saturday's gossip 7th august includes west ham now updated

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

saturday's gossip 7th august includes west ham now updated

Post by cockney hammer »

the mirror

Stoke make record bid for Cole - Exclusive

Stoke City boss Tony Pulis has made a £12million bid for West Ham’s Carlton Cole.

And the Hammers are happy to let him go.

The deal for the England striker is worth £9m up front with a further £3m on appearances, giving West Ham enough money to buy a replacement.

Boss Avram Grant wants Everton’s Yakubu and hopes a £7m-plus bid will persuade David Moyes to sell.

The merry-go-round started yesterday as cash-rich Stoke went back in for Cole after their bid to land French striker Loic Remy stalled after Nice demanded £14.3m for him.

The Potters now want to get Cole signed in a club record swoop.

Hammers supremos David Sullivan and David Gold are poised to accept the bid.

With Everton willing to sell Yakubu at the right price, the deals could be done by next weekend.

the mirror

Brescia line up Hammers trio

West Ham's Alessandro Diamanti is a loan target for Brescia and Parma.
The Italian striker, 27, earns £30,000-a-week, but is not part of boss Avram Grant’s plans.
Brescia also want to take Hammers’ Swiss defender Fabio Daprela and Czech midfielder Radoslav Kovac to Serie A.

sky sports

Ben's big move

It was one of the biggest transfer deals of the summer when Ben Shephard made the switch from GMTV to Sky Sports.

One of the best-known faces on British television joins us ahead of our biggest ever season of live football after a decade with ITV's breakfast show.

Now Sky Sports viewers can look forward to watching Ben co-present Goals on Sunday with Chris Kamara every weekend, as well as fronting selected live UEFA Champions League matches.

Ahead of his first show on Sunday morning, skysports.com caught up with Ben to find out why he decided to move into sports broadcasting.

He also talked about his footballing heroes, his love for West Ham and why he's not looking forward to doing karaoke with Kammy...

skysports.com: What attracted you to working in sport?
BEN: I grew up as a huge sports fan, a huge football fan and, for my sins, a huge West Ham fan. One of my greatest passions is being able to run around like an idiot and take part in as many sports as possible, so to get the chance to talk about sport professionally is a dream come true. It's a good excuse to not be in the pub talking about football - and my wife can't believe she can't moan about me watching football any more. It's research!

skysports.com: And what drew you to Sky Sports?
BEN: Well Sky has been at the forefront of so many technological advances in TV. I've worked in telly now for nearly 12 years and Sky are consistently breaking boundaries. There's HD, there's the best studios and now the onset of 3D, which I saw the other day and it's incredible. Being in an environment that is ground-breaking is really exciting for me in terms of my experience. I've done all sorts of exciting things in my career in broadcasting, but this is something completely new.

skysports.com: Who are you looking forward to working with?
BEN: There are some fantastic people at Sky. I'm a huge admirer of Richard Keys, who has been one of the best broadcasters around for years and I think Jeff Stelling is remarkable. Then there's all the analysts like Andy Gray, Jamie Redknapp, Tony Gale, Paul Merson and all the other characters. And then there's Kammy of course...

skysports.com: Are you ready to sit on a sofa with Chris Kamara every Sunday morning?
BEN: I'm a bit nervous because I'm not particularly good at karaoke and I think I'll have to get a song out for him at some point. I'm not sure my 'Jailhouse Rock' will live up to expectations! But the thing that I love about watching Chris Kamara is his passion and his enthusiasm. I love being able to enthuse people about stuff I'm excited about and whenever you talk to people about Kammy, without fail they just love how much he's enjoying what he's doing. I think it's going to be an absolute pleasure and I don't doubt I'm going to learn an awful lot about football from him because he's been at the coalface as a player, a manager and a broadcaster for years. And if he can help me tune up my singing voice as well them my wife will be pleased!

skysports.com: When did your love of football begin?
BEN: I went to school in Chigwell in Essex and football was all we played. With training and matches I played football five times a week and then I played rugby on a Sunday too. My mum always said I was like a dog; I just needed to go outside and run around! Kicking a football around with my mates was the heartbeat of everything I did and schoolwork or piano practice just got in the way.

skysports.com: Were you ever close to going pro?
BEN: No. I played football like a rugby player - a lot of enthusiasm, but not much class. I've been lucky to play in some televised games and anybody's who's seen me will know I'm more noted for my very-badly-timed tackling than my striking! I'm a better rugby player than I am a footballer, but my chance of being a professional athlete fell apart when I realised how tasty beer was and how much fun girls were. That's what I blame it on!

skysports.com: Why did you choose West Ham?
BEN: My family are all from the Midlands and are all Villa fans, but when I went to school in Chigwell at the age of 10, all of my friends were West Ham. They were the first team I went to see play and for years we used to go down and sneak in as Under-12's, even when we were much older. It was the most exciting atmosphere and the energy was - and still is - like nothing else I've ever experienced. Walking into your home ground and being surrounded by people who are so passionate is a singular sensation that can't be replicated, no matter how hard you try. I still get that buzz when I turn up to West Ham now.

