Why modern football is broken beyond repair

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Why modern football is broken beyond repair

Post by Puff Daddy » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:01 pm

Came across this article a little earlier. ~ It is a long article, but well worth persisting with and it explains a lot, including why referees favour the big teams. Anyway, see what you think:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/footbal ... spartandhp

Ironing Board

Re: Why modern football is broken beyond repair

Post by Ironing Board » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:37 pm

Great post - thanks for sharing. Just underlines how broken the game feels.

And as a bonus it underlined how much an achievement Moyes finishing fourth with Everton was :P :wink:

Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:57 pm

This is a great quote by a great man.

“People think there must be a lot of thinking in this Premier League,” the late Graham Taylor said at the time. “There is none … I think a lot of this is based on greed.”

Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:59 pm

This did a hell of a lot of the damage:

There was then the influence of the European Court of Justice, and the 1995 Bosman ruling. This immediately made players free agents once their contract ended and also prohibited EU member states and Uefa from imposing quotas on foreign players. Soriano said it “shook the market”. In reality it created a new one: a massive labour market that – according to Goldblatt – is more “global than banking”.
“Even Serie A still only allowed three foreigners per squad. Three Dutchmen at Milan was considered unbelievably cosmopolitan. Now, that’s nowhere near as cosmopolitan as Bournemouth.
“Bosman and the creation of a global labour market has been incredibly important. It also generated the creation of a global network and system of agents and scouts.”

Graza

Post by Graza » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:29 am

It's an interesting piece and it made me think about the number of games I watch. I have never watched the European Cups in the last decade bar a couple of finals with friends and then I was getting Dru k not watching the games. I don't watch many live games that don't include West Ham anymore, the results of most are predictable and the ones between the "bigger" teams have such a level of sycophancy from pundits and commentators I can't be bothered. It makes you wonder, if as a probably average supporter of an average sized club I couldn't give a **** about watching football that doesn't include my team, and even that is a chore some of the time, has the death spiral already begun?

The worst part is that the only thing I can think of to reset the playing field would be unthinkable. Even distribution of all TV/European cup money for all teams with spending caps of say 10% above that average to account for diversified income. Of course this would never be agreed and it would put our league at a disadvantage against the other European teams without this restriction. But surely it's the only way to save the "product" that is the premier league. It has to be a competition, which means it has to be competitive, which means that the "smaller" club's have to have the means to compete. That lack of competition is killing interest (certainly for me and I can but assume for many others) in the game in general. Yes if you are a non domestic "fan" of a club like Man City or Barcelona tuning in to watch them destroy the opposition (what was it 40+% of Barca and Real games won by 3 or more? It's stupid) you may not be the target, but football and our league in particular has a feel to it, generated by atmosphere, generated by people who want to be there. The number of Liverpool in our end and thus leaving via our routes after our home game with them shows how infected, indifferent and one sided our game is.

Money is the root of all evil and money is killing our game.

The "spectre" of a breakaway European Super league has never been a concern for me. I don't give a **** if we never play Manure again, it's one of the reasons I have never cared if we get relegated, I want to watch my team, not "City's Superstars" like a good customer. I also wonder if it actually has the allure they think it does. Basically everyone who watches Champions League now would watch it, but one assumes that FC Basel won't be welcome along with a host of smaller nations clubs, maybe even including the likes of Galatasaray? If the Champions League continued (which it absolutely would in the event that it wasn't UEFA sanctioned) then would there be the same interest from those countries in this new league? I don't think so, not to the same extent and certainly it would wain over time if their teams never had a sniff and they never got to see it in person. Would as well that Chinese/Arab markets prosper watching competitive games every week instead of beatings dished out by weaker teams? Would a Mourinio style defensive team win the league by suffocating the style teams? One assumes the rewards for winning said league would be preposterously enormous, and if they were indulging in self regulation (none) no limits on spending meaning that whoever won the first few times would then win forever. Imagine 5 years later and the likes of Manure, Bayern Munich and Barca are effectively no hopers with no way of getting up the league and no route out of it. Hilariously they will then feel the pain of the leagues they think they shafted by leaving. Meanwhile the domestic leagues would be shaken up, new "big" teams would be established and while the money for TV would be reduced for a few years it would be for the remaining teams to push for that new balance so that the disparity didn't occur again. How UEFA and by extension FIFA react to a breakaway would also be important, if they weren't getting their slice of the pie they could ban players from that league from international competition, which would divide players over going for the big money or their countries (I think we all know what most would do). Ultimately the closed shop with dominant teams would have less of an appeal than the perceived open shop of the current situation, it would divide fans, divide TV money and I think ultimately the one that would win out in the longer term would be the national leagues.

In short I think we would all be happier if they buggered off and did it, a fairer system was established for the remaining clubs and then their product was shifted off to the Far East/Arab market where it can slowly die of lack of interest.

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:39 am

once competition is removed and the dream that your club may one day win something then football will die. CL matches are boring as hell until the last 16 knockout stages, which was what the old european cup was.

as for man city Liverpool and the rest leaving the PL , good as we will still see them when they are on TV playing barca for the 5th time in the season.

