FAC4: West Ham Utd 0-1 West Bromwich Albion (25/01/20)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Re: West Ham United v West Bromwich Albion: FAC4R Match Thread

Post by sanchoz »

No time for West Brom's Slaven Bilic to dwell on sentiment
Slaven Bilic is synonymous with West Ham United.
The Albion boss became a Hammers icon for his towering displays at centre-half during the mid-1990s.

He then returned as manager in 2015 and went on to secure seventh and 11th-placed finishes in the Premier League.

A return to the club that gave him his chance to both play and manage in England is sure to be emotional for the 51-year-old – especially as the Hammers sacked him just over two years ago.

Bilic, though, knows he has too much on his plate with Albion to be reminiscing about the past.

Without a win in their last six league games, the Baggies may still be top of the Championship – but getting back to winning ways and securing promotion to the Premier League is the only aim for the head coach this season.

And that means tomorrow’s FA Cup fourth round tie is one that, in truth, the Baggies could do without.

Bilic, though, has some big decisions to make – especially with his side returning to Championship action at Cardiff on Tuesday.

On the one hand, a win at Premier League West Ham would give the squad a timely confidence boost.

But Bilic has said before he is concerned Albion’s hectic schedule is leading to fatigue which, in turn, leads to injury.

Against Charlton in the third round, the boss opted to make 11 changes to his starting line-up – with youngsters such as Dara O’Shea, Jack Fitzwater and Rekeem Harper all given match time.

It is highly likely he will make a raft of changes again, with players such as Jonathan Bond, Chris Brunt, Gareth Barry, Kyle Edwards and Charlie Austin all in need of minutes.

But Bilic also has decisions to make on how he will line up his charges tactically.

Pretty much throughout the entire season, the Baggies have lined up in a 4-2-3-1 system.

But there is a growing sense opposition teams have worked out how to play against them.

While new signings are one way to freshen up the team, a switch in formation could be another – especially as Albion will have to make do without influential duo Matheus Pereira and Grady Diangana for some time.

Pereira will serve the first of a three-game ban tomorrow after the FA decided to suspend him retrospectively for violent conduct following an incident with Stoke’s Joe Allen.

Diangana, meanwhile, will be out for at least a month after suffering a recurrence of his hamstring/back injury.

The Baggies have natural replacements in Filip Krovinovic and Kyle Edwards.

Chris Willock – who is still to make a first-team appearance since joining on loan from Benfica – and Rayhaan Tulloch have also impressed in attacking positions for the under-23s in recent months.

But if Bilic is planning on a formation change in the long term, it is again difficult to predict what he will do at the London Stadium tomorrow.

On the one hand, the game could be used to help his players familiarise themselves with the system.

On the other hand, the head coach may want to keep his cards close to his suggest so that any tactical shift comes as a surprise to Cardiff on Tuesday night.

Either way, the Baggies still need to put in a strong performance with 5,000 Albion fans making the journey to the Captial.

Regulations at the London Stadium mean the Baggies hierarchy had a choice of applying for 5,000 or 9,000 tickets ahead of the game.

The 5,000 sold out quickly.

But if Albion had taken 9,000 and not sold out, the club themselves would have had to foot the bill for any empty seat.

Nevertheless, Albion fans were in fantastic voice when they headed to London for the Cup clash with Charlton.

And it’s sure to be the same tomorrow.

Interestingly, it may be what happens after the game that has the biggest effect on Albion’s season.

Earlier this week, Hammers boss David Moyes says he expects Diangana to remain on loan at The Hawthorns for the rest of the season.

But there has been no official confirmation.

And maybe that is something Moyes and Bilic can sort out once and for all over a glass of wine at full-time.
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... sentiment/
El Brooko

Post by El Brooko »

Was really looking forward to this when I got my tickets but now it seems a bit meaningless.
But saying that I am sure by 1pm tomorrow will be fancying a nice little cup run and believe that we will be alright in the league eventually.

I have always said we should put out our strongest team in the cup as cup runs are great and our only chance of silverware.
That said with our injuries, number of games (from last weekend to Brighton) we need to be careful with the squad. We aren't gonna sign many players and need to try and get more out of what we have.

For me play Reid - we may need him in the league so start trying to get him some minutes. See where he is.
Antonio - Rest - almost tempted to save him for Brighton, (but probably wing back against Liverpool)
Lanzini - needs to play and try to find some form
Rice - Sad we are so dependent on a 21 year old so save for Liverpool/Brighton

Randolph
Zab Diop Reid Cresswell
Lanzini Sanchez Fornals Masuaku
Ajeti Haller

No subs.....

Same team maybe as a back 3 but don't like Zaba too far up the pitch
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Post by mushy »

I think 15 quid is the most I have ever spent on a reserve game.
Overchuffed
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Overchuffed »

Please take it seriously.....I'd rather go down and win the FA Cup than throw it and stay up (obviously chances of us winning the FA Cup are incredibly slim anyway but we've got to try!)

