How much do you care about relegation?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

wildkard

Re: How much do you care about relegation?

Post by wildkard » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:57 am

I don't care, but I also don't think relegation will solve any of our problems.

woodford

Post by woodford » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:00 am

Gormalysis wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:49 am
If it was guaranteed to get rid of the owners, I would take relegation.

If it got rid of the awful stadium with them, I would take conference football!
I get what you mean, but how could this ever be the case? They wont cut their losses as they have no losses to cut

southbrishammer

Post by southbrishammer » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:02 am

If it means I can get an away ticket to Bristol City I'm ok with it. If Rovers can sort themselves out and get promoted to the Championship, doubly so.

The Old Mile End

Post by The Old Mile End » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:07 am

Coops wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:13 am
We are either relocated or we continue to play at the bowl (probably with the top half closed). None of these options are particularly appealing.
I find the idea of relocating extremely appealing. Any football ground will do. We are West Ham, and in a football ground, we will be together again. I'll repeat - any football ground will do.
:crest:

WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:08 am

Should be asking the players and owners this question....

Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"

Post by Wilko1304 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:11 am

I decided it best to respond before reading and being swayed by the overpowering view.

I’d be hurt by relegation now I’m stuck living in Australia. At the moment, the last two seasons have been fine for me missing English football, we get every game in the league. I’m unsure it’ll be so easy at all in the Champ. I’ve been able to get back to a few games a year anyway, although not being home this January and being away for third round of the cup was genuinely a misery.

I’m not gonna cry or be hurt, it’ll just be an inconvenience. I also disagree that it’ll help us be rid of the owners. I’d also miss having Declan Rice, whilst all I want to see is us win the Cup and going down will take us further away from being able to do that.

Coops

Post by Coops » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:11 am

The Old Mile End wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:07 am
I find the idea of relocating extremely appealing. Any football ground will do. We are West Ham, and in a football ground, we will be together again. I'll repeat - any football ground will do.
:crest:
I agree, but I also think it is a very long shot. Also, by the time it happens most of us will be old and the kids will all support Sky clubs.

Absolutely Hammered!

Post by Absolutely Hammered! » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:23 am

I care quite a bit... 4 for me.

-I enjoy watching motd (not so much this year mind you)
- I like that i can watch every game via a stream
- I like playing spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea Liverpool etc and getting the odd win here and there. I personally wouldn't get a buzz about beating millwall as that's not my era or any championship side tbh.
Could go on...

The idea of falling through the leagues excites me not one bit and I dont agree that the PL is a $hite league... its no longer a league where its either man u or arsenal who wins the title. Tottenham and leciester have now broken through so its now 7 sides fighting for top 4. I know we aren't one of them but surely this it makes this league the most interesting in the world...
Just me?
Last edited by Absolutely Hammered! on Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sawbo

Post by Sawbo » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:24 am

I'm not bothered about relegation. Maybe we'll win a few more games.
However, and this is what worries me, we have our very own neroesque owner, fiddling while Rome burns, oblivious to what's fundamentally wrong with the club.
We are in a rented stadium, have two-bob training and medical facilities and a non-existent scouting network.
We aren't far off doing a Coventry.
Last edited by Sawbo on Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:29 am

ideally leave the bowl ground share with orient and build our own 50k proper hammers stadium.
I don't care about relegation as I have now accepted that is what is coming.
I wouldn't back us to beat anyone in our remaining games !all the teams around us are showing more fight and passion. even Bournemouth have woken up. all have easier run ins than us !

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:37 am

-DL- wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:35 am
Sorry if I don't fit in, but I'm a 5. I don't want to see us go down. I'll be devastated. As I posted in another thread this morning, I can't see how relegation will hit them directly in the pocket? Yes, the value of their asset, the club, will reduce, but other than that, can one of you learned people explain how it will affect them personally on a financial level? Brady will still be getting her bonuses, G&S will still be getting their interest, and yes, granted they may even have to use some of their own money in to the club - but they'll gain interest on that too, so if anything, in the long term they'll probably profit from it on a personal level.

Meanwhile, those much further down the food chain get made redundant, the normal day to day people scraping hand to mouth with families to feed, our better players get sold off for nothing near what they are worth.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the clubs money isn't their money, and as I said before, the only ones to lose out will be people at the club, the club itself and the fans.

And what do we do when we are down there? Try and get back to exactly where we are now. So what's the ****ing point? Then of course, if they do get us back up, they're the ones that will bask in the 'glory', whilst the normal day to day Hammers Fans that don't see the wood from the trees, the non-KUMB membership, those that are not part of the Twitterati, can fawn over them and say (like they still do when you point out to them this vile trio have already relegated us before) "Yeah, but they got us back up again, they saved us".

