Ljungberg targets top four - POLL

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Ljungberg - right to call for a top four finish?

Poll ended at Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:18 pm

Yes - we should be aiming high
63%
No - it's completely unrealistic
32%
Unsure
5%

Total votes: 273

West Ham Tom

Re: Ljungberg targets top four - POLL

Post by West Ham Tom »

It did work for a while in our first season up. But unfortunately i think some of the players really did start to believe him and it backfired on him and us.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Up the Junction wrote: He was great at soundbites, for sure. Shame he couldn't back it up with actions - or get his players to believe him.
I actually think Curbishley could get us there tbh...people have their doubts over him I know, but his signings showed ambition, he can't help the injuries, and we are a team who are very hard to beat. I think when everyone is fit, we'll see our proper footballing performances, like we did Sunday. I think we only aren't that entertaining when Curbs doesn't have a choice who to play. It was just a case of playing who wasn't injured.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

West Ham Tom wrote:It did work for a while in our first season up. But unfortunately i think some of the players really did start to believe him and it backfired on him and us.
It was some of the players though...

Ljungberg believes we can do it...he is experienced, knows what it takes...is a professional.
Reo-Coker believed his own hype...was after one good season, became a cockey ****, and failed.

Having players like Bellamy, Ljungberg, Faubert, Dyer, Upson, Parker, Ashton and Neill to challenge for a top four place...is different to having Harewood, Reo-Coker etc...
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

We are yet to play Liverpool twice, Chelsea, Man U and Everton again and i fear our constant injuries will put pay to us finishing much higher than 8th tops.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

Up the Junction wrote: He was great at soundbites, for sure. Shame he couldn't back it up with actions - or get his players to believe him.

I used to think you were a big fan of him UTJ!
SxHammer
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 55 likes

Post by SxHammer »

Nothing wrong with what Ljungberg is saying and hopefully the players will learn and be inspired by him.

I'm more concerned about the fans believing him than the players to be honest.
I don't for one minute think we can finish in the top 4, i'd still be more than happy with top 10.
Bobby Orangeboom

Re: Ljungberg targets top four

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

k-r-c wrote:And then we can draw Palermo away again
& i'll have you in my pocket for the 2 days if we do, don't worry... :wink:

Still say that Palermo was the finest Food i've ever eaten when we stumbled accross a lovely little Family run Gaff that i'll never forget but will remember where it is if pushed, so i for one will be ok if we draw them again.. :lol:

Anyway, back to Mr Ljungberg & the top 4, Everton aside, i think we're certainly good enough to be above anyone else in the League so 6th place should really be what we're looking at but you never know, Liverpool are dreadful at the minute & i think are on course for their worst Season for decades IE finishing outside the Top 4 which is a lot worse in thsi day & age than in previous years when they haven't, beat them next week, 9 points from the easier home games that we have, win at ***** Fart Lane, nailed on win against Man Ure like we always do, beat Chelski for once, win at Everton aswell as a little payback for those horrible few days were they mugged us twice & Mr Ljungberg, all of a sudden, is on the right path !! :raver:
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Probably due to all is European, World Cup and International experience being fairly thin on the ground.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Georgee Paris wrote:Probably due to all is European, World Cup and International experience being fairly thin on the ground.
Lucky we've got Curbs now then.
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

Do be successful you have to aim high, i voted we should be aiming high.

As Glen Roeder would say, You should have a Positive outlook in life, i share the same belief.
If you go into games thinking you aint got a chance, then you dont have a chance.
Ljungberg has got the winning mentality which Wenger installed in Arsenal, so he knows what it takes to be
successful and i'm sure hes a great role model to all our youngsters as well.

Good old Freddie :)
Last edited by TrickyDicky on Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Marky wrote:I used to think you were a big fan of him UTJ!
He did a great job initially with limited resources. It's when he turned into Billy Big b*llocks that it all went wrong; Brian Belton sums it up nicely in his new book (Brown Out).

You can say a lot of things about Curbishley - and you do :wink: - but he is a far better manager than Pardew will ever be.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

ljungberg targets top four? where's he going then?
DMC

Post by DMC »

I think Europe is reachable this year.

We have the 5th best defensive record in the league, The best outside the 'Big 4'.

The main players we have had out,I feel are players that are our more attack minded players. Dyer, Bellamy,Faubert and Zamora. That added with Ashton not being properly fit is looking like a team capable challenging the teams that are expected to be in Europe.

Think its a good time to be a West Ham Fan. Im looking forward to the rest of the season, i believe we will start seeing a team that is capable of scoring goals aswell as keeping Clean sheets. Which i dont think we have been able to say for a while
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Up the Junction wrote: He did a great job initially with limited resources. It's when he turned into Billy Big b*llocks that it all went wrong; Brian Belton sums it up nicely in his new book (Brown Out).

You can say a lot of things about Curbishley - and you do :wink: - but he is a far better manager than Pardew will ever be.
Sorry for going off topic but am i not mistaken in saying that actually buying that Book would line that Man's pockets because i'm desperate to read it but don't want to give that ****ing Man any more of my money, if you get my drift ???
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:Sorry for going off topic but am i not mistaken in saying that actually buying that Book would line that Man's pockets because i'm desperate to read it but don't want to give that ****ing Man any more of my money, if you get my drift ???
Even though he took the club for £40m I'd be very surprised if that wasn't that case Bob.

Though having just finished it, I reckon you'd spend the whole time swearing and cussing at the pages anyway :wink:
MS in the West

Post by MS in the West »

Personally, I think Pardew was a 'Very Good Thing' for WHU. Cardiff games, promotion Cup Final, minute form winning the Cup, Europe, da de da - we all know it.

He left us in a shambles, granted, but all's well that end's well - Curbishly and a few key players sorted that in the end, and here we are, top half Premier Club with some amazing memories from the last 4 years.

Better that than Leeds or Nottingham Forest - and it was Pardew who played a huge part in averting that fate.

Probably I'm boring, but hey, I'm glad Pardew was our manager. Now we're in a different place, and as some on here know, I suspect Curbishly might be a very good manager indeed who has only now, with moneybags BG behind him, got the chance to show how good.

And - back on topic - that makes Freddie's aim the right one, even if it's a long shot. But then, which club knows about long shots better than us?
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

MS in the West wrote:I suspect Curbishly might be a very good manager indeed who has only now, with moneybags BG behind him, got the chance to show how good.
He's showing he's a good manager without actually spending that much of BG's fortune though, isn't he? :wink:

As regards Freddie, it's absolutely the right attitude. However, if we do actually achieve it we will have to be very careful - as I said somewhere else, remember what happened to Everton a couple of seasons back. :think:
johnpantsil

Post by johnpantsil »

Albie Beck wrote: He's showing he's a good manager without actually spending that much of BG's fortune though, isn't he? :wink:

As regards Freddie, it's absolutely the right attitude. However, if we do actually achieve it we will have to be very careful - as I said somewhere else, remember what happened to Everton a couple of seasons back. :think:
Look where they are now though...
Nick W
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Nick W »

it would have been a 3 pointer if he had passed rather shooting against man city!!!
prince_huggy
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by prince_huggy »

I'd love it if we get in the top 4, much like everyone else on here but I can't even see us making a UEFA spot this year.

Champs League? Maybe next year :wink: