West Ham Utd 1-1 Everton (18/01/20)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

ornchurch ammer
Has liked: 131 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Re: West Ham United v Everton: Match Thread

Post by ornchurch ammer »

johnnyb wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:59 pm I know he has his own thread but f*ck me, Haller's general play today was abysmal. Slower than Zaba, control non-existent, passing shocking. £45m? Nah.
He is too isolated and needs a partner alongside him. His percentage at winning headers is far better than Carroll.

We have not had a decent goal scoring forward for years and the biggest reason is only playing 1 up front. I would sacrifice a 1 in 10 player like Lanzini or Anderson for a second striker as there goals and assist stats are appalling.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Samba »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:58 pm We will lose money on him because we overpaid by about 20m
It's like we've got an idiot signing the cheques..
OFT
Has liked: 3188 likes
Total likes: 1831 likes

Post by OFT »

ornchurch ammer wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:02 pm

We need to realise that the best way to defend now is to fall over and hold your head when the opposition have possession in or immediately around your penalty box. The ref will then stop the game and allow the rest of the team to get back for the restart.
:thup:

I do wonder how much further the game can deteriorate before no true fan can be arsed with any of it.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Randolph didn't have much to do.
Zabaleta was fine except the goal.
Diop decent
Ogbonna played well
Cresswell was okay, some decent crosses
Noble with some good work in the middle, should have had two assists but for a wasteful Haller
Rice, good as usual.
Snodgrass' delivery is incredible
Fornals worked hard, showed some quality
Lanzini anonymous
Haller very wasteful, should have had a hat trick

Should have probably won.
Depressed Hammer

Post by Depressed Hammer »

thejackhammer wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:11 pm Randolph didn't have much to do.
Zabaleta was fine except the goal.
Diop decent
Ogbonna played well
Cresswell was okay, some decent crosses
Noble with some good work in the middle, should have had two assists but for a wasteful Haller
Rice, good as usual.
Snodgrass' delivery is incredible
Fornals worked hard, showed some quality
Lanzini anonymous
Haller very wasteful, should have had a hat trick

Should have probably won.
Zabby had no chance for their goal. The ball was no where near him.
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by smuts »

ornchurch ammer wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:02 pm The game was stopped for the head injury and the VAR check came whilst the ball was dead.

We need to realise that the best way to defend now is to fall over and hold your head when the opposition have possession in or immediately around your penalty box. The ref will then stop the game and allow the rest of the team to get back for the restart.

As for the VAR check if there was the slightest indication of a head butt there would have been a red card. No doubts.
The good old Burnley tactic...used especially everytime Carroll went up for a header.

A proper disgusting tactic.
Writtle iron
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by Writtle iron »

A very boring slow game !!

Haller is never going to be a player that makes things happen he is really just a larger Hernandez ,give him the ball in the box and he can finish.
Lanzini has lost all his attacking speed and skill .
Creswell can only cross if the defender stands away from him and Snods has to check back on to his left foot every time and everyone knows it.
Fornals puts in the effort and is getting better he should never have been taken off.
who knows what Ajeti is really like , 5-10 mins tells us nothing
Noble played ok today as did Rice.
Zab put in a good performance but I don't know if that is really a good thing that one of your best players is your 35 yr old right back it just shows how slow the rest of the team are.
Everton were poor today and as usual we didn't make the most of it.

It was the usual slow and quiet walk back to the station -and so we plod on !!!!
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

OFT wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:03 pm Samba wondered if he was provoked and I believe he was BUT, I'm not disputing that he was very fortunate to stay on the pitch, and that you're right about VAR. It, or it's interpretation, is hideous.
Oh I know I wasn't dismissing the provocation side of it. Just that, by the letter of the law etc, I really expected to see a red after the review.

Taking off my C&B specs how they can watch that footage back and not see him back head the guy is beyond me. Whoever the VAR was today shouldn't be allowed near a game for a very long time.
e17
Has liked: 282 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

Thought we were the better team today but that’s not saying much. Everton are appalling.

Ancelotti is just there for the dough and is a brutally overrated foreign Allardyce careerist. He’ll be gone by the summer.

Our bench today should confirm if there was any doubt they need to give Moyes some serious reinforcements in midfield and up front.
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by smuts »

Writtle iron wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:16 pm Haller is never going to be a player that makes things happen he is really just a larger Hernandez ,give him the ball in the box and he can finish.
Might be okay at hitting it first time but that effort when he was put through... :oops:

Awful first touch and a half hit effort on goal.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2024 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Writtle iron wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:16 pm

he is really just a larger Hernandez ,
Lol, he wishes he was a larger Hernandez. His movement isn't even 10% of Hernandez.
OFT
Has liked: 3188 likes
Total likes: 1831 likes

Post by OFT »

smuts wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:35 pm Might be okay at hitting it first time but that effort when he was put through... :oops:

Awful first touch and a half hit effort on goal.
My first thought on seeing it was Anderson would have scored that, even allowing for his recent form
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1041 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

If anyone knows the Aussie family we bumped into with the mum with a dodgy ankle - hope you all had a great game and dad enjoyed his game. :thup:
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1041 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Haller is somewhere between a less injury prone Carroll or slightly more mobile Dowie.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by Rocketron »

ornchurch ammer wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:07 pm He is too isolated and needs a partner alongside him. His percentage at winning headers is far better than Carroll.

We have not had a decent goal scoring forward for years and the biggest reason is only playing 1 up front. I would sacrifice a 1 in 10 player like Lanzini or Anderson for a second striker as there goals and assist stats are appalling.
According to the commentator I was listening to, he has won more aerial duels than anyone in the league.
MrHammer73
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by MrHammer73 »

Georgee Paris wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:45 pm Haller is somewhere between a less injury prone Carroll or slightly more mobile Dowie.
Haller I had my doubts when he missed that one to one opportunity against Gillingham, with his price tag he should have buried it. Maybe he needs a partner up front to be effective but we said the same with Hernandez. Poor planning yet again, another forward who is not suited to play the lone striker role.
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

Georgee Paris wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:45 pm Haller is somewhere between a less injury prone Carroll or slightly more mobile Dowie.
Would love to say a bit harsh, but in truth that description is too close to the reality to fend off so easily.
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

MrHammer73 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:07 pm Haller I had my doubts when he missed that one to one opportunity against Gillingham, with his price tag he should have buried it. Maybe he needs a partner up front to be effective but we said the same with Hernandez. Poor planning yet again, another forward who is not suited to play the lone striker role.
It took the geniuses at the top the best part of ten years to get one starting striker, not confident we will find another much quicker.
e17
Has liked: 282 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

Haller makes me miss Arnautovic
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:38 pm Lol, he wishes he was a larger Hernandez. His movement isn't even 10% of Hernandez.

I know people don't like him, and will.no doubt refer to the fact he hasn't done well at Sevilla, but if Hernandez had played 90% of games for us this season we would be about six points better off than we are now