West Ham Utd 3-3 Brighton & Hove Albion (01/02/20)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Westferry Iron

Re: West Ham Utd v Brighton and Hove Albion match thread

Post by Westferry Iron »

Caniggia90 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:32 am Fair play, you've seen it 95 more times than me. I feel your pain cause yeah rice and Antonio's goals being struck off was beyond belief. The joys of supporting us eh!
That's where we are, watching var over and over because we're pony...law of averages it shouldn't make any difference!

Mate, I'm just seriously hacked off, I hated leaving Upton Park, can't stand the muppets running the club but thought well, maybe after a few seasons they'll work it out. Not ****ing likely...relegation battle once again and for what? To sit in that hole and be pissed about by ghosts behind var screens? So GSB can pay half rent in the Championship? C**s

I had to look the other way walking out today because I'd rather not end up in trouble.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

For me VAR got it right. I was hoping that they would still go with the refs call but alas it wasn't to be.
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 298 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

If I were complaining about VAR not calling off a goal it would be the 1st. That seems a clear grab of the keeper's arm.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Cellar-door wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:46 am If I were complaining about VAR not calling off a goal it would be the 1st. That seems a clear grab of the keeper's arm.
A corner for us in the first half, Haller starts his run on the edge of the 18 yard box and I'm sure the defender holds on to him all the way in to the six yard box

Did anyone else see that? I thought VAR would have spotted that.
Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Humbug »

We looked like we had played 4 games in 10 days and unfortunately we did run out of gas in the 2nd half. Doesn't help when we have a statuesque front man, a legless Noble and a tiring Snodgrass (the only one with any crossing and shooting ability apart from Antonio). Fab goal was a foul and unfortunately their 2nd goal was caused by 2 mistakes in a row from our most brainless defenders, Masuaku and Diop. Murray and his teammates must have begged Potter to play him against us because he seems to up his game 100% and imho , he looked a better front man at 36 (or is it 37) than 45m Haller.

Lucky to have got a point in the end because Fab produced some fantastic saves.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Honestly. Handball yes, handball no.
Who cares.
If they hadn't scored then they would have scored after it
We got Moysed
Paolo's Piranhas

Post by Paolo's Piranhas »

Up the Junction wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:16 am From my vantage point, close to the directors' box, we thought he was asking to come back on...
It's an audacious approach, I like it.

Westferry Iron

Post by Westferry Iron »

There was a passage of play just before he was subbed where Ant ran from the half way line to the box and just missed a very decent chance.. in the same time it took Haller to look left and move 10 paces...just sayin'
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Genuinely can’t believe the amount of vitriol aimed at Masuaku. I think there’s only one man who can be blamed for that result and that’s Moyes. Brighton looked like they had absolutely nothing after they scored their first, until Moyes made that tactical change. Went to 5 at the back, without any outlet, and invited the pressure onto us. Granted, he can’t be held accountable for terrible individual mistakes, but he can be accountable for setting the team up like that and for those players to be put into that position. One thing he can’t do is keep swapping formations; players need consistency and the best teams have consistency. I believe the only time a manager should change a formation is if the team is chasing a game; it’s much easier to make that change to go more attacking than it is to go more defensive. We were very comfortable in that game and he changed it. Why not carry on being comfortable? I believe that was a must-win game and we didn’t do that. I think we’re gone.
Caniggia90

Post by Caniggia90 »

Westferry Iron wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:43 am That's where we are, watching var over and over because we're pony...law of averages it shouldn't make any difference!

Mate, I'm just seriously hacked off, I hated leaving Upton Park, can't stand the muppets running the club but thought well, maybe after a few seasons they'll work it out. Not ****ing likely...relegation battle once again and for what? To sit in that hole and be pissed about by ghosts behind var screens? So GSB can pay half rent in the Championship? C**s

I had to look the other way walking out today because I'd rather not end up in trouble.
I just can't bring myself to go to that ground. The Boleyn for all its faults (and yes there were many) was ours. West ham is just becoming a fond memory for me, my son is 5 and I always dreamt I'd take my offspring to Upton park, but I'm now not bothered if he gives football a complete swerve. Var, the premier League, GSB it's all turned sh**, but I'll keep attending the protests, just in the vein hope it will get good again. Just can't see how anymore. The villa park semi final to me was what supporting west ham was all about. The happy Hammers even in defeat. Maybe it's my age but footy ain't what it used to be. Keep smiling mate.
Crouchend_Hammer

