How much do you care about relegation?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Cellar-door

Re: How much do you care about relegation?

Post by Cellar-door » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:19 am

3-4

I'd care quite a bit for a few reasons:

1. I want to see West Ham against the best in the world. I'd still support West Ham at a lower level, but I'd be disappointed watching inferior squads every week.
2. Relegation actually makes all the current problems worse... we would keep the worst of our players, not be able to buy better ones, we wouldn't be able to attract a quality manager, and GSB would lose much of the incentive to sell as they could get far less for a Championship side. All the problems inherent in ownership would remain.
3. The club would likely start to decline further... if playing at the top level with loads of money couldn't entice GSB to run this like a real club (proper facilities, academy, scouting, analysis, structure) what in the world makes you think they'll shell out money to fix it at lower levels.
4. Who will want to come here? We've long acknowledged that our players and managers often come for the money and a PL side in London. Take away 2 of the 3 and it looks worrying.

So overall, yes I'm concerned. West Ham in the Championship is just a worse version of the current problem, except without the light at the end of the tunnel that is Gold and Sullivan maybe deciding to cash in their profits once the sell up clause expires.

WCpete

Post by WCpete » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:39 am

A big fat 0

likemydreams

Post by likemydreams » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:31 am

A big o for me ! I wanna see the LS half empty and the 3 frauds squirm

Tenbury

Post by Tenbury » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:57 am

I've loved WHU for half a century, but do I love them as part of my love of football? (More to the point,apart from away games,and this place,do they still exist?).
Top flight football has packed it's bags and left me for a younger model,and good riddance. In these last years of exile, I've rediscovered a few basic truths;televised football is a pathetic substitute for the real thing ,I would ,genuinely, rather watch a local pub team on a Sunday afternoon, than sit on a sofa watching a screen and listening to Michael Owen mumbling drivel. More than this, this country is stacked from top to bottom with football grounds where people still go support their team,have a drink with their same mates ,at the same time,in the same place,shout,swear,STAND,and most of all ....enjoy themselves. I watch non league and L2, when I can, and ,above all, it's FUN.(anyone remember that?).
So now it looks like I'm going to be able to reconnect the two great passions in my life, and ,for that at least, I'd like the thank the Two Spivs +their poodle. ( If you're reading this ,though, don't big yourselves up too much,I'd still prefer it if you were dead. :thup: )

roblo

Post by roblo » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:05 am

I thought I didn't care but at the game last night someone said "bring on Millwall" and I thought, wow, the mighty West Ham, that's what we've come too. My dad saw us win FA cups, and we get to celebrate playing Millwall.

Then I had the thought of the dross we played against and the awful players we had the last couple of times we were down. Last night we played recent champions of England, next year Reading.

I want the owners to suffer, but not at more expense of the supporters.

pablo jaye

Post by pablo jaye » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:14 am

A big fat nada for me too .... we’ll get what we deserve.

westlondonhammer

Post by westlondonhammer » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:27 am

This is West Ham... irrespective of owners, managers, players, this is what are and what we've always been. We could have better managers, be run better, have better players but it's always short lived... we always bounce back to fighting relegation, it's in our DNA.

At 35 years old I've seen us win sweet f*** all... I'd like to see us win a cup before I die please... that'll be enough.

Ozza

Post by Ozza » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:46 am

Couldn’t give a toss, am actually not so secretly hoping it’s the catalyst to get stuck into the c**** at the top and force some change.

westham,eggyandchips

Post by westham,eggyandchips » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:13 am

Nish.

I became a fan of West Ham when they were in the second tier and it was great fun and all the subsequent relegations even more so. Bring it on.

Roby

Post by Roby » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:16 am

I care.

More than about 95% of our players.

Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"

Post by Tristan Shout » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:28 am

I was born in 1976, I was 4 years old last time we won something, we are not going to win the premiership, if we get relegated, hopefully 2 divisions, I can watch is rise again instead of stagnating where we are, it would mean the world to me to see us win the league, no matter which league it is

LOS

Post by LOS » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:34 am

Hello there! wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:32 pm
Bring it on. Burn it all down.
^^ This.
(Normally I'd be devastated, but 'normally' packed its bags years ago)
The club needs a thorough cleanse, and purge of current ills.

Little by little we'll reclaim our identity and go again. That journey excites me, no matter what challenges. Can't stand what we'be become :scarfer:

Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:40 am

I'm so apathetic at the moment that I'm probably around a 1 or 2. I think it will be disastrous for the squad, that we'll end up with a mediocre set of players who would need massive investment (that won't come) to compete if we ever come back up (so, pretty much where we are now!), but that won't matter because we're more likely to fall through into L1 than come back up.

OTOH, if we go down and stay down long enough for the parachute payments to run out, it may be the best chance to get rid of the ubercunts who have ruined us, though we'll still be stuck rattling around that turd-pit of a stadium in the middle of a concrete wasteland.

****ed if we stay up, ****ed if we don't, but the latter is a lot more likely

steps

Post by steps » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:41 am

Positives:

G&S get hit in the pocket.
G&S sell up.
Two games a week.
The plastics / half and half scarf wearers / day trippers all **** off.
Cheaper STs.
Better away days.
The LS is eventually deemed unsustainable for a club our size and we have to find a new home, possibly by new owners.
The squad would have a much needed overhaul.

Negatives:

G&S don’t sell up.
Moyes stays.
We freefall even more ala Sunderland after Moyes.
The football will be appalling.

The positives outweigh the negatives, but I realise I’m in dreamland with some of those positive bullet points. I’m probably on the fence about it at the moment.

@dave_boy

Post by @dave_boy » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:48 am

Zero

I enjoyed the 2011/12 Championship season :thup:

More than one season in that league though . . . . .

student_hammer

Post by student_hammer » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:53 am

Increases the chances of GSB actually selling up.
Best chance of getting Moyes out of the club
We might actually win a few games
I enjoyed the championship last time around
Who didn’t have fun at the play-off final?!
Diangana is a joy to watch at that level

Condorhammer

Post by Condorhammer » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:55 am

Just checked my pockets and found that I have absolutely no shits left to give. So it’s a big fat 0 from me, I really couldn’t give a monkeys anymore whilst we have those 3 parasites running, sorry, ruining the club.

Marky

Post by Marky » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:57 am

I care hugely.
I think G and S would remain so we would still have them but be in the Champ

RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:09 am

The upsides....

More games
Cheaper ST
Move to the lower tier
Potential day trip to Wembley (our only real chance)

With no streams the bigger question is, what will you do with your time?

Nesticles

Post by Nesticles » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:13 am

I, like many others, gave up following the team since the move to the OS. I walked out half way through a game in the opening season there and have never been back.

This isn’t West Ham United, it’s West Ham London. I’ll enjoying watching them get relegated, I’ll enjoy seeing clips of a half empty athletics stadium next season and even more under GSB I would enjoy watching them free-fall down there football leagues. I know plenty others who have packed it in that will be feeling the same.