Why modern football is broken beyond repair

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police

Re: Why modern football is broken beyond repair

Post by uptonparkhurst » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:34 pm

Jeez,this thread makes for some depressing reading (because I can't really disagree with anything that has been said..)!

In an ideal world I would ban all loans,except possibly emergency loans for goalkeepers.
Failing that,then only allow loans to clubs 2 divisions or more below the loaning club.
Let the "big" clubs form their Super League and play each other endlessly,no promotions or relegations,no loans (i.e. free player development).How long would it be before an elite developed at the top of this elite league? Or before an owner
decided to move home to a different country :)

Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"

Post by Wilko1304 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:36 pm

I find the Premier League interesting still, I just care more about the relegation battles and teams trying to break the top four. There’s some interesting mini-battles in there if you ignore the title race - easier for me as I don’t see newspapers any more. No back page bias if you can’t see a back page!

EastBrisHammer

Post by EastBrisHammer » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:00 pm

Cockneyboy311 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:25 pm
What annoys me is realistically West Ham should do much better in the Cup competitions, but we don't. One Cup final appearance since losing to Liverpool in the League Cup in 1981 or whenever it was is pony. No cup win at all since 1980. Nothing for 40 years for a club of our size is *****.
Even clubs like Tottenham, who I always associated with the FA Cup, haven't won it since 1991, almost 30 years. Something in football is truly broken.
Cockneyboy311 wrote:
The likes of Birmingham, Wigan and Middlesborough have all won trophies in recent history. Even Coventry & Luton haven't gone as long without a trophy. It's embarrassing really.
And not one of them is in the Premier League. And that's why managers are told to prioritize survival, which is b*llocks for us fans.

BondsoBob

Post by BondsoBob » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:08 pm

sendô wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:47 am

The likes of Leicester causing an upset are getting further and further apart. In truth they were an anomaly, the exception that proves the rule.
And before Leicester won the title (just 4 years ago) people were always saying ' A club like Nottingham Forest will never win the league again'.
Never say never has always been my motto.

Johnny Byrne's Boots

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:09 pm

Graza and Estuary :thup:

Sky have created a monster fuelled by subscriptions and sponsors. In order to keep alive, to keep existing income streams and attract new ones, Sky must keep feeding their monster so 'the best players in the world' can be watched by the masses. At a price of course. If 'the best players in the world' can get more money elsewhere they'll be off like a shot, so Sky have to funnel ever increasing billions in their direction to keep them in the PL. This of course requires higher subscriptions, advertising revenue and sponsorships, all to effectively stand still. I think this is spelled "PONZI", and we all know what inevitably happens to them.

The sooner the better in my very humble opinion.

pezza20

Post by pezza20 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:37 pm

Football is no longer a sport - it's purely a business

Owners of clubs - look at the premiership owners, Brown was worth a few million when he owned the club, not more than 15 or so years ago !! Every owner in the premiership is worth hundreds of million plus.

Supporters are now a sideshow - don't believe we are anything but any longer. Whilst Sky money increases supporters will be less and less important.

Let's face it, West Ham's ground could be half full and they are still guaranteed 80m quid a year

Forget new owners. Any owner coming ion will treat it like everyone else does, as a money making machine. The only difference might be they are likes by the fans, try and improve the whole ethos of the club and grow the brand properly.

Funny thing is, given we are one of the best supported clubs in London, despite winning F all in 30 years, we should still be able to attarct a strong sponsorship but the issue lies at the door of the arseholes that run the club. Brady still despite her big gob can not get a naming rights deal over the line despite babbling that West Ham should be involved to add their considerable experience to the whole process ...

Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:45 pm

Cockneyboy311 wrote:
The Premier league is boring. Apart from Jack Walker bankrolling Blackburn to the title and Leicester's freakish season its been the same clubs winning it. The only fun in it at the moment is watching Man Utd languish outside the top 4. Thing is, they then go and spend £60 odd million on Fernandes in January and know doubt they will improve because of it.

What annoys me is realistically West Ham should do much better in the Cup competitions, but we don't. One Cup final appearance since losing to Liverpool in the League Cup in 1981 or whenever it was is pony. No cup win at all since 1980. Nothing for 40 years for a club of our size is *****.

Id take bottom half Prem League finishes and a more cup final appearances all day long. Shame those in charge do not.

The likes of Birmingham, Wigan and Middlesborough have all won trophies in recent history. Even Coventry & Luton haven't gone as long without a trophy. It's embarrassing really.
Thing is, the big club's have a death grip on the cups too, bar the odd upset. There was a period where the League Cup was a wildcard, but that has changed too as their second teams are better than most people's first!

fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:09 pm

The game of football was fine. Yeah, the money pouring in has created an skewed playing field when it comes to competitiveness, but the great game was still the same at it's core.

VAR is the single biggest reason why football is broken in my opinion. The game I can play locally is now different to the one played at the top level professionally. The tech will continue to influence the game in currently unforeseen ways and drag it further from the essence of what we fell in love with.

Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:23 pm

fjthegrey wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:09 pm
The game of football was fine. Yeah, the money pouring in has created an skewed playing field when it comes to competitiveness, but the great game was still the same at it's core.

VAR is the single biggest reason why football is broken in my opinion. The game I can play locally is now different to the one played at the top level professionally. The tech will continue to influence the game in currently unforeseen ways and drag it further from the essence of what we fell in love with.
Was it though? Used to be footballers were folk heroes, but now they are multi-millionaires who have no idea what it is like to live as a normal person.

