Next England Manager (non WHU)

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Who would like to see as next England manager??

Mourinho
33%
Redknapp
16%
Lippi
3%
Capello
14%
Scolari
3%
Pearce
5%
Wenger
4%
O'Neill
6%
Allardyce
1%
Coppell
2%
Hughes
1%
Klinnsman
4%
Hiddink
3%
Bilic
2%
Curbishley
5%

Total votes: 400

double D

Post by double D »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote: My passion for the National Team left me abotu 3 years ago !!! :thdn:

No thanks.. :wink:
I think you speak for most of the nation :wink:
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Southend Hammer wrote:Why do people confuse nationalism with xenophobia? The whole premise of international competitions is based on nationalism so why would it not be natural to extend that nationalism to the selection of the manager?

If you are referring to me, I am not confusing it at all.
There is nothing about nationalism by wanting a British manager as the next best thing after an English manager.
I ask, in a national sport,- what is the difference between a Scot and an Italian?
Bobby Orangeboom wrote: I wasn't going to start slagging track records, but they're both Foreigners at the end of the day, difference is one is a bit more local than the other !!
Exactly
Because a Scot is more familiar than the foreign Italian, it therefore feels safer for some people to accept.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

double D wrote:
I think you speak for most of the nation :wink:
I dont think he does, by any strectch of the imagination. :wink:

mark my words you will all come out of the woodwork like glory hunters if/when we get further than the quarter finals.
double D

Post by double D »

carnage wrote: I dont think he does, by any strectch of the imagination. :wink:

mark my words you will all come out of the woodwork like glory hunters if/when we get further than the quarter finals.
My passion for football as a whole is no where as strong as it was when I was in my Teens and Twentys, I support West Ham and sometimes get excited and I support England and sometimes get excited, Passionate???
I'm not sure??? if I have any left its Claret and Blue passion I have. :wink:
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

My view is that you should always look for the best english manager and if none of them are suitable you extend your search to te rest of the world.

In this case I don't see what choice the FA have.

If they had stuck to my view we never would have ended up with that mug McLaren.
Torquemada

Post by Torquemada »

'Morning RARS.....I have no wish to be antagonistic towards your viewpoint mate but you did start the slur with the xenophobe tag. I would much prefer an English manager over a British one as I have said earlier and I hope somebody doesn’t come along and find a dirty word to describe that as jingoism or something. Look at xenophobia from the other end of the telescope and just say it describes somebody who prefers his own countrymen to aliens, it’s a common sentiment with just about every other mainstream footballing nation I can think of. I suppose they must be xenophobes too by your reckoning?
To go for somebody just because they look good on paper is a form of international glory hunting and, as previously mentioned, a good CV does not constitute the best bloke for the job. Personally I would be embarrassed and disappointed if Barwick goes Italian. The success of the Italians hasn’t taken place in our own league has it? If you track back through this thread I think I was the first to suggest Jurgen Klinsmann was the only foreigner to tick all the boxes if we really wanted to go down that path because at least we can say that he played in our league with good success, scored for fun, was player of the year, very popular with the fans, left on good terms, speaks fluent English…….in other words about as ‘local’ a foreigner as you could wish for and has won a world cup medal to boot so respect for him from the players would not be a problem. But even with all his credentials I’d still go for Moyes as I think he’d do a better job but I’d have an Englishman over any of them, yes even Steve Coppell with his nervous disposition. The only one I’d draw the line at would be ‘Arry, not because of the allegations against him but because he’s given two fingers to English talent and has gone down Wenger’s route. Doesn’t look good on his CV does it and the players under him would possibly have it in the back of their minds that he thinks they can’t cut it.
I obviously have a different sentiment towards our three neighbours than you, but like FIFA, would have to really exaggerate their differences to regard them as foreign which ‘logistically’ they are. We’ll have to leave it at that, as I said words don’t explain it.
Torquemada

Post by Torquemada »

carnage wrote: I dont think he does, by any strectch of the imagination. :wink:

I'd like to think we'd all come out of the woodwork no matter who was in charge. Now is the time to express your opinion strongly, before the appointment is made. Once the bloke is in the job, whoever it is, we should shut up and put up. If it ends up being an Italian I won't be banging on about him not being the right choice...it'll be too late then.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Torquemada wrote:'Morning RARS.....I have no wish to be antagonistic towards your viewpoint mate but you did start the slur with the xenophobe tag. I would much prefer an English manager over a British one as I have said earlier and I hope somebody doesn’t come along and find a dirty word to describe that as jingoism or something. Look at xenophobia from the other end of the telescope and just say it describes somebody who prefers his own countrymen to aliens, it’s a common sentiment with just about every other mainstream footballing nation I can think of. I suppose they must be xenophobes too by your reckoning?
To go for somebody just because they look good on paper is a form of international glory hunting and, as previously mentioned, a good CV does not constitute the best bloke for the job. Personally I would be embarrassed and disappointed if Barwick goes Italian. The success of the Italians hasn’t taken place in our own league has it? If you track back through this thread I think I was the first to suggest Jurgen Klinsmann was the only foreigner to tick all the boxes if we really wanted to go down that path because at least we can say that he played in our league with good success, scored for fun, was player of the year, very popular with the fans, left on good terms, speaks fluent English…….in other words about as ‘local’ a foreigner as you could wish for and has won a world cup medal to boot so respect for him from the players would not be a problem. But even with all his credentials I’d still go for Moyes as I think he’d do a better job but I’d have an Englishman over any of them, yes even Steve Coppell with his nervous disposition. The only one I’d draw the line at would be ‘Arry, not because of the allegations against him but because he’s given two fingers to English talent and has gone down Wenger’s route. Doesn’t look good on his CV does it and the players under him would possibly have it in the back of their minds that he thinks they can’t cut it.
I obviously have a different sentiment towards our three neighbours than you, but like FIFA, would have to really exaggerate their differences to regard them as foreign which ‘logistically’ they are. We’ll have to leave it at that, as I said words don’t explain it.
I do completely understand & respect your way of thinking Torque & take my hat off to you for thinking that way & showing a bit of nationalism & even Britishism ( new word created just for you :wink: ).

