How much do you care about relegation?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

e17

Re: How much do you care about relegation?

Post by e17 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:04 pm

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:43 pm
I see relegation as an absolute failure brought on by the absolute pathetic ownership we have. I won’t be going to that Stadium in the Championship. The Boleyn? Sure I would have, but we moved to that stadium for better times didn’t we? **** the owners and the stadium. If we go down, I won’t be back until they leave. I would happily come back even in League One as long as they aren’t there.
Now this is the one area I completely DON’T agree on

Having a whole row of seats to ourselves? Literally laying across 3 seats and waiting for some half-assed jobsworth in yellow to come along and tell us not to, while looking at all the empty spaces that G&S have created?

I think that would genuinely be funny. It’s a **** day out, but at least that would make it a **** & funny day out

I’d rather we didn’t go down, as I loathe the championship and it’s endless schedule, but I’d find their absolute panic in revenue loss very funny.

Jimmy Ruffell

Post by Jimmy Ruffell » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:05 pm

It’s a 1 for me - I’ve seen a few relegations
And nothing worse than in 1978 as a teenager
When it was a 5 for sure
Championship - I will still go - pick and choose games
One massive plus No VAR
And also I won’t miss the Prem TV coverage fawning all over Liverpool, Man City and and the like
Will give MOTD a year sabbatical
Will not watch Carragher, shearer, Wright, lineker, Neville and Savage tonight was a disgrace slagging Rice off constantly
Also squad wise we get rid off the injury prone & old uns, also Haller, Diop, Anderson (who I do rate)
Lanzini , and we have decent youngsters to form the base of a decent Championship team - Diagana, Cullen,
Holland, Coventry , Cardozo etc
There are actually a few positives -

r99c

Post by r99c » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:06 pm

Would be alright if we were guaranteed to never be relegated from the Championship as that division is pretty much as good as Premier League. More games, no VAR [for now]. However, with the possibility of relegation to League 1, the doldrums, I wouldn't really want to see us relegated.

Believer

Post by Believer » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:08 pm

e17 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:04 pm

I’d rather we didn’t go down, as I loathe the championship and it’s endless schedule, but I’d find their absolute panic in revenue loss very funny.
They will not lose money. They get about £78m parachute money and will rake in well over £100m on Rice, Diop, Fornals and Anderson. Add in the reduced rent at the stadium. They will actually profit from relegation hence why we have Moyes and are spending nish !

DaveWHU1964

Post by DaveWHU1964 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:09 pm

kenthammer1984 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:55 pm
If we go down then there is zero chance of DS and DG selling up.

They will want to get us back up to protect their asset. Absolutely zero chance they sell if we drop down.
Do you assume the Daves think we’ll come back up quickly? This particular Dave doesn’t.

Last time around I’m sure I saw Interviews from Sullivan saying they gave it their all in our first season down - Allardyce, Nolan, etc but had we stayed down that years they’d have had to downsize for want if a better word. It’s a far more competitive league than it was eight years ago. I think they’ll feel the pain. A constant 0 that could go to minus 1 fairly easily.

Georgee Paris

Post by Georgee Paris » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:10 pm

I remember getting tearful one time we were relegated. A friend had recently died and I’d split up with a long term girlfriend and getting relegated was the icing on the cake. This time I feel really disconnected- annoyed/disappointed but not really surprised. Many posters on here have been saying transfer window after transfer window that we were only papering over cracks and were only ever a few injuries away from real trouble. Oh well.

Kitt the car

Post by Kitt the car » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:11 pm

Personally think that if we went down and didn't come up the first time then Gold/Sully would look to sell up as their "business plan" probably wouldn't survive more than a year out of the premiership.

Remember last time we went down? They threw everything at us coming straight back up, including purchasing some of the leagues better Strikers in January (Vaz Te, Maynard) ensure it happened. "Back where we belong" was the slogan come Play off final.

Wouldn't mind us going down at all but that may be a reflection on just how much I've lost a connection with the club over the last couple of years.

Ribbot

Post by Ribbot » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:12 pm

watching us win games in the championship is far more entertaining than watching us lose games in the EPL.

