Are YOU happy at the Olympic/London Stadium?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

asters89

Re: [POLL] Are YOU happy at the Olympic/London Stadium?

Post by asters89 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:13 pm

I'm happy enough with it. My seat is lower tier behind the goal so not too far from the pitch and I go to Pudding Mill lane.

If I sat in the upper tier and had to deal with the stop/goes getting into Stratford, I don't think I'd bother.

warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:26 pm

where's the "happy to stay away" button?

goa127

Post by goa127 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:29 pm

I'm unashamedly generally in the happy camp but I do understand some of the issues. However the one that puzzles me most is people's hatred of the location. In the seventies and eighties my journey to UP involved driving from Chadwell Heath, parking somewhere near plashet park and walking over the iron bridge, past some garages, down a small terraced road, through an alleyway past the bus garage and out into Boleyn road and the chicken run. Inspiring and atmospheric it wasn't. In more recent years with parking controls I would come by district line from Upney. The walk down Green st was nice and short, dodging the traffic with all the others. Coming out I'd always walk to East Ham because the crush for Upton Park was unbearable, bit like the stop/go mob now. (I avoid that by staying for a pint with friends). I usually arrive quite late on my own and although at my age I could do with a shorter walk I quite enjoy joining the large snake of fans moaning on their way! Don't enjoy the security checks but they seem to be better these days in 5 minutes before KO they've virtually disappeared. Perhaps I'm just a soulless person but I quite like the general Olympic park

Pop Robson

Post by Pop Robson » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:40 pm

Pop Robson wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:08 pm
Can't stand the place so I ain't been this season.

So after 15 seasons and missing only 2 home league games over those seasons, I've missed all 4 home games this season.
Still can't stand the place

Since packing it in May 2017 I've done 1 game v Sheff Utd this season, basically forced to go to take a old mate living in the West Country now to his first game there.

I'm almost as proud of my NOT going record as I was of my previous going record :D

Upton Carp

Post by Upton Carp » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:45 pm

I have never attended a game at the Bowl since I moved 250 miles away from my S London roots so that does not really give me the right to post an opinion on it. When I lived in Bromley back in the late 60s, the 70s and early 80s I went to many dozens of games at the Boleyn and followed WH away almost as many times. You could, therefore, say that I am a die-hard, traditional supporter of WHUFC. That being the case I will shed no tears if I never go to the Bowl in my remaining lifetime.

HOWEVER, I think I do not do this poll a disservice by voting a resounding NO, I am NOT happy that my beloved team has been moved into this unfit-for-purpose athletics stadium.

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:02 pm

If you had a scale of 0-100 with No being 0 and 100 being Yes, I am probably somewhere around 40

I like where rhe stadium is and the food and drink pptions pre and post match in the surrounding areas, and my seat is a pretty decent view. In the warmer months I enjoy the match going experience (if not the stadium itself)

However, that is out weighed by the fact it isn't a football stadium and so the sight line are not correct and the atmosphere isn't very good
Last edited by Crouchend_Hammer on Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goa127

Post by goa127 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:24 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:02 pm
If you had a scale of 0-100 with No being 0 and 100 being Yes, I am probably somewhere around 40

I like where rhe stadium is and the food and drink pptions pre and post match, and my seat is a pretty decent view. In the warmer months I enjoy the match going experience (if not the stadium itself)

However, that is out weighed by the fact it isn't a football stadium and so the sight line are not correct and the atmosphere isn't very good
I think your opinion is probably typical of regular attendees at the stadium. Of course many thousands have voted with their feet and stayed away completely.
I usually stay for a drink with two old friends after the game and the concourse can be cold if it's windy. Conversley in the ground itself is generally much warmer on a cold day than the Boleyn was (in the seats). there's no doubt many thousands of fans have been effectively disenfranchised, but I suspect those in charge and at premier league HQ are quite happy about that.

Ribbot

Post by Ribbot » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:40 pm

I went once. The pitch was so far away I couldnt make out who was on the ball, thus the viewing experience is by far better on the TV. I wont go again.

LordStanley

Post by LordStanley » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:29 pm

I am not happy with the move to Stratford.

Having said that, I had been attending UP for 34 years so, it was always going to be a wrench for me.

Samba

Post by Samba » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:48 pm

Upton Carp wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:45 pm
I have never attended a game at the Bowl since I moved 250 miles away from my S London roots so that does not really give me the right to post an opinion on it.
EVERYONE has the right to have an opinion. :thup:

Longaz

Post by Longaz » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:09 pm

Location wise it suits me fine, I can be home within 5 minutes. The atmosphere can be a bit sh*t but I think that's our responsibility. But still I have to say NO purely because it's not a football stadium and were all too far away from the pitch.

roastbeefandcustard

[POLL] Are YOU happy at the Olympic/London Stadium?

Post by roastbeefandcustard » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:23 pm

Used to sit in the east stand about level with the penalty spot near BM stand. Loved how loud the BML sang and how our noise echoed off the small roof. I go back home via Euston so would walk to Plaistow after the game and prob black lion on the way home. Not exactly fast or short. But it was what I was used to. You could even hear chav corner and what they were singing, BML / Chav / end of the chicken run would all have banter.