I've been lucky enough to get to know some of the players I used to look up to and play football with them, which is a big thrill for me. I'm like a competition winner when I play with some of those guys; I'm like any other football fan would be when I meet those people.

skysports.com: Who are your footballing heroes?
BEN: I have a huge amount of respect for Tony Cottee and Frank McAvennie, who are two legends of West Ham. I know TC quite well now and he's a brilliant bloke. Then there's Tony Gale, Alan Devonshire and Julian Dicks, who probably personifies my dream footballer. He was so committed and wore his heart on his sleeve - and he could smash a penalty in like nobody else!

Further down the line, Paolo Di Canio is one of the greatest advocates of the type of football that West Ham fans like seeing played. I got to play with him in Soccer Aid two years ago and although people say you should never meet your idols, he was everything I could possibly hope for and more. He was really passionate about West Ham, he still hopes to be the manager one day, and hopefully he will come and be part of the club again because he is an icon.

skysports.com: How do you think West Ham will get on this season?
BEN: After last year, any West Ham fan would say we just need a bit more consistency. We've got the spine of a great team in Carlton Cole, Scotty Parker, Mark Noble, Robert Green and James Tomkins and if everybody can play consistently around them we can play the football that fans of West Ham love to see. Hopefully Avram Grant will deliver that.

They say winning is a habit and last year we'd go on a good run, only to see it all fall apart. I saw the boys play Chelsea just before Christmas and we deserved to win that game and I walked away wondering why we were down the bottom. The potential is there and every West Ham fan can see it. Let's consolidate this season and then get in the Champions League next year!

skysports.com: Speaking of the Champions League, you'll be presenting some of the live games this year. Do you think we'll get an English winner this season?
BEN: I hope so. We've got teams that can do it and once you reach the business end you just need a little bit of luck and hope you can avoid injuries. The United and Chelsea squads, in particular, have got experience throughout and they have the depth to go all the way. I'm obviously a huge Harry Redknapp fan as well, so I'd love to see Spurs get in there and mix it up. It would be tremendous for English football if they could go on a run. I love watching the teams from all around Europe, but for me it makes it even more tantalising when there's an English interest because I'm a patriot at heart.

the mirror

Bobby Moore's widow unhappy with cup snub

Bobby Moore's widow has hit out at West Ham for ditching a benefit game for their legendary former captain’s cancer charity.

Stephanie Moore MBE was stunned last month after being told the club were renaming the Bobby Moore Cup – which takes place at Upton Park today when the Hammers play Deportivo La Coruna.

It is now called the SBOBET Cup – and angry fans have launched a ­petition to have it reversed.

West Ham argue that they will continue to support the Bobby Moore Fund through branding, advertising and other contributions.

SBOBET are also due to make a £10,000 donation to the fund today.

But Stephanie told Mirror Sport: “I am sad and disappointed that the club has made the decision not to hold the Bobby Moore Cup this year.”

After Moore died from bowel cancer, aged 51 in 1993, a fund in his name was set up in partnership with Cancer Research UK to raise money for research into the disease.

Arsenal have launched a stunning £23m raid for Liverpool keeper Pepe Reina, but face a massive battle to lure one of the Anfield club's prize assets.
The Sun

Manchester City will use Stephen Ireland as part of a player-plus-cash bid to persuade Aston Villa to part company with England international midfielder James Milner.
the Guardian

Stoke boss Tony Pulis is ready to offload Turkish midfielder-cum-striker Tuncay to Blackburn to help fund his £10m pursuit of Nice forward Loic Remy.
Daily Mail

Meanwhile, Pulis is poised to make a £12m offer to West Ham to bring striker Carlton Cole to the Britannia Stadium.
Daily Mirror

Blackburn Rovers boss Sam Allardyce is set to make a shock move for Aston Villa midfielder Nigel Reo-Coker.
Daily Mirror

