Our players are not good enough

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

keithwright1977

Our players are not good enough

Post by keithwright1977 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:54 pm

As the title says, our players are not good enough, no pace, no power, no energy, no enthusiasm, no imagination, no hope. I don’t understand what we are trying to achieve both on and off the pitch. All logic seems to have gone out of the window. We need a massive squad overhaul with only days to go with no apparent money. What should we do?

ornchurch ammer

Re: OUR PLAYERS ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH

Post by ornchurch ammer » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:07 am

keithwright1977 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:54 pm
As the title says, our players are not good enough, no pace, no power, no energy, no enthusiasm, no imagination, no hope. I don’t understand what we are trying to achieve both on and off the pitch. All logic seems to have gone out of the window. We need a massive squad overhaul with only days to go with no apparent money. What should we do?
Think about what to spend next seasons ST money on. No way I'm paying to watch Chumpionship football in that ****hole.

Depressed Hammer

Re: Our players are not good enough

Post by Depressed Hammer » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:10 am

Lanzini is a huge let down. Came back from that nasty knee injury then suffered a dislocated shoulder against Burnely. Seems like he isnt going into tackles or trying to burst through 2 players like he used to. Hate to say it but he is playing with self protection in mind so it doesn,t end his career leaving him one more pay day move away at some point. Hate to say it cause i am fond of the guy but he needs to go while he has sell on value.

ironilunga

Post by ironilunga » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:53 am

keithwright1977 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:54 pm
No need to throw the baby out with the bath water. Haller, Fornals, Diop, Rice, Antonio, Ogbonna, Anderson, Fab, Randolph (as no2) are all good enough. They just need a bit of help.

Cellar-door

Post by Cellar-door » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:03 am

Our players do not fit together well, but there is plenty of quality. If we fix the gaping hole in central midfield and get Fredericks and Anderson back we probably stay up. The biggest concerns to me right now are.... we don't seem to have an athletic midfielder lined up, and Moyes seems to have an irrational distaste for Fornals who is our most competent midfielder.

Rozzop

Post by Rozzop » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:54 am

I could have told you that at the start of the season.

That team put out last night was championship quality.

MorthwylMawr

Post by MorthwylMawr » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:24 am

I think the core of the team is good enough, the failure is twofold.
1) Lack of quality beyond the core
2) Lack of coaching, managerial nous and tactics to get the most out of what we have.

I don't think there would be many that would have predicted our current predicament at the start of the season. We have a collective (most not all) of players that are not delivering to or exceeding their capacity and that is a managerial issue.

We don't have a side that should be anywhere near this relegation battle but our performance has us sucked right in. No idea where the next point is coming from.

Come the summer and the invetible firesale we will need a new side complete. How did we get to this?

steps

Post by steps » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:34 am

We never put a ball in behind the oppo defence for a forward to run on to. No pace in the team at all. It’s all tapping it about in triangles, trying to build up play. As I said in another thread, we must be the worst in the league at hitting teams on the counter attack, we just don’t have the players to do it.

I have serious question marks about Haller. I fell sorry for him, he looks stroppy. He looks like a fella who’s made the biggest career mistake in his life, and he wants out.

Lanzini is not half of the player anymore.

If we’re going to stay up we need to get the most out of Anderson and Fornals, Antonio will graft his nuts of regardless. We need a strong midfielder because Rice’s positional play at times is quite shocking. We could also do with another striker to play off Haller, and a right back to give poor old Zaba a rest, he just can’t keep up with the pace now.

Will these positions be addressed? Will they ****. More points will go down the toilet and G&S will only have themselves to blame.

S-H

Post by S-H » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:52 am

Maybe if we had a system, an identity, or any semblance of a structure in place, and focused on bringing in the right players to play in a specific system, using our extensive scouting network (haha) I don't know.. like a professional football club should, maybe then we would identify, scout and then buy players based on their suitability, their age, and their ability to fit into our system, rather than signing a name, because he's class on Fifa 19, and just hoping/expecting that he'll fit in, and play well because he did well for his former club.

BARKING IRON

Post by BARKING IRON » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:00 am

My optimism sickens me but get rid of Zabaleta noble snodgrass (bench player) and Lanzini who I never want to see in a West Ham shirt again replace with Ben Johnson, new CM , Holland and Grady we will start to look more like a PL team. Here’s something to think about we finished a few points behind this Leicester team last season new CB signing Tielamans on a permanent deal and Perez along with a good system has totally transformed them. We can accommodate 1 over 30 in the team not 4

-DL-
Match thread guru

Post by -DL- » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:00 am

I think our players were good enough, and I said that when Pellergrini was here. He just wasn't getting enough out of them, they were disorganised, unfit, and by the time he went, confidence was totally shot, and we were left floundering near the bottom of the table. It was then that our inept board of directors left it a good 6 weeks or more too long before they finally sacked him.

