Germany vs Italy

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

simon hammer
Has liked: 963 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Bloody typical. I ALWAYS back the Italians, and they always seem to let me down, so this year I backed...

yup, the Germans.

ffs.
double D

Post by double D »

pablo jaye wrote:...what a fantastic game - I've been impressed by both sides so far in the World Cup...no one gave the Germans a hope at the start and they've done well through strength of character and playing positive football (an 'if only' for England there!!) ...and as for the Italians they've been technically superb and just about edged it last night - Buffon's save was fabulous (Lehman were't bad too - did he get to every corner?) and IMO Cannavaro has been the player of the tournament ...Forza Italia!! ..oh yes and Allez Les Bleus ce soir!!
The German team and the German public all expected to win the whole competition such was their arrogance.

Cannavaro was immense last night what a great defender he is, reads the game so well.

Italy played some wonderful stuff and in particular they played the game fair, which is unusual for them, lets hope they play the same in the final and win it.

Come on the Azzure!!!!!
Bruchweg

Post by Bruchweg »

oooohh what a game.
Italy had the better chances so it was deserved, congrat. to all the italian hammers.
But still I'm proud of my team, fantastic tournament! 8-) Klinsi did everything right.

Btw funny to hear we saw us allready in the final, great comment with no base, just suspicious. :twisted:

Expected that the italians over here in germany would make great noise, but never knew how small their number is, you could see just a few.
bluebutterfly
Agony aunt
Has liked: 1 like

Post by bluebutterfly »

Didn't see all of the game, blut glad the Germans lost.

Still they don't have far to travel home do they :lol:
Bruchweg

Post by Bruchweg »

bluebutterfly wrote:Didn't see all of the game, blut glad the Germans lost.

Still they don't have far to travel home do they :lol:
And you don't know how glad i was when i heard the penalty shoot out with portugal on radio! :lol:
Love west ham but can't like the english team of arrogant, tanga wearing and so on....
:wink:
hammerbenj

Post by hammerbenj »

anyone else see ballack go down holding his face when hit on the shoulder in extra time??

the second time he has done this in the tournament.............. :x
Bruchweg

Post by Bruchweg »

hammerbenj wrote:anyone else see ballack go down holding his face when hit on the shoulder in extra time??

the second time he has done this in the tournament.............. :x
That's true, hate that on him.
Italians havent' done this as much as you know it from them.
Interesting to see if Ballack will stop that next year!
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

****ing excellent display from the Italians. I knew they were capable of it, but f*** me when it comes it's still a shock.

Easily the best game of the tournament last night. End to end all night long. The ref was excellent, he made the game as good as it was by not blowing for every little foul. Cannavaro immense, incredible player, Pirlo fantastic, Gilardino, Totti, Gattusso. Italy's passing was fantastic, bypassing the German midfield like they werent there.

That was a perfect example of how a defensive team can play beautiful attacking football. Take note Steve McClaren. Attacking til the end, even when a goal up Del Piero sprinted the length of the pitch to score the second and kill the game.

Forza Italia!
Northern Paulo
Punster extraordinaire

Post by Northern Paulo »

sendô wrote: Easily the best game of the tournament last night. End to end all night long. The ref was excellent, he made the game as good as it was by not blowing for every little foul. Cannavaro immense, incredible player, Pirlo fantastic, Gilardino, Totti, Gattusso. Italy's passing was fantastic, bypassing the German midfield like they werent there.

That was a perfect example of how a defensive team can play beautiful attacking football. Take note Steve McClaren. Attacking til the end, even when a goal up Del Piero sprinted the length of the pitch to score the second and kill the game.
Totally agree. I thought the Germans were pretty good too at times. It made a change to see players in white shirts actually passing to eachother without always resorting to the long ball or wnaky stepovers. :lol:

The total commitment from both sides was also excellent, which is all I want from our teams. It's easier to accept defeat (to an extent) if you know that they've given their all. It really showed up some of our players in that respect.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1154 likes
Total likes: 897 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Poor old Lehman must have been getting deja vu when the Italian full back produced a copy of Zamora's shot at Highbury ;)
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

Cannavaro is the best defender in the competition.
Whufc06
Has liked: 122 likes
Total likes: 367 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

bonehead wrote:a mate of mine is on holiday in Majorca watching the game in a bar......says it's full of Germans and the England fans are going mental........wish I was there :D

don't understand the commentators saying it's a shame one team had to lose......Italy had all the best chances and passed the ball better for most of the game

not really an Italy fan, but can't stomach seeing the Germans bully their way to the final........that Ballack challenge was a disgrace
What challenge was that? Surely not the barge on Iaquinta?
Bruchweg

