Has my fire really gone out ?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Mega Ron

Re: Has my fire really gone out ?

Post by Mega Ron » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:36 am

lincolnhammer1963 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:43 pm
I know what you mean Lovejoy,
its like meeting a girl when youre young, and having a passionate relationship.
You get married, have kids, have good times as well as bad

You grow old together
you still love each other, but you don't necessarily like each as much.
That's my relationship with West Ham.
its like looking back in an old photo album and putting the rose tinted spectacles on.
Life was wonderful back then.
it probably wasn't, but hehhh who cares we were young and in love
I'd get a divorce yesterday if I felt about my wife the way I do the club

Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:45 am

The Old Man of Storr wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:18 pm
He was that dog .............some say he still walks the mean streets of Cork others say he moved North to Donegal , some say they saw him over at the Galway Races last year , one thing's for sure ....he's got nothing left to lick , his b*llocks were kicked clean off and that's why they call him.....
Old Yeller .
I heard he was the beast that Dougal speaks in hushed tones about:

Pop Robson

Post by Pop Robson » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:18 pm

Pob! wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:59 pm
All I have left is the embers of a fire that once burned brightly in my heart and consumed my soul.

GSB have killed everything that was West Ham, and it's got nothing to do with our performances on the pitch.

Getting up on a Saturday morning with THAT feeling.
Parking on Southern Road and walking through the back streets to Green Street and over to Ken's cafe for a old fashioned hot dog and a cup of Rosie and a chat.
Then over to the Queens for a pint. Now I'm off to the sweetie stall for my bag of sweets.
Taking my place at the back of the BML saying hello to all the same faces.

Moving us has killed us and I will never forgive or forget them for it. I hope they rot in hell!
:cry:

I was looking forward to carrying on going for years & years like some of old fella's I'd knew in the EHWMC

They did the worse they could, a clueless pair of so called fans Cardiff Dave and 442 Dave

They got a Free stadium on the 3rd go,

-DL-
Match thread guru

Post by -DL- » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:30 pm

I try not to care, I try to be ambivalent - but I do care and I can't be. The only crumb of comfort I have, is that hopefully, I will still be here when these parasites have gone. I was here before they arrived, I plan, God willing, to be here once they sell up/die and go.

Every loss still hurts, every win puts a smile on my face, every point gained in a draw I think that point will help come end of season. That will never change.

West Ham United has been the only constant in my life since I was 3 years of age. I cannot just not care. I wish I could. Parents have died, partners, wives, have come and gone - but West Ham is still there, even if it's barely recognisable from the club it was back in mid 70's, even mid 2010's. But, the same applies to me - yet I'm still me.

The fire will never go out. As much as it hurts at times, as angry as it can make me feel, as ecstatic it can make me feel - I am West Ham and West Ham is me. It will never change, no matter what.

West Ham will only die if you let it. It's not bricks and cement, steel and concrete, it's not GSB, it's what's there in your heart, what makes you, it's part of you. It's not a football team - it's what runs through your veins. It's part of you.

lincolnhammer1963

Post by lincolnhammer1963 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:40 pm

Bloody hell DL I'm emotionally drained after reading that..
I can tell you love our club with everything you have
We all do. !!
That's why It bleeding hurts us all so much
Nearly brought me to tears the passion you have
I will try to keep the faith
COYI

Jon

Post by Jon » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:57 pm

I wonder if it's age related? Most things in life are more exciting when you're young.

Hard to get excited about a league with 12 teams trying to stay up. I'm amazed at the people who go every week like I once did. You're only chance of seeing football was to attend. Now you can watch every goal on your phone just after 5pm (so I'm told).

Rocketron

Re: Has my fire really gone wout ?

Post by Rocketron » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:20 pm

Harry_the_hammer wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:16 pm
KUMB, I don't mind admitting I am going to miss this place! I reckon for the last 10 years for every single one of those 365 days a year I have logged on to this site.

You don't have to leave us Harry.
I've spent more time on this site than I ever did at games.
This place is too funny to leave.

lincolnhammer1963

Post by lincolnhammer1963 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:34 am

Just thought I'd let you know.
Came down yesterday for my 1st game of the season
All of my doubts about my passion for WHU have now been confirmed

What a terrible experience I had.
Complete non event on the pitch
Terrible apathetic crowd around me
It's been 8 months since I last attended a game
I'm not sure how long it will be before I come again.

