Why modern football is broken beyond repair

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

User avatar
Ironing Board
Posts: 2682
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:11 am

Re: Why modern football is broken beyond repair

Post by Ironing Board » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:13 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:36 pm
We beat Man u [albeit a poor Man U side] this season. We beat Spurs away last season. We beat Chelsea at home the previous season

This season has shown that the top 6 isn't always the top 6. Take Liverpool out [who haven't won the league for 30 years] it is a very even league, with all the other 'top 6' getting beat regularly
The fact we are too crap to take advantage of this, doesn't negate the situation

The other European leagues are certainly getting less competitive. I don't dispute that. However, the English league is in a much healthier state than those IMHO

I still do not see any benefits in playing in an English league that doesn't have the best English club sides in it. What is the point? Endless games against other also-rans? All the best talent snapped up by the Super League teams?
What happens if two or three clubs begin to dominate this second tier?
Are we telling fans of clubs like Plymouth, Barnsley, Birmingham etc that they won't be able to play the big clubs ever again?
I dunno - there is an argument that, without the glamour of league challenges and titles, the ''big four-six-whatever' would lose their appeal globally. Someone has to be the winner in a European superleague, and who wants to support losers? Meanwhile the larger teams over here who could not break the stranglehold could flourish amidst the generous coverage they would receive and attain a status of their own.

Rozzop
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:31 pm

Re: Why modern football is broken beyond repair

Post by Rozzop » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:36 pm

I wouldn't say its broken.

The premier league is the weakest its been in years. Chelsea have possibly their weakest squad in 15 years but are 4th. Arsenal have won, what, 4 league games all season? Man Utd are still rubbish. Spurs have lost all direction.

Its not a case of all these teams, bar Liverpool of course, are miles ahead of the likes of us or Palace or whoever.

In fact, most championship teams could give the premier league teams a game. We have seen it in the cups. Am sure Oxfords wage bill is a bit lower than ours.

All of this money in the game and generally, imo of course, the standard of teams has dropped.

User avatar
Ironing Board
Posts: 2682
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:11 am

Re: Why modern football is broken beyond repair

Post by Ironing Board » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:40 pm

Rozzop wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:36 pm
I wouldn't say its broken.

The premier league is the weakest its been in years. Chelsea have possibly their weakest squad in 15 years but are 4th. Arsenal have won, what, 4 league games all season? Man Utd are still rubbish. Spurs have lost all direction.

Its not a case of all these teams, bar Liverpool of course, are miles ahead of the likes of us or Palace or whoever.

In fact, most championship teams could give the premier league teams a game. We have seen it in the cups. Am sure Oxfords wage bill is a bit lower than ours.

All of this money in the game and generally, imo of course, the standard of teams has dropped.
Do you think there are a dearth of talented players coming through? It seems to be we have lots and lots of athletes, but very few footballers who will get you to your feet.

Rozzop
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:31 pm

Re: Why modern football is broken beyond repair

Post by Rozzop » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:56 pm

Ironing Board wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:40 pm
Do you think there are a dearth of talented players coming through? It seems to be we have lots and lots of athletes, but very few footballers who will get you to your feet.
For sure. The standand has improved since the 60's no doubt but generally its gone backwards in the last decade.

User avatar
iLoveLasagne
Posts: 2373
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:17 am

Re: Why modern football is broken beyond repair

Post by iLoveLasagne » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:18 pm

The Premier League is built for pace and endurance. Technical players are forsaken for hardworking ones.

Mikloskosglovebag
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:22 pm

Re: Why modern football is broken beyond repair

Post by Mikloskosglovebag » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:23 pm

Bring on Redbull Hammers FC is all I can say. The soul was gone long ago, at least we would compete rather than dreaming we somehow get a perfect formula (Leicester) or sign the next Messi that decides to stay a couple of seasons too long. It fun to beat the top six, but its sad it's the only thing to really look forward to in a season. I think the Redbull rumor was just put out by the board to strike fear - look what could happen if we sell kinda thing. I would really welcome it though - they would stop at nothing to create an incredible club.

User avatar
Ironing Board
Posts: 2682
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:11 am

Re: Why modern football is broken beyond repair

Post by Ironing Board » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:34 pm

iLoveLasagne wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:18 pm
The Premier League is built for pace and endurance. Technical players are forsaken for hardworking ones.
Maybe, but there is surely room for both!

User avatar
Graza
Posts: 2140
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 10:18 pm

Re: Why modern football is broken beyond repair

Post by Graza » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:17 pm

Mikloskosglovebag wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:23 pm
Bring on Redbull Hammers FC is all I can say. The soul was gone long ago, at least we would compete rather than dreaming we somehow get a perfect formula (Leicester)
The myth that Leicester built themselves up brick by brick is nonsense. A very rich man bought them, pumped in the millions, sponsored the club I believe, completely changed the fabric. Yes they got lucky with Vardy and Mahrez and penalty decisions at both ends of the pitch in almost every game. A better example is the Ipswich season where they got promoted then had no injuries and came third, the following year injuries and relegated.