Post by Bruchweg »

Marky wrote:Cannavaro is the best defender in the competition.
Over the whole tournament? Well, yes you're right.
bonehead

Post by bonehead »

Whufc06 wrote:
What challenge was that? Surely not the barge on Iaquinta?
depends which one you mean, the one I am referring to is the one where the forward, LaQuinta I think, was moving back to jockey for position as the ball came down and Ballack steamed over and flattened him, then pretended it had been a clash of heads and that he was injured, looking around to check when he was safe to get up again.....the replay clearly showed Ballack's head wasn't involved in the premeditated, dirty and conniving 'challenge'

don't tell me, you don't think there was anything wrong with it and it was just a fair barge and an accidental clash of heads?......if that is the case, you could qualify to be a referee......the ability to be mugged off by cheating and play acting is a requirement.....if not, please excuse me
BonzoBonkers
Yellow card - abuse

Post by BonzoBonkers »

felt sorry for the Germans actually.
I don't much care for the Italians to be happy as i have had a few runs in with my local mafia, and would much rather they were crying in their pasta than laughing into their vino.....was a good match though and England would have been shown to be a laughing stock i reckon if they had played the likes of Italy, Germany or France.
Looking forward to tonight and France all the way for me now. Zidane i have the utmost respect for, just hope Henry sticks to playing football and not feigning an injury.
WHJ
Location: BMU - Soaking up the Boleyn atmosphere before we lose it forever>

Post by WHJ »

double D

Sorry mate, got to disagree with you. I spent 3 weeks over in Germany and far from being arrogant, the German people were actually very dissmissive of their teams chnces at the start of the tournament. As it went on, and they got results, by playing attacking football, their hope naturally grew but as recently as Sunday when I left Dortmund, the Germans I met were very wary of Italy. They were hoping to get to the Final and win, why wouldn't they, but arrogant they definite weren't. I went out there with a few prejudices and I can honestly say I don't have them any more.

I wanted the Germans to win last night based purely on the way they played in the tournament up to that point. More attacking than Italy. However after the best game of the tournament the best team won last night. Congratulations Italy.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Marky wrote:Cannavaro is the best defender in the competition.
I reckon that young full-back Lahm takes some beating personally ... did I read he's with Bayern now?
loveboatcaptain
Yellow card - abuse

Post by loveboatcaptain »

double D wrote: The German team and the German public all expected to win the whole competition such was their arrogance.
And the English haven't? All we hear about whenever a tournament comes along is how England have the best side ever, this is their year etc. Even after playing 4 games of absolute drivel everyone expected us to win.
bonehead

Post by bonehead »

loveboatcaptain wrote: And the English haven't? All we hear about whenever a tournament comes along is how England have the best side ever, this is their year etc. Even after playing 4 games of absolute drivel everyone expected us to win.
not sure that's really the case though

although not as excited by this world cup due to all the marketing and greed, in 'looking forward' to it, in all the conversation I had with various mates and work colleagues, I didn't come across anyone expressing any belief we were going to win it

then a few of weeks before it started...bosh, the media are claiming we're going to win it and suddenly England expects......I was asking at the time "where the hell has this optimism suddenly come from?!?"

too much dictation of how people feel by the newspapers in my opinion
Whufc06
Has liked: 122 likes
Total likes: 367 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

bonehead wrote: depends which one you mean, the one I am referring to is the one where the forward, LaQuinta I think, was moving back to jockey for position as the ball came down and Ballack steamed over and flattened him, then pretended it had been a clash of heads and that he was injured, looking around to check when he was safe to get up again.....the replay clearly showed Ballack's head wasn't involved in the premeditated, dirty and conniving 'challenge'

don't tell me, you don't think there was anything wrong with it and it was just a fair barge and an accidental clash of heads?......if that is the case, you could qualify to be a referee......the ability to be mugged off by cheating and play acting is a requirement.....if not, please excuse me
I agree that Ballack was not hurt, both players were blatantly playing for the foul. You say that Iaquinta was jockeying for position, watch it again, the ball was landing at least 5 yards from where he was standing. He was obviously trying to block Ballack and play for the freekick. IMO they were both as bad as each other.