The Relegation Rebuild & Casualties

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

-DL-
Match thread guru

The Relegation Rebuild & Casualties

Post by -DL- » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:51 am

Goalkeepers

1. Lukasz Fabianski
25. David Martin
35. Darren Randolph

Defenders

2. Winston Reid
3. Aaron Cresswell
4. Fabian Balbuena
5. Pablo Zabaleta
20. Goncalo Cardoso
21. Angelo Ogbonna
23. Issa Diop
24. Ryan Fredericks
26. Arthur Masuaku
52. Jeremy Ngakia
53. Ben Johnson

Midfielders

8. Felipe Anderson
10. Manuel Lanzini
11. Robert Snodgrass
15. Carlos Sanchez
16. Mark Noble
18. Pablo Fornals
19. Jack Wilshere
20. Andriy Yarmolenko
28. Tomas Soucek
30. Michail Antonio
41. Declan Rice

Strikers

0. Jarrod Bowen
22. Sebastien Haller
27. Albian Ajeti

On Loan

0. Nathan Trott
12. Jordan Hugill
13. Roberto Jimenez Gago
33. Josh Cullen
37. Nathan Holland
45. Grady Diangana
54. Conor Coventry

So, this is what we currently have ^^^^

Who, out of the motley crue of, erm, 'talent' above do you think would stay, and who would go, or would be worth keeping as they could, to coin a phrase, "do a job"? (i INCLUDE OUT OF CONTRACT PLAYERSW IN THE DO A JOB BIT0

Jesus, looking at that, on paper we really shouldn't be where we are. Shame the game is played on grass....

#GSBOUT

Knighter10WHU

Re: The Relegation Rebuild & Casualties

Post by Knighter10WHU » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:02 am

Goalkeepers

25. David Martin
35. Darren Randolph

Defenders

3. Aaron Cresswell
4. Fabian Balbuena
20. Goncalo Cardoso
24. Ryan Fredericks
52. Jeremy Ngakia
53. Ben Johnson

Midfielders

11. Robert Snodgrass
16. Mark Noble
19. Jack Wilshere

Strikers

0. Jarrod Bowen
27. Albian Ajeti

On Loan

0. Nathan Trott
12. Jordan Hugill
33. Josh Cullen
37. Nathan Holland
45. Grady Diangana
54. Conor Coventry

Roughly what we would be left with... we would require a huge rebuild in all areas, particularly CB and CM (shock).

Coops

Post by Coops » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:02 am

There are a few who will obviously stay due to the wages we pay them and how permanently injured/crap they are.
Wheelchair will still be jumping out of washing machines on £120k a week no matter which division we are in.

hammers92

Post by hammers92 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:11 am

I wouldn't keep anyone who's been here for more than 3 years where the culture of accepting failure and the bare minimum is engrained. That includes letting go of the likes of Noble, Cresswell etc.

Accept that a huge rebuild is needed, appoint a director of football with a coach more in line with today's way of thinking and build a culture within the club of a certain way of playing, buying players that fit in line with that.

Completely rip up what isn't working, comparable example is someone like Brentford. Young players coming in, fitting the style of play and playing with full flowing confidence.

I actually think throwing money at it and trying to come back up in the first year is going to harm is further. Likes of Wolves, Sunderland and Stoke suffered for it.

Aceface

Post by Aceface » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:17 am

The amount of bunse that could be made from a relegation – certainly relative to last time – is there for all to see and should give pause to those who think Sullivan is going to be overtly suffer in the event we go down. Think of it as disaster capitalism – they find a way to profit even in the bad times.

Just five sales could realistically fetch £170m.

Rice
Haller
Anderson
Diop
Lanzini

It won't cost a fraction of that to replace them. And because they'd likely insist on leaving there'd even be plausible deniability that we even 'wanted' to sell them.

Who was it who wrote the article that claimed Sullivan had learned long ago how to make money from relegations?

DasNutNock2

Post by DasNutNock2 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:18 am

hammers92 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:11 am
Noble, Cresswell etc.
Would anyone take them? Can't think of many Prem sides that would, and their wages would be unaffordable to anyone outside the top tier.

Johnny Byrne's Boots

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:23 am

Bowen has a relegation release clause. Whether a Premier League club would pay the release fee is a different matter...

hammers92

Post by hammers92 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:24 am

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:23 am
Bowen has a relegation release clause. Whether a Premier League club would pay the release fee is a different matter...
Unless he does a Demba Ba I think we'll be ok imo.

Liam

Post by Liam » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:48 am

Aceface wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:17 am
The amount of bunse that could be made from a relegation – certainly relative to last time – is there for all to see and should give pause to those who think Sullivan is going to be overtly suffer in the event we go down. Think of it as disaster capitalism – they find a way to profit even in the bad times.

Just five sales could realistically fetch £170m.

Rice
Haller
Anderson
Diop
Lanzini

It won't cost a fraction of that to replace them. And because they'd likely insist on leaving there'd even be plausible deniability that we even 'wanted' to sell them.

Who was it who wrote the article that claimed Sullivan had learned long ago how to make money from relegations?

