Leicester City 4-1 West Ham Utd (22/01/20)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

My_Sobriquet
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 92 likes

Re: Leicester City v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by My_Sobriquet »

What confuses me above and beyond all else is the following.

This place is full of opinions, we rarely agree on much. Some people think Moyes is a good manager, some think he should is crap. Some on here think we should play 3 at the back, some 4 at the back. Some think Allen would be a good signing, some think he would be a disaster.

The two things we were all pretty much in agreement on though are:

1, we need a powerful central midfielder with pace

2, we need full backs who are positionally sound and who can offer us a consistent attacking threat going forward.

These are two points we have pretty much all been in agreement on for months and months. Yet our owners, a DoF and two different managers have failed to address it.

It really is beyond a joke!

Fair play to GSB though, by selling all our other players but spending £160m gross (f*** all net) they have fooled the mainstream media into thinking they have invested in the club and our dire position is nothing to do with them.

Abhorrent.
Smonnie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Smonnie »

Ironing Board wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:56 pm So you would risk one of our key players in a game where we had very little chance of getting anything anyway.

If Antonio f***ed his hamstring and was out for the rest of the season I am sure you would have applauded the manager for his derring do!
Quite. Almost like DM can do no right with some people.
Last edited by Smonnie on Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Smonnie wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:58 pm
Quite. Almost like DM can't win.
Poor managers tend not to..
OohAahButler
Has liked: 561 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

For all that we were dreadful in the first half, and we were utterly, utterly dreadful, we were going in at half time only a goal behind and with a chance to regroup until Arthur went MIA. Again.

I know that he can (occasionally) show some skill or beat his man (before inevitably losing it to the next man) but he’s done this too many times for me.
Smonnie

Post by Smonnie »

S-H wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:00 pm Poor managers tend not to..
Damn, thought I'd caught it just in time to avoid the lazy joke!
thewhirlwind
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by thewhirlwind »

Jermaine Jenus spot on... The game now is about pressing, pace athletisism etc
With that in mind we have an over the hill right back a centre midfielder who never gets above a jog and Lanzini who would struggle to get in our ladies team.
I wouldnt want to be Moyes with the players he has available right now hes on a hiding to nothing!
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

I’m normally the glass half full type of West Ham fan but that tonight had relegation written all over it.

The problem is there’s no chink of light. Apart from Antonio there’s no one coming back and we ain’t gonna bring any one in worth a ****.

I’ve always defended Masuaku but after that second goal tonight he’d never play for me again. Worse than Sunday league.
Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 518 likes
Total likes: 219 likes

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch »

S-H wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:30 pm Not starting Fornals or Antonio.

This one is on you Moyes.
Can sort of understand not risking Antonio from the start due to just coming back from injury.
But Lanzini over Fornals is bizarre.
What’s he seeing in Lanzini currently, he’s been dreadful for a few games now.
brothernero
Has liked: 702 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

OohAahButler wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:02 pm For all that we were dreadful in the first half, and we were utterly, utterly dreadful, we were going in at half time only a goal behind and with a chance to regroup until Arthur went MIA. Again.

I know that he can (occasionally) show some skill or beat his man (before inevitably losing it to the next man) but he’s done this too many times for me.
We were 2-0 down at half time.
Original HiC
Has liked: 4 likes

Post by Original HiC »

We are in serious trouble on so many levels.

Inadequate, aging squad.
No incoming players.
No ability to create chances.
No ability to convert chances.
Abysmal 'entertainment value' in terms of performances.
Disliked, disingenuous, dodgy owners.
Club identity being eroded at an alarming rate.
No long-term plan (beyond financial gain for the board).
Short-term managerial stop-gap appointment.
A stadium we all detest that is unfit for football at any level.

Take any other club in the top two divisions and there is not a single one who could tick all those boxes. Some have problems, none have this worrying array of serious issues.

The new protest movement has to act fast to stop us becoming critically broken as a club.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

My_Sobriquet wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:58 pm The two things we were all pretty much in agreement on though are:

1, we need a powerful central midfielder with pace

2, we need full backs who are positionally sound and who can offer us a consistent attacking threat going forward.

