Declan Rice The Moyes Effect

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

keithwright1977

Declan Rice The Moyes Effect

Post by keithwright1977 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:09 am

In the last two matches Declan Rice’s performances have shown a massive improvement. Under Pellegrini he was really struggling and running around like a headless chicken but since Moyes has come in he looks a different player, he was excellent in the Bournemouth game and was our best player against Gillingham. I don’t know whether it was a communication problem under the last manager or whether he became in trenched in a rut with the way things were going. I was beginning to think that he was overrated but recent performances have shown that he might well live up to expectations and he could be a valuable member of the team. I hope he can continue with his current form and we get a decent player in to help him out because I’m beginning to think that he is the type of player we can build the team around.

swash

Re: Declan Rice The Moyes Effect

Post by swash » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:13 am

Like to see how he performs against better opposition, before we give Moyes too much credit.

fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:14 am

Rice hasn't really dropped off in any of the games I've seen this season.

He always tries hard and always puts as much effort in as I would expect to see, with the exception of maybe 1 or 2 games where he was just completely anonymous. They happen to everyone sometimes.

The real difference is that everyone else is trying harder. It's virtually impossible to press the opposition on your own, especially from a holding midfield position. We've pressed much better as a collective and as such, Declan appears to be running around less like a headless chicken. The reality is he's doing the same things he was in previous games, they're just working now.

irving boleyn

Post by irving boleyn » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:28 am

Agree with Mr grey !

He will not be able to show his quality in a badly balanced team,when stretched too far, as in when Pelle had Noble playing much further forward in a large chunk of games this season.

Or when the wide mids arent adequately covering their full backs.

I think he is top drawer.

Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:44 am

FJ :thup:

JustJoe85

Post by JustJoe85 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:56 am

I thought he was great vs Bournemouth but agree he has been our only shining light in some dark places this season. The bump from the rest of the team lifted Declan as well.

Against Gillingham I thought he had it tough 1st half but Moyes said post match he asked them to get 10 yards higher up and it did Rice the world of good and he ran the midfield second half completely. Good from Moyes to encourage that

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:11 am

decs has been ur best player this season yet again. IF they buy someone to help him in the middle so we don't have to rely on snoddy noble or god help us sanchez then he will improve yet more. top top player who I hope we see in our shirt for many years but fear the worst with our owners if a 60m bid comes in from united or city .

that is why we need players like berge fernandes and Barbosa rather than the girouds or allens !

Billy Hunt

Post by Billy Hunt » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:11 pm

I feel many have a bit of a blind spot where Rice is concerned.

He has had a fair number of poor games this season, along with many others, but seems to escape criticism in most parts. Where I sit he can do no wrong, even when he does, as it's always someone else's fault.

Perhaps he has been trying to do too much at times and sometimes has been a bit exposed, looking like the young, relatively inexperienced player he is.

He has the ability and self belief to bounce back from a mistake or poor game and if he continues to add things like that pass to Anderson for the final goal against Bournemouth he will become the player most want/think he ought to be.

Only shining light though, what about Ogbonna ? Who, just a short while back according to many, including a fair number of posters on here, should never play for the club again ...

The Moyes effect ? Maybe, given after the Gillingham game he said the "old" West Ham would have lost that game.

Estuary

Post by Estuary » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:14 pm

hammerman11 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:11 am
decs has been ur best player this season yet again. IF they buy someone to help him in the middle so we don't have to rely on snoddy noble or god help us sanchez then he will improve yet more. top top player who I hope we see in our shirt for many years but fear the worst with our owners if a 60m bid comes in from united or city .

that is why we need players like berge fernandes and Barbosa rather than the girouds or allens !
Ogbonna has been our best player this season, then Fabianski, then Snodgrass.

keithwright1977

Post by keithwright1977 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:44 pm

I know Rice has had some difficult times this year and at times I’ve wondered if he would ever be able to pass to ball to one of our players. I just think that maybe Moyes has seen players similar to Rice and can understand different ways of dealing with them and getting the best out of them. Of late I’ve seen a player that could go on to bigger and better things, I just hope it continues

JonG86

Post by JonG86 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:03 pm

Last time Moyes was here saw a huge upturn in Obiangs form and there were videos of Moyes working 1 on 1 with Obiang in training.

I'd presume that Moyes is doing the same with Rice. Especially when it comes to taking the ball on the half turn and passing forwards, which hes doing so much better at in the last 2 games.
Last edited by JonG86 on Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JonG86

Post by JonG86 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:04 pm

Double ppst

Kialos

Post by Kialos » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:05 pm

Rice has had several games this season where he has not performed to his usual standard. The whole team was struggling and it got worse when it became clear the manager was on his way out. Being led by a dead man walking must be demoralising and confidence sapping. Now that issue is out the way I expect to see him and other players become more confident and hopefully play better. I would not say that Moyes has managed to coach him into being a better player within the space of 2 weeks, Rice was already a good player and was a good player last season under Pellegrini.

rciron

Post by rciron » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:12 pm

hammerman11 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:11 am

:thup:

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Post by Up the Junction » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:16 pm

Estuary wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:14 pm
Ogbonna has been our best player this season, then Fabianski, then Snodgrass.
I'm with you on numbers one and two. :thup:

Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:18 pm

keithwright1977 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:44 pm
I know Rice has had some difficult times this year and at times I’ve wondered if he would ever be able to pass to ball to one of our players. I just think that maybe Moyes has seen players similar to Rice and can understand different ways of dealing with them and getting the best out of them. Of late I’ve seen a player that could go on to bigger and better things, I just hope it continues
He could be the new, even better, Lee Carsley - with hair!