User avatar
r99c
Posts: 1960
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:58 pm

Re: Why modern football is broken beyond repair

Post by r99c » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:40 pm

Just came back from a couple of weeks in South America and I'm glad to report it's alive in Argentina.

Saw Talleres Córdoba vs Boca Juniors (in Córdoba). Parked about a mile from the stadium and could hear the atmosphere in the stadium from the car, ridiculous. Then inside the ground had an insane atmosphere all the way from when we got in until just before the game, bouncing from all sides including home fans. Then 5m before kickoff the 'Barra Bravas' walked into the centre of the end behind the goals with everyone cheering them in. Constant noise from start to end including the home fans.

Compare that to the pathetic show in stadiums here where, if you're sitting on the sidelines, you're just sitting there quietly. Dare to try and chant or stand up and people will moan at you. Honestly not sure if I ever want to go to a match here again.

User avatar
TheHandOfDog
Posts: 3094
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:08 pm

Re: Why modern football is broken beyond repair

Post by TheHandOfDog » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:41 pm

Mikloskosglovebag wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:23 pm
Bring on Redbull Hammers FC is all I can say.
I kinda agree, we have taken the same route with these owners as we would have if we were taken over by redbull. Minus the money being put in. May as well go that extra step and become redbull london.

goa127
Posts: 2335
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: Why modern football is broken beyond repair

Post by goa127 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:18 am

r99c wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:40 pm
Just came back from a couple of weeks in South America and I'm glad to report it's alive in Argentina.

Saw Talleres Córdoba vs Boca Juniors (in Córdoba). Parked about a mile from the stadium and could hear the atmosphere in the stadium from the car, ridiculous. Then inside the ground had an insane atmosphere all the way from when we got in until just before the game, bouncing from all sides including home fans. Then 5m before kickoff the 'Barra Bravas' walked into the centre of the end behind the goals with everyone cheering them in. Constant noise from start to end including the home fans.

Compare that to the pathetic show in stadiums here where, if you're sitting on the sidelines, you're just sitting there quietly. Dare to try and chant or stand up and people will moan at you. Honestly not sure if I ever want to go to a match here again.
What was the football like?

User avatar
BondsoBob
Posts: 3770
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:05 pm
Location: Folkestone, Kent,

Re: Why modern football is broken beyond repair

Post by BondsoBob » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:48 am

The most broken thing about football is that the internet has given the platform for people to moan about it all the.

Rays Rock
Posts: 3506
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:10 pm
Location: Sitting in the dschungel

Re: Why modern football is broken beyond repair

Post by Rays Rock » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:16 am

Gave up my season ticket in 2005 because the sport was busted, the connection with the fan was busted, stopped subscribing to sports channels about 10 years ago as i knew I didn’t want to contribute to top clubs success.
Here’s another frightening but relevant stat. In the 27 years of PL existence, there have only been 4 clubs that have won the FA cup that haven’t won the PL in that same period. This will become just 3 clubs when Liverpool inevitably win the PL this season. Those other clubs are Everton, Portsmouth and Wigan ! Only 8 clubs have lifted the FA cup in those 27 years and 3 of those clubs done it just the once.
Adversely, in the 27 years preceding the PL era, 16 different clubs lifted the FA cup which in included 10 clubs that never won the league in that same period. This also included clubs like ourselves, Tottenham and Manchester Utd that won it on more than 1 occasion in the same period. Other clubs to win who didn’t lift the league title were, West Brom, Chelsea, Ipswich, Coventry, Wimbledon, Southampton & Sunderland. This gave a much wider prospect to many football supporters that there was at least a realistic chance that this season could be our season. That has disappeared. Even if a small club does make the final like Watford last year, they get steam rolled at the final hurdle !!!
For clubs like ours, which prided itself upon being a ‘cup team’ ( no lack of ambition in that term ), has meant that their existence has become very drab and hopeless. Even the remote prospect of showcasing highly skillful talents from our youth system now end with the near certainty in that young player being swept away by a big club.
So for West Ham, it’s 2 major traits which it basically built its entity upon have been foisted away from them by the modern era.
And they have the cheek to still call it a sport !

Crouchend_Hammer
Posts: 13130
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:31 am
Location: Forest Gate

Re: Why modern football is broken beyond repair

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:33 am

BondsoBob wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:48 am
The most broken thing about football is that the internet has given the platform for people to moan about it all the.
:thup:
Very true!

