Possible Takeover Bid ?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Mega Ron

Re: Possible Takeover Bid ?

Post by Mega Ron » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:26 am

SEAHammer wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:05 pm
How does that help? If we want to hold events we will still have to pay to move the seats, not only will we not receive 2.5m in rent (it's more now by he way) we will also have to pay to put on our own games, do you think we will get the same large discounts that the current massive management company gets? every supplier will screw us into the ground.

The Olympic Stadium is a massive white elephant, it simply CAN NOT be converted into a football stadium, 274m (feckin' crazy) was spent converting it from the OS to the LS anyone know where that money all went ... you could spend another 274m and it would still be a running track, even with no running track.

The problem is a pitch/track area that means the main stands start 10's of metres from the pitch, the rake of the stands mean that you simply can't bring the lower tier closer without creating an even bigger 'gap' .... the stands simply don't work without lowering the pitch, that perhaps is an option but it still would leave the upper tiers needing binoculars. Knock the feckin' thing down.

The seats need to be moved for athletics. Get rid of athletics and 1 of the 2 main costs is gone.

If the club owned the place the other main losses for the state are gone, in that we are the other main loss.

szola

Post by szola » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:56 pm

The athletics will be moved on. It is simply too expensive.
That will be the moment when we'll be sold.

The Old Man of Storr

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:33 pm

szola wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:56 pm
The athletics will be moved on. It is simply too expensive.
That will be the moment when we'll be sold.

A thought just came to my head [ I know I know ] -

The training ground is below standard right ?

Why not get the players running round the Athletics Track - charge a £5 a pop to watch them train ?

Daves , if you're reading this - I need a new camera and a couple of lenses - cheers . :thup:

discopiglet

Post by discopiglet » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:36 pm

I just wondered if anyone knew anymore info on the Tripp Smith visit to UAE? Or is all that 'hush hush'

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:03 pm

discopiglet wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:36 pm
I just wondered if anyone knew anymore info on the Tripp Smith visit to UAE? Or is all that 'hush hush'

I think this was a case of two and two = five. If it was to meet prospective buyers for the club, surely, it would be the other way round ?

Mega Ron

Post by Mega Ron » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:07 pm

discopiglet wrote:
Puff Daddy wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:03 pm
I think this was a case of two and two = five. If it was to meet prospective buyers for the club, surely, it would be the other way round ?
It's much harder for the UAE to fly over to visit Tripp Smith though Puff.

goa127

Post by goa127 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:20 pm

Diogenes wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:00 pm
I have been following this thread and it seems to me more wishful thinking than actual 'take over'. Whoever may be successful in ' taking us over' will be only those seeking a profitable return!!! Do you disagree?

I must admit, that personally, I see no profitable return in buying us for several million and investing several million in stadium and players etc.

That is also speculating, that GSB would sell us to a 'reputable' and cash rich buyer.

So.… lets be sensible, big ask I know, are we better off selling or getting our current boards to deliver?

Now, before the obvious and expected 'f*ck em', 'don't care', 'lets set up a new club' etc. etc., what would be acceptable?
I think the biggest problem is the board don't know how to deliver. Like you I don't see much likelihood of buyers spending fortunes to get the club then fortunes on rebuilding, even if buyers are anything more than wishful thinking. We'll only prosper if we have a large slice of luck and achieve some success which generates cash to persuade sulli it's worth investing more. Unlikely

wobble

Post by wobble » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:22 pm

discopiglet wrote:
It didn't happen, like most rumor's the takeover story just got out of hand.

GSB plan to stick around, hopefully we change their minds.

Eggs'n'nuts

Post by Eggs'n'nuts » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:41 pm

goa127 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:20 pm
I think the biggest problem is the board don't know how to deliver. Like you I don't see much likelihood of buyers spending fortunes to get the club then fortunes on rebuilding, even if buyers are anything more than wishful thinking. We'll only prosper if we have a large slice of luck and achieve some success which generates cash to persuade sulli it's worth investing more. Unlikely
Here is the problem though, because if by some miracle our fortunes take a lucky turn, they'll just say nothing needs mending.

davids cross

Post by davids cross » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:06 pm

wobble wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:22 pm
GSB plan to stick around, hopefully we change their minds.
Ages ago....just after GSB took the club over......I listened to a little hidden interview with David Gold.

He was open about the stress the actions of Birmingham City fans had caused the three of them. ....Pressure (lawful I must stress) does pay dividends for supporters but it's a long haul. And it must carry the many numbers who are not totally anti GSB.......and there are more of them than I believe people on here think there are. Golds description of his "conversation" with a taxi driver rang true to me......I've heard it lots too. You won't see it on forums or on here.....but there is sort of a large silent number of fans who are not totally against everything......and I even heard UTJ mention this a while back.....that he knows people like that. They don't go on forums. Most fans don't. But they are there.

