Possible Takeover Bid ?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

sutts07

Re: Possible Takeover Bid ?

Post by sutts07 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:32 pm

SEAHammer wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:03 pm
The current 'owners' the government are losing huge amounts of money, what on earth makes you think West ham would do better?
It costs them a huge amount of money to keep moving the seats, we wouldn’t have to move them if we owned it.
They are missing out on money from a naming rights deal, we would inevitably have one in place.

Those two factors alone would see the stadium move close to a break even position.

As for the notion that it can’t be adapted. That’s absolutely not true. There are many issues and obstacles but it absolutely can be adapted. The two main components needed are of course money and desire or willingness to change it. The current owners do not have enough of either.

Assuming we did end up with an owner who had the money and ambition, we’d still need to own it outright with full permission to remove the track and do away with any athletics legacy first and foremost.

We could then look at ways to either dig down and add a new lower tier (contaminated land and water table being an issue although not a show stopped here), or dismantle and rebuild it bit by bit, moving each side closer to the pitch from the ground up. Russians did this with the Luznicki.

Doing the later and keeping the sight lines within regulation would see you have a sizeable gap between the back of each stand and the outer surround of the stadium, although that could easily be filled with bars, restaurants, hotels rooms, conference suites etc... not too dissimilar to the O2 which has a ring of bars and restaurants around the outside of the arena but remains under one roof.

The roof could even be extended further too if it was really needed... Truth is, it can all be done, just that it would take an incredible amount of money to do it and at some point you have to ask if it would be better to just knock it down and start from scratch.

It’s a little bit like having a detached house and deciding that you are going to put a double extension across the front and the back and then along both sides then adding a new roof too... it may be cheaper to flatten the house you have and then build your dream home from scratch whilst you rent for a year or two.

bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:55 pm

Three observations:

Rebuilding the stadium where it is - will that get rid of stop and search/stop and go/the howling wind as you trudge there all through the autumn and winter? Is the stadium even the biggest problem?

Spurs owning their stadium and making a profit - Spurs essentially rent; they have an interest only mortgage on the place, and their profitability will go through the floor if they drop out of the Champions league.

Alternatives? Wanstead Flats and especially Fairlop are two. Fairlop has two central line stations nearby and is a short dash from the A12. And then there's the old Ford stadium and the adjacent land - British rail and the Central line. It runs straight off the A12 as well.

Beavis Danzig

Post by Beavis Danzig » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:24 pm

did the site north of the train tracks near the old gasworks by west ham station get sold off aswell?

e17

Post by e17 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:50 pm

bubbles1966 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:55 pm
Alternatives? Wanstead Flats and especially Fairlop are two. Fairlop has two central line stations nearby and is a short dash from the A12. And then there's the old Ford stadium and the adjacent land - British rail and the Central line. It runs straight off the A12 as well.
Redbridge and Waltham Forest councils + G&S?

Think that might be interesting. They’re a bit tougher than Newham

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Post by Colours never run » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:55 pm

aaronhammer wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:00 am
I know it's completely different but I always think about how the Millennium Domewas transformed to the o2. Surely something similar could happen with the London Stadium with the right investment. Build permanent stands near to the pitch and have covered concourses (potentially more corporate offerings too). The biggest issue would be the roof which wouldn't cover all the seats in the lower tiers.
That's been my long held view too. It's the only plausible solution I can think could work, if the structure absolutely has to stay. Ideally it gets bulldozed or start again elsewhere but I'd take it, just as long as they cast iron guarantee it's done properly... Yeah,I know. :phew:

e17

Post by e17 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:00 pm

It’s not and never has been the location. It could have been a very decent place to play.

It’s the entire matchday experience, the lack of anything WHU related from Stratford station, the feeling of being cattle scum when leaving, the feeling of being the biggest shop in Westfield while being despised by Westfield.

It’s testament of the ownerships standing in the neighbourhood, with local business and with local council.

They’ve made us an invasive species.

MrHammer73

Post by MrHammer73 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:38 pm

What gets me about the stadium move is the sheer incompetency of it. Now if G&S were sensible owners, they would have had an contingency plan.