Bang on Al
3-1 up and you try and you from 4 at the back to 5 whilst takig off the only outlet

Anyone who has ever played as a defender knows you need consistency

Don't get me wrong, the individual errors for the goals was awful (Diop in particular) but just keep attacking. We could have gone on and got another one
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:29 am but just keep attacking. We could have gone on and got another one
Don’t make a monumental f*** up for the 2nd goal and Brighton probably wouldn’t have had more than one anyway. I really don’t know how you can rave about Brighton and their performance. They are ***** and we had them beat at 3-1. The 2nd goal came from absolute stupidity. Don’t give them that and we probably would’ve got another. We could’ve had a 4th before that.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:42 am Don’t make a monumental **** up for the 2nd goal and Brighton probably wouldn’t have had more than one anyway. I really don’t know how you can rave about Brighton and their performance. They are ***** and we had them beat at 3-1. The 2nd goal came from absolute stupidity. Don’t give them that and we probably would’ve got another. We could’ve had a 4th before that.
But of composure and we could have picked them off in the break. Anderson is a big miss in that regard
Crouchend_Hammer

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:42 am Don’t make a monumental **** up for the 2nd goal and Brighton probably wouldn’t have had more than one anyway. I really don’t know how you can rave about Brighton and their performance. They are ***** and we had them beat at 3-1. The 2nd goal came from absolute stupidity. Don’t give them that and we probably would’ve got another. We could’ve had a 4th before that.
3-1 up. A little bit undeservedly in my opinion but hehe ho.
One player who is stretching them and keeping them honest whilst another bloke lumbering about
Back four working reasonably well.

I know. Here is a good idea.
Let's take off the only player giving them any problems
The pleyer who is running up and down. Across the channels. Holding the long ball up and moving it on

Let's go from a fairly solid four at the back to a five. With no outlet except some random bloke from Frankfurt who fancies a run aaround.

Let's cede possession more than we did before

What's that you say?

3-3? Oh yes

Should have been 3-4

Thanks Dave, you winner
fandabidicksy
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by fandabidicksy »

I don’t post much.
I’m West Ham and I’ve seen enough over the years to know that the glass is half empty rather than half full.
But I still like to look on us with a glass half full.
Isn’t that what being West Ham is all about?
I love my club, I loved it before I met my Mrs and had children and I’ll love them till the day I exit but for the life of me it’s trying.
I hold my hands up I have never been to the new stadium, I cannot bring myself to do it. But it doesn’t stop me from the willing and the hope of getting 3 points, and we gave up 2 of them today.
We had poor possession, but we were 3-1 up. In those circumstances I couldn’t give a flying one, we were winning and that’s all that mattered.
Imagine being an oppo player and seeing the best outlet of the home team being taken off? Think about the confidence that would give you.
I do not care if Antonio was blowing out of his arse, let him blow out of his arse a little longer. Man City and Liverpool are not as winnable games as this one and he should’ve stayed on the pitch.
To take him off was sacrilege and gave the impetus to Brighton.

Moyes made the sub but should’ve made Arthur stay above the halfway line, he is not a defender, let him carry the ball further up the pitch, Brighton cannot score when it’s up their end.

We capitulated when Mic went off, invited them on and they got there reward.

2nd and 3rd goal no arguments just schoolboy errors but the 1st goal fabianski was clearly impeded, but then why wasn’t one of our players shielding the keeper? Or why didn’t var intervene?

This is my problem with going to var. It has not improved the game or levelled out the playing field. It is a decision that is not conclusive, it’s basically a ref making the call from a bedsit in West London or wherever it is.

The game of football is played at a constant. It is not tennis, cricket or rugby. Three sports where video is prevalent but games with multiple stoppages and with clear derivatives on the rules.
Var in football is so open to interpretation and can never be defining. A computer is not deciding the outcome but another human is looking at a screen and making a human call on a decision.
Football is football and the beauty has always been that a decision by the referee in the premier league had the same bearing as a decision on hackney marshes on a Sunday morning.