1st 2 seasons at the bowl was upper tier 243 and used to go in and out via strat intl. No good pubs, long queues, no atmosphere, stop go boards. Then a reroute so the walk got longer. Can't go through the car park, can't go in the train station front door. F'in hated it. crap view of the left over seats and sails and scaffolding. Moved down a tier 141 below so sit diagonally behind the corner flag. Atmosphere can be good but difficult. Those around me good fans. Go in out via hackney Wick and overground or drive and it's so quick and easy. Like the hackney Wick area for drinks, especially when it's sunny. I'm only a dozen seats from the front which isn't ideal view wise. But at least it feels like I'm at football. Which is therefore only true of about 60 seats in the whole bowl. There's always that feeling of if I give up my ST that then if some miracle happened and it all changed I wouldn't be able to get it back. So many tourists though and so often just empty seats and a right old swap about.

I am however apathetic now at best and have only bothered with about 7 games often choosing to work instead and like many would rather just do aways.

ironsonthebrain

Post by ironsonthebrain » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:57 am

roastbeefandcustard wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:23 pm

I am however apathetic now at best and have only bothered with about 7 games ..............
My thoughts exactly - am going to the Cup game in a couple of weeks , might be the only one I do this year.
Apathetic too.

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:13 am

apathy here as well. going on Saturday and thinking about the cup game but cant be bothered at the moment. its not because we are rubbish on the pitch it is the off the pitch stuff that has done me. the matchday experience is awful and it is not football anymore. walking towards the ground under the underpass and wastelands of stratford with no local stalls or anything before you hit the search areas. then a stadium store that's it.
inside its cold and not a home game.
said before many times we play in a neutral venue. no wonder the home record is so bad.

watched a couple of matches on stream and to be honest I don't miss the hassle and expense of getting to the ***** bowl.

This is my last season of attending a lot of games although that is dropping off now and apart from west brom I have no plans to go anytime soon.

next season I will not pay £40 members fee for the right to buy a ticket before the 50,000 waiting list snap them up. what utter rubbish. every game there are empty seats by the thousands despite our official attendances being 59500.

I long to have a ground like Chelsea`s close to the pitch with players celebrating in with the fans when they score. ours celebrate about 30m away from us at best.

so my £40 wont be going to sully and co next season and I suspect that STH numbers will be down regardless of relegation. maybe playing in a half empty bowl with fans protest at every game will help get rid of these leeches. its going to have to get worse before it gets better.

I remember attending games at the Boleyn when there was 16k inside and there was more atmosphere then and it was more enjoyable than the crap LS with a so called 60k crowd in.

football is dying across the country but it is declining fastest in stratford.

MAY 2016 WHU RIP

Denbighammer

Post by Denbighammer » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:20 am

Definitely no from me.

I love hundreds of miles away these days. I was always a fairly regular UP attender but I've only been to the Athletics Arena three times.

I have young kids who I'm trying to bring up as West Ham fans but living in the catchment of Manchester & Liverpool, West Ham is a hard sell. I cannot take my kids like my dad & grandad took me to UP. To be honest, I'm embarrassed to take them to the Athletics Arena. Upton Park had connections to my roots, it was scruffy but it had soul & character. Stratford just doesn't.

Porkeyes

Post by Porkeyes » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:37 am

I had a season ticket with my then 14 yr old boy in chav corner. We continued for the first season just in case it was better than I expected but it was absolutely pony. Loads of us in chav corner were assured we would move like for like to be next to the same people but on arrival at the first game we were all over the place. Loads of sitting down newbies inserted amongst us moaning about standing up , then the snatch squads etc. ****ing rubbish, we were lied to.

I can go to virtually any game I want with the amount of spares knocking about every home game but I'd rather watch it in the pub because there's more atmosphere. On the odd time I do venture over there I think it's got worse. So many of the spine of support aren't there and have been replaced by open mouthed tourists swapping Instagram messages and I know for a fact there's loads of other supporters in there for a day out which kills the atmosphere too. We only needed a 40k capacity upgrade (Stopped by the bus station lie) to keep the support trim and passionate. Nowadays I reckon there is 20k in there who couldn't give a toss about West Ham. The "footy" zombies ticking boxes for Karen's Utopia.

No way would I have expected myself and the rest of our support to be rolled over with such ease. The greedy liars could not have wished for a smoother run so far. It needs to change or the embers of West Ham will fade and die.

ornchurch ammer

Post by ornchurch ammer » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:09 am

Porkeyes wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:37 am
I had a season ticket with my then 14 yr old boy in chav corner. We continued for the first season just in case it was better than I expected but it was absolutely pony. Loads of us in chav corner were assured we would move like for like to be next to the same people but on arrival at the first game we were all over the place. Loads of sitting down newbies inserted amongst us moaning about standing up , then the snatch squads etc. ****ing rubbish, we were lied to.
Try loads of people with 30+ years of STs, used to sitting in the BMU, who were told the same lies.

Just because you might not have known them does not make them "Newbies".

Porkeyes

Post by Porkeyes » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:26 am

The ones near me were no way seasoned West Ham fans they didn't look miserable enough. Good to know the 3 pigs managed to piss off another whole section of fans in the same swoop, top deceiving that.

ironstu

Post by ironstu » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:34 am

No. Hate it.

fmgod

Post by fmgod » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:42 am

I've been one game, the first competitive game there, the europa League qualifier against Astra maybe and I swore I never would go again and haven't, it just isn't a football stadium, the surrounding area isn't football, it just isn't home or even a fraction of it.