Interestingly selling those lot would also record a big accounting profit. As at the last set of accounts our whole squad (player registrations) had net book value of just £78.4m

At the end of this season both Anderson and Diop will have book values under £15m, lanzini has zero book value, same as rice. From an accounting perspective Haller is the only one on that list we'll take a bath on.

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:48 am

I think that list Knighter made is pretty spot on. Ogbonna and Fabianski might hang about as well
However if west brom go up and we get relegated I expect Diagana would want to sign for them permanently

Aceface

Post by Aceface » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:49 pm

Liam wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:48 am
From an accounting perspective Haller is the only one on that list we'll take a bath on.
I'm not even sure on Haller it would be bath.

He's recorded as being a £36m signing on Transfermarkt. If there is anything resembling a £45m deal, it will involve a whole lot of clauses that he won't likely have hit if we go down.

Given we just paid £22m for a Championship winger with no top level experience, I'd be surprised if we couldn't get most of that £36m back for a guy of a good age who scored 20 as recently as last year in a major league.

Even if not, there's a certain figure where it would be too low to make a permanent sale and he'd be loaned, probably back to Germany, to try and get his value back up.

I don't think there's any scenario where we see him disappear for under £30m.

Prob

Post by Prob » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:17 pm

I think Fabianski will stay unless a new promoted team wants him

Overchuffed

Post by Overchuffed » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:26 pm

Coops wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:02 am
There are a few who will obviously stay due to the wages we pay them and how permanently injured/crap they are.
Wheelchair will still be jumping out of washing machines on £120k a week no matter which division we are in.
If you believe the 50% pay cut relegation clause they supposedly all have then at least it will only be 60K p/week we are chucking down the drain with the dirty water from the washing machine.

As for players, I think Knighter10 has hit the nail on the head. It will be like 2003 all over again - a massive rebuild. Will need a few old championship heads to come in and take the game by the scruff of the neck.

a Starting XI of:
--------------------Randolph-----------------
Fredericks---New CB-----New CB---Cresswell---
Snodgrass-------Noble-----New CM-----Diangana
---------Bowen-----New CF------

Subs: Martin, Johnson, Cullen, Holland, New RM, Cardoso, Ajeti

Overchuffed

Post by Overchuffed » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:28 pm

Prob wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:17 pm
Why wouldn't they? He's unquestionably in the top 4 keepers in the league IMO.

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:39 pm

Overchuffed wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:28 pm
Why wouldn't they? He's unquestionably in the top 4 keepers in the league IMO.
He will be 35 by the time next season starts. he is certainly a good keeper but it depends who gets promoted and the GK they already have - West brom and brentford have very good goalkeepers for example so i doubt they would swap.
I am sure lots of Premier League clubs would want him as a back-up, but he might prefer to stick around with us as first choice

funky chicken

Post by funky chicken » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:47 pm

Prob wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:17 pm
I wouldn't be surprised if Chelsea make a move for him too. They may well lose Caballero and will probably ditch Kepa too, who Fat Frank seems to have lost faith with.

Lovejoy2

Post by Lovejoy2 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:09 pm

The players I'd want to keep (based on being potentially suitable for the Championship) should we drop through the trap door,

Goalkeepers

1. Lukasz Fabianski
35. Darren Randolph

Defenders

3. Aaron Cresswell
4. Fabian Balbuena
20. Goncalo Cardoso
21. Angelo Ogbonna
52. Jeremy Ngakia
53. Ben Johnson

Midfielders

11. Robert Snodgrass
16. Mark Noble
28. Tomas Soucek
30. Michail Antonio
41. Declan Rice

Strikers

17. Jarrod Bowen

On Loan

33. Josh Cullen
37. Nathan Holland
45. Grady Diangana
54. Conor Coventry

Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub

Post by Het-Field » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:20 pm

There is a split over who I’d like to keep and who I’d expect to keep. Unlike 2011 when we dumped and sold over 20 players, I don’t think that will happen this time and a large amount of the squad will stay.

Haller, Anderson, Fornals, Diop will all have suitors on the continent. Rice and Fabianski will he sought after domestically. That’s six players. Zabaleta will be released along with Carlos Sanchez (You generally don’t rehire out of contract players on relegation). At which point that leaves us with

Randolph
Martin
Trott
Ryan F
Johnson
N’Gakia
Cresswell
Masuaku
Ogbonna
Balbuena
Reid
Cullen
Noble
Snodgrass
Antonio
Bowen
Diangana
Ajeti.

With other young lads you could foresee very little in the way of incoming, perhaps a few freebies around the fringes. The manager is already in place with Moyes.

kenthammer1984

Post by kenthammer1984 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:30 pm

if the majority of our players are likely to have their salary cut in half if we drop, then is there such a massive need to have a clear out?

surely we could sell a few and keep most of them, which should be enough to be competitve in the Championship

iLoveLasagne

Post by iLoveLasagne » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:38 pm

kenthammer1984 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:30 pm
if the majority of our players are likely to have their salary cut in half if we drop, then is there such a massive need to have a clear out?

surely we could sell a few and keep most of them, which should be enough to be competitve in the Championship
I'd rather trade most of them if it was up to me. Prefer young, exciting, hungry Championship players with room to develop rather than jaded, unmotivated, crap mercenaries.