Why piss ball about with it? Take the rough decisions and take the touches you get.

I could bang on about it for more and more paragraphs but what’s the point.
I watched my team today throw away a 2 goal cushion that was entirely preventable.
I’m gutted for everyone who supports this great club, I don’t and have never cared if we are relegated, I’ll support West Ham in the conference, so be it but there needs to be the will to fight for survival.
Teams need half a dozen snodgrasses or Antonio’s. Not powder puff primas expecting to win rather than grafting for it.

We left the Boleyn for this.....

We didn’t need to. We could’ve still been a bit pony, but where we belonged.

I don’t know if my post has made any sense, it’s half 2 in the morning.

Survive? Happy days
Relegation? Not so happy but take it on the chin and rebuild.

Up the Hammers
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 298 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

They had 66% of the possession and 19 shots, that is a lot of possession and a lot of shots. Dominating both possession and shots usually (but not always) leads to goals and points. Brighton was not great, but when we gave them an opportunity of not having to worry about defense they took advantage.

Of those 19 shots, 11 came in the first 75 minutes. 8 came in the last 15 + stoppage after we made tactical changes. 6 shots on target, including multiple tough saves from Fab. Yes some of their goals were fluky (though so were both of Snodgrass' goals) but once Moyes turned off the engine they thoroughly dominated us in terms of possession and chances. We had 12 shots.... all 12 in the first 75.

Just think about that. Our 12th shot came in the 70th minute. In the 74th Antonio came off and we went to a far more defensive setup. Brighton proceeded to have almost all the possession and get off 8 shots to our 0.
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

fandabidicksy wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:43 am 2nd and 3rd goal no arguments just schoolboy errors but the 1st goal fabianski was clearly impeded, but then why wasn’t one of our players shielding the keeper? Or why didn’t var intervene?
This 100%. Literally only had one arm free, thanks to GFM.
Great post fandab :thup:
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3084 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

We gave up the impetus. Even before Antonio was removed, we had withdrawn to protect the two-goal lead. At one point, Haller went left wing to protect Cresswell and leaving Antonio up alone.

But we had decided not to push on. Soucek became a deep third midfielder, not through tiredness but direction. Noble was blowing by about 60 minutes and remained on the pitch. Soucek may have been tired, but so was Noble and Soucek offered more at both ends of the pitch.

Antonio could have lasted another 5-10 minutes, he was going to be used in bursts. Even being cautious, the choice was either Lanzini or Fornals to come on and play close to Haller, make runs and hold the ball. Instead he went even more defensive and muddled the system. That second goal doesn't happen in a back four, not only cos Masuaku wouldn't have been there, it would have been the much more cautious Cresswell banging it clear, but it also put seeds of doubt in Ogbonna and Diop. I blame Oggy for the goal more than Diop.

As I said in my match report, West Ham shot themselves in the foot but Moyes loaded the gun. Sit deep and you're allowing your defence to be under pressure. Under more pressure, you're more given more opportunity for error.

He didn't do anything to counter how we lost momentum, instead he appeared to give in to it.

Then his late subs were all wrong. It should have been Noble, 100%. But if it was Soucek, it could not be Snodgrass too. We had offered threat on set pieces and needed that ability left in the side.

People give Haller stick, but he combined well with his runners throughout the game. When they went off, he became isolated and looked poor again. Lanzini and Fornals came on and looked poor, but they were coming into a situation where they were somehow expected to turn a panicked team who had been sitting back and clinging on into one that took over and scored a winner. It was foolish.

So individual errors were a big problem, for every goal (Masuaku came on and was at fault in both) but you give the opportunity to happen and it's more likely they will
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

Very disappointing result. 3:1 up and cruising and it felt like a loss afterwards.

My mate is on crutches after having his ACL done and the stewards kindly opened all the gates for us so we could sit in the disabled bit on the half way line. The crutches will now be a permanent fixture for us week in week out
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I thought right, might as well watch the highlights on MOTD re-run this morning, but overslept and missed it