How much do you care about relegation?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Coops

Re: How much do you care about relegation?

Post by Coops » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:13 am

Why does everyone think that relegation will increase the chances of the spivs selling up?
I think it increases the chances of them further asset stripping us in the short term.
Parachute payments, reduced rent, big cheques for Rice etc. I reckon that gives them at least a couple of years with similar profit to what they are getting with the TV money.

The grubby little spiv has already stated that he believes we will always come straight back up. I don't think relegation worries him half as much as we would all like to believe it does.

I am also more and more convinced that the long game is for them to get their hands on the prime piece of land at Stratford.

So either:
1) we survive and the merry go round continues.
2) We go down have a couple of seasons watching crap football (and it will be crap) in a half empty bowl. Then we get promoted and the merry go round continues.
3) We slide further, hardly anybody comes to matches. We are either relocated or we continue to play at the bowl (probably with the top half closed).

None of these options are particularly appealing. But those wishing for 3 don't seem to grasp what is actually happening to our support.
The true fans are losing or have lost faith. Many are staying away, many are telling me that they wont be renewing next year. Lots of you are saying that relegation will get rid of the day trippers, and it will. But it wont bring back the Majors, wont bring back the chap behind me, who has a 4 hour round trip and has already decided that this season is his last.
What will happen is fewer and fewer of us will be bothered to make the trek to the windy white elephant. Yes this will be bad for the spivs, but it will also be the final death knell for our beloved club.
Last edited by Coops on Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mega Ron

Post by Mega Ron » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:14 am

RichieRiv wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:09 am
The upsides....

More games
Cheaper ST
Move to the lower tier
Potential day trip to Wembley (our only real chance)

With no streams the bigger question is, what will you do with your time?
The last time we were down there were only a few games not on a stream.

Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:16 am

In regards to the football, where we play it's a zero for me. It all really depends on what the parasites do, by going down does that mean they stay longer ruining our club??? If someone can answer that and say they would stay longer my zero would be a 5.

As others have mentioned, if we drop 2 divisions its still our club.

I have strangely over the last few months got some more love for football again, going to the bowl again, passion is somewhat back, so will be there on match day moaning like the majority of us :D

sicknote
Plumbing the depths

Post by sicknote » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:16 am

RichieRiv wrote:
The upsides....

More games
Cheaper ST
Move to the lower tier

If our club signed up to it, which is debatable as they might prefer bums on seats at the athletic track than allowing worldwide streaming, then you can stream on this platform

https://www.efl.com/iFollow/

And as for giving a f*** about relegation, nope I believe the club seriously needs it

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:16 am

RichieRiv wrote:
The upsides....

More games
Cheaper ST
Move to the lower tier

I think you can watch any game that isn't a 3 o clock Saturday kick off on something called Ifollow. My Dad seems to watch midweek Plymouth games live on there

Given we would be the 'giants' we would have hardly any games at 3pm Saturday anyway

S-H

Post by S-H » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:20 am

I can't wait to see their faces when we drop, how on earth will they be able spin it?

Of course, they won't sell up, but it shows the world once and for all just how incompetent they truly are.

The stadium next season, will be highlighted even more so, for the complete clusterfuck it really is, with thousands of empty seats.

Two relegations and Ten years of failure, haha you bunch of crooks.

szola

Post by szola » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:22 am

I'm on a strong 1
Can't say I'm completely unaffected by the club dropping one division.
It's enough to have seen how two sides who were built to play football with a combination of passing and moving have been extinguished by the need to survive.
We'll again lose good players and retain the mediocre ones, only more so than if we end up finishing 17th.

Johnny_C WHU

Post by Johnny_C WHU » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:22 am

I love West Ham, but I don't love this West Ham.

We have been rubbish for most of my supporting life and relegation etc. always hurt but I have always rolled with it. I have been gutted with some of the players we have lost. Now with West Ham London I just feel numb about it (at the moment) and to be fair I don't really care about most of the players going.
I was so pissed off after the Leicester game last night because at the start of the season we was supposed to be comparable. They are light years ahead of us. Relegation almost seems inevitable.

Does Sully fear relegation? I am not so sure. If I was in his shoes I would be on the phone to my favourite agent and will be getting players through the door. I don't get that feeling from the club at the moment, that we are desperate for players.

