Manchester City 2-0 West Ham Utd (19/02/20)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2497 likes
Total likes: 4396 likes

Re: ⚽ Manchester City v West Ham United:Match thread (19/02)

Post by bubbles1966 »

spod wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:11 am A bit weird, people saying it's a good time to play City.
A clear case of clutching at straws.
Logically, they would play far harder if they were in the race for the league - but they're not.
Logically, they would play far harder if they were chasing a Champions league place - but maybe they're not.
Logically, they would play far harder if they didn't have Real Madrid a week later, in what might be their only stab at the CL until 2023 - but they do.

We have our best, recently reinforced team fully fit.

None of this means we win or draw for sure - we could end up getting mullahed - but it's a relatively benign set of circumstances for what's often a horror show.

I'd be surprised to see them risk anyone who wasn't 100%, knowing that they play Real Madrid seven days later and a cup final a few days after that.

I'd be very disappointed if we gave them a 0-4 or 0-5 under this set of circumstances. We really should be expecting our lot to be competitive and give them a bit of a game.
DM
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by DM »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:47 pm Logically, they would play far harder if they were in the race for the league - but they're not.
Logically, they would play far harder if they were chasing a Champions league place - but maybe they're not.
Logically, they would play far harder if they didn't have Real Madrid a week later, in what might be their only stab at the CL until 2023 - but they do.

None of this means we win or draw for sure - we could end up getting mullahed - but it's a relatively benign set of circumstances for what's often a horror show.

I'd be surprised to see them risk anyone who wasn't 100%, knowing that they play Real Madrid seven days later and a cup final a few days after that.

I'd be very disappointed if we gave them a 0-4 or 0-5 under this set of circumstances.
Since when did logic and West Ham exist in the same universe? Though you have a good point, well made. 2-0 to The Hammers it is then :scarfer:
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 522 likes
Total likes: 1318 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Just heard Manchester United fans singing about Chelsea Rent Boys.

I’m assuming there’ll be same complaints about homophobic chanting?
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:41 pm Just heard Manchester United fans singing about Chelsea Rent Boys.

Yep, certainly seems to be.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Post by vietnammer »

If we get so much as a draw the papers will be full of the 'crisis' at Man City
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

we wont get anything other than a thumping defeat. they are too good too professional too fit too committed for our part time players.

zabaleta talking the rubbish this time about being positive and going up there . just wish they would say nothing until after the match.

not long until moyes has another must win game against Southampton this time. he failed it last time !
asters89
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by asters89 »

Not going to say this is a free hit. A confidence sapping battering is bad news in the context of what we need to achieve for the rest of the season.

We have tended to fair less badly up at the Etihad than at home in past seasons. The last time we took a real pasting up there was in the league cup in 2014.

Keep it tight and try to nick something.
Heysel76
Has liked: 215 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:41 pm Just heard Manchester United fans singing about Chelsea Rent Boys.

IT'S NOT BEING INVESTIGATED
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

According to Hammers News.....

West Ham predicted team to face Man City:

Fabianski, Fredericks, Diop, Ogbonna, Cresswell, Rice, Soucek, Snodgrass, Bowen, Antonio, Haller.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Ironing Board wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:22 pm According to Hammers News.....

Fabianski, Fredericks, Diop, Ogbonna, Cresswell, Rice, Soucek, Snodgrass, Bowen, Antonio, Haller.
Tactics:- Charge !!
e17
Has liked: 291 likes
Total likes: 975 likes

Post by e17 »

Puff Daddy wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:45 pm Tactics:- Charge !!
Have you ever watched this manager’s teams away from home?

“Charge” :lol:
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Post by dodger »

Ironing Board wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:22 pm According to Hammers News.....

That’s what I’d like to see, but I doubt it will be that. Reckon Moyes will go with Noble instead of Bowen.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

dodger wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:52 pm That’s what I’d like to see, but I doubt it will be that. Reckon Moyes will go with Noble instead of Bowen.
Don't see why he would. He dropped Noble before as he wanted 'more mobility' in the centre of the park. And he is a lot less mobile now than he was back then!

Not only that, but he is no longer having the influence he used to. At the very least there is a strong case that we should give him a rest.
e17
Has liked: 291 likes
Total likes: 975 likes

Post by e17 »

You’re all living in dream land if you think he’ll drop Lanzini
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2184 likes
Total likes: 1381 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

I enjoyed our start against Brighton and having a new debutant. Yes it went pear shaped but looking forward to seeing Bowen make his start.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

e17 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:03 pm You’re all living in dream land if you think he’ll drop Lanzini
Nobody has a divine right to play. You make it sound like he will never change his team or shuffle the pack!
Depressed Hammer

Post by Depressed Hammer »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:47 pm Logically, they would play far harder if they were in the race for the league - but they're not.

I'd be very disappointed if we gave them a 0-4 or 0-5 under this set of circumstances. We really should be expecting our lot to be competitive and give them a bit of a game.
Good points and totally agree about the time to play them. But lets not forget they are one of the best teams in the world and if they click they can put a handful of goals past any team.
My concern about the game is that when they got beat by Spurs they hit the woodwork twice , missed a penalty and squandered some great chances to score. You just know against us they are going to put away more chances.
Depressed Hammer

Post by Depressed Hammer »

Lets all keep our fingers crossed we dont try and play out from defense otherwise it could get real ugly.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

we need to play long to Antonio and bowen when we can. this doesn't mean bypassing midfield but we must look and hit early the front two`s runs. hope they get hold of it and someone can get up in support.

expecting the worst tonight. they are too professional and much fitter than our lazy overpaid wasters. they will want it more and they have much better players in every position .

moyes hinting he wont start bowen so likely to be haller and Antonio up top.

I wouldn't start haller noble or lanzini but you know moyes will !

city 6 hammers 0

onto anfield for another thrashing !
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

This is a simple assignment.

We have to play with 100% defensive shape and determination, from the front to the keeper.

We have to trust our younger players, because the 30+ year olds will not have the running in their legs to deal with our defensive needs.

A 0-0 tonight is akin to a victory.