Are YOU happy at the Olympic/London Stadium?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Westbourne Bill

Re: Are YOU happy at the Olympic/London Stadium?

Post by Westbourne Bill » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:33 pm

This will be the first season since 64-65 I’ve not been to a home game. For me the top and bottom is the distance from the pitch. On occasions I actually did take small binoculars so I could make out substitutes warming out.
It’s the main reason I gave up my ST.

I actually don’t mind the location beyond the stop/start fiasco. The food/drink options in Westfield or Hackney are fine and for night games I never felt particularly safe walking back to Canning Town post-match.

Clearly, acceptance of the new stadium might have been more universally palatable if the quality on the pitch had improved.

joeyboy

Post by joeyboy » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:59 pm

I've really tried to like it. I wanted to. Unfortunately, I can't find any redeeming qualities.
1. The experience of walking to the ground is so vapid, so anodyne. The buzz of Green Street has been replaced with the consumerist nightmare of Westfield and the bleak, grey vistas of the Olympic Park.
2. I sit behind the goal and I feel miles away. What must it be like elsewhere? Crossing the caverns from the concourse to my seat, looking at the scaffolding I sit on, is a constant reminder of the lies we were told. These owners treat us like idiots. Perhaps it's what we deserve for believing them. World class is substandard. Orwellian Doublethink.
3. The migration move has killed any chance of an atmosphere. 60,000 people can't stop it feeling like a ghost town. It's eery, bar the Lanzini winner here or the odd 'Up your arse' there.
4. I'll renew because I still love hanging out with mates and supporting my team. However, I completely understand why others have given up. I think I'd feel bereft. That's what these owners have done to us.

James P

Post by James P » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:46 pm

Father and son contestants on Pointless tonight both saying how much they dislike the stadium. Getting the subject onto prime time telly one way or another.

sicknote
Plumbing the depths

Post by sicknote » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:44 pm

James P wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:46 pm
Father and son contestants on Pointless tonight both saying how much they dislike the stadium. Getting the subject onto prime time telly one way or another.
The brains of the show pointless , the one sitting down, is a Fulham season ticket holder at craven cottage

The same Fulham at craven cottage , the club took an original select committee of West Ham fans to an away game of ours at the cottage, the one the sailing boat capsized in the river, to show the fans Karrens Idea of how she and the club would like the OS to be like , the happy clappy neutral ground of London at the time

The abuse that idea got on here and wider coverage was full on

Look where we are now

Georgee Paris

Post by Georgee Paris » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:51 pm

In a world of beautiful yachts and mega boats. We are a peddlo. With a broken peddle and leaking base and crumby rudder.

Ozza

Post by Ozza » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:54 pm

SN were not West Ham anymore, not even a pale representation

sicknote
Plumbing the depths

Post by sicknote » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:54 pm

Or rudderless and going round in circles

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:07 pm

Yes I am, generally. Of course, like many, I would prefer it to be a bit more intimate but personally my seats are great, travelling better, facilties better etc. I may be in the minority but by the end I detested the Boleyn. The stadium and surrounding area were a shadow of its former self and the atmosphere was, on many occasions, dreadful. Personally, I long for the old north and south bank, turnstiles, peanut sellers, and a surrounding area that reflected those both inside and outside the stadium. I sympathise with those who find it harder than I, but there are cars I've has I miss more than the Boleyn.

Mega Ron

Post by Mega Ron » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:10 pm

You must have had some stonking cars. Or at least some very good times in them.

Graza

Post by Graza » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:30 pm

iLoveLasagne wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:22 pm
Cynic in me thinks they probably screen callers or have them carefully selected or even pre-arranged. The average listener to the likes of Talksport aren't the most eloquent and just get outshouted by the presenters anyway.
I suspect they mostly pick the nutters, people who are half cut and want to talk about the overcooked balti pie that they once had rather than the real issues. They are providers of entertainment not serious reporters.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:32 pm

Mega Ron wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:10 pm
You must have had some stonking cars. Or at least some very good times in them.
Ha ha, yes both Mega (but Im talking old Cortina's and Capri's with young ladies at the Ilford Palais).

goa127

Post by goa127 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:43 pm

Diogenes wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:07 pm
Yes I am, generally. Of course, like many, I would prefer it to be a bit more intimate but personally my seats are great, travelling better, facilties better etc. I may be in the minority but by the end I detested the Boleyn. The stadium and surrounding area were a shadow of its former self and the atmosphere was, on many occasions, dreadful. Personally, I long for the old north and south bank, turnstiles, peanut sellers, and a surrounding area that reflected those both inside and outside the stadium. I sympathise with those who find it harder than I, but there are cars I've has I miss more than the Boleyn.
you're not neccesarily in a minority of those who go but many thousands have turned their backs completely because they hate it. Fwiw I'm pretty much in agreement with your sentiments, although I would say more indifferent than detested re Boleyn. The heyday for me was the mid seventies but then that's probably a metaphor for my life! :)

reo_coker20
One line wonder

Post by reo_coker20 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:03 pm

First time I saw it was our first home game I was impressed from the outside although said it needs more claret and blue then I stepped inside it and instantly disliked it and knew it would never work