I would rather we got rid of the top 6 of Liverpool city man utd arsenal spurs Chelsea and replace them with leeds west brom nott forest Charlton Brentford etc.

then introduce a spending cap so no team can spend more than 80m a season. this stops a team doing a man city and spending 200m on defenders etc.

introduce a rule that half the squad must be from the youth academy and british.

much more fun and competitive. The PL is boring as hell and one reason I wouldn't care if we got relegated.

Graza

Post by Graza » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:41 am

hammerman11 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:39 am
once competition is removed and the dream that your club may one day win something then football will die.
Then it died 20+ years ago...

SammyLeeWasOffside

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:10 am

Graza wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:41 am
Then it died 20+ years ago...
Longer than that really. How many clubs have risen up and performed a sporting miracle (rather than a financial one) since the 60s,;5 or 6 maybe?

The real difference today is that money and regulation is allowing the big clubs to not only dominate now but to hoover up any talent for the future. City, Chelsea etc buying the future of the game is far more dangerous than buying a few titles. They seem to think it's smart but in truth they have already killed the game imo. We already have a super league, 95% of clubs exist to bulk that out for TV.

The Old Man of Storr

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:42 am

Super Post , Graza - agree with your every word .

sendô

Post by sendô » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:47 am

Football now is an endless dull procession. The winners always come from the same pool of teams who have the most money and hoover up all of the talent. How many players do Chelsea have out on loan these days?

The likes of Leicester causing an upset are getting further and further apart. In truth they were an anomaly, the exception that proves the rule.

JCA

Post by JCA » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:51 am

This is a great thread, fully agree on all points & comments raised.

SammyLeeWasOffside

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:07 am

sendô wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:47 am
Football now is an endless dull procession. The winners always come from the same pool of teams who have the most money and hoover up all of the talent. How many players do Chelsea have out on loan these days?
The first bit has always been the case to an extent, the last sentence is the problem imo. Firstly it locks in the elite clubs as the winners for the future, if they have every good kid between them they can pick who they keep. The City model people were lauding the other day makes this even more lethal as it removes the risk of missing a late bloomer, they just keep people in their 'family' on the off chance. Secondly it destroys teams lower down who used to survive on developing talent and selling it on, now all the talent is owned by the big clubs and they use the other divisions to develop it.

Estuary

Post by Estuary » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:10 am

The lack of competition is one issue, but the biggest impact on football in England has been the appropriation of the old 1st Div by the clubs themselves and the formation of the Premier League and then the TV deal with Sky. At that moment the soul of the game was sold and replaced with a relentless marketing regime that was only focused on selling the Sky TV network to you. The changes in the laws, to foster "the beautiful game", emasculated the ability of teams to compete by outlawing tackling and in doing so enabling "he felt contact", as a legitimate excuse for awarding a penalty, nobody seems to counter with "but its a contact sport", the law changes are mostly European driven and have impacted here more as they have negated competition, to the detriment of the game as a spectacle.

I've said it before, nothing about the game today is any good, the further it has moved away from being a contact sport, played on Saturday afternoon in front of working class crowds who paid on the door to get in the worse the game itself and match day has become. We stood watching teams drawn from our own, competing against teams drawn from same, PL and the advent of Bosman and the age of the agent changed everything, today football is a pale shadow of its former self, but it is puffed up by the TV companies in pursuit of at first the ratings and the ad dollar, and now dominance of the cable into your home and the annual contract that accompanies it. The sport is a vehicle to enable that, nothing more. But we still buy into it, the allegiance is so strong that almost three decades in we still can't look away, they know that and that's what they utilize, the loyalty, passion, hope, love, hate even.....all good signals in brand marketing.

We were once a clubs supporters, now we are the "studio" audience attending the live broadcast of a franchise, the big changes that enabled that took place 28 years ago when seats were put into grounds and 1st Division became the premier League, today's issues with the club are a direct bye product of those initial changes, in many ways I envy Millwall or Southend or Orient, not ever having to deal with their club being devoured by the bull**** factory that is the PL/Sky alliance and the type of odious money grubbing opportunists it attracts into the game.

Shame really, it used to be fun.

Graza

Post by Graza » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:18 am

The Old Man of Storr wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:42 am
Super Post , Graza - agree with your every word .
I enjoy a good rant :lol:
SammyLeeWasOffside wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:10 am
Longer than that really. How many clubs have risen up and performed a sporting miracle (rather than a financial one) since the 60s,;5 or 6 maybe?

The real difference today is that money and regulation is allowing the big clubs to not only dominate now but to hoover up any talent for the future. City, Chelsea etc buying the future of the game is far more dangerous than buying a few titles. They seem to think it's smart but in truth they have already killed the game imo. We already have a super league, 95% of clubs exist to bulk that out for TV.
The difference from the days in the 60's was that it was possible to have a great season and win the FA cup or get promoted, challenge for a league. Yes periods of dominance from Liverpool/Leeds etc happened, but they were often times due to determined and before their time organisation/methods/management over a period of years. This would then organically give them a financial muscle to begin a virtuous cycle (see Manure coming good just at the right time with the PL). The difference was that the gap they opened up was small, telling, but small and losing a couple of players/manager could destabilise it and someone else would claim the oerch rather than someone parachuting in and dropping the net worth of a small country on a team.