User avatar
miketheloop
Posts: 762
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:36 pm
Location: Sunny Cornwall

Re: Why modern football is broken beyond repair

Post by miketheloop » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:58 am

What would be more boring is not having the ability to at least try and have a go at the big boys every year. Take the top teams of England out and you instantly loose some excitement.

We all know for example that we’re going to get a thumping on Wednesday from Man City, but we have hope. They have after all dropped points in nine games out of twenty five this season.

This season would be way more exciting had it not been for Liverpool’s ridiculous season. Man City not being a power and Leicester doing so well.
Let’s look at the so called big six.

1st Liverpool, runaway winners
2nd Man City, seemingly in turmoil (must be terrible)
4th Chelsea, indifferent season but in a transition
6th Spurs, again indifferent with Jose in charge
9th Man UTD, been on the decline for a while
11th Arsenal, worst of them all, by quite a way

Now look at some other clubs up near the top half.

3rd Leicester, just shows what can happen to well run clubs
5th Sheffield UTD, well what can you say, could and should of been us
7th Wolves, probably lower than they would of liked!

So this whole top six is all that matters stuff is up for debate. If a club like Leicester could have a sustained period of European football who knows what they could achieve, especially with Rodgers in charge.

This is why yet again, we are such a disappointment. West Ham is a huge club, huge fan base in a densely populated wealthy City.

If we were well run, we could have decent relative success.

There’s no doubt there is way to much money in modern football, players get paid to much, we pay to much to watch games and to yes of course, like life, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, but it can be changed.

User avatar
r99c
Posts: 1960
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:58 pm

Re: Why modern football is broken beyond repair

Post by r99c » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:57 pm

goa127 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:18 am
What was the football like?
Not bad at all to be fair, Tevez scored the winner too

South American football is in an ok place, there's a reason that when I was walking along the beach in Rio, all I saw was people playing 'footvolley' and Brazil are the winningmost team in World Cup history and all the top European sides scout there

Sawbo
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:45 am

Re: Why modern football is broken beyond repair

Post by Sawbo » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:55 pm

Yesterday I went to Southend v Coventry. Ground in the middle of the town as opposed to a Lego construction on a retail park.
No VAR, no refs who think they are the stars of the show, no half and half scarves, no popcorn. Plenty of academy and home grown young players on show.
Modern football isn't broken, only the premier league.
So much so that after 45 years I will ditch my season ticket if we stay up.

Crouchend_Hammer
Posts: 13130
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:31 am
Location: Forest Gate

Re: Why modern football is broken beyond repair

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:21 pm

Sawbo wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:55 pm
Yesterday I went to Southend v Coventry. Ground in the middle of the town as opposed to a Lego construction on a retail park.
No VAR, no refs who think they are the stars of the show, no half and half scarves, no popcorn.
Not for long if they get their new stadium.
If you think popcorn is bad, give Forest Green a go with their Vegan only menu!

Rays Rock
Posts: 3506
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:10 pm
Location: Sitting in the dschungel

Re: Why modern football is broken beyond repair

Post by Rays Rock » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:12 pm

miketheloop wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:58 am
What would be more boring is not having the ability to at least try and have a go at the big boys every year. Take the top teams of England out and you instantly loose some excitement.

We all know for example that we’re going to get a thumping on Wednesday from Man City, but we have hope. They have after all dropped points in nine games out of twenty five this season.

This season would be way more exciting had it not been for Liverpool’s ridiculous season. Man City not being a power and Leicester doing so well.
Let’s look at the so called big six.

1st Liverpool, runaway winners
2nd Man City, seemingly in turmoil (must be terrible)
4th Chelsea, indifferent season but in a transition
6th Spurs, again indifferent with Jose in charge
9th Man UTD, been on the decline for a while
11th Arsenal, worst of them all, by quite a way

Now look at some other clubs up near the top half.

3rd Leicester, just shows what can happen to well run clubs
5th Sheffield UTD, well what can you say, could and should of been us
7th Wolves, probably lower than they would of liked!

So this whole top six is all that matters stuff is up for debate. If a club like Leicester could have a sustained period of European football who knows what they could achieve, especially with Rodgers in charge.

This is why yet again, we are such a disappointment. West Ham is a huge club, huge fan base in a densely populated wealthy City.

If we were well run, we could have decent relative success.

There’s no doubt there is way to much money in modern football, players get paid to much, we pay to much to watch games and to yes of course, like life, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, but it can be changed.
That’s a snapshot in time though. There is no denying that over a larger period the trend shows that the model only works for a select few.

goa127
Posts: 2335
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: Why modern football is broken beyond repair

Post by goa127 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:43 pm

It's not really modern football that's broken, it's modern society. People buying a simple terraced house in a rundown part of London for £1m, 18 year olds driving brand new cars etc. Football's just part of it

Post Reply