How much do you care about relegation?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Re: How much do you care about relegation?

Post by warp » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:02 pm

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:55 pm
I really don’t want us languishing in lower divisions. The small hope of the odd good season and cup run is about all we have really. Take that away and that’s it. They would have won.
hope of a cup run? :lol:

rainhamtown

Post by rainhamtown » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:10 pm

Ozza wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:58 pm
I thought we struggled against visiting teams last time we went down?
I agree, it definitely wasn't a stroll in the park at home. To be honest Upton Park home record was never great since knocking down the old west stand.

I just always felt secure about our future and our ability to get back. Having the atmosphere and the ability to fill a stadium is not what alot of the other clubs get when they go down. Just felt like we had a baseline at that ground and couldn't fall too far.

The only reason i bring up Upton Park is that i feel that is the difference this time around. I wouldn't feel secure at all if we went down again. I always saw some positives before (again except 02/03, that was devastating)

Ozza

Post by Ozza » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:13 pm

Weirdly (go with me on this) we might find it easier, I reckon teams might actually come and attack us there making the game open.

Last time we were down almost every home game was park the bus time for the oppo

rainhamtown

Post by rainhamtown » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:18 pm

Ozza wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:13 pm
Weirdly (go with me on this) we might find it easier, I reckon teams might actually come and attack us there making the game open.

Last time we were down almost every home game was park the bus time for the oppo
Yeah definitely could. They could also get completely lost in the moment of it all and become spectators. Hopefully we wont have to find out anyway :D

iLoveLasagne

Post by iLoveLasagne » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:40 pm

Cellar-door wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:10 pm
Except they won't feel any is the point. Oh they might be slightly annoyed, but until they sell a dip in club valuation doesn't mean much.
What we should hope for is that they sell up as soon as the sell-up clause expires, and that is most likely to happen if we stay up.
I hear this about waiting for the clause yet recently I have also heard that the club will be passed onto the children. Right now they are being groomed to be involved in the sport in some capacity. Whether you think it is realistic or not, it seems they see their future in football. They will have a ready made club to step into should they decide it is their next step when the time is right in their eyes. I doubt they would get offered an opportunity anywhere else unless they are able to sell up and buy a different club. Question is, fans from outside must surely be aware to some degree of what a bad outcome that would be if their club was chosen to be the next project so there will be uproar if they tried this again right? West Ham will be familiar and they will be accustomed to all the aggro by then. If we groan and show a bit of annoyance I think they will put up with that in the long term and treat it as normal as long as the finances stack up favourably for them. Which is why we need to up the ante and drive change while we still can.

hammer1975

Post by hammer1975 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:17 pm

I think relegation means they stay longer...which is bad
If they stay longer it means freebies, loans and journeymen to get us promoted - has been their championship MO every time
The squad re-build will be the largest ever. Rice, Anderson, Fornals, Haller, Lanzini, Diop gone for sure at less than their value as we’ll need to get their wages off the books. Snodgrass and Noble potentially will see pace issues even more exposed in championship. Masuaku, Ogbonna, Fabianski all probably will look to move on. Will Diangana want to join West Brom if they go up and bid? At least last time we had a core of Green, Reid, Tomkins, Noble, Collison and Cole to build on.
Going down means chucking the cup games every year irrespective
It would mean a completely new team if we do get up from the championship - how much would they spend to stay up?
It will mean every championship team raising their game like it’s a cup final when they come to play us at the shitbowl
And, oh, the shitbowl will be even worse. None of the bad things about it will improve.

And if, by some miracle, the current owners do f*** off - then the lead time to get back to the PL is longer with the risk that we are Norwich or Villa rather than Sheff Utd.

Gsbgsb

Post by Gsbgsb » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:18 am

Clucking Bell wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:43 pm
On the other hand, if getting relegated resulted in the club being sold to, say, the bloke who owns Team Ineos before next Christmas, I'm all in favour.
Ineos are interested in getting into football. Chelsea was the target but apparently they walked away at the £3bn asking price. Cannot imagine a Championship club would interest them though.

Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:26 am

Hoping for it.

This isn’t West Ham United anymore.

It’s a money-making scheme for odious crooks. If it has to tank in order for them to lose money and gain further shame, so be it.

bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:57 am

Gsbgsb wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:18 am
Ineos are interested in getting into football. Chelsea was the target but apparently they walked away at the £3bn asking price. Cannot imagine a Championship club would interest them though.
The price would be low, the potential reward high.

Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:58 am

Gsbgsb wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:18 am
Too late for us. Last year they did a €100 million takeover of the French club OGC Nice.

Prob

Post by Prob » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:06 pm

Next season if we stay up we will have another **** season in the premiership, if we go down we will have a **** season in the championship.

We won't come stright back up, Gold and Sullivan won't invest in the team to get us back up, fans will drop off and we will be playing games in front of 20,000 people in that **** stadium.

And yet all this I really don't care maybe I am falling out of love with the game now, like many my age are now that 25-35 year old, I enjoy the social side of going to the games. I will keep my season ticket.

