West Ham Utd 1-1 Everton (18/01/20)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Re: West Ham United v Everton: Match Thread

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Sick of watching Cresswell too - such an average player, god knows why we haven't got rid of him yet.

Really tired of him running up the left wing, cutting back and playing a backwards pass to one of our centre-mids. No versatility in his play, I think I could defend against him on that wing.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Cresswell cutting back is an improvement !

I'm pleased he's learned,or been taught? that he doesn't have the pace or guile to go around defenders,

Best to retain posession if you can't progress the attack,
Aceface
Has liked: 377 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Post by Aceface »

I didn't think Haller played that badly. There are individual moments that frustrate but there are always moments of quality too where you can see what he'd offer in slightly different circumstances. The price tag and his demeanor don't help much to endear him admittedly.

It's easy to say a £45m player should be able to adapt to different ways of playing, but it wasn't him who priced himself at that figure – our decisionmakers did. So the onus is as much on them to make it work as him. He scored 20 goals last season working with a group of three forwards, and played his best football for us when Antonio is beside him, so it's far from a lost cause.
The Green Man
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by The Green Man »

Honestly think if we had Diangana on the left and Antonio on the right behind Haller we'd be devastating.

Shame we won't see it.
daytimedave
Has liked: 271 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by daytimedave »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:18 am Not sure what to make of the game, we lacked a cutting edge and didn't really test them enough. Haller is way too isolated and we lack pace on the park.

Everton were rubbish 1st half, came out 2nd half better. Rice needs some legs beside him & movement in front of him, that boy really is top quality.
Lanzini is presently a shadow of his former self, strange decision taking Pablo off as he was trying to make things happen even if it wasn't his best game for us in regards to quality.

A draw was a fair result in what was a pretty abject game.
spot on,really should have won the game , everton were there for the taking in the first half , dissapointing ,2 points dropped if you ask me .
Depressed Hammer

Post by Depressed Hammer »

The Green Man wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:05 pm Honestly think if we had Diangana on the left and Antonio on the right behind Haller we'd be devastating.

Shame we won't see it.
Considering he was out a month through injury and came off tonight after 3 mins it wont matter either way
Graza

Post by Graza »

LincolnshireHammer wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:52 am Sick of watching Cresswell too - such an average player, god knows why we haven't got rid of him yet.

Really tired of him running up the left wing, cutting back and playing a backwards pass to one of our centre-mids. No versatility in his play, I think I could defend against him on that wing.
In fairness to him he's supposed to be defending not being defended against. He also put in a couple of decent balls including an absolute peach right onto Hallers bonce that if he'd got over would have seen us one up earlier.

When we are getting pushed back Cresswell tends to sit more and so he fell out of the game at the weekend, but that was true of half the team to be fair.

He's not the fastest, he's not the best defender, he's not the best flying wing back. He's also far from the worst player in our squad (even now Roberto has ****ed off) and doesn't really deserve that kind of ire IMO.

To answer the question of why we haven't gotten rid of him, because the replacement would either be a freebie of no better quality (probably a shot has been in the Evra mould rather than the Zab one) or actual money would have to be spent on a defender, which with one exception isn't how this club has ever been run and definitely not over the last decade.