How much do you care about relegation?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

badabing

Re: How much do you care about relegation?

Post by badabing » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:08 am

I feel sorry for all those who still go, as I don`t I couldn`t care a jot, the Premier league is overrated, constant media obsession with the big clubs, 4th place meaning much more than winning the F.A cup etc. Might have more chance of getting away tickets too, and to see the 3 stooges faces as relegation was confirmed would almost be worth it all.
As a fanbase over the years we have been superb , and I wonder what we`ve done in previous lives to have deserved the **** we`ve been served up.

MadaHammer

Post by MadaHammer » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:10 am

I care in as far as I probably wouldn't renew our season tickets next year if we go down. It's a chore and significant effort to go as it is to see premiership football, I just don't think I'd have the desire to renew in the championship. That would be a shame as 3 generations of my family go together.

I think we'd just pick the occasional game instead, at least tickets will be easier to come by.

HammerMan2004

Post by HammerMan2004 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:14 am

I certainly care less that I did last time we went down. That killed me. But at the moment I have no desire to sit and watch another year of mediocrity at that stadium. I've said a couple of times that I'll only likely renew if we actually go down. I want to see different teams. I don't want to experience VAR. I'm sick of Liverpool and Man City.

A few friends think the same. They'll probably bin it off if we stay up.

Mega Ron

Post by Mega Ron » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:25 am

-DL- wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:35 am

Meanwhile, those much further down the food chain get made redundant, the normal day to day people scraping hand to mouth with families to feed, our better players get sold off for nothing near what they are worth.

#GSBOUT
I'm not sure they can cut many more than they already have DL.

Aceface

Post by Aceface » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:31 am

It's hard to answer since it fluctuates according to context. Certainly compared to the Avram season where the prospect was on my mind constantly, it's registering barely trace levels of concern.

But if I picture the most likely scenario – David Moyes standing inside a half-filled OS while Sam Vokes toils up front for us against Reading, I really don't want it.

I think there's a misnomer that lower divisions = hungrier players. But it doesn't. It just means shitter players behaving the same way.

There's no great purge leading to a team of young bucks wowing the league with their innovative football waiting for us over the other side. Last time these guys hired the biggest dinosaur of all and grafted their way back using even older players than we're currently saddled with now.

Their behaviour is incredibly regimented – so much so that it turned out we didn't even need the ten years they've run us to know it. It clings precisely to the prescription the Birmingham supporters imparted on the day they first rode in. So if you're hoping for relegation in order to see a fresh approach, don't kid yourself. Past is prologue.

spod

Post by spod » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:33 am

I hate the board and I hate the stadium, and we'd still be lumbered with both after relegation.
Two possible upsides:
Surely everyone would finally see Gold and Sullivan for the scum they are.
And maybe I'd go to the odd away game, where you get a bit of atmosphere.
Other than that, I don't care about anything much any more. There's a big hole in my life where West Ham used to be.

the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Post by the pink palermo » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:33 am

As DL rightly points out it's the ordinary club employee that gets culled when we get relegated - the receptionist, the office junior, the tea lady at Rush Green.

However, that is a matter of choice, and the club could choose to retain every single one of them and simply get rid of a fring first team player instead.

Or, fire the grossly over paid Vice Chair.

Or, stop paying the shareholders enormous interest payments on their loans.

So it need n not necessarily be "the little guy" that gets clobbered, but if they do, never forget it was a choice made by a highly paid executive, not a decision made out of genuine economic necessity.

So for me, and being clear in my mind about the above, I would say while I would prefer for West Ham United to be playing and compeiting at the highest level possible, it's the second part that matters. I have zero interest in simply making up the numbers, playing an annual game of survival of the luckiest.

If we're going to be in it, let's at least try, olet's do the best we can not the cheapest we can.

And if the Chairman doesn't want to do that, then for me, it's a zero on the relegation issue.