I quite agree on the youth system. One of the rules that should absolutely be in place is a limit on the number of loans a club can make. Call it 11 at any one time. This would limit the number of players happy to sit and not play or be in a group of 30-40 in the u21's.

I make it 70% of the teams (14 out of 20) who are padding. The fact that people talk about competing to be "best of the rest" is shameful. That there is almost no advertising of any Spanish game except Barca v Real is probably how the PL is marketed abroad only they have a higher number of teams to promote in that bracket. It's probably why our league is still seen as a bigger draw and more competitive than others, because there are 6 teams who take points off each other at the top, rather than 2. But the more entrenched the money becomes the worse it will be.

Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"

Post by Wilko1304 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:38 am

Let them have their super league. The English clubs involved will lose their financial over other European teams, most of them will struggle as they are so poorly run in comparison, then they’ll be losers in a system that doesn’t care for them.

2022 seems a big time for change. Think some TV deals are up, the World Cup schedule change will force some change in thinking too.

Changes need to be made across the board, and I think the way England gave up on the change of the transfer window closing shows that that isn’t easy. They’re mostly self-serving. A wage cap could help, but Manchester United aren’t going to vote to help Everton catch them or Leicester establish themselves.

Say what you want about City buying success, but at least someone came in and punched the likes of Man United and Chelsea in the face.

Love Migz, by the way. One of the (many) good ones.

SammyLeeWasOffside

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:39 am

Graza wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:18 am
The difference from the days in the 60's was that it was possible to have a great season and win the FA cup or get promoted, challenge for a league. Yes periods of dominance from Liverpool/Leeds etc happened, but they were often times due to determined and before their time organisation/methods/management over a period of years. This would then organically give them a financial muscle to begin a virtuous cycle (see Manure coming good just at the right time with the PL). The difference was that the gap they opened up was small, telling, but small and losing a couple of players/manager could destabilise it and someone else would claim the oerch rather than someone parachuting in and dropping the net worth of a small country on a team.
It was definitely more possible to create a team that might challenge for honours, winning them was still a pretty rare thing for most teams. What helped was the relationship between clubs and players, clubs were still in charge at that point. Plus squads were smaller, nobody had heard of rotation so if you wanted to play you may have had to go to 'smaller' clubs. What are the odds of a relegated team keeping players of the calibre of Brooking, Bonds and Dev in this day and age. The talent was more evenly spread.

I think thats what is driving people away from the game, the sheer pointlessness of it. They have taken away the jam tomorrow that used to keep people interested. A good youth cup performance used to be something to get excited about but now it doesn't indicate a brighter future in the same way.

Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"

Post by Wilko1304 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:44 am

They’re already making changes to the loan rules.

“In short, FIFA intends to restrict clubs to a maximum of 8 loan players at a time, though this would exclude any player under the age of 21 who have been at the club for a “long enough” period of time.”

That was two years ago, think it’s been approved since.

Whilst it’s not perfect, it does mean you’re not gonna have 21-23 year olds biding their time at bigger clubs.

To be fair, the likes of Sancho have done a huge favour to teams outside the money clubs. He’s shown you can go away and get even better without them. Problem is English clubs are usually too weak to take these players on and play them.

Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:53 pm

Football broken you say - Chelsea and Manchester United are prepared to pay £35m for Birmingham midfielder Jude Bellingham, 16, plus £15m in add-ons. (Sun)16 years old!!!

Great thread by the way :thup:

The Old Man of Storr

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:01 pm

Clacton-ammer wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:53 pm
Football broken you say - Chelsea and Manchester United are prepared to pay £35m for Birmingham midfielder Jude Bellingham, 16, plus £15m in add-ons. (Sun)16 years old!!!

Great thread by the way :thup:
1979 seems a long time ago now , when Trevor Francis also of Birmingham City made the first £1m move from one English club to another although Brian Clough did try to take the pressure off Francis when he said the actual cost was £999,999 . :)

Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:25 pm

The Premier league is boring. Apart from Jack Walker bankrolling Blackburn to the title and Leicester's freakish season its been the same clubs winning it. The only fun in it at the moment is watching Man Utd languish outside the top 4. Thing is, they then go and spend £60 odd million on Fernandes in January and know doubt they will improve because of it.

What annoys me is realistically West Ham should do much better in the Cup competitions, but we don't. One Cup final appearance since losing to Liverpool in the League Cup in 1981 or whenever it was is pony. No cup win at all since 1980. Nothing for 40 years for a club of our size is *****.

Id take bottom half Prem League finishes and a more cup final appearances all day long. Shame those in charge do not.

The likes of Birmingham, Wigan and Middlesborough have all won trophies in recent history. Even Coventry & Luton haven't gone as long without a trophy. It's embarrassing really.