Why modern football is broken beyond repair

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Ironing Board

Re: Why modern football is broken beyond repair

Post by Ironing Board » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:13 pm

James P wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:08 pm
And yet the last four World Cup finals have been featured seven different teams and the last four European Championship Finals have featured six. No team has retained the World Cup in nearly sixty years and the last eight European Championships have been won by seven different nations.

Paint it anyway you like, international football is not a procession and does not feature the same teams winning over and over again as in club football.
Dunno - most finals have at least one of Brazil, Germany, Italy, Argentina or France for as long as I can remember.

James P

Post by James P » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:26 pm

Ironing Board wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:13 pm
Dunno - most finals have at least one of Brazil, Germany, Italy, Argentina or France for as long as I can remember.
2010 didn’t.

Paolo's Piranhas

Post by Paolo's Piranhas » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:29 pm

For a few years now, the obvious bias and corruption of the PL has reached a level where I can barely watch it. And rarely do, unless it's a game we're in, or one that has some bearing on us. There's no real attempt to even hide it anymore.

Add to that the number of teams whose entire game plan seems to revolve around diving and feigning injury, almost every single time they lose the ball, are brushed up against, someone stands behind them, and I'm sick to death of it. The worst are the ones who go down and make that 'expectant' eye-contact with the ref. I f***ing hate them. I also hate the refs who 'fall for it' every single time - except when it's done by someone on the opposing team.

There are half a dozen teams who matter, to greater or lesser extent, and a couple of also rans. The rest are just there as cannon fodder.

Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:19 pm

James P wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:26 pm
2010 didn’t.
True, but then that just underlines the broader trend. Also, Holland are very much a force in the tournament with three finals appearances since the late 70s.

James P

Post by James P » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:34 pm

Ironing Board wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:19 pm
Also, Holland are very much a force in the tournament with three finals appearances since the late 70s.
And yet failed to qualify for the last two major international tournaments. Another indicator that international football is not a procession of the major forces.

Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:16 pm

James P wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:34 pm
And yet failed to qualify for the last two major international tournaments. Another indicator that international football is not a procession of the major forces.
One thing that is interesting about international football is it has lost so much prestige. When I was a kid the World Cup was a massive deal. That last tournament just felt like a chore that had to be got out of the way so the club season could begin.

SammyLeeWasOffside

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:35 pm

Regarding distributing money why not make teams pay a fee to the club loaning their player instead of charging a fee.

James P

Post by James P » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:08 pm

Ironing Board wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:16 pm
One thing that is interesting about international football is it has lost so much prestige. When I was a kid the World Cup was a massive deal. That last tournament just felt like a chore that had to be got out of the way so the club season could begin.
And these are exactly the comments I find interesting. Everyone is in full agreement the club game is ****ed with the same teams winning the leagues by bigger and bigger and margins every year and yet there’s a never ending stream of vague, non-specific complaints about international football getting in the way of club football. I truly don’t get it.

Moxy

Post by Moxy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:18 pm

Give me the World Cup over the prem any day. As a Republic of Ireland supporter most of the time we’re not there but I’ll still watch any game I can, if/when we get relegated I won’t be bothering to watch any prem games unless their on in the pub background.

Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:22 pm

James P wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:08 pm
And these are exactly the comments I find interesting. Everyone is in full agreement the club game is ****ed with the same teams winning the leagues by bigger and bigger and margins every year and yet there’s a never ending stream of vague, non-specific complaints about international football getting in the way of club football. I truly don’t get it.
I think the problem is there is just way too much footy on TV. The players just seemed to be going through the motions. In fact, it seemed they did not want to put themselves out to much in case they got injured!

HamburgHammer
Location: Too far away from Upton Park, Hamburg, Germany, to be precise

Post by HamburgHammer » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:37 pm

Where did the article explain why referees favour the big clubs ?
I didn't see referees mentioned there.

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:13 am

James P wrote:
And yet the last four World Cup finals have been featured seven different teams and the last four European Championship Finals have featured six. No team has retained the World Cup in nearly sixty years and the last eight European Championships have been won by seven different nations.

Paint it anyway you like, international football is not a procession and does not feature the same teams winning over and over again as in club football.
International football gets a very bad press from English football fans. Far more than fans from other countries. Probably because our club rivalries are so strong.
At the moment it is massive level playing field. There is no stand out international team and probably the top 10 could all beat each other.
No idea where this big club bias for England selection comes from anymore either. Southgate has proven time after time that he will pick from wherever to create a squad.

Modern footballers also get a very bad ride. It isn't their fault that footballers in the old days were so badly treated. Football generates huge sums of money so why shikdnt the players get rewarded like other professions like actors etc. At the end of the day they are the product. People from my generation i.e 40+ seem to have a real chip on their shoulder that these young blokes are earning loads of cash and enjoying the trappings of their wealth. Good luck to them I say. If they want to go to dubai and wear silly clothes and hang out with Stormzy, that is their look out.
I am sure the old players of yesteryear would be doing the same if they were around now and had the opportunity to. It doesnt make modern day footballers worse than the old players, they are just operating in a different environment

Graza

Post by Graza » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:26 am

James P wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:08 pm
I quite agree that there is greater diversity to a point, knocked a bit by France and Spain winning both major tournaments back to back (or Spain back to back to back).

As I said before England being **** at tournament football doesn't help. The last world cup we proved how **** we are at it by losing all 3 games played against real opposition (twice against the same one who also weren't good enough to make the final) whilst bunny beating some very weak teams and getting an easy run to the semi final. That route highlights my previous point also of too many teams meaning bucket loads of weak teams, meaning crap football.

Cap it off with the players. The South Africa world cup killed my interest in our national team. Multi millionaire "superstars" more interested in what their birds were up to and playing golf than representing the nation. Throw in scrotes like Lampard, Gerrard diving Muppets like Sterling, flavour of the month media picked darlings like Walcott (in his childhood). The whole thing is an absolute shambles in this country. Hampered by talented kids swallowed in whole generations by "big" clubs, swilled around in the lower leagues on loan and spat out ruined while they pay 70m for Carlos kickaball instead of giving them a chance.

International football doesn't get in the way of club football, it's **** and only kind of competitive. England compete like West Ham compete (they don't) but have media spin around it that somehow convinces people that every tournament will be the one we finally win (it won't), this is a serious factor in me being bored by it all, imagine if all the build up to our game against Man City was about how brilliant each individual player we had was and how we'd be beating them and going on to storm the league only to get battered 3-0 because that was never going to happen... The only opportunity it has for us is for one of our handful of internationals to get badly injured (Ashton/Lanzini) or Sullivan to see a young South American do something highlight reel worthy and stick a low ball bid in for.
Last edited by Graza on Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Graza

Post by Graza » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:33 am

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:13 am
No idea where this big club bias for England selection comes from anymore either. Southgate has proven time after time that he will pick from wherever to create a squad.
The 2018 squad had Delph in it.

Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"

Post by Wilko1304 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:03 am

International tournaments are the best.

Coaches matter more, style matters, problems can’t be solved immediately by money, players emerge into brilliance and can’t be taken away.

The fans are great, the matches matter, giants fall to their own arrogance

Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:29 am

Wilko1304 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:03 am
International tournaments are the best.

Coaches matter more, style matters, problems can’t be solved immediately by money, players emerge into brilliance and can’t be taken away.

The fans are great, the matches matter, giants fall to their own arrogance
Until the inevitable happens and a major nation wins the final!

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:28 am

Graza wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:33 am
The 2018 squad had Delph in it.
One player in the squad. Someone who that season had played 29 times for the Champions of England and who could play CM and full back.
Not really indicative of big club bias more Southgate picking an experienced player and leader who would add to the environment of the squad and be able to play in a couple of different positions. The kind of player you need to pad out the squad.

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:36 am

Ironing Board wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:29 am
Until the inevitable happens and a major nation wins the final!
The teams with better players win tournaments. Who would thunk it

Point is at the moment international football is competitive. You could argue the case for probably 8 teams to win the Euros and big tournaments can throw up a surprise (Greece, Denmark winning, Germany getting knocked out first round)

Football is no different to any sport. Some teams are better than others in the same way Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are better than others, or New zealand and England are better than others at Rugby, or Van Green is better at darts

Nearly every sport has a group of participants that start favourites for every event because they are better than others

BondsoBob

Post by BondsoBob » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:54 am

James P wrote:

Really? I would imagine the next World Cup will almost certainly be won by one of the following 'big 6'. France, Brazil, Spain, Germany, Argentina, Netherlands.
Not much difference from who can win the Premier league in any given season.

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:09 am

BondsoBob wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:54 am
Really? I would imagine the next World Cup will almost certainly be won by one of the following 'big 6'. France, Brazil, Spain, Germany, Argentina, Netherlands.
Not much difference from who can win the Premier league in any given season.
Your inclusion of Netherlands goes against your point. They recently failed to even qualify for two major tournaments.
Only one of those teams mentioned reached the semi finals of the last world cup.
Of course, like any sport, there will be teams who are consistently better than others but international football is by no means the same cabal of teams in the latter stages tournament after tournament