Now fast forward, and a run of injuries to Antonio, Yarmalenko, Fredericks, Anderson - all key players with the ability to play football to the required level, and our current manager, like him or loathe him, is now having to field a pensioner at right back, no options in the middle, a shot Lanzini, rock bottom confidence and having to play catch up due to the board delaying getting rid of the previous manager, and a previous manager that seemed to lack the ability to get the best of the now injured players he had at his disposal.

Now of course, we're out of the bottom 3 on goal difference only, and that's not down to the players or Moyes since he's been in - that's firmly on the board for dithering and not making a decision, and on Pellergrini for his ineptitude since we beat Man Utd.

Now I'm not saying Fredericks for example, is a top quality right back, but what he does offer is energy and pace - he can keep up with an attacking player, harry them, get in the way of a cross, be there, make himself busy, put them off, unlike Zaba for example, who gets left for dust on the half way line allowing the attacker a free run up the line. It's the same with the others mentioned above. Yarmalenko, Anderson, etc have not all become rubbish overnight - they've been messed about by the previous manager whose tactics, if you could call them that, were baffling to those that were watching, so they must have been pretty baffling to those who were trying to implement them on the pitch - and with what HE had at his disposal, I will still maintain until my last breath - that we should have not been where we were in the table when he left. It's all too easy to blame Roberto and the loss of Fabianski, but what was going on in the middle of the pitch and further up has also played a big part in us being in the position we were when he left and where we are now. It's clear we're crying out for a bit of pace, yet when we had a bit of pace in the team, the manager didn't utilise it properly, instead trying a short shitty passing game and trying to walk the ball in the the goal. The players we did have with pace are now on the treatment table.

Moyes has now got to try and save us from relegation with in effect half our 2nd team, and one hand tied behind his back by our awful owners.

Make no mistake, we're going down this season - and for all the comments of "It will hit the owners in the pocket" - no it won't. It will do no such thing. They'll still be creaming off their interest, they'll perhaps have to loan the club even more money to try and get us up again - with even more interest. In the meantime, the club itself will get hurt with the loss of TV revenue, the fans will get hurt with the indignity of relegation, and for what? To try and get up again so the whole cycle of incompetence and vanity of our board can start again.

#GSBOUT

westham,eggyandchips

Re: OUR PLAYERS ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH

Post by westham,eggyandchips » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:06 am

ornchurch ammer wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:07 am
No way I'm paying to watch Chumpionship football in that ****hole.
What are you doing now then? :shock:

Mega Ron

Post by Mega Ron » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:11 am

It will hit them in their pockets.

Regardless of what they say, they want to sell the club. They want a few hundred million each for it.

And as much as I want rid of them, a large part of me wants them to lose out on that. If we languish in the other divisions and everyone sees how inept they are. Fantastic.

If they happen to expire during that time, I'll be having a party. Big time.

GSBOUT

OR 6FTUNDER

MadaHammer

Post by MadaHammer » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:12 am

We wouldn't have beaten the majority of the championship teams with that performance last night. Just devoid of any kind of energy or competitiveness.

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:59 am

the question is would many of our players get a start in most PL teams outside the bottom 3 ?

Randolph martin zabaleta cresswell diop noble Snodgrass lanzini haller masuaka sanchez wilshere reid ajeti would not

having loaned out or sold our beter youth players in diagana powell Holland and Coventry we have no youngster to come in

most of the squad is lazy and not performing .

last night only Randolph Antonio and fornals actually put some effort in. the rest were awful. should be dropped but we have nothing to come in

ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:02 am

Mega Ron wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:11 am
I
GSBOUT

OR 6FTUNDER
You could bury Sully standing up if it's 6 feet :lol:

WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:04 am

Not sure why some of the posts on here seem to be surprised at the shambles on offer.... it’s been like this for effing years....we are a club the is more often in relegation scraps than pushing for Euro football, and in the rare occasions we do get into Euro, that gets effed up aswell.....I am honestly not surprised at all....

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:08 am

Of course they're not. When you have owners who know nothing about football, nor how to properly run a football club, what else can you expect? It will always be about plugging gaps and no sooner than you do, another one appears. It's like re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic

hammerleroy

Post by hammerleroy » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:11 am

Moyes never stood a chance with this lot. Surprised he took the job. It'll take years to get back from the Championship but at least there'll be no VAR to moan about!!! Just hope we don't have to rock up here at Kenilworth Road as we all know how that will end!

Supreme

Post by Supreme » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:12 am

In other news, water is wet and the sky is blue.