Juventus midfielder Christian Poulson is on the verge of a switch to Liverpool, according to his agent.
Daily Mail

Everton defender Phil Jagielka will make his first England appearance since April 2009 in Wednesday's friendly against Hungary at Wembley as part of a number of changes by coach Fabio Capello to the squad that flopped at this summer's World Cup finals.
Daily Mail

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is considering ending his interview boycott with the BBC. The Premier League has warned United of the fines the Scot could incur this season if he continues to ignore Match of the Day and 5 live reporters, while the League Managers' Association has tried to persuade the 68-year-old to break his Beeb silence.
The Guardian

Leeds chairman Ken Bates believes half of foreign owners of British clubs "don't know what they're doing", branding Liverpool's American co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett "jokers".
Daily Mail

O'NEILL: MILNER ON BRINK OF MOVE
Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill has revealed James Milner could be close to signing for Man City.

FABREGAS COMMITTED TO ARSENAL
Cesc Fabregas insists he is "100 per cent focused" on playing for Arsenal this season.

DIOUF AGREES ROVERS LOAN MOVE
Blackburn will sign Manchester United striker Mame Biram Diouf on a season-long loan deal.

CITY STILL WANT BALOTELLI AND MILNER
Roberto Mancini says Manchester City still want to sign Mario Balotelli and James Milner.

FULL CESC FABREGAS STATEMENT
The full statement from Cesc Fabregas on his Arsenal future.

GANIS DEFENDS LIVERPOOL BID
Marc Ganis says any takeover by his consortium would be in Liverpool's best interests.

AGENT: POULSEN IS ROY'S MAN
Christian Poulsen's agent expects the Juventus midfielder to join Liverpool next week.

FERGIE EXPECTS TO KEEP CHEQUE BOOK SHUT
Manchester United striker Sir Alex Ferguson is adamant he will not buy for the sake of it.

BRUCE PLAYS DOWN HART BID
Sunderland boss Steve Bruce has played down his chances of landing Joe Hart on loan.

AGENT: BALOTELLI'S CITY MOVE STILL ON
Mario Balotelli's agent remains confident a deal can be agreed with Manchester City.

ANCELOTTI - NO TRUTH IN COENTRAO TALK
Carlo Ancelotti has dismissed rumours linking Chelsea with Fabio Coentrao as "totally rubbish".

CHAINRAI SET TO REGAIN POMPEY CONTROL
Balram Chainrai could take over Portsmouth for nothing, says the club's administrator.

MAN CITY REJECT ADEBAYOR RUMOURS
Man City have dismissed reports that they could sell Emmanuel Adebayor to Juventus.

SUNDERLAND NEAR MENSAH SWOOP
Sunderland deny they have signed John Mensah, but hope the deal will happen next week.

RAMIRES READY FOR CHELSEA MOVE
Ramires asked for advice from two former Arsenal players before deciding to join Chelsea.

O'NEILL NOT WORRIED BY RUMOUR MILL
Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill accepts the speculation over his future may never go away.

AGENT: NO RUSH FOR REMY DECISION
Loic Remy's agent says the Stoke target is in no rush to make a decision on his future.

AGENT - ROSSI STAYING AT VILLARREAL
Giuseppe Rossi's agent believes the Villarreal striker will stay in Spain for the coming season.

SMITH HOPEFUL OF FURTHER RECRUITMENT
Rangers boss Walter Smith will still be able to bring in more players if he secures Nikica Jelavic.
DEGEN LEAVES LIVERPOOL ON LOAN
Stuttgart have signed Liverpool right-back Philipp Degen on a season-long loan.

BOATENG WRANGLE FOR POMPEY
Kevin-Prince Boateng is in a stand-off with Portsmouth after he set his sights on a move to Genoa.

WELBECK AND DIOUF SET FOR LOAN MOVES
Man United strikers Danny Welbeck and Mame Biram Diouf are both set to go out on loan.

BOSTOCK MAKES TIGERS MOVE
Tottenham midfielder John Bostock has completed his season-long loan move to Hull.
LENNON HITS BACK AT CRITICISM
Celtic manager Neil Lennon has launched a vehement defence of his transfer record.
CITY STARLET CLAYTON JOINS LEEDS
Leeds have signed Manchester City youngster Adam Clayton on a month's loan.
BOLTON REJECT BLACKPOOL'S BASHAM BID
Bolton have rejected an offer for Chris Basham from Premier League rivals Blackpool.