Personally, I'd rather see us struggle down the bottom of The Premier League, so it can show these shysters up for what they are - a board that's incapable of running a large, well supported, Premier League club, and that they are well and truly out of their depth.

#GSBOUT
I agree with most of this
Whilst in the general scheme of things relegation is not the end of the world it would be hugely frustrating
I certainly agree with the point about promotion. People have short memories, and if we did go back up the owners would go from being viewed as incompetent to saviours in the outside world. they would love that

The Premier league is in a real state of flux now. The 'big 6' is being broken up [at least in the short term], and there are plenty of opportunities to be successful that have not been there recently. there is 4 points between 5th and about 14th. Liverpool and Man City may be steamrollering it but underneath that it is an exciting league [if low on quality]

I just can't see the benefits of going down, unless you come straight back up again...but then the process just starts again!

snooperpooper

Post by snooperpooper » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:45 am

Up to last night I could say I really didn't want WHUFC to go down but after watching last night and seeing all the work being done by the fans to get #GSBout for the good of the club I actually found myself hoping they do go down, they need to feel the pain and it will be pain. Sorry if that offends anyone!!!

Braced myself for a double whammy, Saracens are already down!

#GSBout

Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:51 am

-DL- wrote:

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the clubs money isn't their money...
Yes it is, every single penny. The Club now owns nothing except a lease.

-DL-
Match thread guru

Post by -DL- » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:53 am

Doc H Ball wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:51 am
Yes it is, every single penny. The Club now owns nothing except a lease.
Doc, can you elaborate then please? Because as my accountant used to point out to me when I had my little business - I may be the sole shareholder, but every last penny of the company belongs to the company. It's not mine.

SoulCircus

Post by SoulCircus » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:55 am

My real fear is that if we go this season it could be a decade before we come back up. Or we could fall even further. The last time in the Championship was great, new away days and winning a few games. Not sure I could stomach it long-term though,

fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:58 am

I care.

All the off the field stuff bores me to be honest. I enjoy the game of football. I'd like the team I support to play good football and win matches. The result of not doing so would likely be a relegation. So from that perspective it would be crap.

It doesn't really matter though. We have no ambition right now and no joined up thinking. We may at least show some ambition to be promoted if we were to go down.

Moxy

Post by Moxy » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:06 am

1 I suppose, I want us to win every game and it ruins my day/following day when we lose but tbh we deserve to go down. We’re a rotten football club from top to bottom with the only light coming from hammers united and the protest movement, that’s the only thing I’m proud about our club right now. The fans who genuinely love the club. The board are scum and you get what you deserve unfortunately, we have a team with no fight or desire. If we go down there’s no VAR might get a few players in with a bit of pride and all the day trippers will hopefully f*** off, might actually be a bit more like the West Ham United I fell in love with.

TheHandOfDog

Post by TheHandOfDog » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:07 am

It's a 1 from me Geoff.

Tenbury

Post by Tenbury » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:10 am

Gormalysis wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:49 am
If it was guaranteed to get rid of the owners, I would take relegation.

If it got rid of the awful stadium with them, I would take conference football!
Me too. [ And for those who question this, I have to ask d'you really like football....or d' you just like being a football supporter?]. There's far more to it than just success, and anyway the current situation in the top flight has been rigged in such a way that any club not owned by some dodgy foreign oligarch is going nowhere.....ever.[here at Athletics FC, of course , we have cheap homegrown dodgy oligarchs, so we've no chance.]

OFT

Post by OFT » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:48 am

-DL- wrote:

Meanwhile, those much further down the food chain get made redundant, the normal day to day people scraping hand to mouth with families to feed, our better players get sold off for nothing near what they are worth.

#GSBOUT
Great points DL.
I've left this one as in the world of Premier League football these are two of the most important aspects IMO.

Last night I posted that I had accepted, was even prepared to embrace 'relegation' and just take the following events for what they were.

But, having 'slept on it' I'm pretty much in agreement with you.
It's not being in the top division for it's own sake, most of us have been up and down with the club ever since we fell into its embrace, from a purely football point of view, it matters not. In fact, as others have argued, it will be a more familiar and likeable experience for many.
The difference is the stadium, the bloody stadium. The prospect of a competitive existence in the lower leagues where we were from where we are now would be delicious, and if relegation were to lead to that then fantastic, but it won't I fear, certainly not for our generation and possibly the next.
I don't see the owners going anywhere soon so bollox to those bastads,

So, whereas I have for my own peace of mind, if you like, accepted relegation, I do still care about it.