Deloitte money league, Where are we ranked?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

TheHandOfDog

Deloitte money league, Where are we ranked?

Post by TheHandOfDog » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:07 am

An interesting topic that really shows just how wrong things are at our club. Here is the link to the site, PDF there to download

https://www2.deloitte.com/uk/en/pages/s ... eague.html

Bonkers.

Gsbgsb

Re: Deloitte money league, Where are we ranked?

Post by Gsbgsb » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:39 am

That is the Premier League for you. 8 of the top 20 with Newcastle 21st. I bet if you were to look at the top 40 you would have very established Premier League club. It leaves the French, German, Spanish and Italian leagues miles behind.

Yet people wonder why our owners and Ashley put a value of around £500m on their asset, it is also why the value plummets following relegation and the prospect of a sale at that stage recedes. There is no gravy train quite like the Premier League.

Pob!

Post by Pob! » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:39 am

There is also this just released 2020 review..

https://www.cityam.com/worlds-richest-f ... lubs-2020/

Ozza

Post by Ozza » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:42 am

And where would we sit if we go down?

sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Post by sanchoz » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:43 am

67% of calculated overall revenue for West Ham United according to this study comes from broadcasting rights (£127.4m), 19% is commercial (£36.2m) and 14% is from matchday sales (£27.1m). Third highest total of broadcasting revenue with only Everton and Roma (ranked 19th and 20th) showing higher percentages of overall revenue being made up more by broadcasting. Out of all 20, we are ranked bottom for commercial with the aforementioned Everton and Roma suffering with their calculated match day revenues but outperforming us commercially. That directly falls on the people running the football club from the top down that they are not managing to strike commercial deals that help to elevate the football club to the "next level".

Not clear from what I can see but I don't believe this takes into consideration after tax profits/losses on those figures.

SEAHammer

Post by SEAHammer » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:14 am

The Deloitte numbers dramatically show the 'cost' of relegation we turnover 216m of which a massive 127m comes from broadcast revenue ... the highest broadcasting revenue paid in the Championship last season was 46m .... Last year's three relegated clubs saw their incomes drop by 49%, 49% and 52% respectively ... on that basis we would expect to lose about 108m in revenue whilst receiving just 42m in parachute payments .... how many players will need to be sold to cover that shortfall? or will GSB chuck in 70m in high interest loans?

Georgee Paris

Post by Georgee Paris » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:27 am

We are still the biggest shittiest club in the world :scarfer:
Last edited by Georgee Paris on Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:36 am

Holloway..

sendô

Post by sendô » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:40 am

So glad we moved stadium so we could go to the next level - still fighting relegation.

boleyn24

Post by boleyn24 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:40 am

I'm sure there was some financial guy from Deloitte who was on the Sky football debate show last year who said West Ham should have a net spend of £50M on transfer each season with the revenue we was brining in.
This info coming out now just in time for Saturday demo :scarfer:

Boleyn Bill

Post by Boleyn Bill » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:30 am

sanchoz wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:43 am
67% of calculated overall revenue for West Ham United according to this study comes from broadcasting rights (£127.4m), 19% is commercial (£36.2m) and 14% is from matchday sales (£27.1m). Third highest total of broadcasting revenue with only Everton and Roma (ranked 19th and 20th) showing higher percentages of overall revenue being made up more by broadcasting. Out of all 20, we are ranked bottom for commercial with the aforementioned Everton and Roma suffering with their calculated match day revenues but outperforming us commercially. That directly falls on the people running the football club from the top down that they are not managing to strike commercial deals that help to elevate the football club to the "next level".
While I can't stand the individuals running our club, I don't think one can really lay the blame at their door. The reason that we have the lowest commercial revenues of all those clubs is because we are by far the least successful of all those clubs. We have won very few trophies in our existence and hardly ever competed in Europe (compare the number of times that we have competed with all the other clubs). Commercial revenues tend to follow success, success generates more exposure and more fans. The more exposure and more fans you have the more that companies will pay in sponsorships.

There are only three reasons why we are ranked as high as 18th in this list. In order of importance they are:

1. We are in the Premier League
2. We are in London
3. We have a large stadium capacity.

We can see quite evidently how hard it is for us to climb further up the table as this means consistent European football, the problem being that while we are an admirable 18th in revenue in Europe, we are only 7th in England, with the revenues of the 6 clubs ranked higher than us all absolutely dwarfing ours. Coupled with that is the fact that the English clubs we are ahead of all have revenues very close to ours.

Mega Ron

Post by Mega Ron » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:37 am

Georgee Paris wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:27 am
We are still the biggest shittiest club in the world :scarfer:
We are top of the league, say we are top of the league. Of ****

Johnny_C WHU

Post by Johnny_C WHU » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:47 am

This is what gets me the most I think.

We are in a financially saturated league, close to the heart of London in a 60k capacity stadium (bear with me...) we have (had) the potential to be a big club pushing for honours. Under the right stewardship we could be all those things the dynamic trio said we could be, Klopp would have regretted turning us down!

Boleyn Bill

Post by Boleyn Bill » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:01 am

Johnny_C WHU wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:47 am

We are in a financially saturated league, close to the heart of London in a 60k capacity stadium (bear with me...) we have (had) the potential to be a big club pushing for honours. Under the right stewardship we could be all those things the dynamic trio said we could be, Klopp would have regretted turning us down!
Only with owners prepared to pump in at least £100 million a year of their own money for a fair few years (and possibly a fair amount more than that). This is also getting harder and harder to do with the Financial fair play rules.

szola

Post by szola » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:05 am

Georgee Paris wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:27 am
We are still the biggest shittiest club in the world
No. That is still, and will always be Schalke 04. The most successful team of the Third Reich :D

SammyLeeWasOffside

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:07 am

Johnny_C WHU wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:47 am

And if they put season tickets up to £600-£700 you would call them money grabbing shysters.

Looking at that list we are about right, a middling pl club light years off the top 6. We spend around the same on fees and wages as the club's around us. We just spent it on a busted manager and flawed dof in this cycle.

PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow

Post by PF. » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:08 am

Boleyn Bill wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:30 am
While I can't stand the individuals running our club, I don't think one can really lay the blame at their door.
Whilst I agree with some of your notes BB, I'm sure you'd acknowledge that with the comparatively low running costs (to WHU) of the Olympic Stadium, our profit should be much improved, meaning there should be available cash to invest in the playing squad.

Johnny_C WHU

Post by Johnny_C WHU » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:18 am

I was being a little tongue in cheek, wasn't that the point of the move?

I know we wasn't going to turn into Man City without outside investment but at least be competitive in the Europa League etc. and push from there.
The money is there to be in situ with Everton, Leicester etc. yet we compete financially with Palace and Bournemouth.

Macca1973

Post by Macca1973 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:29 am

sendô wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:40 am
So glad we moved stadium so we could go to the next level - still fighting relegation.
The more you see these things the truer it becomes! Clearly Gold and Sullivan meant taking their own earnings and profits to the next level because the club has stayed exactly where it's always been apart from in terms of our home and their income. Look at the rest of that list and the success and league positions the rest of those clubs achieve compared to us and maybe Everton too, it's quite shocking ownership really, complete greed and incompetence!

Believer

Post by Believer » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:00 am

Just exactly what are our outgoings each season ?

Rent £3m
Wages £80m ?
Training Ground £5000 ?

Why on earth are we skint ? How can a club ranked 18th richest inn Europe be skanking around Europe trying to sign reserve players on loan ?

Where is the money ?