Sheffield Utd 1-0 West Ham Utd (10/01/20)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Re: Sheffield United v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Samba »

The ONLY way that we're going to escape this season, unless Sully's about to get his wallet out for Messi & Neymar, is that there is going to be 3 teams more abject than us.
Or we buy someone that's owned by a third party.. :wink:
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

If we get a competent GK in and Antonio stays fit for most of the games then i think we can get six home wins from that lot and a win at Norwich
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Not sure what is less likely, us get a competent goalkeeper or Antonio staying fit...
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:54 pm If we get a competent GK in and Antonio stays fit for most of the games then i think we can get six home wins from that lot and a win at Norwich
Not a hope in hell, with our CM and lack of pace and directness,imo.
Recall Diangana, sign a competent and fit GK,Allen and Fernandes at the very least.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:54 pm If we get a competent GK in and Antonio stays fit for most of the games then i think we can get six home wins from that lot and a win at Norwich
Well we are still apparently after Randolph. Not that great and injured himself.
Antonio seems to get a lot of injuries, so I do wonder how many games we will get out of him.
We still need a decent CM.

It's still likely we'll do a patch up job. Cheap squad fillers and hope for the best.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Samba wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:52 pm The ONLY way that we're going to escape this season, unless Sully's about to get his wallet out for Messi & Neymar, is that there is going to be 3 teams more abject than us.
And one of them is no longer Southampton..
bowltorious
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by bowltorious »

Posting now as the site was unbearable yesterday. Can't quite understand the people who were saying we deserved to lose and were ****? Thought it was a boring game overall with both teams happy to just sit in shape. We played the better football as all they seem to do is hit the channels long and cross it at every opportunity. They only really threatened after that shocking goal we gave away and we still had the better chances. A draw would have been a fair result as no team attacked with any real quality or dominated for any sustained period. Decision for the goal is bull**** but unfortunately thats the rule at the moment and obviously weve been done 3x by it already.

Atleast we finally look organised but I really hope Moyes doesnt set up like that at home to Everton.

We really must be the unluckiest team with injuries and bad decisions over the last decade? It.s even carried on with VAR this season, been screwed so many times.
wasserburg_hammer
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by wasserburg_hammer »

bowltorious wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:55 pmWe really must be the unluckiest team with injuries and bad decisions over the last decade? It.s even carried on with VAR this season, been screwed so many times.
SU haven't had the best of VAR either. Pardon me, they had 15 goals credited wrongly. Only reason they are better than us.

Avoided mentioning Tevez :arry:
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

jacko wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:57 am I read someone say the mix up was 100 percent balbuena's fault. I think he shares some of the blame but Martin hit it too hard and in the wrong direction.
For me Balbuena was at fault initially. He called for the ball and then inexplicably hesitated. Martin’s pass wasn’t that bad.

He should’ve saved the resulting chance though. It was right at him and he dived over it.

Not a great performance but we deserved a point. As many predicted VAR has not been our friend.
Carrerageorge

Post by Carrerageorge »

News report on trouble v Sheffield Utd.I can't see how else to respond to this so here goes ..
I was there and my seat was front row in the corner nearest the Sheffield supporters. After the game our coaches were on a side street opposite the away turnstiles and the police had blocked off the road to home fans.I saw no sign of any trouble.
I am sorry to hear of our supporters who were hurt but cant understand why they were heading for the station when the last train to London departed well before the end of the match
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 916 likes
Total likes: 1917 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Carrerageorge wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:51 pm News report on trouble v Sheffield Utd.I can't see how else to respond to this so here goes ..
I was there and my seat was front row in the corner nearest the Sheffield supporters. After the game our coaches were on a side street opposite the away turnstiles and the police had blocked off the road to home fans.I saw no sign of any trouble.
I am sorry to hear of our supporters who were hurt but cant understand why they were heading for the station when the last train to London departed well before the end of the match
Eh? They were heading to cars and hotels. The vast majority didn't go by coach.

I've not seen any news reports - can you put them up?
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Morocco Mole wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:13 am For me Balbuena was at fault initially. He called for the ball and then inexplicably hesitated. Martin’s pass wasn’t that bad.

He should’ve saved the resulting chance though. It was right at him and he dived over it.

Not a great performance but we deserved a point. As many predicted VAR has not been our friend.
Pretty much, in a nutshell Moley.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

It may sound silly as they beat us, but I thought Sheffu were poor. They gave us two gilt-edged chances which we failed to take, and scored through our cock-up. The last-gasp 'equalizer' would have been well deserved. But that's football!
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

Morocco Mole wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:13 am For me Balbuena was at fault initially. He called for the ball and then inexplicably hesitated. Martin’s pass wasn’t that bad.

