Gareth Southgate

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Rust
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Re: Gareth Southgate

Post by Rust »

He's so intelligent and I wonder if his penalty miss has lead to the humility he has, which is a huge reason he's so good.

I actually love him.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

I don’t love him, I’m in love with him.
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

I like it Dan. Always leave yourself a back door.
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by 1966 »

This great team makes me hate Cole/Lampard/Gerrard/Terry/Rooney/Erikson even more. Never thought that possible.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

1966 wrote:This great team makes me hate Cole/Lampard/Gerrard/Terry/Rooney/Erikson even more. Never thought that possible.
The “golden generation” have been shown up for the self promoting under achievers they were.

Lot of time for the likes of Rio and Lamps as pundits, but when they or Gary Neville & co are sat there giving advice to this lot, they should probably remember; they’ve already achieved more in England shirts than they did.

I read an article this morning with Trippier sheepishly brushing off comments about Beckham’s crossing, and thought to myself how much more of a team player these lot are.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

To be fair, the bunch managing our “golden generation” were mostly at fault. Sven & Cappello were a couple of overrated designer managers, McClaren an obsequious moron, and Hodgson was noble yet deeply limited.

I’m still convinced the FA, sponsors, and “big” clubs were influencing the squad far too much during those years.
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by 1966 »

[/quote]
The “golden generation” have been shown up for the self promoting under achievers they were.

Lot of time for the likes of Rio and Lamps as pundits, but when they or Gary Neville & co are sat there giving advice to this lot, they should probably remember; they’ve already achieved more in England shirts than they did.

I read an article this morning with Trippier sheepishly brushing off comments about Beckham’s crossing, and thought to myself how much more of a team player these lot are.[/quote]

The likes of Rio, Scholes, the Neville Brothers, I liked these players even when they turned out for Mau Utd.

But I remember the evening after Germany had dumped us 4-1 in 2010 popping into Tesco's to grab some stuff. I was burning up inside with anger when I saw Terry, Lampard, Gerrard etc all lined up on the packaging of a Carlsberg 6 pack looking mean and moody and trying to look intimidating when they had just proved that they only perform big against Wigan, Hull and Reading week in week out.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Joey Cole was born out of time. Imagine him in this Southgate side....
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

DasNutNock wrote:To be fair, the bunch managing our “golden generation” were mostly at fault. Sven & Cappello were a couple of overrated designer managers, McClaren an obsequious moron, and Hodgson was noble yet deeply limited.

I’m still convinced the FA, sponsors, and “big” clubs were influencing the squad far too much during those years.
I've thought exactly the same for years Dan.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

And to think if we’d still had Neville and Hodgson running the show, Kane would be taking corners.

Many years ago I knew his dad who worked for IBM in Croydon. He was, unsurprisingly , also a decent man himself and a proud father of the then Palace skipper.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Porkeyes wrote:Win or lose tomorrow Southgate has made me like England again. Just look at some of the fists in that list of managers above. I hated the non-English ones who were paid fortunes to do the job. Looking at Gareth when he celebrates it really means something especially as in the depth of his mind he must have the miss in '96 lurking.

Good luck to the man he deserves and has earned the praise which will come his way.
Well said Porky.

It pains me, but i'd also give The F.A. a bit of credit for getting him in.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Westbourne Bill wrote:And to think if we’d still had Neville and Hodgson running the show, Kane would be taking corners.
I still can't get my head around this, to this day it still baffles me

The big problem with our was the talisman never turned up, and we were obsessed with "names, Rooney I think got what 2 goals in the last tournaments he played in, that is absolutely abysmal but we still persevered with him, expecting different results, same with most of England's big name players Gerrard, Lampard etc, to be Cole was the best England performer for years.

The difference is this year our talisman Kane has turned up big time along with others,
EllisWHU22
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by EllisWHU22 »

He's from my home town and there is petition for a statue of him to be built :lol: :lol:

In saying that we have an outdoor cinema but there is no massive screen to watch the Semi's or the final if we make it.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

I was completely under chuffed at his appointment.

But the man has been sensational, he has bought the whole country together, the wave of optimism that we are currently riding, is up there for me, and most will look back at this summer as one of the best in their lifetime, such is the impact this England team is having.

He is a proper gentleman who conducts himself superbly.

Very proud.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Westbourne Bill wrote:And to think if we’d still had Neville and Hodgson running the show, Kane would be taking corners.

Many years ago I knew his dad who worked for IBM in Croydon. He was, unsurprisingly , also a decent man himself and a proud father of the then Palace skipper.
Hodgson is a decent manager but that remains one of the most stupidest decisions I've ever seen.
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

After many years in following football it occurred to me that what is required to be a good international manager is completely different from being a good club manager.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

I suspect picking the right personalities for his squad was as important to him as their ability. It might well have been a factor in the exclusion of Wilshere and Shelvey.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

I'd let him shag my wife if we win the World Cup, and evict Christian Dailly from that classic song.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

sendô wrote:I'd let him shag my wife if we win the World Cup, and evict Christian Dailly from that classic song.
Steady on!
Hindley Hammer
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by Hindley Hammer »

sendô wrote:I'd let him shag my wife if we win the World Cup, and evict Christian Dailly from that classic song.

One way of getting your wife interested in the match :D