These are two points we have pretty much all been in agreement on for months and months. Yet our owners, a DoF and two different managers have failed to address it.

It really is beyond a joke!
It's impressive really isn't it. Even Lawro thinks we need reinforcements...Lawro ffs!

In a way I kinda wish Moyes had done a Ray Patterson...

As for tonight's **** show...

We played a Moyes style of football 1st half and lost it 2-0, we played a more Pellergrini style in the 2nd half and if not for the softest penalty on the planet, it'd have also been a 2-0 defeat. We simply aren't good enough to play defensively or adventurously, which is also impressive, that it some recruitment policy we've got.
keithwright1977

Post by keithwright1977 »

Just like to say that if the owners watched that inept performance tonight and still believe that we will avoid relegation then you need to take a long hard look at yourselves because ultimately you are responsible for the way our club is being run, you are responsible for the manager, the players, the stadium and every other disastrous decisions that have been made under your tenure. You have been here for 10 years and if you don’t know what your doing after that length of time then you will never know what your doing. So fxxx off, stop telling us how much you love West Ham and that your one of us because you will never be one of us or be accepted
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 298 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

Hammer in Hornchurch wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:09 pm Can sort of understand not risking Antonio from the start due to just coming back from injury.
But Lanzini over Fornals is bizarre.
What’s he seeing in Lanzini currently, he’s been dreadful for a few games now.
Even more bizaare is that Fornals is much better than Snodgrass in that role, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him play better than Noble in Noble's role. Leaving Fornals out for 1 player he's better than is bad, leaving him out for 3 players he's better than is just madness.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

This was a winnable game, what's he saving Antonio for, Liverpool?

Setting up not to lose, hoping to nick a draw will not get you out of trouble.
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 498 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

On route home...apart from 20 second half minutes we was truly awful.

We look completely lost out there and don't have the physical attributes to complete at this level. We are so far off. I can't see us staying up.
gouldie

Post by gouldie »

Oh well at least we can look forward to Millwall, Charlton and q.p.r next season
OohAahButler
Has liked: 561 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

brothernero wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:09 pm We were 2-0 down at half time.
That was my point! We were 1-0 down with seconds to go until half time when Arthur has his brain fart and we go in at 2-0 instead.
WTID
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by WTID »

Haller can’t play up top on his own. I’m finding it very difficult to even put him in the squad at the moment let alone starting 11. He can’t even hold up a paper bag, so light weight and gives a foul away every time. As for Lanzini doing a disappearing act whole game. I’d like to see Ajeti and Antonio given a run up top. Watching Zabaleta getting roasted all game was a sight to see. We’re going down no two ways about it. We need a miracle now.
My_Sobriquet
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 92 likes

Post by My_Sobriquet »

Masuaku is in no way shape or form a defender. I’d keep him to bring on as a left winger at times but he isn’t a defender in a million years.

He literally has no concept of defensive positioning at all, he reminds me of a Labrador, gets the ball and sometimes bumbles along with it admirably due to his natural physical attributes but just like a Labrador - unless he sees the ball and chases it he has no hope at all.

Positioning, reading of the game, defensive shape... all just myths to young Arthur.

I bet Moyes stands there in team briefings with his white board and his coloured counters, drawing on his lines and with and without the ball instructions and Arthur just stares into space with the crazy frog tune playing on a loop in his head.

“You got all that Arthur”

“Yes boss!” Riiiing diiiiiingy diiing baaaarrrrp baaarrrp.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

S-H wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:13 pm This was a winnable game, what's he saving Antonio for, Liverpool?

Setting up not to lose, hoping to nick a draw will not get you out of trouble.
Yep
We are not going to stay up defending a point
That may have worked up 15 years ago, but it won't now

Did Burnley decide that Leicester and Man U were unwinnable games? No, of course not. Now they are half way up the league
Did Southampton think a point was a decent result away to Leicester? No, they went and won 2-1

Moyes went looking for a point in the Sheff U, Everton and Leicester games. He managed to achieve that anyway!

I expect he will settle for a point at home to Brighton as well