MilkyBarKid16

Post by MilkyBarKid16 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:37 am

It would have been a 3 at Upton Park

swash

Post by swash » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:42 am

let's at least try

That's all I want from all involved with the club, I don't expect to do a Leicester and win the league, I've never bought into the "we'll be in the Champions League BS" All I want and expect is a well run club trying to reach it's potential whatever that may be.

claretchris

Post by claretchris » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:54 am

Tough one - If I though that relegation would kick start a revolution in the way the club was run then it would be a 0.

Sadly all relegation will do is create an environment where Sullivan can cut even more corners and do things even cheaper until the club is on its knees, at which point he'll flog it on the cheap having made his money asset stripping.

We are the only ones that lose (and non-playing club staff that could lose their jobs). Players and coaches come and go - we don't :crest:
Last edited by claretchris on Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nesticles

Post by Nesticles » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:58 am

SoulCircus wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:55 am
My real fear is that if we go this season it could be a decade before we come back up.
Under these owners would love to see it happen

S-H

Post by S-H » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:26 pm

Financially they will be fine, they have plenty of assets in the form of playing staff, whom they can flog for profit.

What will hurt them the most is the negative publicity, from the drop, the empty stadium and the fact their credibility (if they had any to begin with) as 'serious' football club owners, will be non-existent.

The club is an utter shambles, a complete train wreck, and at the heart of it all is Gold, Sullivan and Brady, every part of the mess we find ourselves in lays firmly at their door, and it's there for the footballing community to see with their own eyes.

I don't take any satisfaction in seeing this club on its knees, but the fact that since promising the world from 'the most successful stadium migration in history' they will find themselves in the second tier of English football, a white elephant of a stadium, which will be, I expect, half empty 90% of the time, they simply won't be able to hide from it, this and the thought of their bruised collective egos, offers small consolation.

Fraudsters.

Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:38 pm

MilkyBarKid16 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:37 am

It would have been a 3 at Upton Park
That's interesting Milkybar, why the change in number from UP to the OS?

bonzosbeard

Post by bonzosbeard » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:40 pm

One thing we won't have to listen to anymore would be the Baroness's mysterious waiting list.

She will no longer be able to claim that 50,000 desperate souls are trying to get a season ticket while there are 25,000 empty seats per game.

I would go further about future attendances and think we could have as little as 25,000 to 30,000 for some games and struggle to get 45,000 for a good run in.

A home league cup game, which we would join even earlier would be better off to play at Rush Green.

jastons

Post by jastons » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:46 pm

It's just the familiar predictability of it all.

Di Wolfio
The Daily Llama

Post by Di Wolfio » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:10 pm

Zero

BondsoBob

Post by BondsoBob » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:11 pm

I'm a fair bit older than most on here (I would think) and I've seen 5 relegations -or is it 6? I forget without checking it up- All I can say is that every time many people have said that we would be down indefinitely.
Well, the longest was 3 seasons.
However, there seems to be a real malaise gripping this club now. I think if we go, which I feel is more probable than possible, we will be down for a very long time.
Who knows when we would come back up?

Samba

Post by Samba » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:24 pm

S-H wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:20 am
I can't wait to see their faces when we drop, how on earth will they be able spin it?
It will be our fault. At least that's what they'll try..

I know they took us down at Upton Park but I think there's a very good argument to be made, that if we get relegated now, it will have been probably as a direct result of the stadium move.

Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:34 pm

I think everyone should resign themselves to the fact we’re going down this season. The player’s attitude last night just confirmed that as well as they manager’s tactical nous. We’re doomed and could even be in the relegation zone tonight if Liverpool tonk us on Wednesday.

It won’t make an iota of difference to me. I won’t go to the new stadium any more. I’ve been five times in all and won’t go again - certainly not while GSB are in charge anyway.

The prospect of some decent aways (Millwall, QPR, Leeds if they don’t go up and various others) is tempting but to be honest, I can’t see us getting promoted with GSB in charge either.

My West Ham died in 2016. The current West Ham is just a parody of the team I used to support and they're unrecognisable to the team I loved for nearly 40 years.

Nesticles

Post by Nesticles » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:44 pm

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:34 pm
My West Ham died in 2016. The current West Ham is just a parody of the team I used to support and they're unrecognisable to the team I loved for nearly 40 years.
On the money :thup: