Leicester City 4-1 West Ham Utd (22/01/20)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Beige Belgian
Total likes: 2 likes

Re: Leicester City v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Beige Belgian »

Need a Redknapp type gamble, go for one of these Championship players in form, Bowen or Eze or whoever else. Needs some spark somewhere, in form attacking player may provide it.
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

My_Sobriquet wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:17 pm
I bet Moyes stands there in team briefings with his white board and his coloured counters, drawing on his lines and with and without the ball instructions and Arthur just stares into space with the crazy frog tune playing on a loop in his head.

“You got all that Arthur”

“Yes boss!” Riiiing diiiiiingy diiing baaaarrrrp baaarrrp.
:lol: hilarious ! :lol:
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:17 pm Yep
We are not going to stay up defending a point
That may have worked up 15 years ago, but it won't now

Did Burnley decide that Leicester and Man U were unwinnable games? No, of course not. Now they are half way up the league
Did Southampton think a point was a decent result away to Leicester? No, they went and won 2-1

Moyes went looking for a point in the Sheff U, Everton and Leicester games. He managed to achieve that anyway!

I expect he will settle for a point at home to Brighton as well
And he had the cheek to say "I win" at his first press conference. :thdn:
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Its boring saying the same thing after most west ham games but .... WE CANT COMPETE. 2nd to every 2nd ball, zero athleticisim all around the park but its been like that for many seasons but managed to get away with it. The sad thing is we are actually trying as a team but its just not enough to win games.
We are so bad I was thinking if we do get beaten lets protect the goal difference as that's essentially a point. We couldn't even do that. Step up liverpool. :fsake:
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Garbage tonight

Seeing Noble not even acknowledge the fans after the whistle was disappointing after the majority of the team managed to make the effort.

Dec looks like a man who is off this summer, as does Nobes, who is done at this level and has been for some time.
brothernero
Has liked: 700 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

Bloody hell Crouchie. If I agree with you anymore tonight I am going to place myself on ignore. :wink:

But joking aside you are spot on. Football has moved on, managers such as Allardyce and Moyes have not.

Some might not like the question, but it is very valid. Why has Moyes hot got a gig since Sunderland other than twice with us.

R5L claimed he had interviews for 5 different Championship jobs, one League 1 and 3 Premier League. Why did they all say no to him and why did we say yes.

Well we all know we said yes because he was out of work and therefore cheap and very much a yes man which suits Sullivan down to a tee.
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Southampton went there playing 5 at the back and made it work because they have this mythical, rare thing we seem to not have. PACE.
We also have a very lazy team. That performance was inept and if people think Brighton at home is a banker, then you haven't been paying attention. Brighton have tons of energy, we look like we are running on fumes from 25mins onward.
Seems our game plan under Moyes is to not try to win any games against teams in the top 6 which I can deal with for now but if we set up with 5 at the back against Brighton I will go mental.

Very likely going down, we have played against every side now this season and I can honestly say we deserve to be in the bottom 3 come the end, at least the teams in and around us put in tons of energy and press with athleticism.
traxop

Post by traxop »

I hope this is all part of Moyes' master plan and he's playing 4D chess to try to get the Board to dip into the transfer window, because that's one of the most clueless performances I've seen.

Why were we even trying to sit that deep when a) we're playing against a team that likes to run channels behind the backline and it was only a matter of time before they got behind us b) without any pace, we didn't pose a counter-attacking threat even if we were to regain the ball deep in our half. We did nothing in the first half except hoof the ball back to Liecester to start another attack. We had less than 30% possession in the first half.

Say what you will about Pellerigini, but at least he understood the limitations of the team. He understood 3 key points about this West Ham team. He knew we shouldn't sit back because we're lacking in the middle(unless it's against the likes of City), but at the same time he knew we didn't really have the pace to counter-attack and thirdly, we weren't suited to high pressing because our core is old(it just is). That's why he sought to control the game with possession, it was the best strategy we had but reliant on individual quality, and because of that it was hit and miss compounded by the fact the team has far too many mistakes in them to be successful model this season.
Last edited by traxop on Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

gouldie wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:14 pm Oh well at least we can look forward to Millwall, Charlton and q.p.r next season
I wouldn't look forward to any of those fixtures to be honest. I don't want to get relegated, I don't see it as any sort of kharma for owners, I am desperate for us to stay up. However, that shitshow tonight makes me think that not only are we going down but we won't be coming back anytime soon.
A truly shocking performance.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

gouldie wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:14 pm Oh well at least we can look forward to Millwall, Charlton and q.p.r next season
I wouldn't look forward to any of those fixtures to be honest. I don't want to get relegated, I don't see it as any sort of kharma for owners, I am desperate for us to stay up. However, that shitshow tonight makes me think that not only are we going down but we won't be coming back anytime soon.
A truly shocking performance.
MorthwylMawr
Has liked: 379 likes
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by MorthwylMawr »

Dismal :thdn:
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

OohAahButler wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:16 pm That was my point! We were 1-0 down with seconds to go until half time when Arthur has his brain fart and we go in at 2-0 instead.
Not sure about this

The ball is over on our right flank and Arthur, as the wing back, has pushed inside to cover.
The defence then inexplicaby stand still to allow Chilwell to run on to the loose below - what was that all about?