--------------------Randolph-------------------
------Diop------- Balbuena------ Ogbonna-----
Antonio---------------------------------------Cresswell
------------------Rice--------Noble----------------
---------------------Fornals-------------------------
------------Haller-----------Ajeti-----------------

Subs: Martin, Zabaleta, Snodgrass, Lanzini, Masuaku, Cardoso, Scully.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

I think he will pick

--------------------Randolph-------------------
-Zaba-----Diop------- Ogbonna------Cresswell

-Fornals----------Rice--------Noble--------Lanzini--------
---------------------------------------------
----------Haller-----------Ajeti-----------------
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by old fart »

iLoveLasagne wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:07 pm If there is a priority then that insinuates that the lesser priorities game is inconsequential as long as maximum focus is given to the more significant game. Players will be told to conserve energy, play conservatively etc...the tone will infiltrate into the subconscious of players.
Except those who may have a point to prove to the manager like maybe Forlans and Ajeti
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Masuaku is a danger to our team. Why, fitness permitting, are people actively proposing he should play?
London Fields Hammer
Has liked: 85 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by London Fields Hammer »

Give Rice, Ogbonna and Haller a rest.
We can't afford them to get injured and they need a break.
They are vital to our season (Haller has been poor, but we haven't got another striker).
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

prophet:marginal wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:44 pm Masuaku is a danger to our team. Why, fitness permitting, are people actively proposing he should play?
This witch hunt is getting ridiculous.

The poor guy gets blamed for everything. He'd get blamed for conceding a goal from the bench.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Noble in the Standard "and maybe a few of our lads will make their debuts."
tugboatpete69
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by tugboatpete69 »

I dont care who plays tomorrow its a totally irrelevant game we are in danger of getting relegated-fk the cup run they can bring back Roberto !!

people who should be playing are wiltshire reid balbuenna coventry (reid began as a right back) 2 up front its our only hope of survival play rice centre back and let someone else play def midfield

our next games
h liverpool-0-4
h brighton 1-1
a man city 1-3
a liverpool 0-5
h southampton 1-1
a arsenal - maybe a draw

start smelling the roses people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no transfers yet from the italian guardiolla????????? randolph doesnt count
keithwright1977

Post by keithwright1977 »

I would say let’s do a Liverpool and play our u23s, mind you it depends how embarrassing you want things to get
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

'No signings except the one but that one doesn't count because I'm so angry!!!!!!!!!!'

:lol:
Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 142 likes

Post by Jon »

Win the cup, get relegated? Stay up but no cup?

FA Cup :crest:
BMLGirl
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by BMLGirl »

S-H wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:23 am I hope West Ham fans don't chant Slavs name.

I loved him when he was here, but.. please don't.
Won’t be many real West Ham fans there, and certainly not many who remember the final year at the Boleyn so I don’t think you need to worry. Stadium will be full of tourists and families as per usual :evil:
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

If they throw this game it will be final straw. play our strongest team possible resting snoddy and noble maybe. the rest can play and give us something to cheer. a win may just wake us up. play the u23 and get done 4-0 and we are really in the doom and gloom.
next week sees Liverpool add to their goal difference before the real game against brighton. . ply the reserves against Liverpool and full strength against brighton but go for the cup , please west ham.

FA CUP and relegation all day over staying in the sky TV league.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

bonzosbeard wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:21 am That well may be but as a regular visitor to the Boleyn in the 70s 80s 90s and 2000s I've earned the right to go when I want.

I'm also bringing at least two people to their first game. Hopefully future fans.
:thup: Everyone has mate.

To be honest I generally prefer the cup crowds these days. Bit more optimism and wide eyed shock at the place.

Last year at Macclesfield we had four older folk sit next to us and at half time the ladies went off to Westfield and didn’t come back :lol:
e17

Post by e17 »

BMLGirl wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:53 pm Won’t be many real West Ham fans there
They’ll all be in the podium bar for a chat eh :wink:
e17

Post by e17 »

prophet:marginal wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:44 pm Masuaku is a danger to our team. Why, fitness permitting, are people actively proposing he should play?
Because I legit love him.

I don’t like most of our players.

But I love Arthur.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

thejackhammer wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:15 pm This witch hunt is getting ridiculous.

The poor guy gets blamed for everything. He'd get blamed for conceding a goal from the bench.
Witch hunt? lol

He's one of the least disciplined fullbacks I have ever watched.

As for being a 'poor guy', even metaphorically that's a load of old pony. He spat in a player's face, in our colours.

Should have been transfer-listed for that, but, no, the goblins have given him a longer deal.

Ridiculous state of affairs.