The Relegation Rebuild & Casualties

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Samba

Re: The Relegation Rebuild & Casualties

Post by Samba » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:09 pm

Lovejoy2 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:09 pm
The players I'd want to keep (based on being potentially suitable for the Championship) should we drop through the trap door,
You forgot Sanchez.

spod

Post by spod » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:40 pm

Het-Field wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:20 pm
that leaves us with

Randolph
Martin
Trott
Ryan F
Johnson
N’Gakia
Cresswell
Masuaku
Ogbonna
Balbuena
Reid
Cullen
Noble
Snodgrass
Antonio
Bowen
Diangana
Ajeti.

With other young lads you could foresee very little in the way of incoming, perhaps a few freebies around the fringes. The manager is already in place with Moyes.
I honestly think most people have forgotten that Wilshere plays for us.

Pulls up Trees

Post by Pulls up Trees » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:43 pm

Isn't it telling that most of us couldn't give a toss if they all went?

In every relegation, we've had players that it was painful to see leave. Not this time.

funky chicken

Post by funky chicken » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:54 pm

Pulls up Trees wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:43 pm

In every relegation, we've had players that it was painful to see leave. Not this time.
Yep. To be honest even if we stayed up there would still be more players I'd shift than keep.

spod

Post by spod » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:54 pm

-DL- wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:51 am
Goalkeepers

1. Lukasz Fabianski
35. Darren Randolph

Defenders

2. Winston Reid
3. Aaron Cresswell
4. Fabian Balbuena
20. Goncalo Cardoso
21. Angelo Ogbonna
24. Ryan Fredericks
52. Jeremy Ngakia
53. Ben Johnson

Midfielders

10. Manuel Lanzini
11. Robert Snodgrass
16. Mark Noble
19. Jack Wilshere
30. Michail Antonio

Strikers

0. Jarrod Bowen
27. Albian Ajeti

On Loan

0. Nathan Trott
12. Jordan Hugill
13. Roberto Jimenez Gago
33. Josh Cullen
37. Nathan Holland
45. Grady Diangana
54. Conor Coventry
It's mad, isn't it? Up front, if someone came in for Bowen, we'd have Ajeti, Silva plus the option of Hugill.
Midfield would be decimated too. We'd be lumbered with Wilshere. Snodgrass and Noble would be our grizzled veterans. Antonio would only stay if no one else wanted him. Same goes for Lanzini. We'd essentially have not one midfielder who was young, fit and happy to be here, other than returning loanees. Diangana and Holland could be important. Cullen and Coventry probably not to be relied on.

hammers92

Post by hammers92 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:06 pm

There's absolutely no way Diangana is going to conceive the thought of coming back if we drop. Defoe style transfer request incoming.

westham,eggyandchips

Post by westham,eggyandchips » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:33 pm

Aceface wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:17 am

Just five sales could realistically fetch £170m.

Rice
Haller
Anderson
Diop
Lanzini
Anyone thats seen Lanzini play lately will agree you wont be getting much for him!!

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:36 pm

spod wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:54 pm
It's mad, isn't it? Up front, if someone came in for Bowen, we'd have Ajeti, Silva plus the option of Hugill.
Midfield would be decimated too. We'd be lumbered with Wilshere. Snodgrass and Noble would be our grizzled veterans. Antonio would only stay if no one else wanted him. Same goes for Lanzini. We'd essentially have not one midfielder who was young, fit and happy to be here, other than returning loanees. Diangana and Holland could be important. Cullen and Coventry probably not to be relied on.
If we got relegated and our squad was decimated we would drastically re-build, same as we did in the summer of 2011
The owners could re-build to challenge effectively and still take a massive profit from the sales

61dicksey

Post by 61dicksey » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:41 pm

DasNutNock2 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:18 am
Would anyone take them? Can't think of many Prem sides that would, and their wages would be unaffordable to anyone outside the top tier.
Fulham might if they get promoted , not sure shat the wage structure would be at the cottage.

Boooogers!

Post by Boooogers! » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:47 pm

Maybe controversial, but I'd sell Noble if we go down. Although he'd probably hold his own in the Championship it's time we moved on from him and I'd be concerned that if we keep him the owners will put off rebuilding the midfield for at least another year.

Aceface

Post by Aceface » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:58 pm

Pulls up Trees wrote:

The pain isn't in the leaving. It's a delayed poison pill delivered gradually over the course of the following season when one or more of them tears it up in a more functional team. That pain increases over time as the top division begins to feel further away, which happens even if you're top in February – the separation doesn't feel acute when the season kicks off, the sun is out and the feeling is new. But you'll know your place when Anderson is playing CL football with Chelsea, Rice has started saying "we" about Man United, Rio-style and Fabianski delivers a clean sheet for Sheffield United in the Europa League, while you've just spent January in negotiations to sign Lewis Grabban for £2.5m.

Boooogers!

Post by Boooogers! » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:03 pm

Aceface wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:58 pm
The pain isn't in the leaving. It's a delayed poison pill delivered gradually over the course of the following season when one or more of them tears it up in a more functional team. That pain increases over time as the top division begins to feel further away, which happens even if you're top in February – the separation doesn't feel acute when the season kicks off, the sun is out and the feeling is new. But you'll know your place when Anderson is playing CL football with Chelsea, Rice has started saying "we" about Man United, Rio-style and Fabianski delivers a clean sheet for Sheffield United in the Europa League, while you've just spent January in negotiations to sign Lewis Grabban for £2.5m.
I reckon in 12-18 months time your post will look like an eerily good prediction!

