Gareth Southgate

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Re: Gareth Southgate

Post by r99c »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a video of him out on the pitch late last night after all the non-England fans had gone home, orchestrating the crowd as they sing his song.

The final penalty kick was at 11.50pm local time so lord knows what time it was when this video was taken. For him to come out and do that at such an hour after such a mentally exhausting game shows true class, that he identifies with the supporters and values their support.

Think back to our season with players not bothering to run over and clap the away fans literally after the game finishes at what, 4.50pm, Ok it's not the biggest gesture what Southgate did there but it oozes class.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

Never underestimate the determination of a quiet man!

Southgate has restored some pride and humility to an England setup that was in desperate need of it. As others have said a lot of work has gone on behind the scenes with the younger age groups and it's beginning to have the desired effect. We'll need some (a lot) of luck to bring home the prize at this tournament but he's already exceeded my expectations and repaired a number of years damage.
The Terminator
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 57 likes

Post by The Terminator »

I've finally fallen back in love with England after god knows how many years and it's largely down to Southgate, I have a huge amount of respect for him, just love seeing him celebrate when we score, it actually means something to him and we know it.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

First England manager I can remember to go into a tournament with an actual system and a game-plan, and not still be experimenting with new formations and line-ups by the 2nd group game.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

When you consider how quickly some ex-pros let themselves go after retiring, Southgate doesn't half look prim, youthful and in great shape still. He exudes fine sartorial elegance.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Playing for England, doesn't look like a chore under Gareth, like it was during previous regimes.

Players, fans, media he has bought us all together.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

somerset-hammer wrote:Playing for England, doesn't look like a chore under Gareth, like it was during previous regimes.

I see an interview from Kane where he was saying the vibes in camp is like a boys holiday without the alcohol, sounds like they are really enjoying it.

Strangely having a squad that isn't made up of key players from the top teams in the prem seems to actually be benefiting us, as the rivalries that used to exist during the golden generation era no longer exist.
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

The video of him going out to see the lads and lasses still in the ground sums up the fella, I’m sure you’ve all seen the pin stripes on his waistcoat by now and the actual words on it

But I will admit I was in the meh camp at his appointment too and extremely vocal too in my disappointment

I was very wrong , the man has galvanised a nation of football fans and beyond, in a country where petty team rivalry has become more important than our countries healthy football, and I am and have been sucked into that, I hated most previous squads and most players within them, and some was rational some not so

He has changed that, ok so Alli and sterling are not my cup of tea and I don’t get the Henderson thing, but if Gareth trusts them, I support them in our countries shirt

The odd thing is it was a late night watching tv , and the Super Bowl in Yankee Doodle dandy land, on the beeb if I remember correctly, and they had him as a guest in the box they were in at the ground during half time, he was on for 20 mins or so and the way he spoke conducted himself and explained why he was there to learn from the set ups in American football and other sports baseball hockey etc, and how any little bit could be an advantage, he won me over that night and I’ve respected him for his honesty hard work endeavour and clarity in his commentary on his squad and his team ethic

Glad he got the job

Top lad

And if we go out to Sweden on Saturday I will not change this message

We are a work in progress and we have made so much progress on the pitch off the pitch and as a country of football and non football fans

God knows what Saturday afternoon will be like in the Uk but here in France it is manic for us expats , I can only imagine toi his mad silverstone will be after the qualifying on Saturday with the big screens theee

Proud to be English always have been but so much more than ever now
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Sicknote - what you say about us being a work in progress is a message that rings true with me and no doubt many others and is a great example of how Gareth is managing expectations.

Regardless of the result on Saturday, England will always have had a part in a good World Cup, rather than it being a case of ‘Yeah, it was a good World Cup but England were rubbish!’
Haarlemammer
Has liked: 369 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by Haarlemammer »

sicknote wrote:The video of him going out to see the lads and lasses still in the ground sums up the fella, I’m sure you’ve all seen the pin stripes on his waistcoat by now and the actual words on it

But I will admit I was in the meh camp at his appointment too and extremely vocal too in my disappointment
Top post :thup:
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

He looks a bit like a horse, but I love him. x
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

sicknote wrote:The odd thing is it was a late night watching tv , and the Super Bowl in Yankee Doodle dandy land, on the beeb if I remember correctly, and they had him as a guest in the box they were in at the ground during half time, he was on for 20 mins or so and the way he spoke conducted himself and explained why he was there to learn from the set ups in American football and other sports baseball hockey etc, and how any little bit could be an advantage, he won me over that night and I’ve respected him for his honesty hard work endeavour and clarity in his commentary on his squad and his team ethic
I remember seeing this and it's refreshing to have someone from football that get's the fact that football can learn things from other sports. Gareth strikes me as being the total opposite of the "ya know, err, ya know :arry: " footballer/manager. I'm not the biggest fan of NFL (loved playing Madden though back in the day) but our set pieces resemble NFL plays and have been highly effective. I also don't really recall seeing these set pieces before the World Cup (If we did I missed em) so he kept them back as a surprise for the tournament. Nice.

Always be learning,....
wilf
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by wilf »

Agree with Faithless re the Sir Alf bit
Disappointed that the stripes on waistcoat were Photoshop or is that fake news
Tip toeing towards being
Sorta positive
....... :crest:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

@ Sicknote

watched that NFL final on the beeb too..he came across bloody impeccably...

said that he had spent the previous week watching the practices and talking to the coaches etc. and tried to learn how coaching at the very highest level worked.

like yourself a bit meh at the appointment, but considering how well he had done with the u-23's I was prepared to give him a go.

anything after the group stage with the players that he has (no really creative AMF) at his disposal and considering how young they are, he has gone WAAAAY up in my estimation.

I would like to see Sterling and Alli out for this game. We need workers against the Swedes and some physically. RLC is way bigger than Sterling.

I did get coated off for saying Sterling is a one trick pony, but I believe he is. And at this level it is easily found out and dealt with. He thrives on being around Aguero, David Silva, Jesus et all and having no De Bruyne in our set up doesn't help him at all........Think the Ox would have played in his place were he fit...

Thought McGuire and Trippier well deserved their place, Kyle Walker had his one cock-up per game as usual. The Swedes might not be so obliging although their forwards records combined I reckon are worse than Sterling's.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

somerset-hammer wrote:Playing for England, doesn't look like a chore under Gareth, like it was during previous regimes.

:thup:
sandbanks

Post by sandbanks »

As a tailor, when I saw the images of the waistcoat, I was a bit curious and did a bit of digging. Whilst I would have loved it to be true it was in fact photo-shopped. The England team and Southgate are contracted to wear the navy 3-piece suits from M&S. I also contacted cloth merchants who have the capability to produce a personalised cloth such as 'It's coming home' but none have done so.

Doesn't take away from the fact that he's doing a good job though.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Looking back at when we first met..
MK Hammer 3

Post by MK Hammer 3 »

Did you see the look in Kane's eyes after his John Cleese impersonation at the end of the match? Just can't bear the thought of the 50 years of the Spuds saying they won the World Cup :cry:
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

MK Hammer 3 wrote:Did you see the look in Kane's eyes after his John Cleese impersonation at the end of the match? Just can't bear the thought of the 50 years of the Spuds saying they won the World Cup :cry:
Sky has preconditioned supporters into caring about seeing players who up sticks every couple of years now anyway as “belonging” to their club, it sells subscriptions

As a kid, I honestly did not care who Robson, Gazza, Wilkins, Barnes or Shilton played for when England played. As long as they played for England.

Kane can score 4 in the final and I would be happy.

No one actually cares that Martin Peters played as much for Spurs as West Ham, or that Mooro tried to go there before the very tournament he won as WHU captain. Sky hasn’t turned football into hollyoaks then
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

All credit to Southgate but he has just been doing what we all wanted an England manager to be doing.
Just how bad has he made Hodgson, Capello, McClaren & Eriksson look?
I would have said Allardyce, as well but he did have a 100% win-rate... :wink: