Are YOU happy at the Olympic/London Stadium?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Pop Robson

Re: [POLL] Are YOU happy at the Olympic/London Stadium?

Post by Pop Robson » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:48 am

I'm happy that I don't go to that God ****ing dismal damp dump anymore

Saved me and the family plenty of money good old GSB the pair of c**** and the drag queen lookalike

hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes

Re: [POLL] Are YOU happy at the Olympic/London Stadium?

Post by hadleighhammer » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:49 pm

Porkeyes wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:37 am
I had a season ticket with my then 14 yr old boy in chav corner. We continued for the first season just in case it was better than I expected but it was absolutely pony. Loads of us in chav corner were assured we would move like for like to be next to the same people but on arrival at the first game we were all over the place.
Where were you put? In the ST meeting they showed us Block 130, then I noticed that was Band 3 rather than Band 4. They then showed us Band 4 which was the upper tier so not like-for-like and they said the banding changed.

The stadium is ****, but at least Block 130 (Curva de Chav) all stand and it is still all the same faces as Chav Corner.

@TFSH_WHUFC

Re: Are YOU happy at the Olympic/London Stadium?

Post by @TFSH_WHUFC » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:25 pm

NO

Band 2 STH and I hate the stadium :thdn: , especially as I do aways and get watch football in proper football grounds.

Location is not bad, just souless and clinical...........so far removed from what football is and should be.

KNOCK IT DOWN AND BUILD A FOOTBALL STADIUM............we don't need fancy just close to pitch and atmospheric.

Denzil

Post by Denzil » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:46 pm

No. I've sat in many areas of the ground and now have a ST in block 232. I've not liked it anywhere, no atmosphere, cr*p view, scaffolding all over the place, huge gaps between tiers and empty seats everywhere.

I don't enjoy the match day experience at all. I like the location, the train connections and will even put up with the security fence and stop/start signs but it's a soul-less bowl of nothingness. The problem is we moved from a proper football stadium, a stadium opposing fans would enjoy and often talk about what a great ground it was, to this place that was done to line the pockets of the owners.

Won't be renewing, will just pick and choose 4 or 5 games a season to attend.

South_Bank

Post by South_Bank » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:08 pm

Originally got a seat stuck in 204 in the gods, but with a kid it didnt bother me too much but i had different "non WHU" person next to us every week. Big groups of tourists. People that didnt even stand to sing or know the words to bubbles. Moved at last this year to 140 row 8 and its much better as Im surrounded by traditional support, although im not sure where this magic roof is as i get soaked when it rains. The positives of the move should be attendance, shame many are not even fans, The food drink and toilets are much better. Its cleaner, and more kid friendly so has some positives. Negatives could take all day, atmosphere, tourists, the walk, the stop go, the vastness of the whole place is what causes the lack of atmosphere and it doesn't feel like West Ham Utd. I suppose it's West Ham London PLC now. There is no excitement or energy getting to the ground, It could be the olympics again as opposed to a football game on matchdays. If i could go back home tomorrow i would.

East_London_Hammer

Post by East_London_Hammer » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:12 pm

Seasonticket holder in the BML, my view is ok and i sit with all the people i sat with at Upton Park, the journey is ok but they are the only positives. I hate the souless bowl. So pretty much the same as most on here.

I dont care if the food is nice and the toilets are better i want to enjoy a football game in a football stadium with a proper football atmosphere. I will never forgive G&S

jphammer341

Post by jphammer341 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:19 pm

In short no. There are some positives as already mentioned eg. its cleaner, newer and has more toilets which is the bare minimum expected.

But the main thing missing is harder to quantify and explain (especially to GSB) is it is missing soul. The buzz of walking to the ground of literally not knowing what west ham will turn up even though results and standard of football are largely the same. The stadium view for me is all right from my season tickets - row 29 near the half way line but we are obviously paying a hefty premium for the privilege.

There is just a lack of emotion about the situation - the highs are lower and lows are moving towards the middle.

The promises of a world class team and champions league football was always stupid because they didnthave a clue how to attain any fo that and you can not guarantee success on the pitch in any sport.

The most disappointing thing is the experience on a matchday its so ho hum - it doesnt feel like youre going to an event that you should be excited about.

Good results mask some of the problem but we do not have the infrastructure for sustained success at this place or any other - it was acceptable to be average at Upton Park but not here. The extra revenue (only something like 5 to 8 million) could have been used to invest in some first team facilities etc or to reduce ticket prices.

Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:48 pm

Loved going to the Boleyn whenever I could get a ticket (usually standing up in ES1), but I loathe everything about Stratford - haven't been since the Accrington game, and not going again until the 3 stooges have gone and we're in a football stadium, so sadly probably not again in my life time

JCA

Post by JCA » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:06 pm

Been going since 63-64 season and had ST's more years than not (several overseas work postings.) Can really sum the experience up in a word......sterile.
Having said this, if you can accept what modern day PL / SKY football has become and how it's permeated all aspects of the experience, then what we get is how it is and will thus be.
The spectators / fans ( "customers") in the stadium are the last consideration. We are there to provide the equivalent of canned laughter of a TV comedy for the global audience.
I don't buy in totally to the West Ham London "product" that GSB deliver, but for the moment I'm sticking with it.
Last edited by JCA on Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mc_unit

Post by mc_unit » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:22 pm

Everything about the stadium I loathe, though like many I continue to renew my season ticket.

Having moved twice over the space of 3 years, nothing has changed for me and I continue to feel dejected every home match I attend.
The word “soulless” used by so many sums up the current ground.
Over the years I have seen so many posts, statements, messages similar to “I wont be attending again, my friends are all giving up there season tickets”, “from a group of 20 of us there are only 2 left”. Whilst I am not denying any of these, there still appears to be sizeable crowds for most games.
We as fans continue to be part of the problem. However I like going to watch my team on a Saturday, its been part of my life since I was 11 years old.
It really is a sad state of affairs from the walk to the ground, the match day experience and the train home.

I never thought I would get to the stage, were on a weekly basis I am leaving to get an earlier train.

Right now I am at an all time low towards my love for West Ham. Would a couple of results change that? Would staying clear of relegation change that? I am not so sure anymore.

Is this really a problem about modern day football? I didn’t feel this way away at Tottenham, Chelsea. Even Arsenal’s Emirates is a serious upgrade of atmosphere and experience than the **** we put up with.

chigwells finest
Location: desperately seeking redemption from this west ham misery

Post by chigwells finest » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:45 pm

i like the easy commute on the central line . block 136 20 odd rows from the front , its ok , just ok . its rocked occasionally when we've witnessed some delireum , but overall its flat every week .

Hatcham Iron

Post by Hatcham Iron » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:00 pm

Ashamed to say have never been there. The boleyn was West Ham to me and was irreplaceable win or lose it was unique and had everything I wanted from a football ground nothing compares. I bleed claret and blue always will and will always follow them. At least I can savor my memories of The Boleyn and the hammers real home. :crest:

Hammersfaniow

Post by Hammersfaniow » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:03 pm

Most pointless poll ever, with the most predictable result

We’re not happy, we were sold down the river, we were told a load of lies, it’s not a football stadium, the owners are ****s

Kialos

Post by Kialos » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:40 pm

Don't mind my seat or view. I am in block 136 on the halfway line in the 1966 seats but it's the top priced ordinary ST band so it's nothing more than what I am paying for. The "comparable" band 1 seat I was offered was close to the 18 yard line.

More toilets is good although there are no ladies in my particular block but it is not far to walk to one.

Loads of choice for catering for those who don't mind paying £10 for burger and chips, I do so very rarely buy.

Atmosphere is generally poor, although when it does get going it is as loud as UP. It just happens so rarely.

Fed up with away fans in the home ends, fed up being surrounded by neutral day trippers

Fed up with the crap having to queue up at security and generally feel like an unwelcome criminal

Fed up with the drudge back to Stratford through the wastelands of QE park or Carpenters estate, especially in the winter

I'm seriously considering packing it in. I gave up my cricket membership several years back, I bought one for this coming season and I can see me concentrating on that and effing football off all together, certainly until the scum have gone

goa127

Post by goa127 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:51 pm

Kialos wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:40 pm
Don't mind my seat or view. I am in block 136 on the halfway line in the 1966 seats but it's the top priced ordinary ST band so it's nothing more than what I am paying for. The "comparable" band 1 seat I was offered was close to the 18 yard line.

More toilets is good although there are no ladies in my particular block but it is not far to walk to one.

Loads of choice for catering for those who don't mind paying £10 for burger and chips, I do so very rarely buy.

Atmosphere is generally poor, although when it does get going it is as loud as UP. It just happens so rarely.

Fed up with away fans in the home ends, fed up being surrounded by neutral day trippers

Fed up with the crap having to queue up at security and generally feel like an unwelcome criminal

Fed up with the drudge back to Stratford through the wastelands of QE park or Carpenters estate, especially in the winter

I'm seriously considering packing it in. I gave up my cricket membership several years back, I bought one for this coming season and I can see me concentrating on that and effing football off all together, certainly until the scum have gone
I think you must sit close to my mate who also complains about tourists. He's one of those rare people a bondholder. I'm up in 235 and generally we have very few randoms, mainly same faces. The aforementioned friend was a ST at UP and his complaint was that the atmosphere had deteriated very badly in the last 5 years there. I think we all miss the atmosphere of the 70s Upton Park!

Kialos

Post by Kialos » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:54 pm

Yes, the atmosphere at UP had definitely deteriorated but it took less to get everyone going. The vast bowl with the committed spread all over the place makes it difficult to generate much

Big George

Post by Big George » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:13 pm

When we played Spurs at Wembley, the difference between a stadium built for summer sport and one built for winter sport really stood out. Not having the wind whistling round you ears was a def plus compared to biting cold at our place.

Cambs Iron

Post by Cambs Iron » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:15 pm

Never had season tickets there and never will.

My son loves going (8yrs old) so take him now and again, if it wasn't for him i wouldn't go.

61dicksey

Post by 61dicksey » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:33 pm

Should have had a consultation with the Russian. firm that converted the Luzhniki stadium in Moscow , a fantastic stadium that was converted from athletics to a football stadium .

Hugh Jargon II

Post by Hugh Jargon II » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:37 pm

I don't hate it. I just hate the players and everyone else in it. On the plus side. Unlike Upton Park.. .console yourselves you are not breathing in asbestos fibres. Pardon?