Relegation does bring the current regimes stewardship closer to the end.

Relegation highlights the absurdity of WHU being in the OS.

Relegation allows us to rebuild the squad, form a long term plan and actually give the current manager a realistically achievable goal.

Bring it on.

il_martello_di_genovesi

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:16 pm

Ribbot wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:12 pm

Relegation allows us to rebuild the squad, form a long term plan and actually give the current manager a realistically achievable goal.
Ah, the old relegation rebuild stuff. Heard that the last time we were relegated. We needed to get rid of all the overpaid players who don’t care, go back to the West Ham Way with a clean slate come back up and achieve more than what we had done before...and yet here we are. 8 years later...de ja ****ing vu.

Billydinho

Post by Billydinho » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:16 pm

0-1.

Think it’s actually the only thing that will save the club.

Kialos

Post by Kialos » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:22 pm

I feel the same way as il_martello_di_genovesi

I am so close to just walking away now even if we don't go down. Just fed up with the lies, fed up with the dishonesty, fed up with seeing two vile vulgar old men ruining our club through their egotistical greed.

The scum in the boardroom deserve a 60000 seat athletics stadium with 6000 people in it. I'm glad I saw West Ham when they were West Ham for the last time on 10th May 2016.

iLoveLasagne

Post by iLoveLasagne » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:24 pm

Minus 1. If away tickets became more easily available I would go to minus 2.

brothernero

Post by brothernero » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:24 pm

e17 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:43 pm

I’m 0 about everything football at the moment though to be honest
Almost the same.

ZERO!

The Championship is fun and you don't have to put up with media bias or VAR.

e17

Post by e17 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:26 pm

Believer wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:08 pm
They will not lose money. They get about £78m parachute money and will rake in well over £100m on Rice, Diop, Fornals and Anderson. Add in the reduced rent at the stadium. They will actually profit from relegation hence why we have Moyes and are spending nish !
You’re assuming we’d do the old yo-yo though I’m guessing

I don’t think we’d come up for a while in that place with that sized pitch playing against absolute cloggers where we’d be their cup final

I think we’d do a Leeds

Hammer in Hornchurch

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:27 pm

0 and if it means GSB sell up and clear off its -1.
Will there still be a 50k waiting list for season tickets ?

HammerAl

Post by HammerAl » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:30 pm

Whatever league we’re in, we’re always going to be stuck with that stadium.

Hello there!

Post by Hello there! » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:32 pm

Bring it on. Burn it all down.

Blow Bubbles

Post by Blow Bubbles » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:32 pm

Not as much as I thought I would... I’ll still be there in my seat (which I know will piss some people off, saying that).

Coops

Post by Coops » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:33 pm

I think it will be the final nail in the coffin. I don't think we will come back up and we will be rattling around in the bowl. Those who have left will stay away, those on the verge will join them. The tourists and day trippers will be fewer. We will be left with a half empty white elephant and a West Ham will exist in name only.
Last edited by Coops on Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:33 pm

1st time at home to Liverpool it was huge. Brooking stayed and it was the making of one of our best ever sides.

2nd time at Anfield we'd had an amazing run and it was, strangely, one of the best and most memorable nights of my life.

3rd time at Coventry was a real sickner but we had the defiance of the Bond scheme. Never forget Dicks that afternoon. Did us good in the end.

4th time at Birmingham, in front of the 2 'lifelong fans' was one of the worst afternoons of my life. A clutch of home grown players wasted.

5th time at Wigan I thought it was quite funny in a surrealist sort of way. Employ a Gravedigger as manager, be 3:0 down at half time in your first match of the season at Villa and know you're down. Even Brady, who employed him a few months beforehand, said herself that they looked at each other and felt the same. Then there was the text to O'Neil etc and it became a farce.

6th time? Couldn't give a monkeys. Rice on his own might be worth a 1 but reckon he's off anyway.

Look, they've made it abundantly clear that the club's worth is their money. Entirely. So if it means they lose, why should we care. We don't gain, so why suffer?

Back the Team and f*** the Board. It's a bit contradictory, but nowhere else to go.