On a brighter note. I found myself feeling good about west brom winning.( I know how wrong is that )
Slaven getting one back at the GSB

We are a complete shambles of a football club

el pato

Post by el pato » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:56 pm

I have come to the conclusion that I am more a fan of football than i am of West Ham United. Over the past 3 seasons, i have attended more lower league games than i have West Ham games.Theres not much i like about this club anymore, i club i have supported since 1971.An occassional trip to see a Forest Green Rovers game, even if the quality of football is sometimes a bit iffy, always turns out to be a pleasant weekend, for not much more money than a trip to the bowl. Closer to home, an occasional game at Colchester , cheap, parking at the stadium, good enough for me.Give it a try, destress yourself

frankiemac

Post by frankiemac » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:07 pm

i miss the old place, and times question my own support, as in, why am i still going

i will also say i miss our crowd...the west ham i fell in love with had an edge, the fans had humour, passion and could go a bit the other way if it was going wonky for us...but it felt like a family

in my eyes, this had f*** all to do with bricks and mortar...

these days our support whinges, moans, sits on their hands and blames it all on the board or the stadium

what have we become?

we always had a **** board of directors and no ambition...we just got on with it

i firmly believe that when the day comes that our owners sell up, supporters will just find something else to whinge about

iLoveLasagne

Post by iLoveLasagne » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:39 pm

frankiemac wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:07 pm
i miss the old place, and times question my own support, as in, why am i still going

i will also say i miss our crowd...the west ham i fell in love with had an edge, the fans had humour, passion and could go a bit the other way if it was going wonky for us...but it felt like a family

in my eyes, this had **** all to do with bricks and mortar...

these days our support whinges, moans, sits on their hands and blames it all on the board or the stadium

what have we become?

we always had a **** board of directors and no ambition...we just got on with it

i firmly believe that when the day comes that our owners sell up, supporters will just find something else to whinge about
But we always had stuff we could cheer about too in the past.

chigwells finest
Location: desperately seeking redemption from this west ham misery

Post by chigwells finest » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:23 pm

we had hope, some heroes of distant past , even though Green St is a dump , i spent many a happy day there , so i enjoyed going back

we had all that at least

el pato

Post by el pato » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:42 pm

With the advent of the internet/ social media, perhaps we are allowing a game of football to impact to much upon oureveryday lives, i know i think i spend to much time on this board. But, if it wasn't this board, i,d probably be chatting ***** on some other topic online. I,ve just worried myself. :cry:

Upton Carp

Post by Upton Carp » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:27 pm

I went to Plymouth Argyle for the first time this year a couple of Saturdays back. There were 10,000 in the stands and it was pretty lively. A good game, albeit dominated by Argyl, but the atmosphere was great and the craic excellent. . I have not been to the toilet bowl (and I doubt I ever will) so I cannot compare, however, I went to plenty of games when we were at the Boleyn and TBH I thought the atmosphere at Home Park compared quite favoruably with UP's.

I have to admit that by living in darkest Cornwall the distance somehow makes the situation at WHUFC seem somewhat remote yet I still feel my dander rising whenever I think of those two scheming bar stewards. I think that with every game that goes by my once fanatical passion for West Ham dims a little bit, win or loose, and the game on Sunday nearly sent me over the edge. I can understand why some folks' enthusiasm is weakening and I think that until GSB get out there will be a lot more joining the army of the disillusioned.

:crest:

mushy

Post by mushy » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:26 pm

chigwells finest wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:23 pm
we had hope, some heroes of distant past , even though Green St is a dump , i spent many a happy day there , so i enjoyed going back

we had all that at least
Personally I dont think its a dump at all.
Dump or not, its still a 1000 times better then walking to the new place.

Adrianisournumber1

Post by Adrianisournumber1 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:04 pm

The thing is I don’t think my fire has just gone out for West Ham I think it’s the game all together that I’m finding nauseous, I tried Non league and still felt the same due to really bad refs and insane calls, went to one game and there was a ****ing sinbin.

I think VAR and over policing the game is killing it, money is killing every league in the country some of the money paid at Non league level Ryman league and bellow is staggering. I just kind of want the whole system to collapse and start again

Denbighammer

Post by Denbighammer » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:25 am

Some of you lot are terrible customers...