Sweden 2-3 England (Group D)

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

kesh

Sweden 2-3 England (Group D)

Post by kesh »

Match 16.

From the Uk v Swe game, i'd put Carroll up with Welbeck, as Melberg let Shev in twice. Young left, Ox or or Walcott right and have Johnson/Cole overlapping. Sweden are poor Imo.

Hart
Johnson - Tery - Lescott - Cole
Walcott - Gerrard - Parker - Young
Carroll - Welbeck
'stone hammer
Has liked: 785 likes
Total likes: 546 likes

Re: Sweden vs England

Post by 'stone hammer »

Can see England nicking it, but Sweden will be organised defensively, and Ibrahimovic will be a threat from set pieces. Hopefully Terry and Lescott will be able to handle him
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Seems Carroll will start. Bad move IMO. Just because the Swedes conceded 2 headed goals against Ukraine, we seem to think that Carroll will come straight in and bang the goals in. I think Hodgson has forgott that it was a little unknown player called Shevchenko that scored those headers, Carroll couldnt lace his boots.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Its not just at set pieces that Ibra the Giant will be dangerous. In a totally different way, he's just as - if not more - dangerous than Benzema. Holds the ball up brilliantly, dominates most defenders marking him and has a shot like a cannon.

Fortunately, across the rest of the team, the Swedes are not as strong as France.

We'll need to be patient, but this is the game that we really want to ensure we win.
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Post by Claretdave »

If we finish second in this group we play Spain next, hence there is a premium on winning the group.

Sweden seem to be the weakest side in the group.

A regulation 442, with Welbeck and Carroll up top, whichever of our inconsistent winger can put in a cross or two on the flanks and the rest as it was.

Oh, and the keeper made a bad error against France and his handling was dodgy - bring Green in!
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Claretdave wrote:If we finish second in this group we play Spain next, hence there is a premium on winning the group.

Sweden seem to be the weakest side in the group.

A regulation 442, with Welbeck and Carroll up top, whichever of our inconsistent winger can put in a cross or two on the flanks and the rest as it was.

Oh, and the keeper made a bad error against France and his handling was dodgy - bring Green in!
Hart is a very good keeper, but I wish the press would stop bigging him up like he's a cross between Dino Zoff and Gordon Banks, cos he aint.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1168 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Dunno where this idea Ibra is a threat from set pieces comes from. Its an assumption based on his height. I expect us to be comfortable from all set pieces today. I expect us to win the game because of them in fact.
Voronin

Post by Voronin »

fjthegrey wrote:Dunno where this idea Ibra is a threat from set pieces comes from. Its an assumption based on his height. I expect us to be comfortable from all set pieces today. I expect us to win the game because of them in fact.

I´m pretty sure you´re right. We /(Sweden) can´t defend on set pieces, comceded goals on corners in the last three games. Ibrahimovic is a threat on set pieces though, and we might score on one, but we´ll conceed for sure.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Seems Carroll will start. Bad move IMO.
Good move, in my opinion. We haven't got the players to pass it though their defence so a lot of our play tonight will come from the flanks. Not sure why but I have a good feeling about Carrol in this tournament. I just hope the ref isn't on his back from the off
Ricky Boy
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Ricky Boy »

fjthegrey wrote:Dunno where this idea Ibra is a threat from set pieces comes from. Its an assumption based on his height. I expect us to be comfortable from all set pieces today. I expect us to win the game because of them in fact.
I agree. If anything, we're hoping Ibra can exploit the space (if any!) between your back four and the midfielders.

I also agree you have every right to be confident about scoring from a set piece, cause we don't seem able to deal with them. As I said elsewhere, we've now conceded from a corner three games in a row!

Sweden 0 England 2, unfortunately.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Matches between these two are normally very tight affairs and I don't see this being any different. I see a draw myself. Either 0-0, or perhaps a 1-1
Voronin

Post by Voronin »

Puff Daddy wrote:Matches between these two are normally very tight affairs and I don't see this being any different. I see a draw myself. Either 0-0, or perhaps a 1-1
Can you please stop being humble. The english arrogance has always been our biggwst advantage, and today it´s probably our pnly chance :lol:
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

f*** you Voronin

We are going to stuff your lot you piece of ****

Better?
D C
Has liked: 1125 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by D C »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Seems Carroll will start. Bad move IMO. Just because the Swedes conceded 2 headed goals against Ukraine, we seem to think that Carroll will come straight in and bang the goals in. I think Hodgson has forgott that it was a little unknown player called Shevchenko that scored those headers, Carroll couldnt lace his boots.
Seems a bad idea to me aswell. Shevchenko got his via excellent movement that Carrol could only dream of. Sweden have slightly clumbsy, slow defenders. Should be looking for Welbeck to do a job on them imo.
Gothenburgiron

Post by Gothenburgiron »

I really hope we win this one, i've had to listen all week about how 'England have never beaten Sweden in a competitive match'. A win would make Monday morning very enjoyable.
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

D C wrote: Seems a bad idea to me aswell. Shevchenko got his via excellent movement that Carrol could only dream of.
You reckon Shevchenko can move better than a man about half his age?!!
Only messing, I know what you mean. Intelligent use of movement, rather than moving about like Usian Bolt
D C wrote:Sweden have slightly clumbsy, slow defenders. Should be looking for Welbeck to do a job on them imo.
Maybe
I can see an argument for each and every one, in fairness
Welbeck is the all-rounder, so to speak. Quick and strong, but still has that physical presence
I imagine the Swedes will relish the physical battle with Carroll more than they would fancy playing against some of our other strikers, but that doesn't mean he'd have no chance of winning the battle

If their defence is as slow and clumsy as you suggest, it could be a game when Defoe might be a very good option, either from the start, or from the bench later on
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3687 likes
Total likes: 2411 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

I'd play the same team again. We'll win this... :thup:
Voronin

Post by Voronin »

Yea Why Not wrote:**** you Voronin

We are going to stuff your lot you piece of ****

Better?
:thup:
Voronin

Post by Voronin »

Swedens starting XI is out. Looks like we´re going for more physical presence. Like it, bit I´d really like to see Wernbloom instead of Svensson:

----------------------------------------Isaksson
Granqvist-------J.Olsson......................Mellberg------M. Olsson
----------------------------Svensson--------------Källströn
Larsson-----------------------------Ibrahimovic---------------------Elm
------------------------------------------Elmander
claretcloggy

Post by claretcloggy »

Voronin wrote:Swedens starting XI is out. Looks like we´re going for more physical presence. Like it, bit I´d really like to see Wernbloom instead of Svensson:

----------------------------------------Isaksson
Granqvist-------J.Olsson......................Mellberg------M. Olsson
----------------------------Svensson--------------Källströn
Larsson-----------------------------Ibrahimovic---------------------Elm
------------------------------------------Elmander
J. olsson on the right? he's left footed! :?