That would be checking out Stadium before we moved in and see if it was football ready as promised. It wasn't because of retractable seats fiasco. Sensible caring owners would say we wont be moving until this is sorted. We stay at Upton Park until when and if it is sorted. But they were so quick to sell and bulldoze The Bolyen. Would it had made a difference to their vast fortunes if they kept Upton Park for another year as a contingency? I think not so that's why they have to go for their greed and incompetence.

What would have the government done if we didn't move to the Olympic Stadium? It's a white elephant for a football stadium. So they could do nothing.

bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:41 pm

Beavis Danzig wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:24 pm
did the site north of the train tracks near the old gasworks by west ham station get sold off aswell?
The old Parcelforce site?

https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/forme ... 000-homes/

Boooogers!

Post by Boooogers! » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:48 pm

I was watching old reruns of "til death do us part" on the old Youtubes the other day. I think Alf Garnett may provide a cunning solution to the OS problem, some 35 years later... Hear me out...

Fill the gaps down the sides and behind the goals with a couple of thousand wheelchairs. The club could provide them with claret and blue blankets/ponchos to keep the weather off 'em and it would significantly close the gaps between the stands and the pitch as well as improving the atmosphere. There wouldn't be any issues with view obstruction as none of them will be standing up during games (unless Alf Garnett returns from the grave).

Brown Sauce

Post by Brown Sauce » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:24 pm

I love the idea of building up instead of down.
Take the roof off, gut the inside and raise the pitch by 10ft.

Beavis Danzig

Post by Beavis Danzig » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:49 pm

bubbles1966 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:41 pm
The old Parcelforce site?

https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/forme ... 000-homes/
yeah i know that went, i was talking about the patch just north of it across the train tracks. doesn't seem to be part of this development at least.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:00 pm

I have been following this thread and it seems to me more wishful thinking than actual 'take over'. Whoever may be successful in ' taking us over' will be only those seeking a profitable return!!! Do you disagree?

I must admit, that personally, I see no profitable return in buying us for several million and investing several million in stadium and players etc.

That is also speculating, that GSB would sell us to a 'reputable' and cash rich buyer.

So.… lets be sensible, big ask I know, are we better off selling or getting our current boards to deliver?

Now, before the obvious and expected 'f*ck em', 'don't care', 'lets set up a new club' etc. etc., what would be acceptable?

SEAHammer

Post by SEAHammer » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:05 pm

Mega Ron wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:41 pm
The two main reasons the stadium loses money are:

1) moving the seats for events
2) our peppercorn rent. We pay £2.5m pa and it costs much, much more than that to put on our games.
How does that help? If we want to hold events we will still have to pay to move the seats, not only will we not receive 2.5m in rent (it's more now by he way) we will also have to pay to put on our own games, do you think we will get the same large discounts that the current massive management company gets? every supplier will screw us into the ground.

The Olympic Stadium is a massive white elephant, it simply CAN NOT be converted into a football stadium, 274m (feckin' crazy) was spent converting it from the OS to the LS anyone know where that money all went ... you could spend another 274m and it would still be a running track, even with no running track.

The problem is a pitch/track area that means the main stands start 10's of metres from the pitch, the rake of the stands mean that you simply can't bring the lower tier closer without creating an even bigger 'gap' .... the stands simply don't work without lowering the pitch, that perhaps is an option but it still would leave the upper tiers needing binoculars. Knock the feckin' thing down.

bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:13 pm

sutts07 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:32 pm
As for the notion that it can’t be adapted. That’s absolutely not true. There are many issues and obstacles but it absolutely can be adapted. The two main components needed are of course money and desire or willingness to change it. The current owners do not have enough of either.

Assuming we did end up with an owner who had the money and ambition, we’d still need to own it outright with full permission to remove the track and do away with any athletics legacy first and foremost.

We could then look at ways to either dig down and add a new lower tier (contaminated land and water table being an issue although not a show stopped here), or dismantle and rebuild it bit by bit, moving each side closer to the pitch from the ground up. Russians did this with the Luznicki.