Its also his quotes from before, something like if we was to go down we would come straight back up. With that attitude, going down to the fizzy and receiving that parachute money wouldn't be the worst thing... I think that attitude stinks and personally don't think we would come straight back up, there are many 'big' teams stuck down there now.
Last edited by Johnny_C WHU on Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Post by sanchoz » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:22 am

Championship: the most expensive league in the world for away fans?
Away ticket prices in the Championship are once again under the spotlight following the Premier League’s announcement that the £30 cap will continue for another three seasons…

The Premier League announced last week that the £30 competition-wide cap on away ticket prices would continue for another three seasons and the cap, which is likely to save supporters millions of pounds, was welcomed by fans across the country.

Immediately after the announcement countless fans of clubs in the EFL Championship got in touch with the FSF via social media to ask the simple question: “Why can’t we have this in the Championship?”

The Premier League’s cap means that the Championship is now quite possibly the most expensive league in the world for away fans.

Last week, journalist David Dubas-Fisher looked at ticket prices across the division. Of the 386 Championship matches that are publicly available so far in 2018/19 season the vast majority of those games - 80 per cent - had standard, advanced, adult tickets priced at £30 or less. He also found:

80% of matches this season have standard adult tickets priced at £30 or under. However, that still leaves 20% (77 matches in total) that are more expensive

Some 33 matches had tickets priced between £35 and £40

The average cost of an away ticket stands at £27.04

The worst offenders are Leeds United who have charged visiting fans an average of £37.82 per ticket. Birmingham, meanwhile have charged £19.12

Leeds United fans are charged the most at £29.50 on average, followed by Sheffield United (£29.04). Reading are charged the least at £24.85.
http://www.fsf.org.uk/blog/view/Champio ... -the-world

smuts

Post by smuts » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:24 am

S-H wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:20 am
I can't wait to see their faces when we drop, how on earth will they be able spin it?

Of course, they won't sell up, but it shows the world once and for all just how incompetent they truly are.

The stadium next season, will be highlighted even more so, for the complete clusterfuck it really is, with thousands of empty seats.

Two relegations and Ten years of failure, haha you bunch of crooks.
That's how I feel. From being given a 60k stadium for hardly anything with minimal rent and then relegating us in 3 years, they will be ridiculed everywhere.

Brady would be shown up for the fraud she is, etc.

Every cloud...

MadMart

Post by MadMart » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:25 am

kenthammer1984 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:55 pm
If we go down then there is zero chance of DS and DG selling up.

They will want to get us back up to protect their asset. Absolutely zero chance they sell if we drop down.
This pisses me off more than relegation and all the crap that goes with it - we protested to get Terry Brown out and we must do the same now. I truly hope we stay up, but more importantly I hope the board sell up and f*** off

ironhammer58

Post by ironhammer58 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:33 am

Think i’ve said it before, will only renew st if we get relegated, need to stay down for three seasons to see off scum in charge.
Get back to some proper honest football. last time we were down everyone was saying we were biggest spenders but Leicester were outspending us and they couldn’t crack it for a few seasons and look what happened to them when they did. Now i’m under no illusion that we could come back up and win the title, but under ambitious new owners (chance is they’d sell to another dodgy mob just to spite us) with a proper structure and long term strategy we could come back up with a young, hungry, hard working, entertaining squad that could regularly challenge for top six and cups.
That just leaves the toilet bowl to sort out :phew:

Porkeyes

Post by Porkeyes » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:35 am

0, I'm a fan of English football. The Prem is drifting miles away from that. It was good when a few years back teams would have a British/Irish spine with the foreign sprinkling of magic but now it's like a foreign league. Most games you see are a cheating competition with people squealing upon contact or positioning themselves for contact to hit the floor at every opportunity. It's the type of football that years ago we'd all laugh at with all the play acting, holding of heads when kicked in the ankle etc but now it's the norm here.

I prefer the Championship it's more like an English league. Fair enough you will still get some of the cheating habits but it's nowhere near as bad. No VAR as well so can celebrate a goal again without gawping at a screen mid flow.

If we go low enough we won't be able to afford the rent on the soul drainer and there might be a chance the liars will do one.

-DL-
Match thread guru

Post by -DL- » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:35 am

Sorry if I don't fit in, but I'm a 5. I don't want to see us go down. I'll be devastated. As I posted in another thread this morning, I can't see how relegation will hit them directly in the pocket? Yes, the value of their asset, the club, will reduce, but other than that, can one of you learned people explain how it will affect them personally on a financial level? Brady will still be getting her bonuses, G&S will still be getting their interest, and yes, granted they may even have to use some of their own money in to the club - but they'll gain interest on that too, so if anything, in the long term they'll probably profit from it on a personal level.

