Sterling

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DasNutNock

Sterling

Post by DasNutNock »

Along the same lines as that Lukaku piece that came to attention a couple weeks ago. Read this:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us ... ll-a-dream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
badabing
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Re: Sterling

Post by badabing »

A good read. I hope it's going to click for him at the World Cup, as the press and the keyboard warriors love a scapegoat, and I fear it will be him if it all goes wrong.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Enjoyed reading that. Dunno how much of it was actually penned by himself but nevertheless it paints him in a far more amiable light. Is everybody now going to start publish these mini memoirs though? Ravel, Dimi, Ali, Pogba, John Terry, Diego Costa, Ramos...
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Not sure he is a scapegoat per se.

He hasn't delivered when in fact Kane needs help. Has offered very little, created not much and missed a sitter from 2 yards out.

He's having a tough time. We want to win. It's not unusual for people to want a change to see if we can get more than one goal from open play.

No one (at least that I can see from the posts overall) is slagging him on unnecessarily....

Personally if he plays I hope he scores. It will do him and us good. I am nut offering him as a be all end all for our ills, what few we have. I would like to see a change. If Southgate doesn't that's fine with me. He has to however take it on the chin if Sterling doesn't deliver again. Lingard has offered little. But he scored a Worldie. Although in the scheme of things it didn't make or break the game.

Not sure Ashley Young has done better than say Rose or Delph could. Again I admire Southgate for sticking with "his guys" who got the team where they are.

Nit picking. I want to see a team that gives us a better chance of winning, and in my v.h.o. he isn't in my selection policy.

Still if he is, I will be cheering him, but groaning if he keeps allowing things to break down, on run down blind alleys as he did last game.

Hope I don't have to.
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2192 likes
Total likes: 168 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

Agree with you Cuenca....I can see why he’s in the side and whilst he’s extremely frustrating with his end product, his pace and movement scares the oppo and gives a bit more room for others. If he could just add that final pass or finish then we’d be an ever better side for it
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 927 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Got a feeling that he’ll finally cure himself of his ‘miss from 2 yards’ disease today!!!
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

1003 days since he scored for England - a long time and a lot of games without a goal, he just needs to stop thinking and put his foot through the ball.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

As per my post on #59 Sweden v England - Quarter Finals ~ Match thread

I think he'll do it today, been critical of his contribution so far but today is his day, C'mon Raheem!!!
Dave Hedgehog
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Dave Hedgehog »

Talk of him going nearly three years without scoring for England reminds me of Alan Shearer going 21 months without scoring for England before Euro 96 and the clamour to drop him before the start of the tournament.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

The longer Sterling goes without scoring the more chance he will get the winner in the final, football is like that.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

ageing hammer wrote:The longer Sterling goes without scoring the more chance he will get the winner in the final, football is like that.
I think I could take that.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

If you do loads of other things like our old mate Hesky did, it's forgivable..a bit...

but what else did he do ?? Honest ?????
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1318 likes
Total likes: 776 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

Played well today. A crucial part of the team.
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

He really is a conundrum. He drove Sweden mad with his runs, but he always let them recover because he had no idea what to do once he had the ball. His mandate should just be you get the ball you give the ball to Kane immediately.
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1318 likes
Total likes: 776 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

There's a good bit of this team being greater than the sum too. Unchanged first 11 to the end.
leyton Hammer
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by leyton Hammer »

He drives me mad when playing for England, never any end product, seems to lack any kind of footballing brain and will probably win the World cup with the ball bouncing off his enormous arse into the goal for the winner!
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

leyton Hammer wrote:He drives me mad when playing for England, never any end product, seems to lack any kind of footballing brain and will probably win the World cup with the ball bouncing off his enormous arse into the goal for the winner!
It is almost in the stars, Sterling to score the winner after it smacking him in the balls.
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

Korea Hammer wrote:There's a good bit of this team being greater than the sum too. Unchanged first 11 to the end.
Yeah, I don’t know if you can start changing the side. It’s working . Doesn’t mean they can’t work on him though. Give him one Mississippi to move or shoot the ball. (Apologies for the Americanism)
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

Korea Hammer wrote:There's a good bit of this team being greater than the sum too. Unchanged first 11 to the end.
WCpete wrote: Yeah, I don’t know if you can start changing the side. It’s working . Doesn’t mean they can’t work on him though. Give him one Mississippi to move or shoot the ball. (Apologies for the Americanism)
No need to apologise, Pete. An explanation would be handy, however. :thup:
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Opinions eh

After Pickford, he was MOTM for me

Football is not always about just scoring