Sheffield Utd 1-0 West Ham Utd (10/01/20)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 142 likes

Re: Sheffield United v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Jon »

A brilliant run by Rice at the end to no avail.

However, it was the sort of run and set up that Lanzini/Haller/Anderson should be doing.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Korea Hammer wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:25 am Leicester twice too
They recently beat us 2-1 with their reserves. As has been said above too many winnable games have passed us by i think.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

A poor game to watch from a neutral perspective, but I thought we played OK (6/10) and were by far the better team throughout. Apart from Martin's ricket I really couldn't see them scoring. I can only remember them having one other clear chance (which Martin saved) whereas we had at least 4 or 5. Today I am disappointed and frustrated rather than feeling embarrassed, which I have been after most defeats this season.

As for the disallowed goals, well Haller was offside and the linesman called it, but the handball one is ridiculous. Very similar to Antonio's that was ruled out the other week. To be fair to VAR, most of its 'problems' are just showing up how stupid many of the games current laws are and do nothing to ensure entertainment and enjoyment.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

TIME TO MOVE ON AND GET READY FOR EVERTON AND THE PROTEST

we are down now I feel.

championship here we come with 35k corwds if we are lucky and doing well. a half empty bowl will enhance the experience !

expect diop rice haller Anderson to all leave which will soften the blwo for the dido boys.

hughill to return as CF diagana to return and Cullen in midfield. next level baby !!
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

Jon wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:29 am A brilliant run by Rice at the end to no avail.

However, it was the sort of run and set up that Lanzini/Haller/Anderson should be doing.
Haller had about 3 defenders around him everywhere he went.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

jacko wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:26 am Fornals has been on form. I can't understand why you wouldn't have started him the first place.
Sticking with those he trusts and knows from previously imo.

Noble was the only one who absolutely underperformed all game yesterday. A stinker of a performance.

Lanzini was quite good first half, he's forced a couple of saves the second half. He seems desperate to score when he should sometimes pass.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

which should leave space for our midfielders to run into however apart from Anderson no one runs. noble lanzini all go sideways and backwards.

nah we are going down. poor game awful to watch.
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

BondsoBob wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:55 am Unfortunately I think that was one of those pivotal games that we had to get something out of.
I really do think we are in real relegation trouble now.
Definitely.

Saying that, I don’t think we would’ve lost that one if Fabianski stayed fit.

You can’t then compensate for mistakes like the one between Martin and Balbuena - the VAR result made little difference, they hardly troubled us and our abysmal error gifted them their goal.
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1089 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:45 am Sticking with those he trusts and knows from previously imo.

Noble was the only one who absolutely underperformed all game yesterday. A stinker of a performance.

Lanzini was quite good first half, he's forced a couple of saves the second half. He seems desperate to score when he should sometimes pass.
:thup:
Our transition is still our big issue imo. In the first half we had Masuaku but otherwise relied on Lanzini or Anderson to drop deep - and they pinged a number of decent, quick passes around to get us out of our half. The problem was that they were not upfield to collect them as a result. Noble and Zaba were passengers on transition - in arguably two of the three key roles to get the ball up the field to our attacking players.
ohsnap
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by ohsnap »

I didnt think we desevered a draw but that didnt make the disallowed goal any less hard to take. I thought we were terrible too to be honest, I havent been that frustrated watching a game in a long time. Constantly giving the ball away, holding the ball and having no outlet to keep going, it was just extremely frustrating and i was starting to lose my voice from shouting at the tv so much. I think there is potential there but our midfield let us down that game. I dont understand why lanzini started over fornals who has been our in form midfielder of late, bearing in mind he made an instanct impact in the cup game too. I didnt think Haller got any service today until Snodgrass came on too :think: i dunno, feel like we have enough to stay up but the run of fixtures is absolutely terrible and we really could be in trouble
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Diogenes wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:31 am A poor game to watch from a neutral perspective, but I thought we played OK (6/10) and were by far the better team throughout. Apart from Martin's ricket I really couldn't see them scoring. I can only remember them having one other clear chance (which Martin saved) whereas we had at least 4 or 5. Today I am disappointed and frustrated rather than feeling embarrassed, which I have been after most defeats this season.
They missed 2 headers from a couple of yards out which should have been goals, and the wide open goal Fleck just missed on his rebound attempt...

I think they absolutely bossed us for at least 80 minutes, proper high energy tackling and quick passing, whereas we were the complete opposite, constantly making **** passes.

They deserved to beat us.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Think we were highly fortunate against Bournemouth - deflected first goal, a penalty that probably shouldn’t have been given and Cresswell getting a VAR reprieve (just in case anyone’s forgotten just how recently it worked in our favour...the last league fixture). And highly unfortunate last night with Fab’s injury directly contributing to the only goal and a flukey piece of physics denying the equaliser.

Because of that it’s hard to truly get a handle on the performance, since the result colours so much of the perception afterwards.
Brown Sauce
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Brown Sauce »

100% what DDHammer said.

We got what we deserved. Nothing.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

exactly. how many of ours would get in their team ? ogbonna Anderson haller maybe ?

deserved to lose after another awful performance. the honeymonn is over and the bride is unsatisfied !
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 843 likes

Post by mushy »

DDHammer wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:51 am

I think they absolutely bossed us for at least 80 minutes.
I could not disagree more.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1794 likes
Total likes: 1119 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Just watched Declan’s interview on Sky, he makes a great point. Supporters are celebrating VAR decisions like it’s a goal, sometimes even more so as you’re now not sure to even celebrate an actual goal. Can’t be right.
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Well we saw why Sheffield Utd are where they are in the table, they put a lot of energy into their performances and in today's game that seems to work well. That handball decision really lowers my already waning interest in football, where is Declan meant to put his hand whilst running, whilst someone from a foot away is heading the ball onto him? Nah, f*** VAR and f*** football until they get rid of that ****. Listening to them scummy fans celebrating our goal being taken away sucks. Anderson is dogshit too, seems no one is gonna get a tune out of that.
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

I think Anderson worked very hard. I dont thin he's dogshite. I think he's got a lot of quality but he is clearly a player very very low on confidence.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

hammer1975 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:49 am :thup:
Our transition is still our big issue imo. In the first half we had Masuaku but otherwise relied on Lanzini or Anderson to drop deep - and they pinged a number of decent, quick passes around to get us out of our half. The problem was that they were not upfield to collect them as a result. Noble and Zaba were passengers on transition - in arguably two of the three key roles to get the ball up the field to our attacking players.
Yep.

Fabianski stays in goal - we get a point.
Fredericks or Antonio is available - we possibly win as we are more effective on the counter.

It's amazing just how important seemingly minor players have become. God knows what they will do if Rice gets injured,

There aren't a huge number of glaring holes when the best XI is available; but there's bugger all depth in terms of quality in this squad.

The make-do decisions in the summer on back up positions were appalling.

Some that have been counted on have been useless on the pitch; some haven't even made it to the pitch.
HammerPDC
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 1084 likes

Post by HammerPDC »

DDHammer wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:51 am They missed 2 headers from a couple of yards out which should have been goals, and the wide open goal Fleck just missed on his rebound attempt...

I think they absolutely bossed us for at least 80 minutes, proper high energy tackling and quick passing, whereas we were the complete opposite, constantly making **** passes.

They deserved to beat us.
I agree

The amount of challenges we pulled out of, the amount of headers we pulled out of and to be fair to Sheffield United what they lack in technical ability they more than make up for in effort and commitment

The only time I really saw us show a bit of fight and desire to stand up to them was Rice at the end for the goal

Got what we deserved