The problem for GSB is that there comes a point where the situation is just untenable. Not that they are the worst owners in the world (I've been a supporter nearly half a century)......and none of the owners have been popular.....and the one that was, was ****ing clueless (slaps head with speed) or we can't end up with something worse......because we can.

But, like players......owners have a sort of shelf life where there is really no point in carrying on.

They will never get any credit, even if they turned the situation around both on the pitch and off it. That goose has flown......and there is just this underlying rumbling of discontent among a significant amount of people..........and it won't go away. And when that starts to affect the players.....and it will. Then, you really have to think hard about sorting out a deal where we can move forward to something different. Whatever it may be.....

Paolo's Piranhas

Post by Paolo's Piranhas » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:19 pm

davids cross wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:06 pm
Ages ago....just after GSB took the club over......I listened to a little hidden interview with David Gold.

He was open about the stress the actions of Birmingham City fans had caused the three of them. ....Pressure (lawful I must stress) does pay dividends for supporters but it's a long haul.
Whilst I hope you're right. There's one important difference. By the time they allowed themselves to be 'forced' out of Birmingham, they knew they weren't going to be getting their hoped for free stadium out of Birmingham Council. Now, unfortunately for us, they have it.

Heysel76

Post by Heysel76 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:49 pm

So, when the goose has stopped laying golden eggs, they will sell it?

Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:50 pm

wobble wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:22 pm
It didn't happen, like most rumor's the takeover story just got out of hand.

GS plan to stick around, hopefully we change their minds.
Amended ever so slightly for you.

Pulls up Trees

Post by Pulls up Trees » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:48 pm

Makes you wonder how we got 75% of the crowd singing "Sack the Board" during the Bond scheme fiasco... Surely with the advent of Social Media it should be easier than back in 91/92.

I guess us supporters were just that little bit more bothered back then.

Boooogers!

Post by Boooogers! » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:58 pm

Pulls up Trees wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:48 pm
Makes you wonder how we got 75% of the crowd singing "Sack the Board" during the Bond scheme fiasco... Surely with the advent of Social Media it should be easier than back in 91/92.

I guess us supporters were just that little bit more bothered back then.
On the flip side, social media has meant that any **** with a keyboard has a platform so there's a ton of noise, and it's also so much easier to divide and conquer a group of people using social media these days (something that GSB have proven to be quite adept at doing)

Johnny_C WHU

Post by Johnny_C WHU » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:17 pm

I think when the club does change hands (hopefully soon....) I cannot see any significant changes taking place in terms of infrastructure, even if we are owed by a rich sheik.
I do believe that the stadium will be ours one day, it loses too much money to be a thing for the government however, to truly rectify the stadium as mentioned it would cost too much money. I think the biggest obstacle is the contaminated ground below the stadium, that will not allow us to go lower and the seats themselves are at such an angle we cannot put seats around the track without obscuring views. I think it would probably be changed to be 'more West Ham' and I cannot see anyone building another ground.

I was a season ticket holder there and if the owners go, and they get things right in terms of cosmetics and experiences and start to invest properly on who plays on that pitch I think the problems there including the distance will become almost secondary.
on a couple of occasions the ground was thumping, if we had something to cheer I am sure it wouldn't be all bad.

For my generation it will never be home, as I miss the ol' girl. The kids of today won't know any better and the bowl will be their West Ham; cannot see that changing for the next 90 something years we have the keys.

OFT

Post by OFT » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:20 pm

Paolo's Piranhas wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:19 pm
Whilst I hope you're right. There's one important difference. By the time they allowed themselves to be 'forced' out of Birmingham, they knew they weren't going to be getting their hoped for free stadium out of Birmingham Council. Now, unfortunately for us, they have it.
That's more or less what I was thinking as I read DC's post.

It will be interesting though to see just how much criticism they can take. I fear quite a lot while the money keeps rolling .

wormley

Post by wormley » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:15 pm

OFT wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:20 pm
That's more or less what I was thinking as I read DC's post.

It will be interesting though to see just how much criticism they can take. I fear quite a lot while the money keeps rolling .
Exactly, making coin is their sole aim and the bad press will be viewed as an irksome, but ultimately minor distraction as long as the money is still rolling in.

Relegation however changes everything.

Ozza

Post by Ozza » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:54 pm

Edit
Last edited by Ozza on Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ozza

Post by Ozza » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:56 pm

Exactly which is why I don’t fear and have been welcoming relegation, Sullys comment about the financial situation if we get relegated made me smile, they are seriously under the pump.

You reap what you sow and all that! I believe it will the catalyst of change.