Graza

Post by Graza » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:24 pm

pezza20 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:37 pm
Football is no longer a sport - it's purely a business
We might as well stop there.

The sums involved, the prestige, it all matters more than the sporting contest to the point that there is no interest in it being a sporting contest and actual sportsmanship has been supplanted by gamesmanship (cheating if you will) in terms of desirable and applauded virtue.

It's bumming the hell out of me but to stop and think about it... the game is long since dead, not just at our club where our parasitic owners have been feasting on our bloated corpse for a decade but everywhere, even for the "big" teams, its not a game, it's not sport, it's a cash machine.

Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:26 pm

Graza wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:24 pm
We might as well stop there.

The sums involved, the prestige, it all matters more than the sporting contest to the point that there is no interest in it being a sporting contest and actual sportsmanship has been supplanted by gamesmanship (cheating if you will) in terms of desirable and applauded virtue.

It's bumming the hell out of me but to stop and think about it... the game is long since dead, not just at our club where our parasitic owners have been feasting on our bloated corpse for a decade but everywhere, even for the "big" teams, its not a game, it's not sport, it's a cash machine.
Fancy joining me in supporting the local draughts league? Chess is a bit too high brow!

fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:31 pm

Ironing Board wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:23 pm
Was it though? Used to be footballers were folk heroes, but now they are multi-millionaires who have no idea what it is like to live as a normal person.
I don't care who they were or what they are now. What difference does that make when you're in the stands watching the match? It's 11 vs 11. Who they are at that point matters only as far as how good they are.

I watch football because it's a great game, not because the bloke I'm watching play it knows what it's like to walk a mile in my shoes.

Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:40 pm

fjthegrey wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:31 pm
I don't care who they were or what they are now. What difference does that make when you're in the stands watching the match? It's 11 vs 11. Who they are at that point matters only as far as how good they are.

I watch football because it's a great game, not because the bloke I'm watching play it knows what it's like to walk a mile in my shoes.
Fair enough. I just used to like the fact it was mainly 'blokes like us' who got lucky. Not grudging them a good wage, but it has got totally out of hand. Doesn't help that many couldn't care less about anyone but themselves.

fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:41 pm

Ironing Board wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:40 pm
Doesn't help that many couldn't care less about anyone but themselves.
Sounds like everyone.

Maybe they're more 'normal' than you give them credit for.

James P

Post by James P » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:45 pm

It’s interesting that given all the excellent points made in both the article and this thread, that international football gets so much negative comment, especially on this site.

International football is relatively well insulated from the problems destroying club football. There are far more peaks and troughs suffered by individual nations and shocks and upsets in general are far more abundant. Yet people seem to just whinge about it getting in the way of the far more important (but seemingly broken) club game.

pezza20

Post by pezza20 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:10 pm

Ironing Board wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:23 pm
I don't think anyone is in awe of footballers now as they were years ago.

At UP I was fortunate enough to always go into the players lounge and before each home game Liam Brady would come in, all geared up minus his boots, have a cup of tea at the bar and chat to a few people about the geegees before going back to boot up. He was worth 10 of the players we see now.

Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:12 pm

fjthegrey wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:41 pm
Sounds like everyone.

Maybe they're more 'normal' than you give them credit for.
Thank goodness for guys like Steven Naismith and Jermain Defoe!

Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:26 pm

pezza20 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:10 pm
I don't think anyone is in awe of footballers now as they were years ago.

At UP I was fortunate enough to always go into the players lounge and before each home game Liam Brady would come in, all geared up minus his boots, have a cup of tea at the bar and chat to a few people about the geegees before going back to boot up. He was worth 10 of the players we see now.
That must have been class! Very good pundit, is Brady. He is on Irish telly, but you can get it on YouTube.

Graza

Post by Graza » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:39 pm

James P wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:45 pm
It’s interesting that given all the excellent points made in both the article and this thread, that international football gets so much negative comment, especially on this site.

International football is relatively well insulated from the problems destroying club football. There are far more peaks and troughs suffered by individual nations and shocks and upsets in general are far more abundant. Yet people seem to just whinge about it getting in the way of the far more important (but seemingly broken) club game.
The international club competitions in their current form hurt the league far more than actual international competition IMO.

The problem I have with internationals is largely revolve around how bad England are at it, how biased the selections are - ohh look they sat on the bench twice for Man City, they need an international start - and as with the European game the expansion of qualifications for the big set pieces make qualification a chore you go through rather than a competitive process, then you get there and the groups are either routine walkthrough or you have some egg on your face having been held to a draw by a bunch of part timers. By the time competitive games are played I've lost the will to watch. If they hadn't botched the nations league stuff so badly it could have actually been an interesting competition, but it definitely shows the clear tiers in international football and how pointless it is in 95% of the games.

It is however damaged by many of the same issues already discussed, focusing of money leads to focusing of talent and pooling of youngsters given no game time, underdeveloped and overpaid = weaker young blood coming through.

James P

Post by James P » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:08 pm

And yet the last four World Cup finals have been featured seven different teams and the last four European Championship Finals have featured six. No team has retained the World Cup in nearly sixty years and the last eight European Championships have been won by seven different nations.

Paint it anyway you like, international football is not a procession and does not feature the same teams winning over and over again as in club football.