Meanwhile, those much further down the food chain get made redundant, the normal day to day people scraping hand to mouth with families to feed, our better players get sold off for nothing near what they are worth.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the clubs money isn't their money, and as I said before, the only ones to lose out will be people at the club, the club itself and the fans.

And what do we do when we are down there? Try and get back to exactly where we are now. So what's the ****ing point? Then of course, if they do get us back up, they're the ones that will bask in the 'glory', whilst the normal day to day Hammers Fans that don't see the wood from the trees, the non-KUMB membership, those that are not part of the Twitterati, can fawn over them and say (like they still do when you point out to them this vile trio have already relegated us before) "Yeah, but they got us back up again, they saved us".

Personally, I'd rather see us struggle down the bottom of The Premier League, so it can show these shysters up for what they are - a board that's incapable of running a large, well supported, Premier League club, and that they are well and truly out of their depth.

#GSBOUT

woodford

Post by woodford » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:36 am

Coops wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:13 am

None of these options are particularly appealing. But those wishing for 3 don't seem to grasp what is actually happening to our support.
The true fans are losing or have lost faith. Many are staying away, many are telling me that they wont be renewing next year. Lots of you are saying that relegation will get rid of the day trippers, and it will. But it wont bring back the Majors, wont bring back the chap behind me, who has a 4 hour round trip and has already decided that this season is his last.
What will happen is fewer and fewer of us will be bothered to make the trek to the windy white elephant. Yes this will be bad for the spivs, but it will also be the final death knell for our beloved club.
This 100%

Its ok to hope for relegation to hurt those in the directors box. But here's the news. They don't give a **** for our club. Its a cash cow, and when Sullivans ****** it, and wiped his knob on the curtains in the VIP suite, he'll move on and we will be left with the ruins. He wont be coming on here sharing memories of the good times, he wont be going through the 'good old days' thread and remembering where he was, the man could not give a ****. As well as Sullivan being an absolute prize ****, what makes it worse is that he is plainly crap at his job, so please don't be under any illusion that we will be coming back up as a given.

If any of you truly want relegation and you'll be content to go and watch us playing Preston or Barnsley fair enough, enjoy.

Say you want it, say you'd prefer it , but don't say you don't care about it because it will be us the bare the brunt of what could be a slow, painful and possibly permanent decline.

They will go. The players will go. We will remain

JerseyHammer

Post by JerseyHammer » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:45 am

I say 0-1 at this moment in time but when it actually happens it'd be more like a 4, I pretend to not care, I pretend that it'll be alright but it's a pretty big deal. Especially when the fixtures comes out and reality sets in.

It's been alluded to more than once in this thread but it's very difficult to see us coming back up. Previous relegations were more gutting because of the players we'd lose. But we were still one of the bigger clubs in the division, had a stadium that'd generally be full and could attract players that'd get us out of the league.

This time around I find it hard to relate to many of our players so that side of it doesn't bother me as much, but as a player looking for a decent Championship club that'd be fighting for promotion (if I weren't a supporter) then I'd probably look elsewhere and it's that which worries me.

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:48 am

no I have accepted that this spineless lazy slow ageing useless bunch are going down.
I suspect we will be 2nd bottom or even bottom come may. the next 4 games see 3 defo heavy defeats and brighton who I think will also beat us in our must win game.

25k crowds in the bowl new teams and maybe a chance of an away ticket

I will not be attending as I have had enough of the matchday experience at the bowl. if we were still at the Boleyn I would be attending championship matches but after 4 seasons at the bowl and 43 years of attending matches enough is enough.

I will watch from my sofa . will always be west ham but prefer to remember the old days. we changed for the worst in May 2016.

RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:49 am

Mega Ron wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:14 am
The last time we were down there were only a few games not on a stream.
Well match day threads were not as active or busy on here, so those people must have obviously found something better to do.

I think relegation gives us a good opportunity to purge some of our "supporters". Especially those in the ground.

Gormalysis

Post by Gormalysis » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:49 am

If it was guaranteed to get rid of the owners, I would take relegation.

If it got rid of the awful stadium with them, I would take conference football!

Admiral Skeret

Post by Admiral Skeret » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:55 am

Agree with above :crest: