’s the real Moyes tonight and imo he’s gonna take us down to the wire and if we go down we deserve it
David Moyes is at fault because Anderson and Haller couldn't finish and Lanzini couldn't pass when they tried to gift us an equaliser? What are you on about
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

Just got back to my daughter's. We were the better side first half, they were better in the second. No way did they 'deserve' a win but football is b*llocks and it ain't the first or last time I'll feel this pissed off
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

Jeez !!!
How much did we have to endure to lose by just one goal. We’d done the hard bit and snuffed out home advantage after about 20 minutes. Following that we looked comfortable and on the up in the remaining 25 mins of the 1st half. Start the 2nd half off and no real advantage either way. Then the error and goal. Due to that we had to then re-assert ourselves against a bouyed crowd and a team handed a goal. But we came back into it with 4 chances on goal to finish the stronger side. 2 disallowed goals, 2 terrible finishes from Lanzini and Haller should have had us level much earlier.
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

Poor performance tonight and too many more like that in the games where we have to be looking at picking up points and we’ll go down.

We look like a bottom 5 team, all depends if we have the bottle to avoid finishing in the bottom 3.

Saying that, they were crap as well but we cut our own throat with that cock up between Martin and Balbuena.