I just think that if any of these " local " Foreigners are to be our Manager though, the only one with the right credentials unfortunately, is Taggart !!!

My own personal opinion of course & neither right nor wrong..
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:If you are referring to me, I am not confusing it at all.
There is nothing about nationalism by wanting a British manager as the next best thing after an English manager.
I ask, in a national sport,- what is the difference between a Scot and an Italian?
I do agree with you, but I can see why some would think that having some of the names mentioned above as England manager would be a good idea. There is a perception that British football is at its best when played with passion. Sven displayed no passion when sitting on the sidelines watching England.

Some see Moyes or McLeish or O'Neill pumped up watching a game and say "that's what we need". But why would a 'foreigner' display any passion when managing England? It's just a job. A very well paid job.

If you want passion from your manager, give the job to Pearce. He would pay the FA.
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

BTW is Fabio Capello the bloke that PDC called "Penis Head"?
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

The Collector wrote:BTW is Fabio Capello the bloke that PDC called "Penis Head"?
from today's guardian...looks like it was the other way around:

When Di Canio asked why he cared so much about the result of a friendly, Capello shot back with a barrage of expletives and added: "Your face looks like a penis." Di Canio never played for Milan again.
Torquemada

Post by Torquemada »

jacko wrote: from today's guardian...looks like it was the other way around:

When Di Canio asked why he cared so much about the result of a friendly, Capello shot back with a barrage of expletives and added: "Your face looks like a penis." Di Canio never played for Milan again.
I suppose that's a hell of alot better than saying 'your penis looks like a face'. But if that's his way of motivating it doesn't bode well for some of our lads does it?
Torquemada

Post by Torquemada »

Some see Moyes or McLeish or O'Neill pumped up watching a game and say "that's what we need". But why would a 'foreigner' display any passion when managing England? It's just a job. A very well paid job.

If you want passion from your manager, give the job to Pearce. He would pay the FA.

Very good point mate. Also when these foreigners start getting emotional on the touchline you're not sure if it's genuine or just for the benefit of the supporters. When this new Spurs bloke started waving his arms about during his first game in charge you just knew he was acting a part.
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

[quote="Torquemada"]Some see Moyes or McLeish or O'Neill pumped up watching a game and say "that's what we need". But why would a 'foreigner' display any passion when managing England? It's just a job. A very well paid job.

If you want passion from your manager, give the job to Pearce. He would pay the FA.[quote]

I guess because theyre passionate about winning every match - even a friendly - if you believe the tales of rowing with Dicanio posted here, it sounds like giving less than 100% is a dangerous thing to do if managed by Mr Capello
mrchewy

Post by mrchewy »

Torquemada wrote: I obviously have a different sentiment towards our three neighbours than you, but like FIFA, would have to really exaggerate their differences to regard them as foreign which ‘logistically’ they are. We’ll have to leave it at that, as I said words don’t explain it.

As an English kid growing up in Scotland, I fail to see how The FA could EVER employ a scot to manage England. It is bred into their bones to hate us with all the passion they can muster. They are far more 'foreign' to us than a german, italian or spanish person could ever be. Fergie has been down here how long? He's no more English or British than Lenin or ET

Last time round I wanted O'Niell or Capello. This time I want Capello. O'Niell has done nothing since McClaren was appointed, Capello has.
mattjp
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by mattjp »

The Collector wrote:Some see Moyes or McLeish or O'Neill pumped up watching a game and say "that's what we need". But why would a 'foreigner' display any passion when managing England? It's just a job. A very well paid job.
But none of Moyes, McLeish or O'Neill have any prior ties to the clubs they manage, yet they are 'passionate' managers. That wouldn't change if they managed England, would it?
Southend Hammer

Post by Southend Hammer »

Bruchweg wrote: Of course it's about competition between nations,
but wouldn't i be real nationalism if you would like to have what it's the best for your nation? And not beeing so short-minded saying: "It ha' to be an english!" :lol:
My point is that the selection of the team is based on your nationality (or your parents nationality) so the whole thing is a nationalistic endavour. To suddenly accuse people of xenophobia based on prefering an English manager is ludicrous. Who would be most succesful in that position is a seperate question.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

The Collector wrote:
& be prepared for an era 10 times worse thatn the Maclaren era... :thdn:

If you want passion, give the job to me, i'll show you passion & i'd also pay the FA, & i'd probably do a better job that Pearce too...
:wink:
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

International sport should be a test of your countries credentials in that sport and that includes players, managers and to some degree staff.

France should have a French manager, Germany a German manager, Italy an Italian and so on. I believe this should be through all team sports at a national level.

This will never happen though and I have no problem with a foreign manager as the rules stand at the moment.
Torquemada

Post by Torquemada »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote: & be prepared for an era 10 times worse thatn the Maclaren era... :thdn:

If you want passion, give the job to me, i'll show you passion & i'd also pay the FA, & i'd probably do a better job that Pearce too...
:wink:
You and me both mate except that I'd probably do some weird stuff too. For example during that last match against Croatia Beckham found himself in the left back position a couple of times and to be honest I breathed a sigh of relief when he was on the ball because Wayne Bridge was absolutely ****ing useless. I'd have said 'stay there Becks and play left back while I get this useless tw@t off'.