Sheffield Utd 1-0 West Ham Utd (10/01/20)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 501 likes

Re: Sheffield United v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by IronZ-79 »

Thought Haller had a good game tonight. Held the ball up, chased things down and didn't have much service. Some of the balls into the box were terrible. What can anyone do with that type of service?
Irrons
Has liked: 1290 likes
Total likes: 262 likes

Post by Irrons »

smuts wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:49 pm That's proper misleading. By the time Lanzini has the ball the CB is back and Haller is completely in the wrong area.
He didn't need to take a touch at all, it was on a plate to pass it first time straight to Haller which would have given the latter time to pick his spot. A more confident Lanzini of the recent past would have done that
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

steveyrockstar wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:24 pm We've put in the same sort of performance against the same kind of shitty, grinding, hardworking side as Sheffield Utd under every single West Ham manager I've ever watched, under every single West Ham team I've ever watched, going back to the late 80s.

My issue is that people can't wait for the first opportunity to jump down Moyes' throat, when he's come into a very challenging scenario, and accuse him of being awful when every single ****ing manager or team we've ever had has been no different.
That's a very fair point. :thup:
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 501 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

The goal we conceded was similar to the one at Burnley. Martin should have been playing the pass towards the right and not down the middle forcing Balbuena away from danger.

Complete clanger and shyte way to concede.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Billydinho »

As I say, some of you deserve this.
Irrons
Has liked: 1290 likes
Total likes: 262 likes

Post by Irrons »

IronZ-79 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:52 pm Thought Haller had a good game tonight. Held the ball up, chased things down and didn't have much service. Some of the balls into the box were terrible. What can anyone do with that type of service?
There was a real reluctance from some of our wide players to get the ball in the box, Cresswell, Masuaku and Zabaleta were all guilty of it. Pissed me off no end
fandabidicksy
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by fandabidicksy »

gegsy wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:01 pm this is like when I took those mushrooms.
:D :D :D
MrHammer73
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by MrHammer73 »

I think the problem here is that Moyes thinks can do what he did last time to keep us safe. He has gone to the back 3, with that weird position that has Cresswell in the back 3.

But there are a few flaws to that. Lazini is still coming from 2 bad injuries and is not the same player he had previously. This is only Haller's first season in the premiership whereas before he had the experienced motivated Arnie up front. We also had the energy of Mario, Obiang and Kayoute as central midfield options. This is also a stronger premiership compared to last time Moyes was here and the controversies of VAR which we saw tonight.

We have a injury crisis with Fab, Antonio & Fredricks all out. Unless we get 2 central midfielders in with pace and energy along with a pacy right back, we are getting relegated. So it is down to the owners, not Moyes. Will they back him this month to get the players he needs? Unlikely.
Last edited by MrHammer73 on Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 370 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

gouldie wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:39 pm The VAR and handball rule doesn’t hide the fact that we deserved nothing from that game. Woeful football, the only positives I can take from tonight is the fact Moyes put 3 prospects on the bench.
I don't see why you think we deserved nothing from that game?
Why do you think Sheff U, the home team, deserved all the points?
Is it because they persistently fouled our playmaker and avoided bookings until the 85th minute? Or because their keeper made a couple of good saves? Or because we missed two absolute sitters? Or because we "scored" two great-looking goals, albeit one just offside and the other a harsh handball? Or because our keeper and centre-back had a misunderstanding: an unforced error that Sheff U managed to take advantage of with a lucky finish that squirmed under the substitute keeper's body?

We may not have played well throughout the whole 90 mins, but I disagree that we deserved nothing. I certainly don't believe Sheff Utd deserved everything. They arguably managed the game (by fair means and otherwise) better once they got in front, which they certainly hadn't deserved, but we created more and better chances. We ultimately lost because of the ridiculous unforced error, but I don't think that means they deserved to win.
Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We, the small people, protest) Untill DIGNITY will became usual"

Post by Universidad-de-Chile »

keithwright1977 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:36 pm Don’t you just hate posts from people who don’t understand football at all, people that have probably never played the game so don’t appreciate the difference between losing 4-0 to losing 1-0, you don’t even have to have a degree in maths to work that one out
... :P

+ 1

love hate
hate love
love hate
hate love
hate hate
love love
lovate
atelove
veha

have
te
loveha
Last edited by Universidad-de-Chile on Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 521 likes
Total likes: 226 likes

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch »

MrHammer73 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:16 am I think the problem here is that Moyes thinks can do what he did last time to keep us safe. He has gone to the back 3, with that weird position that has Cresswell in the back 3.

But there are a few flaws to that. Lazini is still coming from 2 bad injuries and is not the same player he had previously. This is only Haller's first season in the premiership whereas before he had the experienced motivated Arnie up front. We also had the energy of Mario, Obiang and Kayoute as central midfield options. This is also a stronger premiership compared to last time Moyes was here and the controversies of VAR which we saw tonight.

We have a injury crisis with Fab, Antonio & Fredricks all out. Unless we get 2 central midfielders in with pace and energy along with a pacy right back, we are getting relegated. So it is down to the owners, not Moyes. Will they back him this month to get the players he needs? Unlikely.
This 100%
Squad depth last time round was much stronger especially in CM.
Samba

Post by Samba »

MrHammer73 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:16 am I think the problem here is that Moyes thinks can do what he did last time to keep us safe. He has gone to the back 3, with that weird position that has Cresswell in the back 3.

:thup: Excellent post, mate.
This season is ALL down to what the owners do now.
"Well, do you feel lucky, c*nts?"
Cause if you don't, dem chickens might just be coming home to roost.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

Having looked at it three or four times, I reckon their goal was as much down to Balbuena changing his mind as it was to David Martin.

We also missed a few sitters: Lanzini not given the ball to a totally unmarked Haller being the biggest and, I'm afraid that Noble just wasn't at the races. He was caught in possession a few times and played the whole game as if he was wearing concrete boots.

I think a draw would have been a fair result and the powers that be really do need to change this ridiculous accidental handball rule.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

MrHammer73 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:16 am So it is down to the owners, not Moyes. Will they back him this month to get the players he needs? Unlikely.
Nicely put :thup:
b0x

Post by b0x »

keithwright1977 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:43 pm You need to get a grip, the geezers been in two minutes, he’s not a fxxxing magician
we'll smash them at home

snodgrass was an inspired sub which could of won us that game

haller managed to only find his finishing boots when he was a tiny fraction offside, he had a couple more excellent chances to put us up as did anderson

at bournemouth we finished just about everything, today we couldn't unfortunately

tough result to take especially with that dodgy VAR decision - the guys in the box should really understand the rules by now, i dont think we've heard the end of that decision

thats probably the best lost we've had all season... with pellegrini we would of surrendered when we conceded.. hell we would of surrended when we went up 1 nil

was not a fan of moyes appointment but he gave us every chance to win that today, those slagging him need a new set of glasses
Samba

Post by Samba »

Clucking Bell wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:38 am Having looked at it three or four times, I reckon their goal was as much down to Balbuena changing his mind as it was to David Martin.

We also missed a few sitters: Lanzini not given the ball to a totally unmarked Haller being the biggest and, I'm afraid that Noble just wasn't at the races. He was caught in possession a few times and played the whole game as if he was wearing concrete boots.

I think a draw would have been a fair result and the powers that be really do need to change this ridiculous accidental handball rule.
:thup: Radio said that Balbuena & Martin were equally to blame.
I can take losing to them away, but less so when it's a f*cking gift of a goal, rather than their good play.
In that sense, we really should have come home with a point.
Samba

Post by Samba »

b0x wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:42 am we'll smash them at home
We've got to stay in the Premier League first..
wormley
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by wormley »

Missed the game but reading all 10 posts over the past 30 pages more than made up for it.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 689 likes
Total likes: 2031 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

IronZ-79 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:52 pm Thought Haller had a good game tonight. Held the ball up, chased things down and didn't have much service. Some of the balls into the box were terrible. What can anyone do with that type of service?
Some of the balls into the box were terrible, but not all of them. He doesn’t seem to want to have a battle with defenders. Anderson put a nice ball for him to chase and he gave up instead of put the defender under any sort of pressure. A similar ball to Mousset and he chased, battled and got into our penalty area.

Not all of Haller was bad tonight, but he has to start working harder and battling. Moyes probably thinks he can get from Haller what he got from Arnautovic and that won’t happen.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Billydinho »

As I say, some of you deserve this.