West Ham Utd 3-3 Brighton & Hove Albion (01/02/20)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Nesticles

Re: West Ham Utd v Brighton and Hove Albion match thread

Post by Nesticles »

What a lovely sucker punch that was.

Sleep easy GSB. ‘Serious financial consequences‘ incoming.
kenthammer1984
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by kenthammer1984 »

Why do we run out of steam so early? Are we the unfittest club in the league?

It’s crazy how quickly the players are blowing out of their arses!
southendmadhammer

Post by southendmadhammer »

Said I wouldnt go back again after the spurs game but there I was on GroundHog Day.

All on Moyes today. Should have been Fornals or Ajeti for Antonio.
Either way, this team isnt good enough to stay up.

Pleasure to meet UTJ for the first time today after frequenting this website for 16 years.
Last edited by southendmadhammer on Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

Irrons wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:15 pm We need to bring in a squad psychologist at this point. It's fast becoming Self-Harmers Utd

All we're watching now is a group of mentally weak and fragile players crumbling under the pressure
Isn't that down to David "I win football matches" Moyes to address ?
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Haller was better but despite better support I can’t recall him threatening a chance or setting someone else up for a good chance.

Noble has one of those games. Don’t recall seeing him trying to pick players up after they scored their second and the team needed leadership. I would have taken him off on 55 tbh.

Subs can look wrong in hindsight but Masuaku is probably the closest to Antonio that Moyes had on the bench. Perhaps if we’d signed Bowen 11 hours sooner then he’d have been the better option.

Whilst we were 2-0 up at half time it felt pretty workmanlike and didn’t see much creativity.

2 points dropped and, possibly more importantly, a psychological kick in the nuts for a team who clearly have zero confidence as it is. We’re going down.
Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 518 likes
Total likes: 219 likes

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch »

Irrons wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:22 pm Stopped reading there. Absolute b*llocks. The players lost the game, plain and simple. 3-1 up and we gift them a howler and it goes from there. His subs at 3-3 weren't good but dropping 2 points is 100% on the players and no-one else.

Stop deflecting the blame. Players in the squad who have a weak mentality are as follows:

Lanzini
Fredericks
Diop
Cresswell
Haller

All of them are prone to coasting/switching off/not giving 100% and pulling out of 50/50s. The premier league is not a league for coasters. We need 11 fighters on the pitch. If we could have 11 Robert Snodgrass's we'd be fine
Agree with all that, but you missed Masuaku off your list.
The worst culprit of them all.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

David Moyes Football Genius.
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

Hammer in Hornchurch wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:33 pm Agree with all that, but you missed Masuaku off your list.
The worst culprit of them all.
Sorry you're right, thought I'd sacked him for gross negligence already
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

The break can't come quick enough. We clearly don't have the legs so the best we can hope for is that a couple of weeks rest will revitalise them somewhat.

I think we'll look a different team going forward with Anderson back and bowen available.

As to what we do with our joke of a defence, I have no idea. This summer, we need 2 full backs and 2 centre backs. Enoughs enough.

I still think we'll stay up. Just.
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:52 pm Our back line isn't good enough, plain and simple. Unfortunately there's nothing we can do about it until the summer.

Noble needs a break. We need Snodgrass to take his position centrally and anderson, antonio, and bowen up there supporting haller.

Actually, scrap that, I'd play one of those three instead of haller.

We lack energy. We need a massive rebuild. 2 players isn't enough. We need several shipping out and replacing with younger more energetic models that are able to press properly.

Diop is not good enough. We can start by cashing in on him.

Your post and the below yours focus on individual players- Diop and Baller and say not good enough. But at other times they have played well. Lots of players - especially younger / newer ones go through periods of losing form. A big part of the problem is that we aren't really able to take them out of the firing line for a bit - because the squad is so thin.
Last edited by upton o'good on Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

Believer wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:32 pm Isn't that down to David "I win football matches" Moyes to address ?
We were winning 3-1 and comfortably so despite an attempt to let them back into the game right after half time. Have you watched their second goal? How is it David Moyes fault that 5....YES FIVE....of his outfield defenders conspire to gift them an equaliser (Cresswell->Masuaku->Ogbonna->Diop->Fabianski) with the performance of a bunch of clowns???

Please enlighten me, I've got all night
Last edited by Irrons on Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

Sloop John B wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:29 pm Spot on. Cant understand how Moyes was negative. First half we looked more balanced than we have in ages. He brings on two attacking midfielders.

Might have gone for Fornals for Antonio myself...but they were having a lot of joy down our left so bringing Masuaku makes sense. Just happened that he totally let his gaffer down today.
Masuaku is and always has been useless. He has the odd moment of magic but he is neithe a defender or a winger. He is a waste of a bench place. He killed that game for us today.

Personally, after spitting at an opponent I wouldn't of let him near a West Ham shirt ever again !
keithwright1977

Post by keithwright1977 »

Was the 2 points lost worth more or less than the transfer wrangling with Jarrod Bowen, it was a must win today so god knows what that result means. We’ve got an impossible run coming up and might end up needing other results to go our way😭
Rasp
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rasp »

Just got in, has anyone seen the VAR replay, a lot of very displeased fans around us....
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Noble wasn't the same after he got clattered. He should have been hooked then.

To concede the goals we did in the manner we did is testament to just how bad we are.

As much as Halle frustrates the f*** out of me, he is not a back to goal striker. No one today ran past him. No one.

As for the handball? It was not conclusive and shouldn't have been given.

This has all got the feel of Avram Grant. We're down.
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

Rasp wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:38 pm Just got in, has anyone seen the VAR replay, a lot of very displeased fans around us....
It wasn’t hand ball
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

I thought we were poor today despite being 2-0 and 3-1 up. Not really created anything through good play, but all through set pieces and lucky bounces and deflections whereas Brighton were stroking it around nicely and could have been easily up 2-3 goals before we scored. In the last 10 minutes it was embarrassing as we couldn't get the ball at all. Very worrying signs.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

kenthammer1984 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:31 pm Why do we run out of steam so early? Are we the unfittest club in the league?

It’s crazy how quickly the players are blowing out of their arses!
No coaches, especially the complete absence of a fitness coach. I've said it before and I'll say it again. What is required is an Army physical fitness instructor to get the players fit and I doubt they would even charge to do it either
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:31 pm Lovely ping-ping-ping move down the right before Noble's comedy air kick. If that had gone in, we'd have won with a swagger.

Interesting how the pro-Moyes posters put this one down to the players, by the way.
I’m as anti Moyes as they come but put this down to VAR and taking off Antonio.
MK-Hammer
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 133 likes

Post by MK-Hammer »

Poor game management and not doing the basics cost us 2 points today.
You should expect professional players and Moyes to be able to manage the last 30 mins with our 2 goal lead.

We needed to play keep ball in the middle of the park ...make them chase the game....By bringing Masuaku on you know he’s going to give the ball away a lot cause that’s what he does on a regular basis....it was his attempted pass that led to the mix up for their second goal ....Moyes should have bought on Fornals for Antonio ...to keep the shape ....and the threat out wide.

And as Snodgrass Noble & the new guy tired in midfield in the last 15 ...bring on guys who would manage the possession... like Zabaleta and an extra defender in Balbuena....Lanzini gets brushed off the ball too easily and gives the ball away too much to be the person to bring on to manage a game out.

Of course we can’t legislate for the defending that led to their goals ....but we should be able to play enough possession football to make Brighton chase the ball & not put ourselves in the situations that led to the defensive mistakes that cost us the win today.