Sheffield Utd 1-0 West Ham Utd (10/01/20)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9654 likes

Re: Sheffield United v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by S-H »

gegsy wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:01 pm this is like when I took those mushrooms.
I wish I had some shrooms.
Rasp
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by Rasp »

Up the Junction wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:57 pmtest
Could not get a sniff on here tonight during the game, so frustrating....
WTID
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by WTID »

Thought Rice was head an shoulders above everyone on the park tonight. Have we had any decision of VAR from an attacking point of view go in our favour this season? Ruined football for me.
Adecoker
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Adecoker »

Egan kicked Haller early doors he should have got a card but didnt. T hat set the tone. Our fairies didnt want to know(I saw cresswell, anderson and lanzini pull out of 50/50s) and their boys got stuck in. I am not a fan of Oliver
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 274 likes
Total likes: 352 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

ageing hammer wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:50 pm Imagine if we go to the final game of the season needing a win to stay up and the goal is scored in the 94th minute just like today and is disallowed by Var.

You just know that it will be one against us and that it won't be overturned in spite of being obvious and deliberate.
Barking Iron
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by Barking Iron »

The rules state deliberate or accidental hand ball by the attacker or assistant of the goal it bounces of Declan’s arm then it comes off the defenders leg then Declan runs off that’s when the attack starts
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Handball issues aside, one thing that made a diff was how Sheff Utd came out second half. Wilder had clearly instructed them not to give us as much time on the ball in midfield, where our passing play had been very good (ok we had 5 there). It was close, close, close as soon as we got the ball and we only got any penetration back after they'd got their goal. Masuaku wasn't doing well down the left and should have come off sooner.
Didn't feel like a bad defeat, but coming away and hearing their fans talking of being 'three wins from safety' brought it home the trouble we're in. We're in that orrible place now wondering where the points are going to come from.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

Well that went well.
I ended up not being able to watch any stream or post on here.
I blame Carlos Tevez
smuts
Has liked: 1533 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by smuts »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:04 pm Haller winds me up. I really think he can’t be ****ed.
Lanzini gets the ball from that slip and Haller can’t be bothered to work to get into the correct position. Nice ball comes in and Haller doesn’t work hard enough to get into a position where he can get a good connection. He instead pretty much puts in into the ground with his face. Good balls put through to him and he jogs around. Look at Mousset. Any similar ball and he’s giving 100% to chase it or get into the right position.

If Haller is who we are relying on we are in massive trouble.
I seriously haven't seen him make a sprint all season. He just jogs around. You are right about the Lanzini chance, got his position all wrong.

Good finish for the offside though.
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Football went into a coma for me when we moved, tonight they pulled the plug.
MK-Hammer
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 142 likes

Post by MK-Hammer »

Our shape is better but our deficiencies were exposed ....Our defence don’t look confident with the ball when we try and play out from the back ....Balbuena in particular....tends to play a long ball to Haller in hope ....also our midfield don’t help them with out balls
As pointed out constantly on Sky our midfield was slower than theirs ...even though we possessed the more talented players ....but without the ball they cannot present a danger to the opposition. And when Rice or Noble did have the ball Lanzini seemed to be invisible.
I get very frustrated with Lanzini & Masuaku....both passengers and don’t work hard enough for the team.
Anderson whilst frustrating that he’s not hitting the form of last season worked harder than both and presented a greater threat.

Going to be a tough January...hopefully Fabs not out for too long and Anderson’s injury not too bad.
keithwright1977

Post by keithwright1977 »

How many teams have had two different goalkeepers make the same mistake in separate games with passes to the same player that have ended up leading to goals being scored. These goalkeepers shouldn’t be playing Sunday league let alone premier league
Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 616 likes

Post by Croydon »

Rumour has it Balbuena is till punting balls up the field to no one in particular.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

HammerPDC wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:23 pm I’m sorry this kind of attitude is what I take issue with

Gary Neville has just said as much on Sky and he’s right we went there tonight looking for 1 point set a team out for 1 point and would have been elated with 1 point

Now if your going to City, Liverpool then fair enough they imo are the only two occasions in a season you’d be forgiven for having that attitude, we were at Sheffield United

I know they are going well and that leads me into my second point they’re going well because they get stuck in their physical and put it all on the line for the result. I didn’t see one pair of b*llocks in a West Ham shirt tonight and that’s been a theme since I’d say Big Sam left

