Sheffield Utd 1-0 West Ham Utd (10/01/20)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Johnny_C WHU
Total likes: 1 like

Re: Sheffield United v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Johnny_C WHU »

Re the goal kick - I thought that the cup game and Bournemouth Fab looked uncomfortable kicking the ball. He looked better on Friday and ironically injured himself.

Martin also didn't look comfortable kicking the ball, some of his kicks were short and not to anyone in particular and he threw the ball out quite a few times. I honestly don't think he wanted to take goal kicks at risk of injuring himself again (back quicker than Fab) and took the short kick because of that. It was poor, and I think the generals reaction to the kick was also poor. I am sure Diop would have recovered that one.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 239 likes
Total likes: 472 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

goa127 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:08 am It may sound silly as they beat us, but I thought Sheffu were poor. They gave us two gilt-edged chances which we failed to take, and scored through our cock-up. The last-gasp 'equalizer' would have been well deserved. But that's football!
Yup they were.

That game was our season in a nutshell.

A total goalkeeping/defense error led to them scoring. We played some nice, neat and tidy football that never actually went anywhere. Players got frustrated and ended up hoofing the ball. We finally managed to score and VAR/Stupid Handball rule went against us.
JLCABA
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 157 likes

Post by JLCABA »

The palm of my right hand is lacerated and bleeding with my vain attempts to clutch at straws but did anyone think McBurnies goal might have been offside ?
Carrerageorge

Post by Carrerageorge »

Doc H Ball wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:02 pm Eh? They were heading to cars and hotels. The vast majority didn't go by coach.

I've not seen any news reports - can you put them up?
The report that I read was on here. Take your point about people heading for cars and hotels Doc
Graza

Post by Graza »

JLCABA wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:36 pm The palm of my right hand is lacerated and bleeding with my vain attempts to clutch at straws but did anyone think McBurnies goal might have been offside ?
Nope. Definitely on side.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

they deserved the win and the hard work video is out so all will be fine for Saturday !

ricarlison Walcott calvert lewin against our defence. ricarlison against zabaleta should be close !

tom davies siggurdsson in midfield will run rings around noble and co. rice must be hoping for a move to man utd in January to improve his euro chances !

2-0 to everton and a toxic toilet bowl by half time.

board out !
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3677 likes
Total likes: 2380 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:40 am We didn't have a shot on target until 77th minute

That is irrelevant anyway, it is more about the mindset. The managers/ players should not be thinking that a draw is a good result
Disagree with that Crouchie. A draw away from home is a good result for the majority of teams in this league, including us.

Pellegrini's win every game mantra was and is naive and ultimately got him the tin.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I am not saying a draw is a bad result in isolation
I am more saying that the attitude that a draw is a good result is not right
I dont like Gary Neville at all, but I agree with him that that type of mindset is a not a good one

If you go into games thinking a draw is a good result, or accepting it is, then you can become scared to try and go and win it. Loss Aversion is a very important behavioural influence
Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by Jon »

I thought Neville's comments were ignorant.

We have no right to beat anyone. If I've learnt anything in 45 years it's that.

Sheff Utd are having a fantastic season. When we came up last time we came 10th and beat a number of 'good sides' along the way.

Our current form is very poor. A good result at B Lane would have been a draw.
Johnny_C WHU
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Johnny_C WHU »

Jon wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:15 am I thought Neville's comments were ignorant.

We have no right to beat anyone. If I've learnt anything in 45 years it's that.

Sheff Utd are having a fantastic season. When we came up last time we came 10th and beat a number of 'good sides' along the way.

Our current form is very poor. A good result at B Lane would have been a draw.
Fully agree with this post.
Think Rice's comment has been taken too far. Had the goal stood it would have been a good draw. Had Lanzini squared the ball instead of shooting that would have been a good win etc.

Sheff Utd are 5th for a reason, we are where we are for a reason. it would have been a good draw.