Arthur then stays with Tielemans who would otherwise be free on the edge of the box. Noble and Rice are standing on each others toes not really following anyone - no one is really picking Perez

There is no way Arthur can get across to Periera in the time CHilwell gets it and then is allowed by Zabaleta and Rice to pass it across the goal, completely unchallenged. They even allow him to get it on his right foot and step aside to allow CHilwell to make the pass between them. They should have been right on him

What should actually happen once Chilwell is on the ball is Cresswell should step out towards Periera, as Ogbonna can mark Perez who is the only player in the centre of the box

It is absolutely shambolic defending all round, but in no way is Masuaku the most culpable. Allowing Chilwell to make that pass so easily unchallenged was the main problem IMHO - watch the video at exactly one minute and you will see that Chilwell had it far to easy

Last edited by Crouchend_Hammer on Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Italian Hammer
Total likes: 282 likes

Post by Italian Hammer »

Fair play to Zabaleta, Antonio and Randolph, but Moyes has to take some blame for the way we setup in the first half.

My fear is that he is trying the exact same formula that kept us up last time, namely by playing 3 at the back with two recognized centre backs and Cresswell, who after the change in formation second half, was infuriating as every time he got forward, he stopped and played it back. Rinse repeat.

Lanzini is shot and so lacking in confidence he shouldn't be anywhere near the first team. Moyes persistence in playing him over Fornals is very very worrying.

Noble, one good game in 5 and zero leadership on the pitch.

Moyes needs to wake up and start trying to win games rather than playing for the draw. One point here or there won't keep us up.

Sullivan. Sitting in the stands with a gormless expression. How the f@#k can this guy not see, from looking at the league table, our upcoming fixtures and the spanking we got tonight that we need quality players brought in in at least 3 or 4 positions to cover the deficiencies and mounting injuries?

Villa did it, other teams have done it. We are slipping backwards while others progress. Why?

If the owners cannot bring in new players given how threadbare our squad is, why the f@#k did we let Holland, Coventry and others go out on loan?

If West Ham London go down, so be it as I will keep supporting West Ham United in the hope that GSB sell up and lose the millions they were not willing to invest.

The owners have 9 days to sort it out.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

LincolnshireHammer wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:26 pm
Dec looks like a man who is off this summer, as does Nobes, who is done at this level and has been for some time.
Noble will be at his level next season.
Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Humbug »

Trash by us today- relegation almost definite when you have so many slow players . Lanzini terrible again and I really don't want to see him in a West Ham shirt again.
spod
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 278 likes

Post by spod »

I've skipped a few pages because watching the match was painful enough without reading through the reflected agony while the forum's on treacle mode, so forgive me if this has been said before, but...
I've seen West Ham lose many, many times, and I've seen them relegated a lot too. But if our only strategy to beat the drop is to play for corners and free kicks, I'm not going to watch any more.
Wake me up in August, and if we didn't get relegated, it will be a nice surprise.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

LincolnshireHammer wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:25 pm Garbage tonight

Seeing Noble not even acknowledge the fans after the whistle was disappointing after the majority of the team managed to make the effort.

He was probably upset the fans sung a few songs about the owners...

For the good of his development and career Rice needs to move on. Who can blame him? He's just stagnating with the rest of them.
keithwright1977

Post by keithwright1977 »

Antonio is our best player, yes Antonio, a player who gives everything he has but lacks vital qualities to be a top premier league player, his finishing is often wayward as is his passing. He’s a player that would struggle to get in most premier league teams yet he is our best player. Sign of the times
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 298 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:30 pm Not sure about this

The ball is over on our right flank and Arthur, as the wing back, has pushed inside to cover.
The defence then inexplicaby stand still to allow Chilwell to run on to the loose below - what was that all about?

Arthur then stays with Tielemans who would otherwise be free on the edge of the box. Noble and Rice are standing on each others toes not really following anyone - no one is really picking Perez

There is no way Arthur can get across to Periera in the time CHilwell gets it and then is allowed by Zabaleta and Rice to pass it across the goal, completely unchallenged. They even allow him to get it on his right foot and step aside to allow CHilwell to make the pass between them. They should have been right on him

What should actually happen once Chilwell is on the ball is Cresswell should step out towards Periera, as Ogbonna can mark Perez who is the only player in the centre of the box

It is absolutely shambolic defending all round, but in no way is Masuaku the most culpable. Allowing Chilwell to make that pass so easily unchallenged was the main problem IMHO - watch the video at exactly one minute and you will see that Chilwell had it far to easy

I agree, Masuaku appears to be in the correct position, I think that Cresswell is supposed to slide outside when the field is switched, probably why he was just standing in his keeper's way not guarding anyone when the shot was taken.

The whole thing was a collapse that happened because our midfield and RB got torched, but Masuaku picks up the biggest threat in the middle and leaves the FB overlapping to be picked up by Cresswell. Ball moved so easily across that Cresswell was well out of position, but that isn't Masuaku's fault
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

Never been so unmoved at a defeat. I had zero confidence before the game. I'm almost beyond caring.

I know I'm not alone. Gold and Sullivan have destroyed us.