Something has happened to football that no longer excites everyone. no one seems to even care that Liverpool are going to win the league. 5 years ago everyone would have hated it

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:14 pm

I totally understand if people want relegation because they think that will get rid of the owners [i don't think so, but that is just my opinion]

However, i don;t really get the opinion that people don't mind relegation because they don't like the Premiership. If you get relegated then the goal [as with every sport team] will be to win games, and fans who don't want to be in the Premiership will be hoping West Ham win games, and get promoted back k to that league they expressed desire to get out of in the first place!
Last edited by Crouchend_Hammer on Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BondsoBob

Post by BondsoBob » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:15 pm

rainhamtown wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:10 pm
I agree, it definitely wasn't a stroll in the park at home. To be honest Upton Park home record was never great since knocking down the old west stand.

I just always felt secure about our future and our ability to get back. Having the atmosphere and the ability to fill a stadium is not what alot of the other clubs get when they go down. Just felt like we had a baseline at that ground and couldn't fall too far.

The only reason i bring up Upton Park is that i feel that is the difference this time around. I wouldn't feel secure at all if we went down again. I always saw some positives before (again except 02/03, that was devastating)
Not knocking you mate, but Upton Park was never, ever, a fortress. I could never understand it when opposing players used to say it was intimidating, and would then come and thrash us. I saw us take more hidings at Upton Park than I've had hot dinners. And that goes back to the infamous 2-8 defeat by Blackburn.
Upton Park may have been intimidating for visiting fans, and that would have been many, many years ago, but for visiting teams? No.

Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:31 pm

Prob wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:06 pm
Something has happened to football that no longer excites everyone.
A few observations as to what's changed it for me, certainly in the last few years:

1) The introduction a manufactured atmosphere or even a lack of atmosphere as is evident in the OS.

2) The attempt at fleecing fans for every penny they have, whether it be season tickets or match day tickets, club merchandise or even just a pint in the ground

3) The sterilisation of the match day experience. No standing, no swearing, no banners and over-zealous stewards who don't understand football or football crowds.

4) The lack of connection to the players, not to mention their general lack of commitment at times.

5) The lack of "edge" on certain fixtures that years ago would have guaranteed a great pre and post match experience and atmosphere

6) The monetisation of everything connected with the match day experience which is prohibitive for younger fans and parents wishing to introduce their kids to football

bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:38 pm

Prob wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:06 pm
Something has happened to football that no longer excites everyone. no one seems to even care that Liverpool are going to win the league. 5 years ago everyone would have hated it
The way that individual teams are dominating the league in most seasons is killing it as a spectacle and a competition. The way it happens in individual games is also killing it.

Good sport requires closely fought contests.

VAR is a disaster. It kills the tempo in games.

The whole structure of the game with huge squads being allowed is a bad thing. Cup competitions are mostly rubbish due to weakened squads and them being devalued for overly long and unexciting UEFA euro-leagues. International football is the same.

I'm struck by how pure , raw and competitive football tends to be once the CL/PL is removed.

The barney at Orient-Northampton in the week was off the scale of the sterile, pre-ordained narrative with 'elite' football. Much more interesting.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wivenhoetim

Post by wivenhoetim » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:39 pm

Never, ever thought Id say it but...
Id love it, absolutely love it.
Its what we deserve as a club (complete shambles)
Its what we deserve as a team (underperforming shambles)
Its what we deservew as fans ( regain perspective, anticipation and excitement on match days home and away and hopefully a bit more ownership of our club)
Its what we deserve with owners like this..(fill yopur boots).
Cant be arsed with arguments about parachute payments, Sky money and what if we dont go straight back up, we`ve lost our home, our credibility, ourinterest in football and will lose our club completely if we carry on like this.
Bring it on !!

mushy

Post by mushy » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:40 pm

Ozza wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:13 pm

Ozza, teams already come to our place and attack us. Thats how we got into this mess in the first place.

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:45 pm

bubbles1966 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:38 pm
The way that individual teams are dominating the league in most seasons is killing it as a spectacle and a competition. The way it happens in individual games is also killing it.

Good sport requires closely fought contests.

Take Liverpool out and this is the most competitive Premier League for a long time

Da Vinci

Post by Da Vinci » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:12 pm

I think the Championship is a more exciting division than the Premier League which is turning in to the Scottish prem. You know who's going to be challenging at the top of the prem mostly before the season starts. In the Championship its more dog eat dog and the football is more like the English game we know and love. So relegation ??? Not bothered about it might do us good to have a clear out from top to bottom :)

bristolhammerfc

Post by bristolhammerfc » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:21 pm

Da Vinci wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:12 pm
I think the Championship is a more exciting division than the Premier League which is turning in to the Scottish prem.
I was thinking this but actually, the playing field is just more level in the Championship. It's not more exciting.

The best thing that could happen to the premiership is to see Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd all leave and join a European super league with one team relegated per season.

Restructure the premiership and Championship and make the leagues below go part time.

In terms of relegation, I would only say that if it happened I would want anyone but Moyes in charge. I don't want relegation because that means the team loses which I never want.