Gazwhu66

Post by Gazwhu66 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:39 pm

Didn't the Bowen deal stall and almost collapse due to the relegation wage drop and subsequently reported relegation release clause that was put into his contract?

This signing at the time seemed to me like a player desperate to get into the Premier League at the first opportunity, hence the baffling decision to join the WH Circus. However, I also think he will be looking to jump ship at the first opportunity, perhaps even having 'feelers' out there now via his agent, should relegation happen.

There isn't a chance IMO that he stays if we drop.

Believer

Post by Believer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:45 pm

Gazwhu66 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:39 pm
Didn't the Bowen deal stall and almost collapse due to the relegation wage drop and subsequently reported relegation release clause that was put into his contract?

This signing at the time seemed to me like a player desperate to get into the Premier League at the first opportunity, hence the baffling decision to join the WH Circus. However, I also think he will be looking to jump ship at the first opportunity, perhaps even having 'feelers' out there now via his agent, should relegation happen.

There isn't a chance IMO that he stays if we drop.
I think he will. I reckon the deal he will have negotiated is to not get a 50% wage drop

Pulls up Trees

Post by Pulls up Trees » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:49 pm

I thought it was a relegation clause that allowed a club to buy him for £20m?

Gazwhu66

Post by Gazwhu66 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:56 pm

Pulls up Trees wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:49 pm
I thought it was a relegation clause that allowed a club to buy him for £20m?
Reported release clause of somewhere around 20-25M. Whatever the amount it shows that the player, his advisors, or both were planning for next season and being in the PL before putting pen to paper with us.

funky chicken

Post by funky chicken » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:23 pm

Goalkeepers

1. Lukasz Fabianski *
25. David Martin
34. Nathan Trott
35. Darren Randolph

Defenders

3. Aaron Cresswell
21. Angelo Ogbonna *
23. Issa Diop *

24. Ryan Fredericks
52. Jeremy Ngakia
53. Ben Johnson

Midfielders

11. Robert Snodgrass
16. Mark Noble
30. Michail Antonio *
33. Josh Cullen
37. Nathan Holland
41. Declan Rice *
45. Grady Diangana

Strikers

12. Jordan Hugill
17. Jarrod Bowen
27. Albian Ajeti
32. Xande Silva

The players in red are the players I'd like to keep, but I think are unlikely to stay. Rice and Diop especially. I think Ogbonna 'may' stay though. And unless he pushes for a move I'd try and keep Antonio as well.

Albian Ajeti is my wildcard player to take a gamble on keeping. To see if he can have a Winston Reid season as the season in the Championship seemed to be the making of him and I am hopeful the same thing could happen to him. The fact Championship's West Brom were looking at him before we signed him is pretty telling.

The funny thing is this list would be the exact same for me even if we stayed up. Minus I wouldn't then keep Hugill, Cullen and Ajeti. And I would then keep Soucek & Anderson too.

Assuming the players in red 'do' leave we at least don't need a goalkeeper as we have last season's Championship goalkeeper of the season in Randolph, with Martin as adequate back-up. I don't think we'll need a rightback as Johnson is at the age we'd likely look to loan him to a Championship club, which we will be. So having him supporting Fredericks and young Ngakia is fine. West Brom who are top of the League have done it with Nathan Ferguson at the back for a lot of the season. We have good experienced players in Noble and Snodgrass, with Cullen as adequate back-up with his Championship experience. And decent attacking options with Diangana, Snodgrass with his set pieces, a Championship goalscorer in Bowen and even having Hugill who can score a minimum of 10-12 goals sitting on the bench isn't too shabby. Possibly Antonio to add to that list too IF he stays who scored a bucket load of goals the last time he played at that level.

We would need: A leftback, (at least) 2x centre halves, a defensive midfielder, central midfielder, attacking midfielder and a striker IMO.

ParkersHere

Post by ParkersHere » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:26 pm

Gazwhu66 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:56 pm
Reported release clause of somewhere around 20-25M. Whatever the amount it shows that the player, his advisors, or both were planning for next season and being in the PL before putting pen to paper with us.
Hopefully he will be putting himself in the shop window with his performances and banging in a few goals.

WienIron

Post by WienIron » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:31 pm

Boooogers! wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:47 pm
Maybe controversial, but I'd sell Noble if we go down. Although he'd probably hold his own in the Championship it's time we moved on from him and I'd be concerned that if we keep him the owners will put off rebuilding the midfield for at least another year.
The problem isn't Noble - it's the owners using Noble as an excuse for years not to invest in the midfield. Getting rid of Noble isn't gonna change their mentality to put in minimal investment while keeping the value of West Ham >500m for a sale to investors.

Not convinced by those who say they'd be happy with relegation. That would put at risk 100m (and growing) TV income every year, no doubt reducing value of their asset by hundreds of millions.

e17

Post by e17 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:49 pm

Pulls up Trees wrote:

In 2003, we lost or let go of Kanoute, Sinclair, Winterburn, Di a Canio, Schemmel, Cole, Johnson and L. Ferdinand, and fairly quickly, lost Carrick and Defoe too. A brutal list of casualties, and a still staggering reminder of just how out of his depth Roeder was in his job.

In 1989, we let go of John Lyall. Nothing else needs adding. But we also quickly had the whole Paul Ince situation hit us too.

In 2011 we quickly lost or let go of Parker, Ba, Gabbidon, Hitzlsperger (who never really got going because of injury), Boa Morte, Upson, Spector, Obinna, Keane, Bridge and da Costa. A lot of dross there, but Parker and Ba was gutting.

Like you say.. this lot?

Declan Rice, Diop and Fab. The rest I couldn’t give a f*** about