BLUES FACE COMPETITION FOR DEMBELE
Birmingham are facing competition from West Brom for AZ Alkmaar's Moussa Dembele.

EMBARGO LIFTED, CLAIM CARDIFF
Cardiff boss Dave Jones claims the Football League have lifted their transfer embargo on the club.
PALACE CONFIRM BENNETT DEAL
Crystal Palace have signed Nottingham Forest defender Julian Bennett on a six-month loan deal.
CLEVERLEY WILL STAY AT MAN UNITED
Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed Tom Cleverley will stay at Man United this season.
LEICESTER CONFIRM INVESTMENT TALKS
Leicester have confirmed talks are "ongoing regarding potential investment in the club".

AGENT: NO BID FOR BEHRAMI
West Ham midfielder Valon Behrami is still a major player at Upton Park, according to his agent.

GUBERTI RETURNS TO SAMPDORIA
Sampdoria have brought Stefano Guberti back to the club in a joint-ownership deal with Roma.

PEDERSEN HAPPY TO STAY AT ROVERS
Morten Gamst Pedersen had offers from other clubs before committing his future to Blackburn.

KAPO TERMINATES WIGAN DEAL
Olivier Kapo has left Wigan after the player and club mutually agreed to his exit.

DE ROSSI WILL WAIT FOR NEW CONTRACT
Daniele De Rossi is in no hurry to sign a new contract with Roma.
MULLER SIGNS NEW BAYERN DEAL
Bayern Munich forward Thomas Muller has signed a new contract extension until 2015.

MBOKANI MAKES MONACO MOVE
Dieumerci Mbokani has completed his move to Monaco from Belgian outfit Standard Liege.

PORTSMOUTH CAN PLAN FOR FUTURE
Portsmouth could be back in the hands of Hong Kong businessman Balram Chainrai.

AGENT: JAY SIMPSON BIDS ACCEPTED
Jay Simpson's agent says "a couple of clubs" have agreed a deal with Arsenal to sign the striker

today in east ham

babe of the day

http://2.cdn.ddstatic.com/digitaldesire ... g/0015.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by cockney hammer on Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hongkonghammer

Re: saturday's gossip 7th august includes west ham

Post by hongkonghammer »

Cheers CH.

Hot and humid with a storm brewing here.
hammer
Strangely fascinated with Bonehead's arse.

Post by hammer »

orpingtonhammer

Post by orpingtonhammer »

Morning CH.....mild drizzle.... aargh CC.. and thank you
tugboatpete

Post by tugboatpete »

We do not want yakubu-end of
munichhammer
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by munichhammer »

Good morning and thanks Mr CH.

Drizzling here.
rompling

Post by rompling »

Ben Shephard seems to know his stuff - nice !! :thup:
orpingtonhammer

Post by orpingtonhammer »

rompling wrote:Ben Shephard seems to know his stuff - nice !! :thup:
Whats the weather like....driving down in an hour ?
rompling

Post by rompling »

]Ben Shephard seems to know his stuff - nice !! :thup:

Whats the weather like....driving down in an hour ?[/quote]

Overcast but no rain the big gay pride parade is on so traffic will be mental by 11am :|
hammerbenj

Post by hammerbenj »

Sod the gossip that babe looks proper dirty!

Nice one CH

:thup:
Xander
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Xander »

Stoke - f*ck off, BOTD - top marks CH :thup:
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 872 likes
Total likes: 849 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Cheers :thup: BOTD Yes Please!!

Cole to Stoke - F.O
Yak to WHU - F.O

NO NO NO
leytonhammer

Post by leytonhammer »

I do hope this s**t about Carlton is a load of journo bo***ks as many people have already suggested!

Thanks anyway CH :thup:
west ham15
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Cheers CH :thup:
SL

Post by SL »

BOTD picture 12 :wink:
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

SL wrote:BOTD picture 12 :wink:

and if i done that i would be banned :wink:
Cockney Rebel
Location: Isle of Dogs... with Manhattan in the background...

Post by Cockney Rebel »

Cheers CH :thup:

It's looking rather cloudy on the Costa del Isle of Dogs at the moment!
Hammer Matty
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by Hammer Matty »

Morning

Cheers CH
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9654 likes

Post by S-H »

CH thanks as always! :thup: :crest:
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2035 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Would be the worst deal of the century. I know some people on here don't rate Carlton, and some seem to be in love with Yakubu...but I'm sure I speak for the majority on here regarding this deal.