Doing the later and keeping the sight lines within regulation would see you have a sizeable gap between the back of each stand and the outer surround of the stadium, although that could easily be filled with bars, restaurants, hotels rooms, conference suites etc... not too dissimilar to the O2 which has a ring of bars and restaurants around the outside of the arena but remains under one roof.

The roof could even be extended further too if it was really needed... Truth is, it can all be done, just that it would take an incredible amount of money to do it and at some point you have to ask if it would be better to just knock it down and start from scratch.

It’s a little bit like having a detached house and deciding that you are going to put a double extension across the front and the back and then along both sides then adding a new roof too... it may be cheaper to flatten the house you have and then build your dream home from scratch whilst you rent for a year or two.
I agree that it is perfectly doable if the will is there and the nonsensical athletics legacy can be paid off/moved.

Writing off the back rows of the upper tier as spectator seats and relocating them to the front of the stand and re-configuring the gradient of the stand would probably enable it.

Intrigued to see that this new seating lot installed a 15,000 seat 'solution' in 56 days for the Joshua-Ruiz rematch according to the blurb on their site.

My fag packet estimate is that there are no more than a total of 8,000 seats in the lower tiers behind the goals at Stratford.

Gsbgsb

Post by Gsbgsb » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:36 am

e17 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:00 pm
It’s not and never has been the location. It could have been a very decent place to play.

It’s the entire matchday experience, the lack of anything WHU related from Stratford station, the feeling of being cattle scum when leaving, the feeling of being the biggest shop in Westfield while being despised by Westfield.

It’s testament of the ownerships standing in the neighbourhood, with local business and with local council.

They’ve made us an invasive species.
Not sure we are “despised by Westfield” to any great degree.

Westfield is not an issue pre game. Plenty of fans in the bars and restaurants. Post game you can sort of understand why they do not suddenly want 40000 plus people using it as a thoroughfare to the tube. Can still get in though if you want to go to the bars or shops just need to go in via one of the main entrances.

Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"

Post by Wilko1304 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:39 am

That picture only tells a story of what you do with what is currently there. Hypothetical billionaires could use the shell of the stadium, build shops, hotels, bars inside it, put in actual football stands over them with a higher rake, make a stadium. But it isn't anything we're ever likely to see. We were mugged off going into that place, it was the new O2 Millennium Dome and we believed the hype.

Do we own the land for Rush Green and Chadwell Heath?

pezza20

Post by pezza20 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:55 am

2 choices, retain the OS for 2 years and build a purpose built football stadium whilst we continue to play our games at the OS

or rent a ground elsewhere whilst the new ground is built or the OS is owned and we knock the ****er down.

I still can not for the life of me understand why after 2 years they have not been able to 'West Haminize' the walk up to the stadium. They could have involved the old stall holders and Nathans etc to run pop up restaurants akin to lorry stop franchises all the way up there creating a buzz before you go in.

westham,eggyandchips

Post by westham,eggyandchips » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:23 am

pezza20 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:55 am

I still can not for the life of me understand why after 2 years they have not been able to 'West Haminize' the walk up to the stadium. They could have involved the old stall holders and Nathans etc to run pop up restaurants akin to lorry stop franchises all the way up there creating a buzz before you go in.
The simple answer and most obvious reason is because the damn thing isnt ours. So the surrounding area and the inside of this thing is completely out of our control.

Oldammer

Post by Oldammer » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:36 am

With regards to the stadium, I thought the government(taxpayer) spent around 320 million pounds to 'convert' the stadium for football.

What was the money actually spent on?

It's fair to say that it is now universally agreed that the one thing the stadium, in it's present state, is not fit for, is football. WHY?

Where did all that money go? If 320 million pounds has been wasted already, how much more will it cost to make it a football stadium?

Aceface

Post by Aceface » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:58 am

Diogenes wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:00 pm
I have been following this thread and it seems to me more wishful thinking than actual 'take over'.
What it really needs is "Brendan Rodgers – wrong choice" added to the title then we'll be humming.