Agree and disagree with you MM.
Agree that Balbuena and Martin share responsibility for the error - yes, a poor pass from Martin but Balbuena made a conspicuous and costly error pondering things over before he started to move.I'd argue it was Balbuena's actions that created the opportunity.

Thought the shot for the goal was plain awful. Shot it straight at the diving Martin - he could have aimed for any of the four corners but instead shot straight at approaching goalie. Perhaps I'm splitting hairs here, but I don't characterise Martin as diving over the ball - he just couldn't get down quick enough.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Post by sendô »

Gary Neville had it right.

Declan Rice saying that a draw would have been a good result - but that West Ham should be coming to newly promoted teams looking to and expecting to win.

The reality is, VAR or no VAR, mistake by the GK or no mistake, we never really looked like winning that game. It was pretty poor all round.
Lil Joe 17
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Lil Joe 17 »

sendô wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:41 am Gary Neville had it right.

Declan Rice saying that a draw would have been a good result - but that West Ham should be coming to newly promoted teams looking to and expecting to win.

The reality is, VAR or no VAR, mistake by the GK or no mistake, we never really looked like winning that game. It was pretty poor all round.
We had plenty of chances to score, and had the ball in the back of the net twice too.
Bubbles Murray
Location: 200 miles due north of Mecca ( Bingo Hall, Barking Road )
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Bubbles Murray »

Carrerageorge wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:51 pm News report on trouble v Sheffield Utd.I can't see how else to respond to this so here goes ..
As Doc H Ball says, "Eh?"
The vast majority of our fans on Friday were either stopping in hotels or driving back home. Many were stopping in city centre hotels but some were at places like Chesterfield so could go to the station to get a train there. Also some had parked by the station. The ones stopping in Sheffield could also have taken the recommended police route back to the station area and then headed from there up the hill into the city centre.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Lil Joe 17 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:16 am We had plenty of chances to score, and had the ball in the back of the net twice too.
We didn't have a shot on target until 77th minute

That is irrelevant anyway, it is more about the mindset. The managers/ players should not be thinking that a draw is a good result

We set up to protect the point we started with, the manager would have been satisfied with a a draw at kick off

That is the problem
Graza

Post by Graza »

Samba wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:52 pm The ONLY way that we're going to escape this season, unless Sully's about to get his wallet out for Messi & Neymar, is that there is going to be 3 teams more abject than us.
Or we buy someone that's owned by a third party.. :wink:
Well currently we have
20th Norwich - toilet, take Pukki's goals away and they'd be looking to challenge Derby's lowest point total record. Pretty much a banker to get relegated
19th Bournemouth - no confidence, no depth, need to either do business this month or change manager or both to stop the rot. Could get out of it but need to turn it soon.
18th Villa - have a couple of really good players but a majority of championship teams. Wouldn't be surprised if they went down or scrapped another year in the prem.
17th Watford - turned themselves around and momentum at the bottom is all important. Pearson will steer them to safety
16th Us - Moyes bounce has ended, squad is thin, January spending is required but unlikely. If Fabianski is out for a long time we will be in serious trouble.
15th Burnley - middling season for them but recent experiences of the same position will probably see them steer safe

Brighton, Newcastle, Southampton make up the next 3 and the realistic pack of teams who should be looking over their shoulders.

This is a huge month in terms of it being the last chance to re-enforce and it's still tight enough that a couple of wins could push anyone (other than Norwich) into a much safer position.

I'm not worried about us getting relegated as I think at least 3 of those will do less than us, but I'm fairly sanguine about us getting relegated anyway...
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

I don't massively disagree. The issue is going to be injuries. We have a mid-table first XI. We have a Championship second XI. He needs to find a keeper and he needs to find a formation that works. The 3-5-2 doesn't suit Lanzini or Rice (as a central midfielder) in my opinion. But then I'm not sure that the 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 gets the most out of Anderson or Haller.

We are also woefully slow down the right with Noble, Zabaleta, Lanzini and Balbuena out there. I actually think that the same formation that played against Sheff Utd with Antonio, Diop and Fornals in for Lanzinin, Zabaleta and Balbuena we would have got a result, so it's not panic stations but it is about getting people fit.

They have to sort the keeper out though. Without Fabianski we're starting a goal down every week. Which is tough when you're manager is playing for a 0-0.