We aren’t where we are in the division because of our team on paper. It’s actually got good quality in it. We are there because of our physical commitment, effort and attitude, point blank

My third and final point is David Moyes. He is the manager now he sets the tone he sets the culture he sets the attitude and he wants to go there tonight and play all the defenders he can find and try and play out a 0 - 0 well for that we got what we deserved. You play 3 forward players you have 5 or so shots and you don’t win games. The game has passed David Moyes by its been 7 or so years since he was last playing attractive football in this league and despite the Bournemouth game that’s the real Moyes tonight and imo he’s gonna take us down to the wire and if we go down we deserve it
Haller, Anderson and lanzini have clear chances, haller goal just offside and snods wrongly dissallowed. Thats not a side turning up for a point only. I thought we played well in the first half but got bullied in the 2nd. Its funny how people forget that football is 11 v 11 and we have no right to beat anyone just because we have technical players. We tried tonight but got undone by a brain fart which seems to happen a lot to us.
Moxy

Post by Moxy »

This ones really done me how can football seem so crap compared to A few years ago in that last season at the Boleyn. Clubs rotten from top to bottom, they might be a flash in the pan and probably are but sheff United seemed so much more up for it than us.
f*** VAR
f*** the Olympic stadium
f*** the so called next level
f*** GSB
Really think going down might be best in the long run, we remind me of how Sunderland was a few seasons ago, just barely surviving year after year while aiming for nothing. This is no fun anymore we’re rotten as a club from top to bottom.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1516 likes
Total likes: 3182 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Ludicrous that handball rule. I get it, but consistency doesn't mean right. It keeps being consistently wrong, so it's a joke.

I get Rice's arm is out, but he's bouncing off someone and running forward. Refs will see actual handballs more often than not, ones like those are just a bad rule. VAR is going to spot them, but the rule is the issue.

I think we were alright, xG weighs heavily for them but think it misses a few things, but I do think Moyes played it wrong in the second half. We actually seemed to get worse for Snodgrass's introduction, aside from his set pieces, whilst he dithered with the last substitution and it was too late. We didn't seem to be desperately searching for a goal, we got worse and whilst Lanzini wasn't great, Noble was basically a zombie and we'd have been better with Lanzini in deep than Noble standing still. Or Snodgrass in the middle and Masuaku staying on out wide.

A poor managerial performance in game, although I liked the first half setup and we were let down by a mistake
Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We, the small people, protest) Untill DIGNITY will became usual"

Post by Universidad-de-Chile »

Sorry for the post²
Last edited by Universidad-de-Chile on Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kev
Midfield enforcer
Location: In an old Bakehouse that never stops needing money!
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by kev »

Personally I thought Haller's movement and touch was top drawer tonight. His issue was lack of service until snods came on and the players around not being clever or quick enough to see the run or lay offs. I don't get Moyes and rice saying it was a good performance it was bang average.
Fornals should be gutted not to start and Lanzini doesn't warrant a first team start at minute. Also Snods is hard done by to be on bench. masuaku delivery and decision making is awful
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:04 pm Haller winds me up. I really think he can’t be ****ed.
Lanzini gets the ball from that slip and Haller can’t be bothered to work to get into the correct position. Nice ball comes in and Haller doesn’t work hard enough to get into a position where he can get a good connection. He instead pretty much puts in into the ground with his face. Good balls put through to him and he jogs around. Look at Mousset. Any similar ball and he’s giving 100% to chase it or get into the right position.

If Haller is who we are relying on we are in massive trouble.
You know what Martello, he reminds me of Carroll in the sense that every now and again he will pull out a really great finish or bit of skill, but has absolutely no strikers instinct in the box or any real understanding of how to make intelligent runs to stretch a defence.

Even for the offside goal he should have been clever enough to stay onside. He was looking right down the line from the dead ball. It isn't as though the Sheffield U defence pushed up on him

A very frustrating player IMHO

We need antonio back quick smart
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

KM1991 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:41 pm Hire a tactical dinasour as manager and this is what happens. It’s 2020 and our entire game plan was playing long balls to Haller all game and hope we didn’t concede. Embarrassing
We've put in the same sort of performance against the same kind of shitty, grinding, hardworking side as Sheffield Utd under every single West Ham manager I've ever watched, under every single West Ham team I've ever watched, going back to the late 80s.

My issue is that people can't wait for the first opportunity to jump down Moyes' throat, when he's come into a very challenging scenario, and accuse him of being awful when every single ****ing manager or team we've ever had has been no different.